Burglar who swiped Steve Jobs' wallet, computers quickly traced after powering them on

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88

The amount of proofreading errors in this article is ridiculous

• Reply 22 of 88
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    as of this writing, about a third of the comments are just about the poorly written article. you gotta wonder how many people actually pay attention to what the article is saying when they can't get past the spelling and grammar errors in an ostensibly professionally written piece.

someone else provided this link in another ai article; it bears repeating:

from kyle wiens, founder of ifixit.com, in the "harvard business review": http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/i_wont_hire_people_who_use_poo.html

and a response in "the economist": http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2012/07/language-and-computers
  • Reply 23 of 88

Originally Posted by grblade View Post

The amount of proofreading errors in this article is ridiculous

I just read over the article and fixed some. Do you see more?

I'm certainly willing to be AI's pre-posting proofreader if any of the higher-ups are reading this (I would just send them a PM, but I never hear back…). I've plenty of my own writings for you to peruse as proof of my capabilities.

• Reply 24 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Well, he's not homeless anymore!

Next seven years....3 meals a day, roof over your head and all the sex you could possibly want! Great! :)

• Reply 25 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Kariem McFarlin knows all about Steve Jobs.  He checked his browser history!

/

/

/

• Reply 26 of 88
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Steve kept $1 in his wallet on purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryand View Post

When he gets out he won't have his car either. If he left it on the street its sure to be towed and impounded. The impound fees will be pretty steep by the time he gets out.

$1 in a wallet is a lot for someone who's been dead for several months. I would have assumed that his family would have emptied his wallet of any cash or credit cards. I always like to carry cash in case credit/debit systems are out of order or malfunctioning when I need them. Its good to know that I have a fallback.

• Reply 27 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

So, Apple will assist the Police in recovering stolen Apple products from the Job's family but will not do so for others. If you look at different Mac forums, there are multiple threads about lost or stolen iphones, iPads and MBP's that owners have used the find my device feature but Police will not help them. I'm sorry to hear about the break in but how about a little justice for all.

This isn't an Apple issue — it's an issue with the local police departments. Luckily, the Jobs family lives in prosperous, low-crime Palo Alto where police resources aren't stretched past breaking point.

• Reply 28 of 88
    For a minute I thought maybe it was just me that my
    Brain was beginning to hurt while trying to make sense
    Of some of the things in this article. Lol.
    Anyway, it's a trip he was caught from turning
    On an iPad. Lol.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Steve Jobs still marketing from the grave ... Go Steve!
  • Reply 30 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals. There are more families in homeless shelters than ever before. There are piss poor broke people that were millionaires just a few years ago. Cut the guy a little slack.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals.

No, not really. Not at all, in fact.

Cut the guy a little slack.

No. Though I'm glad to see your worldview on theft is at least consistent whether it's a single guy that knows better breaking the law or a multinational corporation that knows better breaking the law.

• Reply 32 of 88
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals. There are more families in homeless shelters than ever before. There are piss poor broke people that were millionaires just a few years ago. Cut the guy a little slack.

You're really twisting things around here.  Almost all petty theft is to get money for drug addiction.  The idea that he was just "hungry" is stupid.  There are food banks everywhere and they are generally over-stocked in my town.  No matter how poor you are, if you don't have a drug addiction, there shouldn't be any problem getting food in any city in North America or Europe.  Getting a home or a job is much harder, but eating is rarely a problem for the homeless. 

The idea that the homeless people of today were all "millionaires just a few years ago," is laughable nonsense.  

Pretty much all the "homeless" are drug addicts or people with mental health issues, not failed millionaires. 

• Reply 33 of 88
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I just read over the article and fixed some. Do you see more?

I'm certainly willing to be AI's pre-posting proofreader if any of the higher-ups are reading this (I would just send them a PM, but I never hear back…). I've plenty of my own writings for you to peruse as proof of my capabilities.

I had a post where I pointed out a few, assume you got those?
  • Reply 34 of 88

It's the internet, where "free" rules. Editors don't make much money, but they're not free. This is what happens when employers don't want to pay salaries, taxes, etc. They pay less, so employees (aka: consumers) spend less and so employers want to pay even less and everything goes downhill, including articles. 

• Reply 35 of 88
    So what's the story on the stolen "Apple TV"?
  • Reply 36 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I had a post where I pointed out a few, assume you got those?

Yessir. Any more? I switched around a few words to make some sentences read better, too.

Originally Posted by ackpfft View Post

So what's the story on the stolen "Apple TV"?

It's obviously a usable tiny box, not some stupid giant panel.

• Reply 37 of 88
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Name one millionaire (someone who had $1 million or more in assets, not including the home they lived in), who is now piss poor.  

But I agree with your other comments.   If I hadn't been born white to a middle class family, I doubt very much that I would achieved the career success that I've had.   If my family was just a bit poorer, I probably would not have been able to attend college.    If I had been a minority, among the companies I've worked at, if just one hiring manager or executive had been slightly racist, it could have changed my entire career for the worse.    Even if I had the career, I probably would have been paid far less.      Etc.

It's very easy to look at someone who hasn't made it and blame them for not working hard enough in school, not planning ahead, etc., but in our very expensive society, it really doesn't take all that much to wind up in the streets.    As we move more and more to a service economy, a greater number of workers are surviving on minimum wage or close to it (and that's if they're lucky enough to be working).     In most places in the U.S., it's virtually impossible to survive on minimum wage unless you're living in someone else's household.   Frankly, when I see what my basic expenses are (and I live in a 2-bedroom apartment in a middle-class neighborhood -- nothing fancy), it constantly makes me wonder how even decently paid people survive.   

However, I'm not sure I buy the guy's story.   He broke into Steve Jobs' house by a matter of coincidence?    His is the only house in Palo Alto that's under construction?      Is Palo Alto a place where one can live in their car and not get noticed, especially in a residential neighborhood?     He sure seemed to know where to resell the expensive jewelry...it's not like he sold an expensive piece for $100 on the street to get something to eat for a few days.

• Reply 38 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You're really twisting things around here.  Almost all petty theft is to get money for drug addiction.  The idea that he was just "hungry" is stupid.  There are food banks everywhere and they are generally over-stocked in my town.  No matter how poor you are, if you don't have a drug addiction, there shouldn't be any problem getting food in any city in North America or Europe.  Getting a home or a job is much harder, but eating is rarely a problem for the homeless. 

The idea that the homeless people of today were all "millionaires just a few years ago," is laughable nonsense.  
    Pretty much all the "homeless" are drug addicts or people with mental health issues, not failed millionaires. 

You're twisting my words around. I have no idea what situation he was in I was just stating the fact and I never said that former millionaires are now homeless. Look at what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, everything was under water even your precious food banks. People of all races, creeds, color, and financial well being had to steal whatever they could find in order to eat. Oh I'm sorry I forgot that white people were "finding" food and the blacks were "rioting".
  • Reply 39 of 88
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I usually do not complain about the little errors in these articles, but this one takes the cake for mistakes:

I won't get into who vs whom, and other niggling details, I know that that level of detail is not really critical, but these errors were particularly noteworthy...

Well, you were certainly named (or named yourself) appropriately!

• Reply 40 of 88
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yessir. Any more? I switched around a few words to make some sentences read better, too.

Quote:

He also made off a $28,950 pair of Tiffany platinum, diamond and aquamarine lace-drop earrings

The police report says they were $2950, not $28,950.