Rumor: Retina displays being produced for 13-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An analyst citing upstream supply chain sources claims that a high-resolution display bound for a rumored 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is now in production, with initial output volumes expected to be higher than the current 15-inch version.

According to NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim, the display purportedly being produced for the smallest MacBook Pro features a resolution of 2,560-by-1600 pixels, compared to the current iteration's 1,280-by-800 pixel screen, reports CNET.

"The supply chain indications are that it's for a MacBook Pro 13.3 — not a MacBook Air," Shim said.

The analyst goes on to say Samsung, LG Display and Sharp are all churning out the new 13-inch panel to meet a higher initial volume compared to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display's launch in June. Stock of Apple's top-of-the-line laptop quickly dwindled as supply couldn't meet demand due to low display yield rates, and only recently has the company been able to catch up, with shipments now quoted at two to four business days.

"With 15.4 it's production of a few hundred thousand units versus one to two million for the 13.3," Shim said. He prefaced the estimates by noting volume depends on yield rates, noting that if the manufacturers are able to reach rate of 70, 80, or 90 percent, output of the 13-inch panel will likely be in the "million and a half range."

Shim also pointed out that the manufacturing capabilities of the three different suppliers can factor into how many displays will be ready for assembly.

"With Samsung, if you look at the new [Retina] iPad, they had fewer issues reaching the higher resolution requests from Apple," he said. "They were the first vendor to get to volume with that panel."

The production timeline could point to a fall debut for the rumored 13-inch Retina display-packing MacBook Pro, which is in line with previous reports that Apple would be launching the laptop in September.

MacBook Pro

Sunday's rumor comes on the heels of multiple sightings (1, 2) of an unknown MacBook Pro seen on online benchmarking site Geekbench.

Currently, the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is identified as "MacBookPro10,1," while the legacy 15-inch model is "MacBookPro9,1." The "10,2" identifier, first spotted in the logs of an online battery testing site, hints at a Retina version of the 13-inch laptop as the recently updated non-Retina version carries the "MacBookPro9,2" designation.

While it is unclear when Apple will decide to launch the purported device, the company is expected to debut the next-generation iPhone at an as-yet-unannounced Sept. 12 event. Further rumors suggest a smaller iPad will also be launched in October ahead of a revamped iPod touch and iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Good to hear more on this front again! And then the Air with the Haswell refresh and the iMac whenever the panels can be made large enough.

• Reply 2 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

What resolution will it be? 2560x1600 Can that be right?

• Reply 3 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What resolution will it be? 2560x1600 Can that be right?

Astounding, innit? I got to use a retina MacBook Pro for an extended period recently, and now I'm wasted on… how does that idiom go? I'm seeing the pixels on my 27" Cinema Display all the more clearly now.

You can tell exactly what Apple intends for their future products.

• Reply 4 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Astounding, innit? I got to use a retina MacBook Pro for an extended period recently, and now I'm wasted on… how does that idiom go? I'm seeing the pixels on my 27" Cinema Display all the more clearly now.

Yup, it's pretty amazing. I have only used a RMBP for a few minutes in a department store, and I have bad eyesight, and I could still tell the difference.

• Reply 5 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While it is unclear when Apple will decide to launch the purported device, the company is expected to debut the next-generation iPhone at an as-yet-unannounced Sept. 12 event. Further rumors suggest a smaller iPad will also be launched in October ahead of a revamped iPod touch and iPod nano.

I wonder if we'll see iPod + iPhone in September and iPad Mini + Retina MacBook in October? I guess it could be any combination of things, but it's looking more feasible Apple is planning 2 events since they have so many products coming.

• Reply 6 of 41

Quote:

I got my rMBP last week, and I am blown away. I did not imagine that I would get used to its brilliance and clarity so quickly. Frankly, my non-retina Macs (I have pretty much the lot, the latest being  the MBA11 and the Cinema Display) now look lame, by comparison. There's simply no going back. It's not possible.

That said, MS Office truly sucks on it: greyed out, pixelated, shockingly bad (iWork looks amazing, though). I wonder of there's a fix of some kind.....

• Reply 7 of 41
    It's been funny reading all the reviews that burn the retina display as "not ready for prime time" as if the 15" we're Apple's only trick in the bag... realizing all the while that the 15" had to happen first because the 13" is what folks [I]really[/I] want.

So the 15" primed the market and warned content providers what was coming,
    but the 13" is the real deal with mass appeal.
  • Reply 8 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I got my rMBP last week, and I am blown away. I did not imagine that I would get used to its brilliance and clarity so quickly. Frankly, my non-retina Macs (I have pretty much the lot, the latest being  the MBA11 and the Cinema Display) now look lame, by comparison. There's simply no going back. It's not possible.

That said, MS Office truly sucks on it: greyed out, pixelated, shockingly bad (iWork looks amazing, though). I wonder of there's a fix of some kind.....

Yes. There is a way. Here's how: http://imgur.com/a/0P5KY

• Reply 9 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll see iPod + iPhone in September and iPad Mini + Retina MacBook in October? I guess it could be any combination of things, but it's looking more feasible Apple is planning 2 events since they have so many products coming.

That makes the most sense to me but I guess these others can switch around based on what is available for sale at the time.

I would point out that the IPS panel, removing the extra layer of glass, and other additions to the display quality are also a factor but you have an ACD. I don't see how anyone will compete with this and another reason why I think Apple needs a new Mac campaign on the ready. Everything is in their favour with Win8 being such a dramatic change. Unfortunately, seeing this machine on a TV won't do it justice so any campaign needs to have you test drive it.

I've been holding out for a RiMac but I may not be able to resist a 13" RMBP

brutus009 wrote: »
    It's been funny reading all the reviews that burn the retina display as "not ready for prime time" as if the 15" we're Apple's only trick in the bag... realizing all the while that the 15" had to happen first because the 13" is what folks really want.
    So the 15" primed the market and warned content providers what was coming,
    but the 13" is the real deal with mass appeal.

15" and then 13" in the MBPs because of cost and power needs to run that display. After that I'd think the MBAs would be next over the iMac but because I think the cost of the display is so incredible. We're talking about 5120x2880 if we keep the elements the exact same size. I doubt this will be like the RMBP where one size gets it first because the first size to be available is the 21" model, which I don't see happening until the 27" model is ready to go.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I see the Retina Display as a norm for all macs eventually.  It's a good thing.  I think the iMac would be a great machine for a retina display.  Wonder how cost effective that will be though?  A 27" iMac w/ retina display.

• Reply 11 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Good to hear more on this front again! And then the Air with the Haswell refresh and the iMac whenever the panels can be made large enough.

Question: Are you planning on purchasing ANY of these products? If not, why the excitement?

• Reply 12 of 41

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Question: Are you planning on purchasing ANY of these products? If not, why the excitement?

Nope. I was actually thinking of bringing my LC 575 up out of the basement and getting 'er on the Internet again. Mac Pro, schMac Pro.

• Reply 13 of 41
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Nice to see news not about ios devices or trials, but where is desktop news? I have been needing a desktop for months now, and would prefer a new iMac, but the current machine needs a refresh before I am dropping cash.

Or is the apple future all notebooks and iPads? Starting to wonder...
  • Reply 14 of 41

Originally Posted by shen View Post

Or is the apple future all notebooks and iPads?

I tend to think that desktops will see a resurgence as tablets replace laptops.

• Reply 15 of 41

Quote:

I tend to think that desktops will see a resurgence as tablets replace laptops.

Or do you mean as tablets replace MB Airs / Ultrabooks.  I don't see the MB Pro's being replaced by tablets anytime soon but I definitely see iPad's replacing MB Airs.  Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 16 of 41

I've had my rMBP for about a month now and it drives me crazy to look at a lesser display now. This is the future of computer displays.

• Reply 17 of 41

Wake me up when the 27" Panel is Retina ready and a truly new Mac Pro arrives.

• Reply 18 of 41
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Nice to hear. I was this close to getting an MBA until these rumors picked up credibility. If I could have a 13" screen, a smaller/lighter footprint, and a real keyboard instead of that shallow affair the current MBA uses, I'd be a happy user.

• Reply 19 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I purchase a retina MBP for a client and spent two weeks using it and configuring it.  Simply an awesome machine.  The retina display truly is the future of all Macs I believe.  The ironic part is that he also purchased the LED Cinema Display to use at the office, and that is the primary monitor.  The ironic part is that he's used the retina display only twice and the rest of the time he's using the 27" monitor - at a lower resolution.  It's still an awesome setup anyways.

I have a 2011 MBA with the 27" LED monitor too.  I'm looking forward to a 13" retina MBA (or MBP)  and hopefully, a 27" retina iMac.  I hope Christmas comes sooner than later!

• Reply 20 of 41

I will certainly check out the 13" but as the above post says, an iMac retina would be sweet...