Apple's share of worldwide tablet market returns to all-time highs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The Nexus 7 tablet is selling very well.

Says who? The same analysts who vastly overestimated Samsung's pitiful tablet sales? And no, Apple does not need to come out with an iPad mini to survive. Your opinion on this matter is based on what exactly?

Wow did I hit a nerve or something?  The Nexus 7 is nowhere near the ipad in volume, but it did prove that there is a market there for a quality tablet that gives access to an ecosystem in the 200$ price range.

Lets talk number.  All the samsung tablets combine sold to date produce 2.5 net hits per 100 ipads. The Nexus 7 produce 0.3 hits per 100 ipads but it sold out. They resupply inventories last week so those numbers are going to be interesting to see in the next few weeks. Its possible the nexus 7 has lost momentum because of supply problems but estimates are in the "millions" sold in a very short time.

Apple may not need an ipad mini to "survive" but imo it would be a good addition to keep its lead in the tablet space. I think it would be a good idea to expand the ecosystem as much as they can because this is where the next war will be. The post above me talks about a possible MS tablet dump to gain market share so , again, if Apple has something in the 200$ price range it will prevent or slow down any kind dump attempts.  I am assuming Apple still plans on dominating that market, not just "survive" in it.

• Reply 42 of 77

I cannot believe one out of ten people actually buy Samsung crap? I guess this is because Amazon doesn't sell Kindle Fire outside of U.S.

• Reply 43 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Nice to see you're back online.

Thanks! I was without internet access for a few weeks.

• Reply 44 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Wow did I hit a nerve or something?  The Nexus 7 is nowhere near the ipad in volume, but it did prove that there is a market there for a quality tablet that gives access to an ecosystem in the 200$ price range.

Lets talk number.  All the samsung tablets combine sold to date produce 2.5 net hits per 100 ipads. The Nexus 7 produce 0.3 hits per 100 ipads but it sold out. They resupply inventories last week so those numbers are going to be interesting to see in the next few weeks. Its possible the nexus 7 has lost momentum because of supply problems but estimates are in the "millions" sold in a very short time.

Apple may not need an ipad mini to "survive" but imo it would be a good addition to keep its lead in the tablet space. I think it would be a good idea to expand the ecosystem as much as they can because this is where the next war will be.

How many units has Google/Asus sold?  You can't say, you can only provide estimates.  But estimates based on what?

• Reply 45 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, back in the civilized world I see. Your absence was noted by the way.

Not quite yet. I'll be back in the states in a few days time.

How was my absence noted? Were the fandroids given free reign or something? image

• Reply 46 of 77

iPad mini makes sense and will be produced because:

1. There is a need.  It's not rocket science to realize that the iPad is too heavy/large to hold for prolonged periods of time (usually from a standup position) nor is it as mobile as a smaller device.  And the iPhone is too small to read/manipulate for any considerable amount of time or for deeper productivity.

2. There is opportunity to make money.  While there will be some cannibalization, it's better than competitors grabbing share/profits.  Some of the cannibalization will be offset by consumers who will merely add to their Apple ecosystem, not substitute their purchases.  And obviously, there will be many consumers who will buy the iPad mini rather than getting a competing mini-tablet.

3. Market dominance and critical mass is important to Apple.  Don't mistake this for Apple's philosophy of not being overly concerned with market share (i.e. PCs).  The iOS ecosystem is a critical piece of Apple's near and long term strategy...the more, the better.  It's like crack cocaine, but better for society.

4. Cost to market is negligible (and so is risk of product confusion).  I.e. the positives far outweigh the negatives.  I would not be surprised if Apple has already created working hardware and software for iPad mini.  Nobody really knows if it'll be rolled-out this quarter, next quarter, or next year...if not this quarter, Apple is ready at ANY time to produce.  This is the advantage of a cash-rich company...to go "nuclear" when the time is right (sorry for the war-like analogy).

Is the timing right now?  I say, yes.  But I'd rather Apple not guess at this, especially with all the other product roll-outs this quarter.

• Reply 47 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

1. There is a need.

There's also a need for chocolate covered rabbit meat. It's not a large enough need to mass produce, however.

It's not rocket science to realize that the iPad is too heavy/large to hold for prolonged periods of time…

You're kidding, right? I don't want to pull the "get stronger" card, but it's a frigging pound and a half at most.

2. There is opportunity to make money.

There's an opportunity to make money on a 17" laptop. Not enough for Apple to keep making one, though, even though they made money on every single one they sold.

3. Market dominance and critical mass is important to Apple.

Here come the cries of monopoly.

4. Cost to market is negligible…

I somehow doubt that.

• Reply 48 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    apple is not losing in any rational way in any market they are in.
    i would really love to have an ipad.. i just can't justify it.

It's worth getting one just to play Fishdom HD! / smile
  • Reply 49 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Bla bla bla...

There also remains Windows 8 Surface. A lot of people don't get the actual implications of that tablet. (and a lot of people won't get Windows 8 Surface) The fact that it has two models - one consumer, one enterprise (tablet/notebook) is what will essentially cut Apple off from the enterprise and meet consumers head on. (MS and you seem to forget that people want to use their "consumer" devices at work -- one to rule them all) (Also, I'm unconvinced that MS will actually build both models they announced)

Microsoft coming in "late" to the game isn't a bad thing. (I'm sure MS is enjoying being outside of a red-hot market year after year where BILLIONS of dollars are being spent) It allowed them to observe the market, let it react... get tired of iOS and come in with what very well could be, a better product. (The market reacted and consumers, business, education, government, and people around the world have embraced the iDevices and iOS. The battery-burning Intel version of Surface (the one with the gap around the edges to let the hot air out) is also an ergonomic disaster, even with an upgrade from the rubber keyboard. Risk management won't let this propped up, non-adjustable joke into the building.)

So on the tablet side, Apple will have to fend off the 7" side with Amazon and Google... and the 10" side with Microsoft.

Bla bla bla...

Comments buried within quoted post above.

• Reply 50 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How many units has Google/Asus sold?  You can't say, you can only provide estimates.  But estimates based on what?

Bio-gas???

• Reply 51 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I understand the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. You're a stronger man than I.

• Reply 52 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, back in the civilized world I see. Your absence was noted by the way.

He was missed by some. ;-)

• Reply 53 of 77

Quote:

Whoa... where were you, climbing the Everest?

Wait, even that has internet access now: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-205_162-7003581.html

• Reply 54 of 77
    lkrupp wrote: »
    You said the magic word, rational. Technology punditry is anything but rational when they scream Android is crushing iOS. In their minds Apple is just minutes away from filing bankruptcy.

Eric Schmidt told Steve Jobs he thought Apple was crazy for getting into the tablet market because tablets were never very popular. I also heard plenty of Fandroids say in 2010 the giant iPod Touch would be a sales disaster.

And now Android is winning???

The way I see it Apple changes history by making history. Google Fans change history by changing their recall of the past.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In what situation these days does one not have net access for a few weeks??!

Quote:

Not quite yet. I'll be back in the states in a few days time.

How was my absence noted? Were the fandroids given free reign or something? image

Your posts have convinced me that you're a hate-filled asshole, but yes, it was noted. I kind of missed your biting posts during the recent troll/new registrant infestation image

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

iPad mini makes sense and will be produced because:

1. There is a need.  It's not rocket science to realize that the iPad is too heavy/large to hold for prolonged periods of time (usually from a standup position) nor is it as mobile as a smaller device.  And the iPhone is too small to read/manipulate for any considerable amount of time or for deeper productivity.

2. There is opportunity to make money.  While there will be some cannibalization, it's better than competitors grabbing share/profits.  Some of the cannibalization will be offset by consumers who will merely add to their Apple ecosystem, not substitute their purchases.  And obviously, there will be many consumers who will buy the iPad mini rather than getting a competing mini-tablet.

3. Market dominance and critical mass is important to Apple.  Don't mistake this for Apple's philosophy of not being overly concerned with market share (i.e. PCs).  The iOS ecosystem is a critical piece of Apple's near and long term strategy...the more, the better.  It's like crack cocaine, but better for society.

4. Cost to market is negligible (and so is risk of product confusion).  I.e. the positives far outweigh the negatives.  I would not be surprised if Apple has already created working hardware and software for iPad mini.  Nobody really knows if it'll be rolled-out this quarter, next quarter, or next year...if not this quarter, Apple is ready at ANY time to produce.  This is the advantage of a cash-rich company...to go "nuclear" when the time is right (sorry for the war-like analogy).

Is the timing right now?  I say, yes.  But I'd rather Apple not guess at this, especially with all the other product roll-outs this quarter.

Great post. Extremely rational, well thought out, and reasoned, looking at the situation objectively from all angles. Ignore Tallest Ski's sarcastic, mocking reply. He's an incredibly rigid ideologue, the type that isn't affected by rationality, and will keep parroting the same line 6 ways to Sunday. Tallest, what will you do if they decide to call it the iPhone 5 AND release an iPad mini at the same event? Will you write-off Apple forever? Self combust? Meltdown? Ban yourself? (yeah right) Or forever troll every thread from there on out  about how Apple is officially in a doomsday spiral, regardless of how successful both products turn out to be, and regardless of how epically wrong you are? I'm honestly curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Eric Schmidt told Steve Jobs he thought Apple was crazy for getting into the tablet market because tablets were never very popular. I also heard plenty of Fandroids say in 2010 the giant iPod Touch would be a sales disaster.

And now Android is winning???

The way I see it Apple changes history by making history. Google Fans change history by changing their recall of the past.

Just shows you the power of having a vision, the confidence to believe in that vision, and the guts to execute it regardless of all the naysayers around you telling you you're destined to fail. 

• Reply 56 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Great post. Extremely rational, well thought out, and reasoned, looking at the situation objectively from all angles. Ignore Tallest Ski's sarcastic, mocking reply. He's an incredibly rigid ideologue, the type that isn't affected by rationality, and will keep parroting the same line 6 ways to Sunday. Tallest, what will you do if they decide to call it the iPhone 5 AND release an iPad mini at the same event? Will you write-off Apple forever? Self combust? Meltdown? Ban yourself? (yeah right) Or forever troll every thread from there on out  about how Apple is officially in a doomsday spiral, regardless of how successful both products turn out to be, and regardless of how epically wrong you are? I'm honestly curious.

And I would have thought about responding to Tallest if his remarks had, at least, some content.  Not sure why his ridiculously staunch position either...what a turn off.

• Reply 57 of 77
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Tallest, what will you do if they decide to call it the iPhone 5 AND release an iPad mini at the same event? Will you write-off Apple forever? Self combust? Meltdown? Ban yourself? (yeah right) Or forever troll every thread from there on out  about how Apple is officially in a doomsday spiral, regardless of how successful both products turn out to be, and regardless of how epically wrong you are? I'm honestly curious.

My vote is his robotic head starts spinning around as smoke pours out and he keeps repeating "ILLOGICAL!!" :)

• Reply 58 of 77

Great post. Extremely rational, well thought out, and reasoned, looking at the situation objectively from all angles.

Except the only ones that matter.

Tallest, what will you do if they decide to call it the iPhone 5 AND release an iPad mini at the same event? Will you write-off Apple forever? Self combust? Meltdown? Ban yourself? (yeah right) Or forever troll every thread from there on out about how Apple is officially in a doomsday spiral, regardless of how successful both products turn out to be, and regardless of how epically wrong you are? I'm honestly curious.

Probably the latter, minus the "trolling". Even the worst product in the world based on the most idiotic decision in the world can make money. That doesn't make it a good product and the right decision. Look at Microsoft. Look at what the Web is still rebuilding after.

Just shows you the power of having a vision, the confidence to believe in that vision, and the guts to execute it regardless of all the naysayers around you telling you you're destined to fail.

And yet when I do the same, you say it's the worst possible thing in the world. 

Funny how that works. Almost makes me think you've no objectivity at all.

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

My vote is his robotic head starts spinning around as smoke pours out and he keeps repeating "ILLOGICAL!!" :)

That's for when Apple hires Ballmer as a creative consultant.

• Reply 59 of 77
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's for when Apple hires Ballmer as a creative consultant.

Now see, I could see them hiring him to lead company wide calisthenics.  Altho he might request to only work w/the Developers, developers developers, etc. :)

• Reply 60 of 77

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Now see, I could see them hiring him to lead company wide calisthenics.  Altho he might request to only work w/the Developers, developers developers, etc. :)

"Get on your feet… get up… and make it happen…"

Only saw it once, but that edit still rings in my mind…