Court docs reveal Samsung sold 21M phones, 1.4M tablets worth $8B in US since 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

http://allthingsd.com/20120809/apple-vs-samsung-trial-forces-companies-to-open-up-the-books/

The documents filed Thursday show Apple’s phone and tablet sales as well, though the sales are only classified into iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

From 2007 through the second quarter of 2012, Apple sold a total of 85 million iPhones in the U.S., worth a total of $50 billion in revenue, along with 46 million iPod touches producing roughly $10.3 billion in revenue. From its 2010 launch, Apple sold 34 million iPads, generating $19 billion in revenue.

Very interesting numbers:

2011:

Samsung:  12M units and $4B revenue

Apple: 32M units and $20B revenue

First half of 2012:

Samsung:  4.5M units and $1.5B revenue

Apple: 19M units and $12B revenue

Means Apples has been outselling Samsung in the US:

by 2.7x in units and by 5x in revenue in 2011.

by 4x in units and by 8x in revenue in 2012.

Ouch!

• Reply 22 of 116
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ha ha ha..... 1.4M tabets versus 34M sold. That is, a 4:96 ratio, matching up with the hard data we have from proxy indicators such as web traffic.

I hope the relentless fandroids will now shut up for good, and stop quoting the absolutely dumb shipment numbers trotted out by the absolutely dumb consulting firms for their gullible and the hopeful clients.

Honestly I'm actually surprised it's that much.
  • Reply 23 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A couple of days ago there was a report (IDC?) that claimed Android with nearly 70% of the EU smartphone market with Apple around 17%. Guess which Android licensee is #1? Even in China where Samsung isn't nearly the market presence as in other areas, they still lead Apple 3:1 in smartphone sales according to market research from back in March. The US is really the only large market where Apple has such a large percentage of smartphone sales. Of course most of the profit is probably coming from the US too.

As Soli said, projecting worldwide sales based on just US figures isn't even remotely reliable. The rest of the world isn't sharing the same metrics.

BTW, I think the reason only US sales are being shown is because those are the only ones that apply to this case with regard to possible damages. What Samsung does in the rest of the world isn't part of this suit and thus doesn't matter.

Give up man. Go tout your wares elsewhere. Chances are, if you guys and your silly data providers have such wildly incorrect numbers here in the US, it's equally -- if not more -- poorly estimated worldwide. Who cares if Samsung outsells Apple in those markets: these sorts of hard data tell us that Samsung is nowhere near the numbers you guys hyperventilate about, and they're selling them for a pittance per handset compared to Apple. SolipsismX's comments notwithstanding.

• Reply 24 of 116
    jason98 wrote: »

2011:

First half of 2012:

Ouch!

Apple's outselling everyone. What's your point?
  • Reply 25 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Wow. Unprecedented move by Apple. You can bet the Apple analysts will be using this to drive the stock price up, down and all around.

• Reply 26 of 116
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple's outselling everyone. What's your point?

Did not think by that much...

• Reply 27 of 116
    jason98 wrote: »
    Did not think by that much...

Ahh gotcha, pay attention and it wouldn't be news to you. Apple's in a league onto itself. For a better reference look to see how Samsung is doing compared to the likes of Motorola, LG, HTC, Nokia, etc..
  • Reply 28 of 116
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO.

What happened to all the estimates that Samsung was selling 35 M smart phones per year? Funny how they don't mind people talking about numbers like that, but as soon as it comes to possibly paying royalties, the real numbers come out.

Apple, meanwhile, sold around 150 M iPhones during that time period. Heck, they probably sold more iPads than Samsung sold smartphones.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/12743/worldwide-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

This is only a subset, and only US sales.  Read better.

• Reply 29 of 116
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't matter. It's still far, far lower than the number of iPhones that Apple sold in the US. So all the "Samsung sold more smartphones than Apple" stories were nonsense. You'd think that people would learn that making numbers up doesn't serve anyone.

You can draw no conclusions about total sales from the numbers in this article.  None.

DIsclosure: iPhone user, Apple fan and Apple shareholder.  Hater of fanboys on all sides.

• Reply 30 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Give up man. Go tout your wares elsewhere. Chances are, if you guys and your silly data providers have such wildly incorrect numbers here in the US, it's equally -- if not more -- poorly estimated worldwide. Who cares if Samsung outsells Apple in those markets: these sorts of hard data tell us that Samsung is nowhere near the numbers you guys hyperventilate about, and they're selling them for a pittance per handset compared to Apple. SolipsismX's comments notwithstanding.

His comments are fair and reasoned. I see no reason to discredit him for having a dissenting viewpoint (if you can call it that based solely on that post alone). In fact, it's that kind of opposing comments I'd like to see more of from posters who I know are intelligent but decide to only post anti-Apple talking points. On top of that, I have to think that if Gatorguy, of all people, is going to respond to me (or you or certain other posters on this forum) he's going to do the research because he knows we'll dissect his comments and spit back any flaws or fallacies.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Deleted -  Non constructive

• Reply 32 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His comments are fair and reasoned. I see no reason to discredit him for having a dissenting viewpoint (if you can call it that based solely on that post alone). In fact, it's that kind of opposing comments I'd like to see more of from posters who I know are intelligent but decide to only post anti-Apple talking points. On top of that, I have to think that if Gatorguy, of all people, is going to respond to me (or you or certain other posters on this forum) he's going to do the research because he knows we'll dissect his comments and spit back any flaws or fallacies.

You are certainly entitled to respond to anyone the way you choose to, and I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you have your reasons to do so.

Leave me to do, and give me the same. Thanks.

• Reply 33 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Deleted -  Non constructive

Thanks. I thought so too.

• Reply 34 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thanks. I thought so too.

No prob. I try to be respectful to almost every member here.

• Reply 35 of 116

so where does 9 millions galaxy s3 fall? 40% of the 21m?

• Reply 36 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple47 View Post

so where does 9 millions galaxy s3 fall? 40% of the 21m?

I don't think the 9million sold claim was just US sales anyway, but it doesn't matter as far as the suit is concerned. This report is only addressing those devices that Apple claims infringes on their IP in this case, which doesn't include some phones like the S3, nor the Galaxy Nexus for that matter. No idea what other US smartphones (if any) from Samsung aren't being claimed by Apple.

So the court doc that AI references/shows in this article is not the total smartphone sales for Samsung US. It's only the sales of the possibly infringing devices targeted by this case. The AI article mentions that in passing.

• Reply 36 of 116
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

2011:

First half of 2012:

Ouch!

These are all US numbers? Are u sure?

• Reply 38 of 116
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

1.4 m tablets... That's quite....... smooth!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

By my calculations that is about $350 revenue per device. That's pretty damn low.

Yep. It seems the carriers are paying almost nothing. This is why they love Android people.

• Reply 39 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Reading the title of the article should've told you that these are US numbers only. 

The title of the article didn't originally say that.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope the relentless fandroids will now shut up for good, and stop quoting the absolutely dumb shipment numbers trotted out by the absolutely dumb consulting firms for their gullible and the hopeful clients.

… We both know there's no hope of that. image There are people that still say Samsung didn't infringe.

• Reply 40 of 116
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    cameronj wrote: »
    You can draw no conclusions about total sales from the numbers in this article.  None.

Well, you can draw pretty reasonable conclusions as to global ASP and profit margin for both players, and a pretty good insight what a $15 per unit licensing cost would do. With a little external data, you can also reasonably estimate Samsung's performance on a region by region basis.

It also explains a lot relative to app sales.

But no, it isn't nearly as embarrassing for Samsung when you don't extrapolate Samsung results globally...