NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ask the people in Grenada what they think of the invasion. Or for that matter the people in Iraq. Frankly the world is suffering more from our lack of military intervention than because of it. There are many bad players out there right now leading to suffering by millions. Look at North Koreea, Syria, Eygpt, and a host of African countries where people suffer at the hands of their governments.

Who made us world police?  We have people starving in our own country and we spend billions barging into other countries.  Not to mention wasting money on stupid stuff like illegally searching Kim Dotcom's mansion or trying to extradite people from the UK who haven't broken British law.  I won't even get started on the existence of the DEA and the war on drugs.

Quote:

The reality is they have been shiftless and lazy and only seem willing to find nonproductive leftist agenda items. NASA is a perfect example where coherent direction from congress could lead to stream lining the organization and getting us back on track with space exploration. It is unfortunate but congress seems to have forgotten that Aeronautics and Space are the reasons NASA was created and are what NASA should be focused on.

Since when is the GOP all about leftist agenda items?  They have practiced the fine art of saying no and having a record breaking number of filibusters.  There are unending debates about the usefulness of the auto bailout, the Fannie/Freddy/banks bailout, the health care bill and the stimulus package.  Many good things have come about as a result.  Many things seem to pretty clearly be money that was flushed down the drain. 

I'm not sure if Congress are the ones we should have guiding NASA.  It seems like they just need to loosen the purse strings.

• Reply 102 of 138
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Oh come on here, Apple sells electronic gadgets and computers, it is really nothing special in the overall view of things. There are many companies and universities making real contributions to the betterment of humanity. Your statement is enough to turn stomachs in people with a wider view of the world.

Ask the people in Grenada what they think of the invasion. Or for that matter the people in Iraq. Frankly the world is suffering more from our lack of military intervention than because of it. There are many bad players out there right now leading to suffering by millions. Look at North Koreea, Syria, Eygpt, and a host of African countries where people suffer at the hands of their governments.

That would be totally assinine!! There is plenty of money in the budget for that sort of thing, it is called welfare!

That is complete BS.

More BS.

Interesting. The NASA budget and money spent on education and medical research etc. is somehow "welfare"; and you seem to be against your taxes going for these programs...fair enough, that's your money and so  that is absolutely your right. But one thing that has always puzzled me about hawks is the lack of consistency in their economic outlook...they moan about "government spending" and "welfare" ad infinitum, yet somehow military spending—the biggest government spending program of them all—somehow gets let off the hook every single time and the blind eye is always conveniently turned, much as it was when Wall Street—those corporate welfare bums—got bailed out by your and my hard-earned tax dollars. 

As for asking the people in Iraq what they think of the war, uh, have you ever been to Iraq and spoken to them? You probably should do that or at least stop blindly believing what Fox News Corporation propaganda rams down your throat. With respect, do yourself a favor and read some Chalmers Johnson (Blowback, The Sorrow of Empire, etc.). Johnson is no flakey hippie but an ex-CIA hawk who saw where current trends have led America. He provides an excellent analysis of this stuff. 

I respect you not agreeing with my opinion but "That is complete BS" and "More BS" don't exactly constitute brilliant deductions, my good fellow.

• Reply 103 of 138
    gooneryoda wrote: »

Steve Ballmer turns bright red when he sees that. Promises to wipe that grin off Phil Schiller's stupid face.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

OS XI naming scheme to use celestial objects? 

• Reply 105 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

OS XI naming scheme to use celestial objects? 

I thought we've considered that a given ever since Leopard went with a space-themed intro movie and Desktop background.

• Reply 106 of 138

Now that's what you call an APPLE ORCHARD!

• Reply 107 of 138
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Being fully aware of both, his comment was still offensive and bigoted. That might not have been his intention, but the sparseness of the comment would leave one to think his intentions where less than honorable.

The Wizard of Troll strikes again...

Idiot Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 108 of 138
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Look at all those creative professionals.

• Reply 109 of 138
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yay the Mac! Not that Apple will give a stuff, they don't care about people using their products for serious work, they only want to sell you more rock songs.

Pandering for some recognition? Sorry, but your broad generality just doesn't wash from my direct experiences.

• Reply 110 of 138
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

It's nice to see the macs slowly taking over the world. But I'm also noticing a trend in movies and TV, where a Mac computer will have it's logo covered over. Two and a half men being the most up front example. Every time Ashton Kutcher is using one of his computers, there is a glaring sliver decal covering the Apple logo.

This logo sticker covering needs to stop.....

• Reply 111 of 138

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

It's nice to see the macs slowly taking over the world. But I'm also noticing a trend in movies and TV, where a Mac computer will have it's logo covered over. Two and a half men being the most up front example. Every time Ashton Kutcher is using one of his computers, there is a glaring sliver decal covering the Apple logo.

This logo sticker covering needs to stop.....

Because it's advertising for which Apple isn't paying. They won't stop until Apple gives them money.

• Reply 112 of 138
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

I also noticed a lot of Android phones after the landing, when everyone was taking pictures and texting. Makes sense, as I'm sure these are the sort of folks that like to hack their mobile devices.

• Reply 113 of 138

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Makes sense, as I'm sure these are the sort of folks that like to hack their mobile devices.

Sarcasm?

• Reply 114 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The guy with the IBM PC is the only holdover from the Mars Surveyor program.

He wanted a MBP, but the guy at Best Buy told him THIS one was just as good. Now his PC can't run any of the same software as everyone else.

• Reply 115 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Ask the people in Grenada what they think of the invasion. Or for that matter the people in Iraq. Frankly the world is suffering more from our lack of military intervention than because of it. There are many bad players out there right now leading to suffering by millions. Look at North Koreea, Syria, Eygpt, and a host of African countries where people suffer at the hands of their governments. .

Have you asked?

I haven't been to all of those countries, but I have had business relationships with most of them and few, if any, were happy to see the US invade.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ssquirrel wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_United_States_federal_budget#Total_outlays_by_agency
    NASA requested 18.2B for 2012 and received 17.7B.  The DOD got 683B, which was more than 8 times the next biggest government agency.  This is on a total budget expenditure of $3.796T.  So the DOD is 18% of the federal budget and NASA is 0.47%.  BTW, yes 17.7B is real money, but it's absolute peanuts when looking at our total expenses.  For those wondering, yes, the DOD has a budget more than 38x bigger than NASA's.

Cut that defense budget in half and give NASA an extra 100B for the rest of the decade and let's see what they could do on a real budget.

Federal 1963 budget: $111,316,000,000
    NASA 1963 budget: $4,291,279

After inflation: $32,607,752.40
    1963 NASA budget was .00386% of our expenses that year. (cue some rant about modern NASA being more wasteful w/o taking into account cost increases beyond inflation)

Historic budget info and calculator:
    http://federal-budget.findthedata.org/l/65/1963
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4214/app2.html
    http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm/

As I said, I agreed that we're spending too much on the military and that NASA's budget is not out of line with its objectives. I simply objected to the hyperbolic statement that NASA's budget is "a fraction of a fraction of a nothing". When people start treating $18 B as "a fraction of a fraction of a nothing", you know they've lost any sense of value or perspective.

BTW, I believe your figures are wrong. NASA peaked at over 4% of the national budget and is now 0.5%.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget

Your percentages are far, far too low.
  • Reply 117 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Being fully aware of both, his comment was still offensive and bigoted. That might not have been his intention, but the sparseness of the comment would leave one to think his intentions where less than honorable.

Really? I fully explained my position and apologized for not clarifying more fully my statement long before you put in your two cents. There was nothing in the original statement or the following remarks that a should have been construed as bigoted or insensitive. You are the one with evil thoughts in their head. The comments were sparse as I did not want to derail the thread however I thought intelligent readers would be able to detect the sadness in my remarks nevertheless.

• Reply 118 of 138
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

To be picky, that picture is not really the control room. For pictures/video of the control room:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/panorama20120804.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/08/watch-the-nasa-control-room-react-to-curiositys-martian-touchdown/260734/

Cool! I see a couple Macs there, and a lot of Suns. (Lately I kind of forgot Sun existed, but I used to envy a coworker with a Sparcstation!)

The main think I get from that control room though is a craving for salty snacks. Looks like the peanuts flow like wine.

• Reply 119 of 138
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [SIZE=4]Breathtaking view of the Milky Way from the surface of Mars[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/9964/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 120 of 138
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just wait until NASA's iCloud account get hacked and they use Find My Rover to wipe Curiosity's drive.

i hope their iCloud account is doing regular backups while connected on wifi