Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'

1235721

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 407
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post


    So Henry Ford invented the assembly line and revolutionized the auto industry producing the Model-T.  And you are saying that Apple has basically done the same?  Why is that such a crime?  You sound like you don't like Apple and what they did for the Smart Phone.  Maybe you think we should all turn in our iPhones and go with Samsung because Apple copied others who couldn't get it right?  WTF is you beef dude?


     


    One more thing.  Consider the Dyson Vacuum Cleaner.  IS he guilty of designing a better vacuum based off of the old designs.  No he is guilty of being sick and tired of sub par vacuums that are a pain in the ass so he did something about it.  So Orec (a vacuum manufacturer) should sue him or take him to court for basically making something that has existed for nearly a century.  Even though it existed for nearly a century doesn't make the Dyson Vacuum wrong.  It makes it good.  Every person has the right in this country to file for a patent on their invention and enjoy the spoils of the creative work they have achieved.  That makes it good for the inventor.  That way he can live a better life knowing that the competition can't copy him and destroy any such profit based on his genius and ingenuity.



     


    What DaHarder is essentially saying is that Thomas Edison was a boob.

  • Reply 82 of 407
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    andysol wrote: »
    Fitting that as you zoom in on the Mac screen, the only distinguishable name you see is "I_Am_Not_A_Troll"  lol

    Yeah... Looks like you were being just as 'trollishly idiotic' there as you are here. Go Figure.
  • Reply 83 of 407
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


     


    And you wonder why people complain about your posts. Seriously? Apple has invented nothing? All they do is improve on what others have done? This is beyond stupid, and making such a blanket statement is enough for people to discount anything else you say.


     


     


    There are a lot of racists out there who say something like: "I'm Black so this isn't racist. I'm just commenting on things my people do that bother me." It's called the "concerned troll". Someone who claims to like or support a company, but only has negative things to say because they want the company to improve their products and get rid of the defects.


     


     


    Highly selective? Your very first post in this thread is pure garbage and contributes nothing worthwhile to the discussion. In fact, I went back to a couple other recent threads and your first posts in those were crap too. So tell us, how is that "highly selective" when the first words out of your mouth are nothing more than a toilet flushing?



    Attention is attention whether it's good or bad, just like a child who constantly acts in an irritating or abrasive way just so they will be yelled at.

  • Reply 84 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What DeHarder was describing is called "incremental design." It's quite common. Before Apple entered the phone and tablet markets incremental design was de rigueur. Remember the phones before the iPhone where trying to surf the internet was a total joke? Remember how almost impossible it was to download an optional app? Incremental design really never rethinks anything. 

    Innovative design, which is how Apple designs, comes at the problem differently and starts afresh. No keyboard?? Such an idea made the CEOs of MS and RIM laugh... they couldn't imagine such a thing. 

    Great advances don't come about incrementally. As Einstein said, "You cannot solve a problem with the same mentality that created it." I would add, you cannot even see a problem with the old mentality that created it.

    There is another saying, "The invention of one generation is the necessity of the next." Part of the problem of this trial happening during the 5th iPhone and 3rd iPad's release is that the world that once couldn't conceive of these products now see these as the only way to move forward. That could hurt Apple if that can't show that there other paths to take and being taken until Apple made the only path that was worth taking toward the future by virtue of their ideas and execution being so much more advanced than the competition.

    Remember how the dissenters said that Apple didn't have a chance because the cellphone market was so entrenched? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because their smartphones were so much more advanced? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance because it didn't have a physical keyboard? For some reason all those lame arguments have fallen away and in their place have sprung remarks about how it was obvious and the only option moving forward.
  • Reply 85 of 407
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    So what is Samsung to do? 


    1. Don't use the bounce. OK.


    2. Don't use the double tap. OK


    3. Don't use a horizontal swipe to unlock. OK.


    I think all of those things could be easily licensed easily enough.


     


    So what should Apple do? 


    1. Pay the licensing fees for the FRAND patents.


     


    So, the only issue is trade and dress. Should Samsung not be allowed to make black or white tablets? Should Samsung not be able to make a tablet that is as thin or thinner than the competition? Should Samsung not be able to use a glass touchscreen? 


     


    These are serious questions. At what point does Apple "own" the tablet design that uses black/white, rectangular shape, glass touchscreen panel, etc etc? Is Apple the ONLY company that can use this design. Must everyone else make an ugly looking tablet? I base the idea of attractiveness on what the customer expects. There are certain car designs elements that are expected in a sleek and sexy car. So if Toyota wants to make a sleek sports car must they avoid using smooth lines so as not to upset the other automobile manufacturers? 


     


    At some point this crap has to end.



     


    "Rectangular with round edges" is one of Apple's central arguments in its lawsuit, and Apple fanboys/cult love this stuff.


    If you don't love it, too, then you're going to get an earful from them. And even if you claim that you're just trying to be objective despite owning an iPhone 4s, multiple iPods and two or three iPads, they'll go right ahead and call you an Apple hater. :)

  • Reply 86 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    eric475 wrote: »
    "Rectangular with round edges" is one of Apple's central arguments in its lawsuit, and Apple fanboys/cult love this stuff.
    If you don't love it, too, then you're going to get an earful from them. And even if you claim that you're just trying to be objective despite owning an iPhone 4s, multiple iPods and two or three iPads, they'll go right ahead and call you an Apple hater. :)

    Really? You're claiming that's Apple central argument is to disallow anyone else from using a rectangle with a rounded corner?

    If you are so sure of that then show me where Apple's lawyers have argued such a thing and that Samsung's lawyers have pointed out that rectangles and rounded corners have existed since before Thales of Miletus.
  • Reply 87 of 407
    solipsismx wrote: »
    There is another saying, "The invention of one generation is the necessity of the next." Part of the problem of this trial happening during the 5th iPhone and 3rd iPad's release is that the world that once couldn't conceive of these products now see these as the only way to move forward. That could hurt Apple if that can't show that there other paths to take and being taken until Apple made the only path that was worth taking toward the future by virtue of their ideas and execution being so much more advanced than the competition.
    Remember how the dissenters said that Apple didn't have a chance because the cellphone market was so entrenched? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because their smartphones were so much more advanced? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because it didn't have a physical keyboard? For some reason all those lame arguments have fallen away and in their place have sprung remarks about how it was obvious and the only option moving forward.

    What we need are the next generation of leaders. The current guard or way is inadequate at fostering creative thinking necessary for producing innovative products.
  • Reply 88 of 407

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


     


    Just because I happen to own dozens upon dozens of Apple products doesn't mean that they do no wrong.... It's a Tech Company, Not A Cult.


     


    image



     


    Cult? The only people who use that term use it in the pejorative.


    No, you don't hate Apple as much as you don't like people who love Apple.

  • Reply 89 of 407

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


     


    What DeHarder was describing is called "incremental design." It's quite common. Before Apple entered the phone and tablet markets incremental design was de rigueur. Remember the phones before the iPhone where trying to surf the internet was a total joke? Remember how almost impossible it was to download an optional app? Incremental design really never rethinks anything. 


     


    Innovative design, which is how Apple designs, comes at the problem differently and starts afresh. No keyboard?? Such an idea made the CEOs of MS and RIM laugh... they couldn't imagine such a thing. 


     


    Great advances don't come about incrementally. As Einstein said, "You cannot solve a problem with the same mentality that created it." I would add, you cannot even see a problem with the old mentality that created it.



     


    Now if we can just get an expert to testify to this on the witness stand, GAME OVER SAMSUNG.

  • Reply 90 of 407
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Really? You're claiming that's Apple central argument is to disallow anyone else from using a rectangle with a rounded corner?

    If you are so sure of that then show me where Apple's lawyers have argued such a thing and that Samsung's lawyers have pointed out that rectangles and rounded corners have existed since before Thales of Miletus.


    I tried to disguise myself as an Apple fanboy but my feeble attempts have backfired.

  • Reply 91 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


     


    Why the **** are you here if you don't think Apple as a company deserves a shred of credit and don't like any of their products? I'm serious. Why? Why waste your time on an Apple fan site?



     


    I wonder if he's using a WebKit based browser to post this trash?

  • Reply 92 of 407
    eric475 wrote: »
    I tried to disguise myself as an Apple fanboy but my feeble attempts have backfired.

    Blocked.
  • Reply 93 of 407
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


     


    Cult? The only people who use that term use it in the pejorative.


    No, you don't hate Apple as much as you don't like people who love Apple.



     


    Oh Really... You. Fail. Yet. Again.


     


    image


     


     


    Anyway... The sooner all of this nonsensical litigation ends - The better for the entire industry.

  • Reply 94 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post





    Really? I guess it is safe to say that it is common knowledge then, that Apple stole RIM's BBM, Google's Notification Center and a whole host of Android design features like ota os updates, split keyboard, and now we see Apple attempting to copy Google maps/earth.

    Funny, but it's probably safe to say, you don't think any of that is 'stealing' by Apple though, right?


     


    Is that the same Google Maps, Google used in Android to help to destroy Nokia, who were unable to monetize their investment in Navteq?


     


    Apple used a similar notification centre as that found in the Newton, waaa-aaay back in the early nineties.


     


    Anyway isn't Android as open as something like WebKit, which according to your twisted logic Google "stole" off Apple.

  • Reply 95 of 407

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


     


    ...and it appears that Apple had been 'inspired' by Samsung designs long before the iPhone ever existed:


     


     


    In 2005 Samsung had just released the SGH-E910 "fashion phone" with a similar arrangement, and iPod head Tony Fadell sent an Engadget blog post about the phone to Jobs and other Apple execs. "Weird way to hold the cellphone," said Fadell, but using the round center control pad "seems comfortable." Upon seeing the design, Jobs was typically direct. "This may be our answer — we could put the number pad around our click wheel," he wrote to Jony Ive and Apple designer Bas Ording. "Of course we should orient it like a watch, with 3, 6, 9, and * in the pure horizontal and vertical positions, just like any clock." 


    image


     


    image


    *The Verge



     



    You're joking right?  LOL That was hilarious!  Show another example. 

  • Reply 96 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    Reasonable question. The tax thing for one. Other US companies do this and I don't like them either. My dislike is very much centered on Apple building itself up on the backs of other, in this case students, and then forgetting about them. Case in point. When the iPod came out Apple was giving discounts to students who purchased them. Apple also gave discounts to students who bought computers. As the iPod became more ubiquitous Apple stopped giving students a discount. Apple has also continued to reduce the discount that students receive when buying a computer. Finally, Apple used to give a free iPod to students who bought a new system for the fall. First they reduced the value of the credit to a new iPod and now have switched over to giving $100 credit on iTunes.


     


    I am sure some folks will claim students are lucky to get anything at all (true) and that the students who bring this up (of which I am one - returning student) are self-centered/self-important/self-entitled. Those statements might hold water if Apple had never given better discounts to students in the past. But as Apple's profits and market share have risen, they have reduced what the students who supported them receive. 


     


    Also, I have been using Apple computers since my first Apple IIc, and I have never gotten over how Apple overprices their systems. Yes, they last and yes they are easy to use, but the elitest attitude of Apple and Jobs always rubbed me the wrong way. 


     


    Why do I keep buying Apple products? Because, up to now, they have been the best choice for use on a day to day basis. But, I am really starting to reconsider whether that is true or not anymore, especially considering the direction that OSX seems to be heading. As it stands, we are going to be stuck with Snow Leopard until our Mac Mini dies. :(



     


    According to Samsung, only 1% of iPhone/iPad purchases are due to the design...


     


    ...so much for "eliteness".


     


    As far as your Mac Mini goes, Samsung and Google have combined to provide a nice replacement so you can send your money to South Korea:-


     


     


    image

  • Reply 97 of 407
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post



    Yeah... Looks like you were being just as 'trollishly idiotic' there as you are here. Go Figure.


     


    Are you having a little trouble finding those positive posts of yours?


     


    When can we expect them?
  • Reply 98 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ayoo View Post


     


     


     


    DaHarder spent days and nights (literally) on Engadget doing the same thing.  This is nothing new.  Google his name wrapped with quotation marks.  You will literally see thousands (no joke) of negative Apple comments across the web.  


     


    He thinks owning a few Apple products makes his consistently hateful Apple views OK.



    I've seen him over at Endgadget, DaDumber I think it is.

  • Reply 99 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Come on, no name calling, especially when there is so much material to work with.
  • Reply 100 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because their smartphones were so much more advanced? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because it didn't have a physical keyboard? For some reason all those lame arguments have fallen away and in their place have sprung remarks about how it was obvious and the only option moving forward.


     


    It was "stylus" for the Asian markets, you know to write asian characters.

Sign In or Register to comment.