New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

Comments

• Reply 101 of 159

I must admit, as a relative new-comer to this site, the amount of information you guys know about iPhones is amazing.  I do not currently have an iPhone, so I thought it a convincing mock-up except for the article mentioning the model numbers already used in the 3GS.  However, I did not think this to be an actual iPhone, as I do believe Apple to have a better grasp on security than most here.  Some of you guys should be detectives or crime scene investigators by the level of detail with which you can scrutinize, but probably already have jobs that pay better.  I have read about the font style of the iProduct lettering on this site before, but I did not think to scrutinize to that detail.  One of the things I enjoy about this site is how all of these leaks get scrutinized.  It is much more interesting than the "my phone is better than your phone" back-and-forth regarding iOS vs. Android.  I enjoy a good debate, but those types often quickly degenerate into a name calling contest.

• Reply 102 of 159
    Please try to read in context. It helps a ton. The change was made to the iPhone 4S. Because the iPhone 4S. Has CDMA+GSM in one phone. The iPhone 4. Does not have this. And therefore the antenna was not changed. On the iPhone 4. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, the antenna on an iPhone 4 you buy today. Is identical to the antenna on an iPhone 4 on launch day. And yet the problem. went. away. After a few months. 

1 - You were the one who started posting out of context, because we were talking about the differences between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, so it I missed the "context", it was entirely your fault for not making it obvious.

2 - Even in the new context, the simple fact that people were purchasing cases to work around the problem qualifies as a hardware change, so beyond the fact that your context switch wasn't obvious, your assertion that the hardware didn't change doesn't even make sense.

3 - The problem did not go away, as I have demonstrated originally when I pointed out the class action lawsuit that was settled recently as well as the fact that Apple offered users a case to work around it.

You are truly embarrassing yourself at this point, continuing this argument is akin of beating children at this point. No matter what you say, you'll always be proven wrong because you have absolutely nk clue of what you are talking about.

Ah, so you're fine with making up completely unrelated crap talking about a completely different phone and pretending it's the same phone as the phone we're discussing.

Moot point, because as demonstrated above, I'm right either way.

Except those are the two solutions you have. There are no other solutions while continuing to use Apple's devices. Unless, of course, they DON'T drop analog in Dock Connector 2. There is nothing irrelevant about what I said.

Solutions are supposed to address problems. Avoiding those problems or simply accepting them isn't addressing them, and thus not a solution.

Could you possibly grow up, please?

Sorry dude, I'm 30, my maximum height has been reached, but I also enjoy trolling trolls (more on this below).

Or at least read what I'm writing? Again, I specifically addressed that.

No, you didn't. You made a claim that there were many HDMI recorders in the market and the only example you managed to come up with had no HDMI ports, you didn't address anything, you didn't fulfill your burden of proof. Show me an actual HDMI recorder or stop trolling!

Guess who, by his own admission, is also incapable of finding one, despite needing it?

The difference between us is that I know enough about the HDCP specification to know that such devices don't exist. I asked that question as a trap and in reply to your trolling about nobody having invented digital recorders in order to make it blatantly obvious for anyone else with a clue who may also be reading this forum that you're way in over your head, thus exposing you as a troll.

You'd think you'd either be looking for this sort of thing or looking for a new phone ecosystem. I don't get what your problem is: analog stuff has been receiving hate mail from the grim reaper for about a decade now. Now he has finally got around to your house on his route and is ringing your doorbell and you're not even pretending you're not home, no sirree, you're yelling at him that pretending you're not at home isn't an option AND giving up to him isn't an option. He's laughing.

At this point, I would actually be surprised if you actually knew what the problem is...
  • Reply 103 of 159

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

2 - Even in the new context, the simple fact that people were purchasing cases to work around the problem qualifies as a hardware change…

Nope. Please try again with a source that has taken apart an iPhone 4 from launch and an iPhone 4 from after you claim the antenna "problem" was fixed and which shows a difference therein.

3 - The problem did not go away…

Is that why we hear absolutely nothing about it anymore from the iPhone 4 users who don't use cases?

No matter what you say, you'll always be proven wrong because you have absolutely nk clue of what you are talking about.

Yes, you will.

Solutions are supposed to address problems.

Option 1: Keep a device with analog out. (an option I gave)

Option 2: Buy new secondary hardware that does not require analog support. (an option I gave)

Option 3: Use magic to make analog devices work with purely digital devices.

Indeed. And when you won't settle for anything but option 3, there's not much more to be said.

No, you didn't. You made a claim that there were many HDMI recorders in the market and the only example you managed to come up with had no HDMI ports, you didn't address anything, you didn't fulfill your burden of proof. Show me an actual HDMI recorder or stop trolling!

Sure thing, buddy. 

The difference between us is that I know enough about the HDCP specification to know that such devices don't exist. I asked that question as a trap and in reply to your trolling about nobody having invented digital recorders in order to make it blatantly obvious for anyone else with a clue who may also be reading this forum that you're way in over your head, thus exposing you as a troll.

I suppose you're going to pretend that HDCP can't be stripped or bypassed, huh. Or, better yet, can't just be dealt with by the recorder itself. Step two, now, is you telling me why those don't work, and then I go back and find even more until we find what you need.

Or, and I'll keep saying it until you either give up or agree, you can just keep your old hardware since you seem unwilling to even do the simplest imaginable search engine query about this topic. 

Does the iPhone really force HDCP for AirPlay and HDMI system-wide video out? Wouldn't it just block the Videos app from playing like OS X does if there's a problem with licensing?

• Reply 104 of 159
    The iPhone 5 came out last year. It was called the iPhone 4S.

iPhone = iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
    iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
    iPhone 4 = iPhone 4 (Oh the irony!)
    iPhone 4S = iPhone 5

The next iPhone will be the iPhone 6. It is the sixth iPhone running iOS 6! It doesn't even make sense to refer to it as iPhone five because, as the OS name implies, it's the sixth version of the iPhone! I used to hope they would call it just iPhone. Like iMac. Like MacBook Pro. Like (finally) iPad.

But now I hope they call it the iPhone 6 so everyone would just STFU!
  • Reply 105 of 159

I hope it's just "iPhone". Within MINUTES, every website will renounce the old name. It'll be just like 2008.

• Reply 106 of 159
    I hope it's just "iPhone". Within MINUTES, every website will renounce the old name. It'll be just like 2008.

Are you kidding? Haha. You're right! Even better, every site will claim they never called it the iPhone five ever! Except Gizmodo, they'll accuse Apple of hiding the new phone from the public and releasing the wrong phone with a different name for some insane reason. Like mind control or something.
  • Reply 107 of 159
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

I thought only Fandroids were obsessed with specs?

• Reply 108 of 159

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I thought only Fandroids were obsessed with specs?

They're obsessed with clock speeds, amounts, and sizes. Note that I just said everything was improved. "Improved" is something the everyman can understand. The fact that a 1.8GHz Ivy Bridge is leagues faster than a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 is not, particularly with no thanks to Intel.

• Reply 109 of 159
    Nope. Please try again with a source that has taken apart an iPhone 4 from launch and an iPhone 4 from after you claim the antenna "problem" was fixed and which shows a difference therein.

Where did I claim the antenna problems were fixed in the iPhone 4? I was very specific when I stated that the iPhone 4S fixed the antenna gate issue when I commented on the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S, so you made this up...

Is that why we hear absolutely nothing about it anymore from the iPhone 4 users who don't use cases?

No, that's because they have no reason to complain anymore as they can either get a free case to work around the problem or upgrade to the iPhone 4S, where the problem was properly addressed...

Your burden of proof is now fulfilled, I accept defeat regarding the inexistence of HDMI recorders here. While this device in particular only records standard-definition video and doesn't support HDCP, it does address the problem, so I won't be picky.
  • Reply 110 of 159

Where did I claim the antenna problems were fixed in the iPhone 4? I was very specific when I stated that the iPhone 4S fixed the antenna gate issue when I commented on the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S, so you made this up...

OH! Okay, so your point just didn't matter, because there wasn't a problem to begin with. Sorry for the confusion.

No, that's because they have no reason to complain anymore as they can either get a free case to work around the problem or upgrade to the iPhone 4S, where the problem was properly addressed...

No, it's because there was no problem with the hardware. 

While this device in particular only records standard-definition video and doesn't support HDCP, it does address the problem, so I won't be picky.

What about the second link? It said it supported HDCP, but perhaps it wasn't the right sort of thing for recording… 

• Reply 111 of 159
    OH! Okay, so your point just didn't matter, because there wasn't a problem to begin with. Sorry for the confusion.

How exactly did you reach the conclusion that it didn't happen even after all the evidence that I provided on post #78 (which you never addressed)?

No, it's because there was no problem with the hardware.

You have burden of proof since post #78, so prove that it didn't happen!

What about the second link? It said it supported HDCP, but perhaps it wasn't the right sort of thing for recording… 

You can't record and export with HDCP support, not legally at least. Even if someone implements a device that records HDCP using the leaked master key, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • Reply 112 of 159

How exactly did you reach the conclusion that it didn't happen even after all the evidence that I provided on post #78 (which you never addressed)?

You realize I get the reports, right? I don't see how what you posted is evidence of a problem with the hardware, and a problem unlike that which other phones have. Since the software update that fixed the way bars were being portrayed, the complaints have gone away. Use a bare iPhone 4, use a cased one. Same thing. 

• Reply 113 of 159
    You realize I get the reports, right?

Hopefully someone else with the power to revoke your privileges does, too, and if they don't, I'll make sure to escalate the issue through other means.

I don't see how what you posted is evidence of a problem with the hardware, and a problem unlike that which other phones have. Since the software update that fixed the way bars were being portrayed, the complaints have gone away. Use a bare iPhone 4, use a cased one. Same thing. 

You don't see how news articles stating that holding the iPhone in a certain way causes problems that other phones don't have constitutes evidence of the problem? You don't see how Apple themselves admitting twice (first in 2010 and then this year with the settlement) is evidence of an existing problem? You don't see how Apple taking steps to specifically address the problem you claim not existing in the following iPhone implementation is a demonstration of admission to the existence of that problem? If none of those things constitute evidence to you, then could you please point out exactly what would be acceptable to you as evidence that the iPhone 4 has an antenna problem so that I can provide suitable evidence? Did you even read any of the articles that I linked to?
  • Reply 114 of 159

[questions]

Did you see that I asked you if you could provide evidence of a hardware change? Did you find any evidence of a hardware change? Do you have any proof that the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased on launch day is any different from the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased today? Do you notice there are no longer any complaints about the antenna of the iPhone 4? Do you think that the lack of said change plus the lack of complaints about the antenna might mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the hardware in the first place?

Innocent men can go to jail, you know. 

• Reply 115 of 159
    Did you see that I asked you if you could provide evidence of a hardware change?

Yes.

Did you find any evidence of a hardware change?

Yes,

Do you have any proof that the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased on launch day is any different from the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased today?

No, and I fail to see the relevance of this question. What would that prove, exactly?

Do you notice there are no longer any complaints about the antenna of the iPhone 4?

No, I've never agreed with that, you made that up! Even if you could somehow prove that people are no longer complaining, this would still accomplish nothing since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Do you think that the lack of said change plus the lack of complaints about the antenna might mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the hardware in the first place?

There were hardware changes, a free case was offered, that's hardware.

Innocent men can go to jail, you know.

Except Apple has essentially pleaded guilty by settling the class action lawsuit...
  • Reply 116 of 159

Yes,

All right, link? (that's the second yes)

No, and I fail to see the relevance of this question. What would that prove, exactly?

That Apple changed the hardware. From the existence of a change and the timing thereof, we can infer reasons.

No, I've never agreed with that, you made that up!

Okay, so prove that wrong. Or state what needs to be said instead of this.

There were hardware changes, a free case was offered, that's hardware.

Nope. Please try again. That's nowhere near a valid statement.

Except Apple has essentially pleaded guilty by settling the class action lawsuit...

Sounds more like shutting up the <1% of users who were complaining about this and not wasting their time and money in a drawn-out lawsuit with the ~0.5% of users that brought it up. It was shut up and go away money, not an admission of guilt. With no hardware changed, the problem would have never actually been fixed and the tens of millions of purchasers outside the 'free case' date would be experiencing this problem. They're not. And not because they all bought cases, because that's a silly thing to assume.

• Reply 117 of 159
    All right, link? (that's the second yes)

We're looping, all the information you need is on post #78, which I have mentioned multiple times. Read the links provided there. One talks about the changes made to the antenna between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S to address this issue in particular whereas the other two talk about the free cases that Apple offered to work around the antenna gate issues.

That Apple changed the hardware. From the existence of a change and the timing thereof, we can infer reasons.

While that is true, inferring lack of reason when a change under your conditions is not present is not logical, so this question doesn't help your case in any way and thus makes no sense.

Okay, so prove that wrong. Or state what needs to be said instead of this.

I don't need to prove you wrong, you're the one making and unfounded claim! The burden of proof is on your side!

Nope. Please try again. That's nowhere near a valid statement.

Why not?

Sounds more like shutting up the <1% of users who were complaining about this and not wasting their time and money in a drawn-out lawsuit with the ~0.5% of users that brought it up. It was shut up and go away money, not an admission of guilt. With no hardware changed, the problem would have never actually been fixed and the tens of millions of purchasers outside the 'free case' date would be experiencing this problem. They're not. And not because they all bought cases, because that's a silly thing to assume.

Funny theory, except it's full of flaws:

1 - You somehow assume that most of the people who bought an iPhone 4 in 2010 are still using it;
    2 - You somehow assume that most of the people who own an iPhone 4 haven't taken advantage of the free case offer or bought one themselves;
    3 - You somehow assume that people aren't complaining anymore;
    4 - You made illogical conclusion that absence of complaints means absence of issues;
    5 - You claim there was no hardware change while completely ignoring the free case workaround.
  • Reply 118 of 159
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I had the "death grip" problem with my launch day iPhone 4, and the problem still persists. I prefer to use my phones without a case, and I couldn't use my iPhone 4 without a case because the signal would degrade too much (I never had the problem with my 3GS). And the natural way that I held it in my hand when operating the phone normally (web, email, etc.) also caused the bars to drop all the way.

The only way to fix the problem was to use a case -- that solved the problem completely. When I got my iPhone 4S, I gave my wife my iPhone 4. She still has to use it with a case because of signal degradation. My iPhone 4S, however, doesn't have the signal problem at all.

• Reply 119 of 159

One talks about the changes made to the antenna between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S to address this issue

This is irrelevant. This is not what we're discussing.

I don't need to prove you wrong, you're the one making and unfounded claim! The burden of proof is on your side!

Okay. Go to a store. Pick up an AT&T iPhone 4. Squeeze it.

Why not?

Because it seems you've no interest in making any sort of sense. Buying a laptop stand does not changing the hardware make.

• Reply 120 of 159
    Okay. Go to a store. Pick up an AT&T iPhone 4. Squeeze it.

I don't think you understand burden of proof. The burden of actually buying the phone and demonstrating that to the audience is yours, not mine. Want my PO Box address to mail a GSM iPhone 4 to?

Because it seems you've no interest in making any sort of sense. Buying a laptop stand does not changing the hardware make.

The change doesn't have to be in the phone, that was an illogical assumption on your behalf. Adding a case changes the conditions in which the phone operates thus working around the problem. Furthermore, analogies are fallacious in natured due to inferring from the particular to the particular, so refrain from using them again in arguments with me. Not that any of this matters, I have proven beyond reason that there are issues with the iPhone 4's antenna gate, you are yet to contest any of the evidence that I have provided so far, so answer all the questions that I asked earlier objectively!