Burglar who swiped Steve Jobs' wallet, computers quickly traced after powering them on

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Name one millionaire (someone who had $1 million or more in assets, not including the home they lived in), who is now piss poor.  

But I agree with your other comments.   If I hadn't been born white to a middle class family, I doubt very much that I would achieved the career success that I've had.   If my family was just a bit poorer, I probably would not have been able to attend college.    If I had been a minority, among the companies I've worked at, if just one hiring manager or executive had been slightly racist, it could have changed my entire career for the worse.    Even if I had the career, I probably would have been paid far less.      Etc.

It's very easy to look at someone who hasn't made it and blame them for not working hard enough in school, not planning ahead, etc., but in our very expensive society, it really doesn't take all that much to wind up in the streets.    As we move more and more to a service economy, a greater number of workers are surviving on minimum wage or close to it (and that's if they're lucky enough to be working).     In most places in the U.S., it's virtually impossible to survive on minimum wage unless you're living in someone else's household.   Frankly, when I see what my basic expenses are (and I live in a 2-bedroom apartment in a middle-class neighborhood -- nothing fancy), it constantly makes me wonder how even decently paid people survive.   

However, I'm not sure I buy the guy's story.   He broke into Steve Jobs' house by a matter of coincidence?    His is the only house in Palo Alto that's under construction?      Is Palo Alto a place where one can live in their car and not get noticed, especially in a residential neighborhood?     He sure seemed to know where to resell the expensive jewelry...it's not like he sold an expensive piece for $100 on the street to get something to eat for a few days.

One person? Just one person? Ok ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present to you Mr. Ryan Leaf, who signed a almost $32 million dollar contract with the Chargers and is doing what now? 5 years in prison for burglary.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    candocando Posts: 1member

Hummm, where do you live?

• Reply 43 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

No one has brought up the object lesson for all of us from this burglary. We need to install software to find the location of our devices in case we are theft victims.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4586129_track-laptops-_mac-ip-address.html

is one place to find out how. There are several methods, depending on whether your device is registered to a corporate LAN or if you own them separately.

The iCloud "Find My Phone" free app is a powerful approach that works with any Apple device that has Internet connectivity. Anyone who values their devices and the security of their data should take the modest amount of time to install this app and enable it on each device.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

• Reply 44 of 88

Now if only the police could be so diligent when the house of ordinary people gets burglarized.

• Reply 45 of 88
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

One person? Just one person? Ok ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present to you Mr. Ryan Leaf, who signed a almost $32 million dollar contract with the Chargers and is doing what now? 5 years in prison for burglary.

While Ryan Leaf technically meets this criteria, I suspect it is not the best example to bolster your argument. Arguably Ryan Leaf has always been a poor man who, at one time, had millions of dollars...if you get my meaning.

• Reply 46 of 88
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member

"Police were advised of the break-in the following day after the house manager noticed the spare key missing and the house ransacked. Working with Apple, the police quickly tracked McFarlin's location by his IP address once he powered on one of the iPads stolen from Jobs' home. The device immediately connected to Apple's servers for routine updates and identified itself as a device registered to the company co-founder or one of his family members."

OK, so why can't this be done on EVERY stolen device?  That'd be a great selling point.  I know there's Find My iPhone but people have to turn it on and I've seen first hand that lots of people don't know how to do that.

• Reply 47 of 88
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member

The article may be writen in Mountain Lion Dictation. image

• Reply 48 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cando View Post

Hummm, where do you live?

In a van, down by the river.

• Reply 49 of 88
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

pooch wrote: »
    new math? metric?

What is really sad is that it has been at least three hours and the boo boo is still there. It is one thing to see error in the forums but here you do expect just a bit of professionalism. Part of being a professional is correcting mistakes that have been pointed out by others.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I usually do not complain about the little errors in these articles, but this one takes the cake for mistakes:

"More details surround the recent burglary at the home of Steve Jobs have surfaced in a police report" should have used surrounding.

"stealing two iMacs, there iPads, three iPods" I assume would be "three iPads", although I suppose it could be "their iPads" as well...

"off a $2,8950 pair of Tiffany platinum, diamond and aquamarine lace-drop earrings, as well as a $28,5000 Tiffany platinum" should be "off WITH a $28,950" AND $28,500

"32-page please report here" I assume would be police.

I won't get into who vs whom, and other niggling details, I know that that level of detail is not really critical, but these errors were particularly noteworthy...

I noticed the same. 

It's okay to use a new dictation, but you Donwell better proofread it when you're done. :P

[posted using mountain lion dictation.]

• Reply 51 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is really sad is that it has been at least three hours and the boo boo is still there. It is one thing to see error in the forums but here you do expect just a bit of professionalism. Part of being a professional is correcting mistakes that have been pointed out by others.

I edited it over two hours ago. Is it still there for you? I can't edit the article page itself; that's admin and above, I believe.

• Reply 52 of 88
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't use cash at all anymore except if I'm at a dodgy store like 7-11 or something but I always carry $40-$100 in case I get held up.  
    It's usually better to carry a bit of cash for the robbers than to get killed because they are mad you don't have anything.  
    Funny I always use cash. I really try to limit the credit card companies ability to make a living off me.

As to the robbers it really makes little difference, most of those guys are so defective mentally that your life makes little difference to them. If you really want to be more secure there are a few of things you can do that can clean up society. First; support pervasive use of the death penalty, even if that requires a constitutional amendment. Second; work to change societies biases on executing the mentally ill and drug using population. As long as people get a free pass with such excuses we will have dangerous people on the street. For the mentally ill that have yet to commit a crime we need to go back to locking such people up in mental hospitals like we did in the past. Third; learn to defend yourself! This is huge because it has been shown again and again that that is your only hope if a hold up goes south. Of course this implies you have to have a willingness to inflict bodily harm on someone. Victims often end up dead via the most insignificant of devices, the last thing you want is to have your friends realize you died from a pennies worth of string wrapped around your neck.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

So, Apple will assist the Police in recovering stolen Apple products from the Job's family but will not do so for others. If you look at different Mac forums, there are multiple threads about lost or stolen iphones, iPads and MBP's that owners have used the find my device feature but Police will not help them. I'm sorry to hear about the break in but how about a little justice for all.

It took a little bit of persuasion but I managed to get a police patrol dispatched to the location of my stolen MacBook as reported by FindMyMac. If you give the police access to your account and they see stolen property moving in real time, they become more interested in actually catching a thief.

• Reply 54 of 88
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

No one has brought up the object lesson for all of us from this burglary. We need to install software to find the location of our devices in case we are theft victims.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4586129_track-laptops-_mac-ip-address.html

is one place to find out how. There are several methods, depending on whether your device is registered to a corporate LAN or if you own them separately.

The iCloud "Find My Phone" free app is a powerful approach that works with any Apple device that has Internet connectivity. Anyone who values their devices and the security of their data should take the modest amount of time to install this app and enable it on each device.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

My advice is to always store an Apple device next to your valuables.

• Reply 55 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    While Ryan Leaf technically meets this criteria, I suspect it is not the best example to bolster your argument. Arguably Ryan Leaf has always been a poor man who, at one time, had millions of dollars...if you get my meaning.

That would constitute just about every professional athlete.
    How about these guys? http://addicted2success.com/success-advice/the-top-10-millionaires-billionaires-who-lost-it-all/
  • Reply 56 of 88
    This is insane!
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals.
    First off there are resources even for those that have lost everything. Beyond that even those that have nothing can have morals and self respect.
    There are more families in homeless shelters than ever before.
    Maybe maybe not, you really can't trust the statistics that are often manipulated so that organizations can benefit from the creation of false concern.
    There are piss poor broke people that were millionaires just a few years ago.
    yep! Is that a bad thing? One of the things the media harps on all the time is about the rich getting richer, they never ever mention the people that loose everything, the businesses that go under or the retirement funds that have been depleted.
    Cut the guy a little slack.

No way in hell, guys like this should be stood up against a wall and bombarded with a fire hose up until dead!!! They really need to suffer through their execution. There simply is no excuse for ever breaking into somebodies home. There is really no rational for ever making such activity acceptable.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonW View Post

Why did this article have so many errors? are there now editors on this website? 

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious :-\

• Reply 58 of 88
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Name one millionaire (someone who had $1 million or more in assets, not including the home they lived in), who is now piss poor.  
    If one has been keeping up with what is happening in the world you would know that many have lost much recently. Often these are retired people that have made bad investment decisions.

The other group that has suffered significantly with this administration is the small business owner. It is very easy to end up dirt poor after a company you own fails. Often though business men have the ability to bounce back but that doesn't mean they aren't dirt poor for awhile.
    But I agree with your other comments.   If I hadn't been born white to a middle class family, I doubt very much that I would achieved the career success that I've had.
    Give me a break.
      If my family was just a bit poorer, I probably would not have been able to attend college.    If I had been a minority, among the companies I've worked at, if just one hiring manager or executive had been slightly racist, it could have changed my entire career for the worse.    Even if I had the career, I probably would have been paid far less.      Etc.
    If you attitude becomes well known I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you are suddenly making a lot less. There isn't a lot of room in this world for racists and as such you aren't in heavy demand.
    It's very easy to look at someone who hasn't made it and blame them for not working hard enough in school, not planning ahead, etc., but in our very expensive society, it really doesn't take all that much to wind up in the streets.    As we move more and more to a service economy, a greater number of workers are surviving on minimum wage or close to it (and that's if they're lucky enough to be working).     In most places in the U.S., it's virtually impossible to survive on minimum wage unless you're living in someone else's household.  
    The minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to support a family on. I'm not sure how this concept ever developed.
    Frankly, when I see what my basic expenses are (and I live in a 2-bedroom apartment in a middle-class neighborhood -- nothing fancy), it constantly makes me wonder how even decently paid people survive.   
    By being frugal. By not wasting money on trendy items. By growing and raising some of your food. By putting the wife out on the street to earn a little bit of income. By focusing on what is important and enjoyable in life. By not buying a bunch of toys. By avoiding credit cards and other excessive "loan" terms.
    However, I'm not sure I buy the guy's story.   He broke into Steve Jobs' house by a matter of coincidence?
    Criminals can be either extremely stupid or very smart, most are extremely stupid.
       His is the only house in Palo Alto that's under construction?      Is Palo Alto a place where one can live in their car and not get noticed, especially in a residential neighborhood?     He sure seemed to know where to resell the expensive jewelry...it's not like he sold an expensive piece for $100 on the street to get something to eat for a few days.

In most cases criminals are not caught as a result of their first crime. Most likely there is a criminal history that is long and sad. Sad because a permanent solution should have been used long ago to remove this individual from society.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Funny I always use cash. I really try to limit the credit card companies ability to make a living off me.

I see where you're coming from, but when I use cash, it basically means the cost of everything I buy is rounded up to the nearest dollar, because I don't use a coin purse. So I'm getting coins that I'm never spending. They just accumulate in a bucket over there.

• Reply 60 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I see where you're coming from, but when I use cash, it basically means the cost of everything I buy is rounded up to the nearest dollar, because I don't use a coin purse. So I'm getting coins that I'm never spending. They just accumulate in a bucket over there.

Coin machines at the bank. Turn into bills. Small fee. Works great! I hate change myself. The penny and nickel should both be dropped; round to the nearest 10. The penny's over 2¢ to make and the nickel is TWELVE CENTS to make.