Apple's Tim Cook in patent talks with Google CEO Larry Page

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook is reported to be engaged in discussions with his Google counterpart Larry Page, covering mobile patents and related intellectual property disputes between the two.

According to a report by Reuters, Page and Cook "had a phone conversation last week," and "are expected to talk again in the coming weeks."

Lower level executives from the two tech companies are also said to be involved in ongoing discussions, an apparent change following Apple's decisive win in its latest patent battle with Android licensee Samsung.

So far, Apple and Google haven't duked it out in court yet, with Apple instead fighting directly only with Google's Android licensees HTC, Samsung and Motorola Mobility, although the latter is now a Google subsidiary.

It's not known if Apple and Google are considering a broad cross licensing agreement (as Apple pursued with Microsoft, subject to specific "anti cloning" exceptions to protect its unique iPhone and iPad designs), or if the discussions are more limited in nature.

Apple's former chief executive Steve Jobs privately called Android a "stolen product" and told his biographer he was determined to use Apple's resources to "destroy" it.

Jobs also expressed betrayal by Google's former chief executive, Eric Schmidt, who directed the company to shift Android into direct competition against the iPhone while sitting on Apple's board.

In his own discussions with Schmidt, Jobs reportedly said, "I don't want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want."

While Android is generally based upon Linux and JavaME, Apple has argued that it runs afoul of core patented technology developed at Apple, having noted that Android's primary developer Andy Rubin got started working at Apple in the 1990s.

Andy Rubin, from Apple to Android

Apple has also accused various Android licensees of copying its unique user interface features, charges that in many cases are related to features of Android itself.

Apple debuted the iPhone with strong support for Google's web search, mapping services and YouTube videos, but has since taken major steps to back away from its dependance upon Google, notably including the development of its own mapping services in the upcoming iOS 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Well, duh.

Why would this be news? Obviously, Apple is talking with everyone who might be infringing. If they reach an agreement, THEN it would be news.
  • Reply 2 of 109

Android won't be going away, it's time to deal with it one way or another. I'm personally ok with a licensing deal. That said, cutting Google off from making money from the iPhone (first maps, then?), while taking money from them for every android device is pretty much sticking it to them.

• Reply 3 of 109
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

If this goes anywhere, it'll end in a cross-licensing deal with no royalties paid either way--and that would be ultimately what a fan of iOS or Android would want.

• Reply 4 of 109
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Android won't be going away, it's time to deal with it one way or another. I'm personally ok with a licensing deal. That said, cutting Google off from making money from the iPhone (first maps, then?), while taking money from them for every android device is pretty much sticking it to them.

and that would be perfectly fine with me (and probably a lot of other folks).

• Reply 5 of 109

Don't see how there can be settlement given Apple has a lot more relevant patents than Google. Plus, Google has no control over the OEMs on copying iDevices, so the settlement can only be on the software side, and I don't see the lawsuits between Apple and the OEMs going away even with a settlement.

• Reply 6 of 109

Tim Cook: "So Larry, officially, I'm here to work out a deal with Google Android"

Larry Page: "That's great Tim! We took a bit of a beating in that court case so this is good news!"

Tim Cook: "You didn't let me finish Larry, shut up. I said officially as in what the public will hear. They will also hear that we couldn't come to an agreement."

Larry Page: <blink> <blink>

Tim Cook: "It's more just going through the motions Larry. We are actually going to drive all your partners to MS Windows phone 8 because it's different than iOS and it sucks"

Larry Page: <blink> <blink>

Tim Cook: "Android will eventually fall off the face of the earth because nobody will want to face us in court again. Also you'll be glad to hear that we are dropping iAD because we just can't compete with Google Ads"

Larry Page: "Well I guess that's some good news"

Tim Cook: "Not really Larry, as a service to our iOS safari users who are the largest mobile internet group, we are building in an ad block that will be turned on by default so no more ad revenue for you on iOS which is where you make all your money"

Larry Page: <lump emerges at back of pants>

Tim Cook: "Well I should go. I suppose enough time has passed to appear that I'm trying to work with you. See you Larry."

• Reply 7 of 109
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

If this goes anywhere, it'll end in a cross-licensing deal with no royalties paid either way--and that would be ultimately what a fan of iOS or Android would want.

Um....What IP does Google own that Apple wants?

All of those FRAND patents? LOL.

• Reply 8 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple setting out their terms. 

"We *won't* sue you into oblivion if you meet the following conditions . . ."

• Reply 9 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Tim:  $30-$40 for every single Android device on the market? Sure, Larry... but you still can't have access to our best patents for that. If it comes to that, we'll sue you to the end of time.

Larry:  I gotta go change my underwear.

• Reply 10 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Um....What IP does Google own that Apple wants?

All of those FRAND patents? LOL.

Just because Google doesn't litigate based on their IP, you honestly, truly believe that Google owns absolutely nothing that Apple wants?

• Reply 11 of 109
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    shidell wrote: »
    Just because Google doesn't litigate based on their IP, you honestly, truly believe that Google owns absolutely nothing that Apple wants?

Are you arguing the difference between filing complaints to the ITC and litigation?
  • Reply 12 of 109

Google owns mostly FRAND patents. They have to license it to Apple at the same price as they license it to other companies. They can't threaten to withhold it from Apple like they have been trying to do. Their patents have no real power. Apple meanwhile has a massive non-FRAND patent portfolio and they don't have to license to anyone if they don't want to.

• Reply 13 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Are you arguing the difference between filing complaints to the ITC and litigation?

No.

• Reply 14 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Google owns mostly FRAND patents. They have to license it to Apple at the same price as they license it to other companies. They can't threaten to withhold it from Apple like they have been trying to do. Their patents have no real power. Apple meanwhile has a massive non-FRAND patent portfolio and they don't have to license to anyone if they don't want to.

Google has locked itself into a losing position. Apple could sue them into a "living on skid row" position if they want. One thing is certain, if Tim agrees to patent armistice, he needs to make it hurt for Google.

• Reply 15 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Google has locked itself into a losing position. Apple could sue them into a "living on skid row" position if they want. One thing is certain, if Tim agrees to patent armistice, he needs to make it hurt for Google.

What are you talking about? Do you have any sort of evidence to back up your speculations?

• Reply 16 of 109
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

That would be the best outcome.

Talented as jobs was at CEO, I'm glad he's dead as his thermonuclear war against android was unrealistic. Hopefully cook is a lot more level headed in dealing with such issues.
  • Reply 17 of 109

Whats ip does apple own that google wants? 

• Reply 18 of 109
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    What are you talking about? Do you have any sort of evidence to back up your speculations?

It is pretty common knowledge that Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility was due to a desire to beef up their patent trove, which was considerably lacking compared to older companies.

Please remember that Google is by far the new kid on the block.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

That would be the best outcome.

Talented as jobs was at CEO, I'm glad he's dead as his thermonuclear war against android was unrealistic. Hopefully cook is a lot more level headed in dealing with such issues.

Google holding up under a legal IP microscope is also . . . unrealistic. 

• Reply 20 of 109
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Wants back, you mean?