Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    A tempest in a teapot. In the end, it doesn't really stop anything. iOS users will probably have quicker turn-around on new YouTube and Google maps features, since they don't have to get timed with new releases of iOS. But leave it to DaHater to spin this into a negative, anti-Apple rant.
  • Reply 82 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Obviously AI is going to have a pro-Apple opinion on this. At the risk of being called a troll, despite about 95% of my posts being pro-Apple and being here for years etc, this is a very very bad move. 

Think the average user. I mentioned something about iOS 6 recently and a non-technical friend replied on Twitter that she was looking forward to it. Shes a big iPhone fan.

What she will get - the most obvious things at least are

1) An inferior map service with no StreetView

2) No youtube.

Whats new?  From here - http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Apples-iOS-6-Whats-New-and-Whats-Missing/?page=1 - because I honestly forget.

Siri on iPads.

Reading list. 

FB integration.

Passbook, smassbook.

FaceTime over 3G

An Iphone user wont notice siri on iPads. Reading list is a minor addition. FB integration wont matter, as apps do that already where they need to. Passbook wont be useful off the bat. iCloud integration on Safari is a small update, and matters to people with more than one device. FaceTime, not really used on iPhones and you better never use it on a data plan.

So, the update will seem like a regression to the average user. They will download and wonder what has changed and miss youtube and google maps. The day after a general release the conversation will be how to download google maps and you tube. 

This is nuts: just as Apple uses google search, it should use google where it has to, where Google is better. And cut the crap.

I think the jury is still out on the new Maps app.  Here is a 3D view of Apple HQ (I've never been to this location) and it does a pretty good approximation of Street view.  There are a few anomalies in the rendering... but it's quite good!

It's kind of amazing when you realize that these views are interpolated from arial photographs -- no trucks driving around. 

I've found that you can navigate more quickly with this 3D view -- you just drag to where you want to go, rather than take a series of incremental steps (taps).  

Also, it is easier to see where you are (and not get lost)  because you can zoom in/out to an overview (as opposed to a close up of the street view).

Finally, I suspect it will be a lot easier to update (and keep in sync) as the new 3D Street View Approximation comes from the same source data as the 3D Flyover view... if you have Flyover 3D -- you automatically have Street 3D

Hybrid View (notice the restaurant icons on the roof)

Map view

• Reply 83 of 144
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.

That's some huge slippery slope you got on...  I, on the other hand, see no reason to benefit a particular company, especially one that already enjoys a monopoly and has been doing everything they possibly can to undermine Apple's efforts.  I am also against officially featuring specific services such as Twitter, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.  Instead they should allow us to develop bundles to extend the list of Sharing options as well as the functionality of the Phone and Messages apps.  For example: the Phone app could be made modular to support third-party voice and video services, while the Messages app could be made modular to support third-party messaging protocols.  This would make everything a lot cleaner as all comm apps would share the same Apple-designed interface.

• Reply 84 of 144
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member

It never made sense to me that YouTube was included but you had to actually download iBooks.

• Reply 85 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Total nonsense, and factually incorrect. FUD! Adobe didn't cancel Flash development on mobile, they dropped the Flash Player support in lieu of native AIR applications, which are Flash. Flash is the primary format of all major video streaming sites, and supporting 3 formats instead of 1 format has created a problem, not solved one. HTML(5) still is not, and will not be for years and years, able to supersede or even parity the features in Flash. What you're describing isn't Apple winning, it's Adobe making peace with the fact that a mobile browser plugin will never gain ubiquity because Apple refuses to support it. Flash is still very much relevant and every time I hear an Apple fanboy spout some nonsense about it being dead, it just reminds me how ill informed people truly are. Such is the American way.

Flash is a wrapper not a format.

• Reply 86 of 144
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Apple's hatred of Google seems to have spun wildly out of control now that Jobs has gone, which is bizarre given Job's rabid hatred of Google.

I wonder how many iOS users hate Google, and how many use their services daily and have no problem with the company... What's the ratio? Maybe 0.01% vs 99.99% 

There may come a point where if you use Google services, and let's face it, virtually everyone does, when iOS becomes such a hostile platform that you have to move. Next up, Apple switching Safari search to Yahoo, or perhaps AltaVista or  Lycos. Or maybe they'll come up with their own search engine, as they have done with maps, which is a vastly inferior product but at least sates Apple's Google hatred for a little longer.

• Reply 87 of 144
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

As others have said, I think the jury is still out on maps.  That said, I agree in principle.  The issue, as I see it, is that Apple should not make moves that allow Google to exert greater control over key aspects of feature design.  When Apple allows Google to control the application interface through which users experience key Google content, they essentially allow a competitor to determine how users experience key features 'of' an Apple product.  That's obviously a negative, on many levels.

There is a reason Apple created the Maps and YouTube apps in the first place; these were likely deemed to be too important to leave in the hands of a disinterested (or even hostile) third party.  

I'm not sure what the solution is, here... but I don't view this as a positive for iOS users.

• Reply 88 of 144
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Always looking for he negative in an event I see. Most people will see this as a good thing especially if Googgle takes an interest and updates the app in a timely manner. The YouTube app really belongs on app store where regular updates are not a problem.
    daharder wrote: »
    As long as the 'YouTube' app remains available for iOS this amount to little more than Apple trying to make some kind of anti-Googee statement while needlessly inconveniencing current iOS users who expect the app to be there when they upgrade/buy a new iOS device.
  • Reply 89 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Apple: "Hey, it looks like our 5-year contract with you to use YouTube is running out, and we should renegotiate"

Google: "That's right, we want another $5 per device for the privileges of us advertising to your users"

Apple: "So how much is that going to cost us since we have half the market of actual, people using their devices?"

Google: "Eleventy Gabillion Dollars"

Apple: "Right...."

Proof please.

Or maybe if you look at Apple's stance of late you see an obvious trend of them trying to eliminate anything related to Google from their products, even if that means the replacement being vastly inferior.

• Reply 90 of 144
    No big deal, mobile version much better anyway. Just need yourpron app and were sorted :-)
  • Reply 91 of 144
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I suspect it was google's decision to remove the app from iOS, not apple.  

Really?... Nice play on words for a nic name, but really? Tallest is that stuff allowed here?
  • Reply 92 of 144
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My god what is wrong with people these days? YouTube app belongs on app store as it really needs to be decoupled from iOS updates. There is absolutely nothing bad about this move.
    This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like.
    They are doing nothing of the sort.

I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.
    Are you nuts? Really answer that question because the above appears to be totally irrational. This has nothing to do with censorship at all. Frankly it boggles the mind that you could even run off at the mouth the way you did here.
  • Reply 93 of 144

There's nothing wrong for Apple to try to eliminate all these 'Google Apps' as default. Seriously, the most valuable thing to Google is information, and right now Apple is giving the information to Google away for free by default. That's just bad business. Search, Google is paying so I think it's fine to keep it as default. But Maps and Youtube, I doubt they're paying a lot to Apple for these to be on the homepage.

In the end, this is business. Apple's Map's app is like taking back the free money they've been giving to Google. As for Youtube, it's still free advertising for Google on an iPhone's homepage and should be removed.

No need to hate Google, but competition should be there.

• Reply 94 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Apple's never going to restrict its users from using GMail or Google Search. They may downplay those options, but that's not the same thing.

I wouldn't say so. Dumping Google Maps for something hugely inferior is an idiotic move, but Apple did it. They could dump GMail and all we'd hear from Apple fanboys is how wonderful iMail is or some such, and how anyone who doesn't move is a moron and deserves not to get any email.

Apple have left the realm of the sane and are into crazy territory, where hatreds and vendettas rule.

• Reply 95 of 144
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Proof please.

Or maybe if you look at Apple's stance of late you see an obvious trend of them trying to eliminate anything related to Google from their products, even if that means the replacement being vastly inferior.

Apple's own announcement to the verge indicated that their License with Google expired recently - which makes since since they probbaly licensnced it around this time anyhow.  Anyhow the claim that this is about replacing something with an inferior product, that's a joke considering the mobile version of YouTube was in fact miles better than the Apple built one (since it got updated and maintained unllike the built-in version) and supported more features.

• Reply 96 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We'll know they are serious when they no longer allow Google search on iOS and remove the GMail choice in the Mail accounts. Apple gets paid big $ for Google being the default search, not that Apple really needs the money. Those contracts are probably coming up soon too.

So, we can't use Gmail in the Mail app and we can't use Google for search at all anymore?!

• Reply 97 of 144
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

Apple and Google may have lots of problems in their relationship, but neither of them are stupid and both are continuing to act like grownups (mostly).  I'm sure the discussions about YouTube have been going on for some time and it was likely's Apple's choice to go with the "have Google make their own YouTube app" solution.  Google probably doesn't mind this at all since they get YouTube's logo on the app (finally) and they get to control revenue on the app in terms of ads.  No, you won't be able to buy content via the app via Apple's rules but you will be able to view them if already purchased through a browser.

And the situation with Apple TV seems to be different.  The contract for Apple TV is probably separate and under different terms.  While it is clear that Apple continues to write their own YouTube app there, there is a logo, which Google is in favor of.  And unlike on the iPhone, you get media logos for Vimeo and Hulu which means Apple is being practical and flexible here versus the iPhone/iPad.  If Apple opens up the Apple TV to apps, you may see some of the content providers go there but still get most-favored-nation status but they also may choose to leave things as is.  We'll find out by the time the "Jesus" television arrives.

At some point soon there will be a Google-written iOS app and it instantly zoom to the top of Apple's free app list and likely stay there.  Apple will make a change to their web page saying that getting all that great content for Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu and everyone else is a quick trip to the app store.  And we'll all go on to debate about something else.

• Reply 98 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Didn't the YouTube app also play any movie link by default not just those on YouTube?

No, Quicktime would play Safari videos, Youtube only played youtube videos.

• Reply 99 of 144
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member

Why does everyone keep saying that Apple's new maps app is inferior to Google's when 99% of you haven't had an opportunity to try the new Apple maps yet?

• Reply 100 of 144
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I wouldn't say so. Dumping Google Maps for something hugely inferior is an idiotic move, but Apple did it. They could dump GMail and all we'd hear from Apple fanboys is how wonderful iMail is or some such, and how anyone who doesn't move is a moron and deserves not to get any email.

Apple have left the realm of the sane and are into crazy territory, where hatreds and vendettas rule.

Apple Maps is hardly hugely inferior.  It's not completely up to snuff yet but its enough for most applications.  And Bing still is not the search engine of choice.

Apple is a publicly traded company that is widely watched.  It's not in their best interest for "crazy vendettas".  It is in their best to control their own destiny as much as possible.  There are many reasons why that was necessary with mapping.