Apple's share of worldwide tablet market returns to all-time highs

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Nearly three out of every four tablet computers purchased around the world last quarter were iPads, helping Apple further distance itself from competitors in a market it simultaneously invaded and helped redefine three years ago.

A mix of 17 million iPad 2s and third-generation iPads made up 69.6% of all tablet shipments during the three-month period ending July, more than seven times that of its closest rival Samsung, which managed to ship 2.254 million Galaxy Tabs.

Apple's 44% jump in iPad shipments was nearly enough to boost the Cupertino-based company back to an all-time high of 70% global tablet market share it achieved during the first quarter of 2011, according to research firm iSuppli.

"With the expected entrance of the 7-inch version of the iPad in September, Apple is sending a clear message that it plans to dominate this market over the long term," said Rhoda Alexander, who heads up the firm's tablet research.

"Apple?s major media tablet rivals, Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp., hope to challenge Apple in the second half of the year, but will be facing formidable headwinds with no sign that the market leader is backing off of its aggressive strategy in the market," he added.

iPad 3

For its part, online retailer Amazon is reported to have shipped just over 1 million Kindle tablets during the second quarter, placing it a distant third in the high-stakes battle for mind- and market-share in the modern mobile computing market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77

Shi....

...ah, pointless.

• Reply 2 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

The numbers don't mean anything because only Apple releases actual numbers of shipments with the assumption that > 99.9% are actually sold to end users. So in my eyes, Apple always have the highest market share of tablets. And if the Samsung Trial is any indication, the Android shipments are overstated.

• Reply 3 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    AAPL up around $10 the last couple of days. Sounds like investors are reevaluating the "disappointing" results last quarter. Tech pundits are focused on the smartphone market where Apple is "losing." They will continue to ignore the tablet market until, if ever, a viable competitor emerges to challenge the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Great! We see numbers from Apple quarterlies mixed with wild guess estimates. If we use the IDC to Samsung court document convertor we see that Samsung's 4.4 million is around 83 tablets with 37 of them being returned.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Given the ipad mini buzz of a few weeks ago and expectations of a Sept release, there is surprising silence on the rumor mills with few parts etc., especially on contrast with iPhone release.

So either Apple is a lot better at keeping secrets in iPad mini, no one is checking it out or rather paying big bucks for iPad mini stuff, release date is wrong, or in my personal interest and desire and concern no mini.

I hope it's not the last, while I love my iPad, my wife wants a mini due to weight and size constraints she can accommodate. Regarding competition, without carrier promotions and steering customers to Andriod this is not a credible issue for the foreseeable future. With the possible exception of MS everyone sells their products at barely at cost and usually at a loss.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    lkrupp wrote: »
    AAPL up around $10 the last couple of days. Sounds like investors are reevaluating the "disappointing" results last quarter. Tech pundits are focused on the smartphone market where Apple is "losing." They will continue to ignore the tablet market until, if ever, a viable competitor emerges to challenge the iPad.

apple is not losing in any rational way in any market they are in.

i would really love to have an ipad.. i just can't justify it.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member

I know that there are a lot of cheap, knock-off tablets out there, but selling nearly 4 million of them (other) just doesn't seem realistic. I'm betting that the true number is less than half of that.

• Reply 8 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple is not losing in any rational way in any market they are in.
    i would really love to have an ipad.. i just can't justify it.

You said the magic word, rational. Technology punditry is anything but rational when they scream Android is crushing iOS. In their minds Apple is just minutes away from filing bankruptcy.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

It would nice to know how many tablets sold were the 7 to 8 inch models and how many were the 9 to 10 inch models.  Just to find out which market has which percentage of market share for the standard and the mini sized tablets.  I see that as two distinct markets.  One being more of a reader tablet than a full sized tablet.

• Reply 10 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Shi....

...ah, pointless.

...ped!

Once again, a story that is NOT about actual tablet sales starts out with words like “purchased” or "sold."

In a year I want to see Apple vs. the rest in terms of landfill market share!

• Reply 11 of 77
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They will continue to ignore the tablet market until, if ever, a viable competitor emerges to challenge the iPad.

The Nexus 7 tablet is selling very well. Apple must counter it with a smaller tablet offering or its market share is going to start dropping again. I think Apple needs to get into the ecosystem war and have at least one cheap option in the tablet space.

I will be carefull with my options trading prior to the event.  I plan on keeping my jan 2014 LEAPS but I will dump the other options just before the event because the risk is too high. If Apple doesnt deliver the "expected" iphone 5 and ipad mini the stock will plunge and I am not so sure we will see the mini since there are no hardware leaks yet.

If you anyone have links to ipad mini hardware component leaks please tell me.

Do you guys think we have any chance of seing the imac refresh before sept 12?

• Reply 12 of 77

Samesung tablet maket share 9.9% ???

I guess nobody here believes that they actually sold that many tablets. You can even see a lot more kindle devices in the wild.

• Reply 13 of 77
    herbapou wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 tablet is selling very well.

Do we know for sure? All I can find are estimates and predictions.

You can't just rely on a product "selling out" in stores as an indicator without knowing how many they had in stock.

"Nexus 7 Sold Out" is a great headline... but I'd like to know the numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 77

Personally I think the iPad mini is the iPhone/iPod. I see no reason for a mid-sized device.

What resolution would it be if all the devices are moving towards retina specs? 1024 x768 at a quarter of the physical screen area of an iPad3? 

Yes AAPL stock will probably dip with profit taking after the new product announcements, but I'll be keeping mine long-term.

The longer Apple' dominance continues, the less the competition is... erm... competition.

I bet plenty of people upgrade from Samsung to Apple but next to none move the other direction.

• Reply 15 of 77
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The Nexus 7 tablet is selling very well. Apple must counter it with a smaller tablet offering or its market share is going to start dropping again. I think Apple needs to get into the ecosystem war and have at least one cheap option in the tablet space.

Except those numbers don't reflect the Nexus 7. These Samsung estimates have now been proven completely false. Unless Samsung sold 2.2 million tablets outside the USA, which is beyond preposterous that they sell everything outside the USA and virtually none inside. It's pretty clear that Samsung has close to 0% of the market, at best. I suspect the others are not so different. There is no "tablet market". There's only an "iPad market". The others are just outliers, with the Kindle Fire being the most common of them. Whether the Nexus 7 gains any real market traction - despite whether it's a good device or not - is still unknown.

• Reply 16 of 77
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 17 of 77
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    herbapou wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 tablet is selling very well....

Yea, selling well (in their own mind...)
    if you assume that it will only sell one... Selling TEN is <strong>Amazing</strong>
    ROFL.
  • Reply 18 of 77

It would appear that with the imminent release of a 7" pad, Apple is poised to do with tablets what it did with MP3 players.  While some might argue that the relatively "closed" architecture of iOS means this is a bad thing, that may be a mis-reading of the market.  While Android and Microsoft devotees may argue that tablets need to be more flexible, extendable, computer-like and so on, there is scant evidence that more than a tiny, tiny minority of tablet users really feel this way.  The iPad, as a device, does what it is intended to, and it does it well.  Like a toaster, it saw the need, it addresses the need, and it doesn't over-reach.

Microsoft Surface, with it's emphasis on a keyboard, strays badly from this model of simplicity and devotion to intent (i.e. a touch interface without need for input tools) and seems unlikely to break from the model of a lightweight laptop computer in users' minds.  This was probably a strategic mistake by Microsoft, but time will tell.

At the end of the day, it may simply be that Apple cracked the table code and there is no need for additional vendors (save to keep pricing competitive.)  Perhaps it is time for Microsoft and Google to create something new themselves, so that they can find similar niches to dominate.  But right now, trying to battle Apple on the tablet front seems pretty hopeless.

• Reply 19 of 77

iPad mini seems to be a natural outgrowth for an iOS device.  Just like the iPod was offered in a variety of sizes and styles, it would make perfect sense to do the same thing with iOS devices - iPod touch, iPhone, iPad mini, iPad.

I know this isn't what the conversation is about, but Apple has such a tight consumer base, compared to any Android offering, that there is a very good chance that Apple can simply take the majority share of market in the iPad market, which can only help improve numbers in the iPhone category (as both consumers and businesses who use iPads want integration with their smartphones).

• Reply 20 of 77

Maybe people are beginning to realised that anything other than an iPad are just toys.

I watched with amusement yesterday, returning from work on the train, a woman trying to use a Samsung Tab. The sheer look of frustration and confusion said it all. After 10 mins of frantic finger activity (looking more and more angry), she slammed it in her bag and got her iPhone out!!

The chances are that Apple will follow the iPhone strategy when the next iPad comes out, and will have iPad (4th Gen), iPad (3rd Gen) and iPad 2 all on sale at different price points. At this point, Apple market share will simply head north again.

In terms of iPhone sales, I'm always amused to hear that Android has taken the lead in market share as I very rarely see Android handsets (in the UK). I probably still see more Blackberry's than Android, so maybe it is a US or european thing!

Strangely, we currently have to use blackberry's at work (trial of iPhones almost complete :-) ), and almost everyone in my team, as well as the account team have iPhones for personal phones. Out of the 4 people that don't have iPhones, 2 have old Nokia phones, 1 a Nokia Windows phone and 1 Android (Samsung).

With Mountain Lion and iOS 6 working better with iCloud, the Halo effect will become even more intense, and if the rumoured TV comes off, then it will only add to it.

It will be interesting to see the figures over the next two quarters.