Apple may launch next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' at two separate media events

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

The iPhone is responsible for almost half of Apple's income. By itself it is a larger business than the totality of Microsoft. Surely it would be important enough to have it's own event.

I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't really think there is sufficient evidence to decide one way or the other, but your argument mirrors Grubers and to that degree I find it unconvincing.  

The reason I think it's wrong headed is it's based on finances.  I mean, what does the public care about which product made the most money?  Who cares really what the sales volumes are either?  The fact is, most of the iPhone buying public doesn't get their news from watching Apple events either.  They will find out about it the day after when the news reports come out about the event or from the commercials that will air soon after that. 

IMO the only valid reason for two events is to clarify their messaging (if it needs it), not because one product is so big in the market that it "deserves" it's own event.  

Personally, I hope they talk about the iPad mini at the event because pretty much every single detail of the next iPhone has already been leaked in HD and Technicolour.  The same goes for iOS 6.  

If all they are going to announce is the iPhone, it's going to be desperately boring, anticlimactic event for anyone who follows the tech news even marginally.   

I mean, after the boring economics and sales report part, what are they going to say?  "Here's that phone you've all been looking at for the last three months?"  "Oh, and remember that OS we already told you about in great detail, and then you read about in even more detail for the last three months?  Well here's that too." 

Yawn, snore, etc. 

• Reply 42 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

The Thunderdome?

We should just get beyond that… 

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The math, as defined by Apple, doesn't pan out that a retina iMac would be that size, at least not if it stays at 27 inches.

… I doubled the resolution. Were my numbers wrong? … Nope, double-checked… 

• Reply 43 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Gruber and Dalrymple

Two puds in a pod.

Shaking hands with every Mister Johnson in Cupertino's bars to get some hot action for their "prognostications".

They are right about what is plainly obvious most of the time.

Now there's some really uncalled for disgusting slurs.  

• Reply 44 of 64
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

"Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Would they then need a third event to roll out the new iMac and Mac Mini computers?"

The iPhone is responsible for almost half of Apple's income. By itself it is a larger business than the totality of Microsoft. Surely it would be important enough to have it's own event.

The iPad is also huge. By itself it is a larger business than all of Mac and all of iPod.

I think we all haven't quite gotten our heads around the enormity of these products even though the whole product line can be put on a small table.

What I think a lot of people can't get their heads around is that all those pretty Apps that make the iPhone and iPad so popular...?  Are all built on a Mac.  Regardless of revenue, the desktop line of Macs will continue to get the public treatment, because they are excellent machines at entry-level prices -- and more Macs means more Apps.  Period.

• Reply 45 of 64
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

I hope they release a 7.85" Apple TV.

• Reply 46 of 64
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member

[OT]Why so many Obama ads on this site?? Seriously.[/OT]

• Reply 47 of 64

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

[OT]Why so many Obama ads on this site?? Seriously.[/OT]

Maybe PoliticalOutsider is being more active than usual. image

• Reply 48 of 64
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Who the heck is Gruber?  Does he work for Apple?  Is this just conjecture?  They'll announce what they announce and that's what they'll announce.

I'm sure they'll announce what they are ready to announce and that's what announcements are for.

Why even post that conjecture?  I think they are going to announce whatever they are going to announce at the next announcement and I'll be more accurate than ANYONE else's predictions.  Why?  Because I know as much as anyone else other than APPLE at what they are going to announce at their next announcement.  Gruber or anyone else for that matter.

We can THINK we know more but most of the projections on the WWDC announcement weren't 100% accurate, were they?  NO.

Of course he doesn't work for Apple.  Nobody in the Apple pundit press can work for Apple, except those chosen by Apple who sign - and stick to - NDA's to get advance access to Apple products for review purposes.  

So why post any conjecture?  Oh, wait, this is a site dedicated to that very purpose.  Imagine.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Gruber and Dalrymple

Two puds in a pod.

Shaking hands with every Mister Johnson in Cupertino's bars to get some hot action for their "prognostications".

They are right about what is plainly obvious most of the time.

While you (by what one presumes is some refreshingly, better contrast), are who or what exactly.....??  And if the people who are gleaning info to feed the entire Apple rumor press are so distasteful to you, what are you doing reading a site like this?  We got nothing BUT secret-grubbing electron-stained wretches all working this beat from every angle possible.

It may not be the work of a diplomat or Mother Teresa, but I'd rather pore over Chinese shipping manifests and line by line reads of iOS builds than go through Lindsay Lohan's garbage if I were in the feeding the curiosity beast industry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Now there's some really uncalled for disgusting slurs.  

What you said......   

• Reply 49 of 64
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am asking myself the same question. Some people seems to freak out at the idea of Apple launching some product they don't like.  I don't need an ipad mini, but I sure understand there is a big market for it and the more devices Apple makes the more devices with the Apple ecosystem.  With the volume Apple makes they are still going to have margins on all those products. Apple is way to dependent on the iPhone with 50% of there profit, they need to diversified income. 

The next war is going to be about ecosystem's.  Apple absolutely must enter the TV market and the sooner the better. With people buying good's in the ecosystem, it locks them in, especially with content moving into the cloud and being streamable for life at no additional cost. We don't need to manage content now, interesting time we live in.

They don't necessarily have to sell an Apple branded TV.  They could either introduce a more robust set top box similar to what Tivo has, OR they could get a very robust motherboard able to record H.265 video DVR, etc., etc. and OEM it to various Television mfg to offer a DVR/smartTV combo that other mfg sell and do a co-brand offering.

Either way, I am sure Apple will have something more than just the Apple TV box they currently sell.  I think they are going the options and trying to figure out what makes the most sense for everyone.

• Reply 50 of 64
    iPad mIni is an event all in itself. Not going to happen this year. Not enough leakage. Sounds like Gruber and co are changing their iTunes.
  • Reply 51 of 64

Actually, I've got it on good authority that the second event will be used to announce the release of the new Apple Orgasmatron Cube.

You see? Cook wasn't kidding when he said they were doubling down on secrecy. I mean, who knew?

The new iPhone is being released first so they can sell a few million of them before people get their hands on the Orgasmatron...

(I still think Apple could be conspiring to "sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids" with this thing, but I'm not sure about that yet.) 

As for an "iPad Mini"? Well, you guys have started talking like it's all but a done deal, pretty much a given, so… I guess that's that, eh?

• Reply 52 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe PoliticalOutsider is being more active than usual. image

I know, right? Preaching to the choir?

• Reply 53 of 64
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They don't necessarily have to sell an Apple branded TV.  They could either introduce a more robust set top box similar to what Tivo has, OR they could get a very robust motherboard able to record H.265 video DVR, etc., etc. and OEM it to various Television mfg to offer a DVR/smartTV combo that other mfg sell and do a co-brand offering.

Either way, I am sure Apple will have something more than just the Apple TV box they currently sell.  I think they are going the options and trying to figure out what makes the most sense for everyone.

Actually I would like to see:

Classic 99$ Apple TV with :  App store. ATSC tuner, DvR support on optional external USB drive or on a NetDrive. Support for itunes serveur on a net drive. A good device for people who wants to cut cable.

IPTV set-top box with :  Classic 99$ Apple TV functions + Full integration of live IPTV feeds with itunes on demand content. The distributor would get a cut on all on demand rentals, sales, apps. Apple bring its ecosystem and the distributor brings the live IPTV feeds and ensure reliable live feeds and on demand content that doesnt use any internet bandwigh on youre internet plan.

Full Apple TV set. For clients that want everything in the set without any external device.  So ITPV set-top box functions + Bose integrated speakers for high quality "fake" surround sound. A deluxe product, expect high price.

I am convince that in a few years cable operators are going to offer multiple ecosystems set top boxes and that Microsoft, Google and Apple are going to be players in that market.

FYI:  A PvR never re-encode the feeds, it just put them on the drive.  For example a ATSC DvR would require a big amount of disk space because the feeds are MPEG-2.  On the other side, U-verse IPTV feeds are H264 and take a lot less space.  Re-encoding multiple live feeds on a DvR would require huge processing power and consume a decent amount of electrical power. Such a unit would have a high price tag. Devices that re-encode ATSC feeds into H264 in almost real time do exist, but unless you want to put those feeds on bittorrent sites or make a personnal TV collection I dont see the point and both are illegal. Content providers will never alow such a device to be sold by anyone who sell on demand content or distribute live TV feeds. All cable box PVR's are required to be encrypted or reformat the drive into a proprietary format that will be unreadable on a computer.

• Reply 54 of 64

A Verizon store manager has confirmed this theory, or at least this is what the management teams have been told. Apparently, the iPad mini will be announced on September 12 and go on sale on the 21st. They have been told that the new iPhone will be announced immediately after the iPad mini goes on sale. This will create a huge hype for the iPhone since it is widely expected to be announced on the 12th. 

• Reply 55 of 64

NOOOOO!!!!! The iPad Mini will be the iPad Mini, not the next gen. iPod touch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever been to an Apple Store?! Have you seen the amount of kids who have iPod touches? Every kid I meet either wants or has an iPod touch. Not iPhones, not iPads, iPod touches. And Apple is making an enormous profit on them. It costs something like 25 bucks to make one. .7 MP camera, A4, 256 MB of RAM, dumb speaker, etc.! There hasn't been a refresh in 2 years and they still make crazy profit!

• Reply 56 of 64
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

These people sure are desperate for an iPad mini to be made so they don't sound like complete idiots, aren't they?

listen to the current episode of Gruber's podcast (The Talk Show with John Gruber, Ep. 13) and you might not have made this statement.

• Reply 57 of 64
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I hope they talk about the iPad mini at the event because pretty much every single detail of the next iPhone has already been leaked in HD and Technicolour.  The same goes for iOS 6.  

If all they are going to announce is the iPhone, it's going to be desperately boring, anticlimactic event for anyone who follows the tech news even marginally.   

I mean, after the boring economics and sales report part, what are they going to say?  "Here's that phone you've all been looking at for the last three months?"  "Oh, and remember that OS we already told you about in great detail, and then you read about in even more detail for the last three months?  Well here's that too." 

Yawn, snore, etc. 

I agree with you it will be a boring event if the iPhone is the only thing they announce.  Gruber does have a point though that Apple does traditionally hold a music/iTunes related event in October.  I'm not sure of the iPad mini would fit the same category of device that the iPod line would though.  I think that would only fit if this iPad mini was in some way a replacement for the current touch, something i've predicted for a few months now.  However, after hearing all the arguments, I think we will see either the rumored Mini replace the current touch and the iPhone be the only small form-factor iOS device.  OR, we don't see and iPad mini until February (as a one more option to the iPad line), and the October event will release the new iPod Touch and possibly other re-vamped iPod devices.

One might also say that we've seen a ton of leaks regarding this rumored iPad mini as well.  So if they do announce this device it might be a snore as well.  I think at this point a good majority of people think the rumors of size and design are pretty much set, and I think most people have already made up their mind on whether to like/dislike it.  Granted it is a device that the general public has been craving for for a while now, but whenever they do announce it, people will ultimately be disappointed that it's not more than what the rumor-mills have been generating.

you know Wall Street will be really pissed if all the analysts were wrong.

personally, I think an iPad mini is just gravy for Apple.  They are already successful enough with the current line that they really don't have to produce an in-between model.  They sell more iPhones and iPads currently than the sum of the rest of their products combined.  They don't really need a device like the rumored mini.

as a complete tangential topic.  I'd really love to see the October event focus on the iPod line.  I'd really love to see the merging of the iPod Shuffle with the Nano and a swan-song-like iPod classic...that has Wifi iTunes sync and SSD, but still maintain the "eye's free" pleasure of operation that the click-wheel offered.  After my '08 classic die, and using my iPhone as it's replacement, I'm really not happy with anything iPod related in iOS...NOT ONE BIT.  I think at this point, the all-in-one and iOS solution just doesn't work for audio related apps.  The classic and other click-wheel iPods were perfect and really only needed a WiFi-sync to top it off.  A camera that took Still photos might have been pretty nice too, they really dropped the ball with the Nano's video-only camera.

• Reply 58 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sure people will love a $200 remote for a $2000 HDTV.

I think Logitech has covered that market segment. 

• Reply 59 of 64
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    I keep suggesting that there is no iPad Mini and that there will only be an iPhone event this October, because there is little chance of producing one in such a short amount of time since the release of the macbooks at WWDC 12 and Tim Cook stated AllThingsD that they only make the best products.
  • Reply 60 of 64

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

I keep suggesting that there is no iPad Mini and that there will only be an iPhone event this October, because there is little chance of producing one in such a short amount of time since the release of the macbooks at WWDC 12 and Tim Cook stated AllThingsD that they only make the best products.

This chain of logic is faulty. Apple doesn't do one thing at a time.