'Highly confidential' iPad, iPhone prototypes revealed in court documents

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If you marry the two, you will get a bastard phone...., called...., yes my child an Iphone....

It's so obvious that's exactly what Apple did!!1! You should be an industrial designer, seeing as you have the design process all nailed and all.

• Reply 42 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At least in a couple months we'll get more Doctor Who. Steven Moffat is my favorite TV writer. Have you seen Coupling or Sherlock?

Moffat is absolutely fantastic. Sherlock is one of the best made mini-series I have seen. As for Coupling, well, it is my favourite series. Phenomenally funny and an excellent cast. It's a pity Richard Coyle opted out of Season 4. I haven't seen him in anything since though.

• Reply 43 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mcrs wrote: »

Uhm ya..., 2006 Apple had the i-bastard "prototype", but in 2006 both Sony Ericsson C-63 and LG Prada's final products were already released. When these two already released their products by 2006, you can bet their respective prototypes ought to have been existed way before then. I guess you have trouble to think chronologically. As if shooting yourself in a foot, you also admitted that it was not until 2010 when Apple perfected the i-bastard. And, here's the kicker, of all possible "prototypes", you chose the one with Sony logo on it. Of course, you'll say the logo meant "inspired by..." instead of "copied from..." Sony. Hilarious. I don;t know whether Sony should feel "flattered" or "flabbergasted" by this blatant ["inspiration"/"copy"] of their products by Apple.

LG had decided not to sue Apple in 2007 because LG supplied certain parts for I-bastard, ehr..., Iphone, but now after the phenomenal success of Apple-inspired-by device, LG should start thinking about suing Apple for billions of dollars, and LG will win the claim hands down. 

My point was, the fact that Apple had this prototype in 2006 shows the iPhone 4 was not a copy of the Prada but a refinement of their own design. And why would LG sue Apple in 2007 for a phone Apple didn't release until 2010? Also no where in these documents is Samsung claiming Apple "copied" the Sony Ericsson C-63. Their claim is Apple passed around a Businessweek interview with someone st Sony who explained how they thought a device should be designed. No where in that interview do they specifically mention a black bar with silver band. The mockup with the Sony logo is Apple designers creating something based on what they felt a Sony phone might look like, not an actual Sony product that was available to the public. The Sony Ericsson C-63 you reference.....remind me again when that was available for the public to buy? I'm only aware of it being a concept, not something that was ever sold to the public. And anyway no one in their right mind would mistake any iPhone for that concept.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It is an Apple design, they put the Sony logo on there to illustrate what they thought a Sony designed phone might look like (though I don't think any of them did at that time).

Or perhaps they put the Sony logo on there so that in the event of a leak no one would think it was from Apple and would just dismiss it. 

• Reply 45 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    There's absolutely no way Intel made the MacBook Air. The mistake here is actually listening to those idiotic comments.

Yes, our mods should remove anti Apple tripe / wink

This one is on par with that other big lie, 'Bill Gates saved Apple with his tiny purchase of Apple stock' .... Never mind the the truth about QuickTime theft, penalties and saving face tactics and agreed PR stratedgy.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Samsungs now look like us. And they have a plan.

My first reaction was that was very funy then I thought ... Wait a minute ....
  • Reply 47 of 77
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Oh I miss Battlestar Galactica.
    EDit: Oh I miss Cylon Number Six.

Mmmm, six. There is certainly a dearth of good scifi shows on the air today, IMHO.

On topic, I think that phone proto type looks pretty good. Making the leap to a full faced touch screen phone must have been difficult to do.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    i love the "coffin" iPhone show on the verge's photo gallery!... quite the special edition, just for the once "goth" scene. IMO

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/3191793/apple-iphone-prototype-pictures#3597770

well when i think about it, it is the precursor to the original iPhone, meaning they rounded the corners of the iPhone prototype...
  • Reply 49 of 77

Quote:

That's what I thought but man you get these people who write as if they really know their shit, when clearly they don't. I must say though the comments at The Verge are much more balanced than anything you'd get at Engadget or CNET. You get more intelligent conversation and less trolling. I guess the good posters left Engadget and flocked to The Verge.

If the incessant cr4p we get here from the fandroids keeps up -- it's getting to the stage where Gresham's law is increasingly at work -- I'll probably end up on Verge too.

• Reply 50 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

prove it

There's nothing to prove to people like you.

• Reply 51 of 77

Quote:

Court documents show Samsung's unhealthy obsession with all things Apple.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/27/3192614/samsungs-beat-apple-strategy-copying-court-documents

I love this. "Like heaven and earth." Just about says it all. Truer words have not been spoken. And, to think that's from Samsung! image

• Reply 52 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I love this. "Like heaven and earth." Just about says it all. Truer words have not been spoken. And, to think that's from Samsung! image

From the link:

The most common pattern is that a customer returns the product which was purchased because the customer thought it was an Apple iPad2 [sic]

TENS. OF. BILLIONS. IN. DAMAGES. Samsung has absolutely no chance to win anything here. Heck, make it 100 billion.

• Reply 53 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From the link:

TENS. OF. BILLIONS. IN. DAMAGES. Samsung has absolutely no chance to win anything here. Heck, make it 100 billion.

Can you imagine what other gems we might have found had Samsung not "accidentally" erased emails?

• Reply 54 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Can you imagine what other gems we might have found had Samsung not "accidentally" erased emails?

Yep. Absolutely incredible. Even the stuff that didn't get 'accidentally' erased is pretty damning.

Imagine "The most common pattern is that a customer returns the product which was purchased because the customer thought it was an Apple iPad2 [sic]" being in their business documents. Pretty much proves Apple's case for them.

It also should shut up all the Samsung shills here who keep insisting that no one could possibly confuse them. So not only are Samsung's attorneys unable to tell the difference, but Samsung's customers are confused by the slavish copies, as well.
  • Reply 55 of 77

I thought Apple destroyed all their prototypes after two weeks.

• Reply 56 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I thought Apple destroyed all their prototypes after two weeks.

Where'd you hear that? Though I suppose this could be destroyed by now.

On that note, I want one of these as my landline. It's still gorgeous.

• Reply 57 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where'd you hear that? Though I suppose this could be destroyed by now.

On that note, I want one of these as my landline. It's still gorgeous.

hahah

and oops that is Samsung emails that get destroyed after two weeks. My bad

• Reply 58 of 77
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Leaving alone the LG Prada anteriority, Samsung will clearly pull that -relevant- string.

"Apple Looked to Sony for iPhone Design Inspiration"
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/259842/apple_looked_to_sony_for_iphone_design_inspiration.html
  • Reply 59 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

prove it

I hate to quote a hack like Carl Sagan but you have it entirely backwards here.  

"The onus for proof is always on the one making the outlandish claim."  

Person 1: "The sky is not blue, it's pink." (outlandish claim)

Person 2: "No it's not, it's clearly blue." 

You (to Person 2): "Prove it!"

• Reply 60 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Folk, any dates on these Apple prototypes, I think everyone including Samsung assumes they are from 2006. If I have to venture an educated guess these prototype or mock up go back to early 2000's not a year or two before the introduction of the iphone. They do these long before they ever commit a hardware to a cad drawing. These ideas along with the actual GUI was mocked up 3 to 4 yrs before they actually began making the design and this is what Apple will use to show they were ahead of the competition. Most of the competition was still thinking about putting keyboards and dial pads on their phones until the iPhone came out and showed you no longer need it.