Apple may launch next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' at two separate media events

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Now that has to be the most inane reason for NOT buying a product. Because of the name ???

You need to take some marketing classes... a name matter a lot.

• Reply 62 of 64
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This chain of logic is faulty. Apple doesn't do one thing at a time.

But they just made the new iPad... it doesn't make sense that they would make an iPad Mini during the release of the Macbooks, because they only presented iOS 6. If Apple has been working on something it's only been the iPhone 5 and iPods. They'd have to create a whole new chipset and housing by this time to make the iOS Software for it to be set at the same resolution as the iPad 2's. Besides... it's an iPad Mini... It would feel like a novelty if you already had the new iPad. So I don't think Apple is making one.

• Reply 63 of 64

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

…during the release of the MacBooks… 

There is no "during the release". This is nonsense. Do you think Apple made 100 million iPhone 4S' before it was launched and is simply selling that old stock now? Do you think that Apple only builds one product at a time at any one time? They can build whatever they want to build simultaneously with anything else being built as long as enough stock of the raw elemental components exist on Earth.

If Apple has been working on something it's only been the iPhone 5 and iPods.

And personally I agree with you, but your broken logic does not prove this, nor is our belief anything other than subjective opinion. Apple COULD easily be doing other things.

They'd have to create a whole new chipset and housing by this time to make the iOS Software for it to be set at the same resolution as the iPad 2's.

Wait, what? No. Chipset? They'll need a new board, sure. And obviously a new physical case. But… 

• Reply 64 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The last media event for the 4S was October 4th, Steve died the day after. The iPhone that is coming up was apparently the last project he dedicated his full time to and didn't spend much on the 4S. They might want to avoid the anniversary date but since it was his last project, I expect that will play a part in the launch.

The Retina MBP shipping times are down to 2-4 days so they are clearing the orders and I'd say the new iMac/Mini models should be dropping in pretty soon. I expect the iMac to have a major redesign that would be deserving of a small press event. Laminated glass, no optical, no chin, not retina but possibly 27" all-round.

An iPad Mini will have a big market, especially for the back to school crowd. Apple still doesn't have much competition so it's no big deal if they don't bother. Samsung has 7" and 10" and sold 1.4m in the US while Apple sold 34m with just a 10" model. When you outsell your closest competitor (ignoring e-book readers) by that much, there's no pressure to do anything major.

It would make a great Christmas gift at $299 though, especially for kids where the smaller size and lower weight is a benefit. I don't think it would be like the designs that were posted with the non-uniform bezel. People still have to hold it in portrait. ~8", 1024 x 768, iPad 2 spec possibly minus rear camera.

iOS 6 will probably be ready for a September launch and all the iPhone parts have been photographed. I don't think there's enough to talk about with the new iMac so the best setup might be to have a September event to launch the new iPhone with iOS 6 and iPod Touch but shipping October 5th and issue pre-orders. Then show off the new iMac that ships same day and iPad Mini too if they feel they should make one but shipping later like the iPhone. The biggest problem with an iPad Mini launch now is it puts it out of step with the other iPad releases when it comes to components, it's probably best if they all arrive together.