NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Could you explain this or is it just some random bigoted remark?  That is to say are you an actual bigot or are you just posting *seemingly* bigoted remarks cause you think it's funny if someone reacts to it?  Either way it's pretty childish, and kinda comes form the same headspace, no?

No I was putting myself in his place and very much feeling sorry for his loss as those killed in the temple massacre could have very well been friends or family. That mixed with the excitement of the Mars landing could have been rather stressful. Sorry I should have been more clear.

• Reply 62 of 138
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

To be picky, that picture is not really the control room. For pictures/video of the control room:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/panorama20120804.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/08/watch-the-nasa-control-room-react-to-curiositys-martian-touchdown/260734/

Didn't anyone ever tell you that "the truth should never stand in the way of a good story"? Indeed, this does look more like a break room than any mission control I've ever seen though....

• Reply 63 of 138
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

He worked on the Mars Climate Orbiter, too, right?

;-)

NASA use exclusively Thinkpad(the best) on their orbiters and space station..

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/Resupply_image_011.html

• Reply 64 of 138

Would you trust your $2 billion project to a Windows machine?  I think not.

• Reply 65 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

NASA use exclusively Thinkpad(the best) on their orbiters and space station..

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/Resupply_image_011.html

20 October 2003 Soyuz TMA-3

• Reply 66 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Please, you know that IS not true.

Some pro people are very happy with these .apps. 

They lost me after their first productivity app they mentioned was Twitter...

• Reply 67 of 138

The ultimate Genius Bar.

• Reply 68 of 138
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

That's how OS X rolls...

• Reply 69 of 138
    s4boness4bones Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Wait what numbering system are you using?  I use decimal.  I am going right off the first picture.. you know the one showing 5 macbooks.  Is the 25 number wrong?  It was approximate.  If you want me to count the people on the other side of the glass then it's probably closer to 30?  So yeah I guess you're right.  30 people, 5 macbooks.

Really?!? You android idiots really need to learn how to count!! You morons seem to know when a crapdroid has more mhz...

there are 2-3 which i believe are macs but cannot verify..

• Reply 70 of 138
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No I was putting myself in his place and very much feeling sorry for his loss as those killed in the temple massacre could have very well been friends or family. That mixed with the excitement of the Mars landing could have been rather stressful. Sorry I should have been more clear.

My apologies.  I definitely over reacted. 

• Reply 71 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4bones View Post

Really?!? You android idiots really need to learn how to count!! You morons seem to know when a crapdroid has more mhz...

A bit over the top for an insignificant subject. I'm absolutely certain that you could number a pic to prove a point without mating it with three ad-homs, making you sound juvenile. I would hope that wasn't your intent.

• Reply 72 of 138
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    ochyming wrote: »
    Those are ?personal? computers not NASA ones certainly,
    And you can tell this be ause everyone who works at NASA brings their own personal computer to work and puts an inventory control tag on the top left corner as shown in he photos?
  • Reply 73 of 138
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

No wonder NASA is suffering, they are spending 90% of their funding on Macs. What a waste of money, a PC would be more productive.

For your information PC machines cost more than Macs...stop comparing strip down basic Dell with Macs but compare similar equipped machine and you will see PCs are much more expensive i.e. Thinkpads, Dell Xps, Asus..

• Reply 74 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I know you're just a troll, but in fact NASA is a very cost effective and efficient operation, much more so than any part of the military for instance.  

The only reason NASA is "suffering" is because their budgets are constantly being cut back in favour of more bombs and guns for the military.  Their entire budget is a faction of a fraction of almost nothing relative to the rest of the economy and only die-hard conservatives and tea party idiots believe that crap about NASA "wasting" money.  

It's propaganda, not reality. 

While I agree that NASA serves a useful purpose and that we spend far too much money on the military, the rest is fairly histrionic. NASA's budget is $19 B this year. That's real money.
  • Reply 75 of 138
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member

That was nicknamed the "Apollo 13" project.

• Reply 76 of 138
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Makes sense those guys are using OS X. Most of the stuff they are working with is running Linux and/or VxWorks, using X11 for the GUI stuff. Having a full BSD userland, GNU toolchain and X server available on your laptop if you are working on this kind of stuff is a huge benefit. Most unix programs compile and run on OS X without modification, and you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get remote X and a halfway decent shell.

Using Linux would probably be the only viable alternative, but if I had a choice I'd take OS X any day of the week. At work I'm on Linux all day, and while it's a great OS that's both powerful and fun to use, It can't hold a candle against OS X if it comes to usability and average application quality.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yay the Mac! Not that Apple will give a stuff, they don't care about people using their products for serious work, they only want to sell you more rock songs.

Not that clear on Apple's business model, huh?

• Reply 78 of 138
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rkriver View Post

When Chick-fil-A COO, Dan Cathy, was asked about the Curiosity rover's seemingly successful Martian landing, he said, "Those scientists would learn more exploring the Bible than some decoration God hung in the sky."

Now that is awesome!

How can USA be the most powerful country on earth still?

• Reply 79 of 138
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

You really need to learn to count. I see 20 macs and at least another 100 I can not confirm.

• Reply 80 of 138
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And you can tell this be ause everyone who works at NASA brings their own personal computer to work and puts an inventory control tag on the top left corner as shown in he photos?

Yeah, i miss that. Here in Portugal the government gives everything to Microsoft, you even need a Windows OS to declare your taxes.