Apple's Tim Cook in patent talks with Google CEO Larry Page

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Even while Samsung was selling the galaxy s, the android phone that was the closest to a direct copy of the iPhone, apple was still having blowout qtr after blowout qtr. Even with the 'copycats' on the market, iOS showed top retention rates.

Doesn't matter in the slightest. Apple has all the right in the world to tear apart thieves of intellectual property.

All the litigation apple did against Samsung, and with the exception of the CA case hasn't amounted to much.

Of course it hasn't. Of course.

…ordered Apple to issue an apology to Samsung.

Not past tense yet. Perhaps not even present tense ever.

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Great post!

I loved it, too. The only problem is that the EU would sue Apple for monopolistic behavior for that last line. I still want Apple to do it, but that's what would happen.

Apple really should just have Safari refuse all cookies from all Google properties (so no ads would ever get cookies) and manage any passwords you need for Google on its own. 

• Reply 82 of 109

Samsung is just a component manufacturing company. If Google and MS refuse to give OS to Samsung, they will not be able to sell a single phone in the market. THat would be really funny.

Koreans just know how to assemble parts. They will not be able to make a decent OS in the next 50 years.

• Reply 83 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

Samsung is just a component manufacturing company. If Google and MS refuse to give OS to Samsung, they will not be able to sell a single phone in the market. THat would be really funny.

Koreans just know how to assemble parts. They will not be able to make a decent OS in the next 50 years.

They have Bada and could use Brew, there are alternatives.

• Reply 84 of 109
    hill60 wrote: »

if you think Stock Android is somehow a rip-off of iOS despite the blatant differences then you'd definitely feel the same about Bada
  • Reply 85 of 109
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 160member
    majjo wrote: »
    That would be the best outcome.
    Talented as jobs was at CEO, I'm glad he's dead as his thermonuclear war against android was unrealistic. Hopefully cook is a lot more level headed in dealing with such issues.
    You are "glad he's dead"..... very sub human of you.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    jahblade wrote: »
    You are "glad he's dead"..... very sub human of you.

Do you really not know what he means by that statement?

Or are you offended over semantics?
  • Reply 87 of 109

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Do you really not know what he means by that statement?

Do you really think that any context or pretense for saying that is acceptable?

• Reply 88 of 109
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you really think that any context or pretense for saying that is acceptable?

Does it matter? Whether you want to accept it or not, members of this site will be "glad" when Andy Rubin is gone too.

It's the nature of fanboyism.

• Reply 89 of 109

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Does it matter? Whether you want to accept it or not, members of this site will be "glad" when Andy Rubin is gone too.

The difference is we don't have to accept anything we don't want to here. We don't accept spam, so it's expunged, you see.

• Reply 90 of 109
    shidell wrote: »
    If this goes anywhere, it'll end in a cross-licensing deal with no royalties paid either way--and that would be ultimately what a fan of iOS or Android would want.

Really? You mean the ultimate reward for a stolen product is... legitimacy through cross licensing deals? Why would a fan of iOS want that? (not that it's all being done for their benefit)
  • Reply 91 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »

Have you ever tried Bada? I for one have not but you seem to be sure it's a better alternative or at least a non infringing one. It doesn't look much different from Android.
  • Reply 92 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So what relevance does your post have to my response to the original post?

You seem to be attributing a strange power of things not existing based on how you think I feel about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

if you think Stock Android is somehow a rip-off of iOS despite the blatant differences then you'd definitely feel the same about Bada

• Reply 93 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Have you ever tried Bada? I for one have not but you seem to be sure it's a better alternative or at least a non infringing one. It doesn't look much different from Android.

I did not offer an opinion on whether it's better or non-infringing, I merely pointed out that alternatives exist and that, in spite of what the post I was replying to was saying, Samsung has options besides Android and Mobile Windows Windows Mobile Metro Tango Mango (whatever the f**k they want to call it).

• Reply 94 of 109
    shidell wrote: »

It's the nature of fanboyism.

That's an interesting assumption. I'm a member of this site and I certainly don't wish nor would I be glad that anyone at Google, Samsung, HTC, etc. we're dead.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    I do not agree with his wording but I don't think he's literally GLAD that Jobs is no longer alive. I would've worded it differently, but to act as if it's the end of the world is a bit ridiculous.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hopefully Apple won't license much away to Google.

Fandroids act as if they have a right to use Apple's patents and innovations on their phones and tablets. Guess what, they don't.

If it were up to me, fandroids and other Apple haters would still be using nokia, blackberrys and other ancient technologies.

That's a problem with any technologies. As companies are in it longer, they start to build up baggage. Right now Apple is likely feeling some sense of design restriction as they don't want to break apps. It happens. Anyway on the topic of cross licensing, assuming Apple needs access to something that belongs to Google, it has to be an equitable deal. It's likely that Google wants to include things in stock Android that would be close enough to some of Apple's broad patent interpretations. This means it's easier to have licensing in place and avoid leaving it as an unknown factor. If you look at many of Apple's claims, the ones I've seen have little to do with stock Android.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Really? You mean the ultimate reward for a stolen product is... legitimacy through cross licensing deals? Why would a fan of iOS want that? (not that it's all being done for their benefit)

Has it ever been proven as a stolen product? I'd like to know why you guys think Andy Rubin ended up on Apple's board apart from his past experience at Android. Whether or not you believe it, the official record is that he waited outside during meetings which would result in a potential conflict of interest.

• Reply 97 of 109
    Probably having sex, after all Cook is queer.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

If this goes anywhere, it'll end in a cross-licensing deal with no royalties paid either way--and that would be ultimately what a fan of iOS or Android would want.

Yea, right. Perhaps that was the deal Apple made with Microsoft. Google, however, mostly only owns standard essential patents that it has to license to Apple. As seen by the Samsung's lawsuit, Apple's patents are far more valuable. If this were to happen, Google would pay something. 

• Reply 99 of 109
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    More likely than all the silly fantasies proposed here, Tim probably just wants Google to ask OEMs to stop molding android into an iOS clone. Android itself is not a clone of iOS. Touchwiz.. maybe you have some argument there. After all, Google DID ask Samsung to divert from their me-too path of imitating Apple
  • Reply 100 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Reminds me of a quote from one of our ex-Prime Ministers, Paul Keating:-

Hewson: I ask the Prime Minister: if you are so confident about your view of Fightback, why will you not call an early election?

Keating: The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm out of this load of rubbish over a number of months. There will be no easy execution for you. You have perpetrated one of the great mischiefs on the Australian public with this thing, trying to rip away our social wage, trying to rip away the Australian values which we built in our society for over a century.

Haha, Keating did some great work ripping shreds off of opposing politicians. Alot of it is on youtube, too.