Apple's Tim Cook in patent talks with Google CEO Larry Page

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

You do realize it's not _literally_ nuclear devastation you're talking about right?  But that it is _literally_ the extinguishing of a life you're also talking about?  Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?

Sigh.

His point is that Steve Jobs was willing to go to any means to fight Android--time, money, resources, etc. That effort detracts from Apple's time spent creating and improving other products.

With that in mind, and as a shareholder, majjo was more interested in developing and improving products, not battling Android, and so in that sense, he's saying that he's glad Steve Jobs died, because now that he's gone, there is no longer an insane drive to battle Android rather than focus on improving.

Is that really so hard to understand?

• Reply 62 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple doesn't use Google's specific methods as outlined in their pending patent application so they aren't infringing in the first place.

Your question is irrelevant.

Samsung and HTC have both been found to have infringed Apple's patents and have either had to make changes to work around them or are facing damages subject to the appeals process.

Look at you, dismissing everything that's convenient. Prior art, schmior art!

• Reply 63 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Sigh.

His point is that Steve Jobs was willing to go to any means to fight Android--time, money, resources, etc. That effort detracts from Apple's time spent creating and improving other products.

With that in mind, and as a shareholder, majjo was more interested in developing and improving products, not battling Android, and so in that sense, he's saying that he's glad Steve Jobs died, because now that he's gone, there is no longer an insane drive to battle Android rather than focus on improving.

Wrong.

Maybe in the befuddled mind of a Google acolyte.

Jobs had no issue with Android as such.

Jobs did have an issue with those parts of Android he believed were stolen.

So far a few courts have backed this sentiment up.

• Reply 64 of 109
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    shidell wrote: »
    Yeah, in the same way Google worked/is working around Apple's claims, I imagine.

I do hope they come to a consensus. These types of battles are really just wasting everyone's time.

I think Apple ultimately has the advantage here. Google, being relatively new, doesn't have much patents to assert. The Motorola purchase helps with this regard, but they have a lot more patents to work around than Apple. I see this as less incentive for Apple to cross license with them.

t will probably take a major court loss, threat of invalidation of their key patents, or an injunction to force Apple to consider cross licensing.

Google has played their hand with the Motorola case, we'll see how it goes.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member

Quote:

Sigh.

Uh, sure.  To be a shareholder who is concerned about the direction of a company is one thing.  But to be glad about the death of a human being (no matter who it is) is quite another.

I'm actually starting to feel quite nauseous at the thought that people are trying to justify the latter behaviour... am I the only one who thinks that the death of a human being is just slightly more important than the value of a stock?  Hope that he gets ousted from his position, kicked out the company, or whatever business repercussions you like.  But to wish death on someone?  Sick indeed.

• Reply 66 of 109

Quote:

Look at you, dismissing everything that's convenient. Prior art, schmior art!

Apple adapted their own methods, methods they've been using for thirty years.

Whether it's prior art or not it shows that Apple has no need for whatever Google uses in Android as clearly they have their own way of doing this.

• Reply 67 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

If death was what it took to halt 'nucular devestation' then I'm glad it happened. Simple as that.

Let them be offended.

Did you *really* think Jobs meant to spend every last dollar on litigation? Apple's litigation costs are a fraction of fraction of their profit, never mind revenue. 

Jobs meant he was *serious*. And Tim is carrying that through. What you're seeing now (Samsung included) *is* "thermonuclear" war on Android. And Apple is spending whatever money it takes. 

Good thing you didn't think he meant dropping an actual bomb on Google HQ from a B-2. Though I wouldn't have put it past you. 

*rolleyes*

It's as if the trolls heading to MacRumors took a wrong turn and got stuck on AI. 

• Reply 68 of 109

Quote:

He IS dead, get over it.

And, as a shareholder at that time,..

Quote:

With that in mind, and as a shareholder, majjo was more interested...

It seems it is more likely that majjo is a disgruntled EX-shareholder who dumped his stock at the wrong time and is now bitter and resentful over one hell of a missed opportunity.

• Reply 69 of 109
    hill60 wrote: »
    Wrong.

Maybe in the befuddled mind of a Google acolyte.

Jobs had no issue with Android as such.

Jobs did have an issue with those parts of Android he believed were stolen.

So far a few courts have backed this sentiment up.

That is not how it is portrayed on sites such as this one. The quote is "Im going to destroy android, because its a stolen product" not parts of android.
  • Reply 70 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Did you *really* think Jobs meant to spend every last dollar on litigation? Apple's litigation costs are a fraction of fraction of their profit, never mind revenue. 

Jobs meant he was *serious*. And Tim is carrying that through. What you're seeing now (Samsung included) *is* "thermonuclear" war on Android. And Apple is spending whatever money it takes. 

Good thing you didn't think he meant dropping an actual bomb on Google HQ from a B-2. Though I wouldn't have put it past you. 

*rolleyes*

It's as if the trolls heading to MacRumors took a wrong turn and got stuck on AI. 

And you think he meant spending every last penny?

He meant being "serious" and expending any "serious" amount of energy and resources would be wasted.

Apparently that got past you, though, and so you felt the need to post this.

Maybe at MacRumors they'll spell things out a little more clearly for you? I don't know, I don't visit.

• Reply 71 of 109

Quote:

That is not how it is portrayed on sites such as this one. The quote is "Im going to destroy android, because its a stolen product" not parts of android.

Why don't you read the quote in my sig.

??????????????????

• Reply 72 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why don't you read the quote in my sig.

??????????????????

He's not wrong, though. Jobs wanted Android off the market entirely. He would have preferred that as publicly as possible, with Google stopping all development thereof and issuing an apology. 

But in lieu of that, I'm sure he's fine with what Tim's guiding Apple to do; suing every single Android manufacturer until they're too afraid to use it and the OS itself becomes too expensive to license.

A long, slow, arduous, painful, deliciously fulfilling death. As we watch them squirm. But no, Steve probably preferred the quick and easy way.

• Reply 73 of 109
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member

Quote:

Sigh.

Heavy sigh.

"I'm glad he's dead <insert ANY context>"

Is that so hard to understand?

• Reply 74 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom J View Post

Heavy sigh.

"I'm glad he's dead <insert ANY context>"

Is that so hard to understand?

It's not as if members of this site wouldn't say something similar if Andy Rubin died.

• Reply 75 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A long, slow, arduous, painful, deliciously fulfilling death. As we watch them squirm.

What is your beef with Android (or Google in general) anyway?

I know you're a massive Apple fanboy, and as such, I expect you to hate Android. That's the norm. Do you have a reason aside from that to hate them?

• Reply 76 of 109
    He's not wrong, though. Jobs wanted Android off the market entirely. He would have preferred that as publicly as possible, with Google stopping all development thereof and issuing an apology. 

But in lieu of that, I'm sure he's fine with what Tim's guiding Apple to do; suing every single Android manufacturer until they're too afraid to use it and the OS itself becomes too expensive to license.

A long, slow, arduous, painful, deliciously fulfilling death. As we watch them squirm. But no, Steve probably preferred the quick and easy way.

And Google would not have backed down quietly. What was that other Jobs quote? In order for apple to win, Microsoft doesn't have to lose? The same applies here; just replace Ms with Google.

And even with Android gaining marketshare, apple is making record profits. That is the approach I wished jobs would've taken. The majority of iOS and android customers don't cross shop. So I don't see android as that big a threat against the iPhone.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It's not as if members of this site wouldn't say something similar if Andy Rubin died.

No, no. Don't spin this around. We're talking about THIS actual problem, not a hypothetical.

Anyone that wishes on or expresses happiness upon the death of another has illegitimized his argument and character. Doesn't matter the 'alignment'.

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

What is your beef with Android (or Google in general) anyway? I know you're a massive Apple fanboy, and as such, I expect you to hate Android. That's the norm. Do you have a reason aside from that to hate them?

At least you've expressed up front that you'll ignore whatever argument I write in response. That's progress.

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

In order for apple to win, Microsoft doesn't have to lose? The same applies here; just replace Ms with Google.

You realize he said that after about fifteen years of the industry stagnating and having been destroyed by copying, right? You realize that Google coming onto the scene doing the exact same thing that Microsoft did to Steve 25 years before isn't the same thing in the slightest, right? 

You realize this, yes? And yet you still want to say that instead of something that makes sense there?

So I don't see android as that big a threat against the iPhone.

Right… 

????

• Reply 78 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Reminds me of a quote from one of our ex-Prime Ministers, Paul Keating:-

Hewson: I ask the Prime Minister: if you are so confident about your view of Fightback, why will you not call an early election?

Keating: The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm out of this load of rubbish over a number of months. There will be no easy execution for you. You have perpetrated one of the great mischiefs on the Australian public with this thing, trying to rip away our social wage, trying to rip away the Australian values which we built in our society for over a century.

• Reply 79 of 109
    No, no. Don't spin this around. We're talking about THIS actual problem, not a hypothetical.

Anyone that wishes on or expresses happiness upon the death of another has illegitimized his argument and character. Doesn't matter the 'alignment'.

At least you've expressed up front that you'll ignore whatever argument I write in response. That's progress.
    You realize he said that after about fifteen years of the industry stagnating and having been destroyed by copying, right? You realize that Google coming onto the scene doing the exact same thing that Microsoft did to Steve 25 years before isn't the same thing in the slightest, right? 

You realize this, yes? And yet you still want to say that instead of something that makes sense there?

Right… 
    [SIZE=72px]????[/SIZE]

Even while Samsung was selling the galaxy s, the android phone that was the closest to a direct copy of the iPhone, apple was still having blowout qtr after blowout qtr. Even with the 'copycats' on the market, iOS showed top retention rates.

All the litigation apple did against Samsung, and with the exception of the CA case hasn't amounted to much. Some even threw out Apple's design patents and ordered Apple to issue an apology to Samsung.

With those observations, yes, I don't see android impacting apple much.
  • Reply 80 of 109
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Tim Cook: "So Larry, officially, I'm here to work out a deal with Google Android"

Larry Page: "That's great Tim! We took a bit of a beating in that court case so this is good news!"

Tim Cook: "You didn't let me finish Larry, shut up. I said officially as in what the public will hear. They will also hear that we couldn't come to an agreement."

Larry Page: <blink> <blink>

Tim Cook: "It's more just going through the motions Larry. We are actually going to drive all your partners to MS Windows phone 8 because it's different than iOS and it sucks"

Larry Page: <blink> <blink>

Tim Cook: "Android will eventually fall off the face of the earth because nobody will want to face us in court again. Also you'll be glad to hear that we are dropping iAD because we just can't compete with Google Ads"

Larry Page: "Well I guess that's some good news"

Tim Cook: "Not really Larry, as a service to our iOS safari users who are the largest mobile internet group, we are building in an ad block that will be turned on by default so no more ad revenue for you on iOS which is where you make all your money"

Larry Page: <lump emerges at back of pants>

Tim Cook: "Well I should go. I suppose enough time has passed to appear that I'm trying to work with you. See you Larry."

Great post!