New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

• Reply 62 of 159

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.

So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

• Reply 63 of 159
    <em>AppleInsider</em> also analyzed a high-quality version of the video and discovered further reasons to doubt the device is an authentic iPhone 5. .

Of course it's not authentic.

Some random case maker wouldn't have a real iPhone whatever it gets called at this point.
  • Reply 64 of 159
    I'm pretty sure this is a hardware kitbash, and not an actual next-gen iPhone smuggled out of Cupertino.

You mean Foxconn.

Unless we are supposed to believe that some Apple test engineer has a craving for authentic German sauerkraut and left it in a bar in Berlin
  • Reply 65 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

Don't forget a mostly metal back which we haven't seen since the original iPhone in 2007. It's also anodized, an aesthetic element we've never seen on an iPhone. Yep, completely the same except for being the most significant YoY change we've ever seen for the iPhone.
  • Reply 66 of 159
    Double down security team... Fired

Until the new iPhone is released and is exactly like the 4s shape and we have rumors that Apple started all this so folks wouldn't go looking for real info
  • Reply 67 of 159
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

If this stuff ends up being real, then it'll make Time Cook's line about doubling down on secrecy look pretty empty. I've never seen so many parts of upcoming products.

• Reply 68 of 159

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If this stuff ends up being real, then it'll make Time Cook's line about doubling down on secrecy look pretty empty. I've never seen so many parts of upcoming products.

STOP. SAYING. THIS. STUFF.

I think this might bother me more than "iPhone 5"… image At least everyone will shut up about that when the device comes out.

• Reply 69 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ronbo wrote: »

No it won't.
  • Reply 70 of 159
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.

WTF? You're complaining that having basically everything change *isn't* enough for you, but at the same time changing the dock connector is too much???????

• Reply 71 of 159
    ronbo wrote: »
    vaelian wrote: »
    WTF? You're complaining that having basically everything change *isn't* enough for you, but at the same time changing the dock connector is too much???????

The 4S brought Siri, fixed the antenna gate problems, improved the main camera, CPU and GPU, and added support for the digital AV adapter, all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4, and the same goes to the third-generation iPad.

Thing is, at this point I'm not feeling the need for even more performance on the phone, though improved battery life would be appreciated; there is nothing exciting about iOS 6 nor is there anything exclusive that would make me want the new iPhone; I find LTE to be extremely overrated considering that I still disable 3G to conserve battery life sometimes; I don't see much of a point to a taller screen, but a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated; I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to stream analog audio and video as well as to connect an RS-232 to the phone due to the new connector, and I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless; and finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver (these usually come bundled with BT parts, so there really is no reason for the iPhone not to have one) or support more BT profiles that even featurephones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).
  • Reply 72 of 159

The 4S brought Siri…

Which is software, not hardware, and not dependent on said hardware.

…fixed the antenna gate problems… 

Probably because there wasn't one to begin with.

…all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4…

Tech changes. These things happen. You have to get used to it. Eventually you'll be buying an iDevice with Dock Connector 2, which means you'll have to buy new stuff or a $10 adapter.

…there is nothing exciting about iOS 6 nor is there anything exclusive that would make me want the new iPhone…

Then, as I said, wait the full two years of the normal upgrade period.

…a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated…

It can now.

I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to… …connect an RS-232 to the phone… 

????

…I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless…

$10 adapter or buy new, better stuff when you can afford it.

…finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver… 

It's a cell phone. Was there a single cell phone before the iPhone that had one? Is there a single cell phone after the iPhone that has?

…support more BT profiles that even feature phones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).

I've always wondered myself about Apple's reticence to expand Bluetooth connectivity. Maybe they just figure it's not good tech. 

• Reply 73 of 159
    vaelian wrote: »
    The 4S brought Siri…

Which is software, not hardware, and not dependent on said hardware.

Actually it did involve sound filtering hardware.

…fixed the antenna gate problems… 

Probably because there wasn't one to begin with.

Apple disagrees with you; they offered a full refund to anyone affected by the problem, and the iPhone 4S has a different double-antenna design (with the secondary antenna extending downwards) specifically to address the "you're holding it wrong" problem.

…all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4…
    Tech changes. These things happen. You have to get used to it. Eventually you'll be buying an iDevice with Dock Connector 2, which means you'll have to buy new stuff or a $10 adapter.

I'm not denying that, merely stating that, at this point, I don't see how the benefits outweight the drawbacks.

…a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated…

It can now.

Here on earth, I can't read anything off the phone in plain sunlight, I always need to find shade to read anything, which is annoying and could easily be fixed. Oh and before you start commenting on my sight, remember that it's the phone that is supposed to adapt to the user, not the other way around, so don't even start!

I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to… …connect an RS-232 to the phone… 
    [SIZE=72px]????[/SIZE]
    …I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless…

$10 adapter or buy new, better stuff when you can afford it.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the adapter will have all the functionality, and considering the number of conductors in the new dock connector I'd say the chances of that happening are actually pretty low, especially if you also take into account the fact that, despite having 30pins, the current connector is actually pretty stuffed and you need to provide specific voltages in certain pins in order to enable / disable certain functionality because even the 30 pins aren't enough for everything at the same time.

…finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver… 

It's a cell phone. Was there a single cell phone before the iPhone that had one? Is there a single cell phone after the iPhone that has?

Plenty! All current featurephones have FM transceivers, because as I mentioned, they tend to come bundled with the BT chips. The Nokia N95 that I had before the original iPhone launched already had such functionality, it was a pretty standard smartphone feature at the time.

…support more BT profiles that even feature phones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).

I've always wondered myself about Apple's reticence to expand Bluetooth connectivity. Maybe they just figure it's not good tech. 

Or maybe they want to lock you into their ecosystem.
  • Reply 74 of 159

I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.

• Reply 75 of 159

• Reply 76 of 159

Actually it did involve sound filtering hardware.

But it works identically on the iPhone 4.

Apple disagrees with you; they offered a full refund to anyone affected by the problem, and the iPhone 4S has a different double-antenna design (with the secondary antenna extending downwards) specifically to address the "you're holding it wrong" problem.

Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM. 

I'm not denying that, merely stating that, at this point, I don't see how the benefits outweight the drawbacks.

It's entirely new hardware in a brand new case with a larger screen, better physical port, potentially better cameras, further software upgradability, and even more as yet unknown hardware. That doesn't outweigh having to buy a $10 adapter? Or waiting a few months for new accessories to be made? This is a holiday quarter. If you think that the accessory makers aren't going to bang out Dock Connector 2-based accessories faster than you can make a post on here complaining about how Apple dropped analog support, you have another thing coming. image

Here on earth, I can't read anything off the phone in plain sunlight, I always need to find shade to read anything, which is annoying and could easily be fixed. 

Sorry, I'm apparently standing at the foothills of Pompeii during its eruption.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the adapter will have all the functionality, and considering the number of conductors in the new dock connector I'd say the chances of that happening are actually pretty low, especially if you also take into account the fact that, despite having 30pins, the current connector is actually pretty stuffed and you need to provide specific voltages in certain pins in order to enable / disable certain functionality because even the 30 pins aren't enough for everything at the same time.

Right. And so, as with all technologies, you'll eventually have to give up your legacy stuff if you ever expect to have modern devices.

Or maybe they want to lock you into their ecosystem.

Heaven forbid.

The iPod nano has probably the best FM radio of any device. Rewinding and saving the song name for later purchase shouldn't have taken this long for someone to come up with.

Originally Posted by Liski View Post

We already know it doesn't.

• Reply 77 of 159
    But it works identically on the iPhone 4.

Not in noisy environments.

Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM. 

Here's a class action settlement, and here's Apple admitting the problem. I was wrong about the full refund, though, Jobs promised a free case or a refund to anyone who had already bought a case to work around the antenna gate issues. This happened, you can not deny it.

It's entirely new hardware in a brand new case with a larger screen, better physical port, potentially better cameras, further software upgradability, and even more as yet unknown hardware. That doesn't outweigh having to buy a $10 adapter? Or waiting a few months for new accessories to be made? This is a holiday quarter. If you think that the accessory makers aren't going to bang out Dock Connector 2-based accessories faster than you can make a post on here complaining about how Apple dropped analog support, you have another thing coming. :lol:

You're already losing track of the argument. The problem is not the adapter, the problem is that a lot of the functionality provided by the 30pin dock connector will most likely not be available even with an adapter.

Right. And so, as with all technologies, you'll eventually have to give up your legacy stuff if you ever expect to have modern devices.

Except there are no replacements for the legacy stuff, so assuming the new dock connector does not provide these features, it's essentially a downgrade. Right now I can easily record from the analog A/V output; if that output is lost, recording will be pretty much impossible. Same goes for the RS-232, there is no easy replacement for it, USB is too overkill for everything RS-232 is used as it requires software.
  • Reply 78 of 159

Not in noisy environments.

Neither does Siri on the 4S!

Here's a class action settlement, and here's Apple admitting the problem. This happened, you can not deny it.

Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.

You're already losing track of the argument. The problem is not the adapter, the problem is that a lot of the functionality provided by the 30pin dock connector will most likely not be available even with an adapter.

No, I specifically mentioned that.

Except there are no replacements for the legacy stuff, so assuming the new dock connector does not provide these features, it's essentially a downgrade.

If you want to hook up your iPhone to your record player, that's fine. Keep an old iPhone around to do that.

Right now I can easily record from the analog A/V output; if that output is lost, recording will be pretty much impossible.

I forgot that digital recorders haven't been invented yet.

• Reply 79 of 159
    Neither does Siri on the 4S!

Actually, it does. I can use Siri perfectly in malls and even in the metro without issues, despite the noise, and under conditions where I would have trouble understanding what people are saying.

Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.

Changes were made, an extra smaller antenna was added. You've already agreed with this before, I see no reason other than trolling for you to be making this claim now after having been proven wrong.

No, I specifically mentioned that.

Then your point was moot.

If you want to hook up your iPhone to your record player, that's fine. Keep an old iPhone around to do that.

No, I want to hook it up to my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid in order to record A/V output from my own apps, which would include recording A/V output from an iPhone with a taller screen.

I forgot that digital recorders haven't been invented yet.

Where can I find a digital recorder for HDMI?
  • Reply 80 of 159

Changes were made, an extra smaller antenna was added. You've already agreed with this before, I see no reason other than trolling for you to be making this claim now after having been proven wrong.

I am not trolling. I did not agree with that. Do you have a source for the "extra antenna" and other changes?

Then your point was moot.

I don't get it. You raised a concern about compatibility. I offered up two solutions for this problem. You call that moot. How?

No, I want to hook it up to my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid in order to record A/V output from my own apps, which would include recording A/V output from an iPhone with a taller screen. Where can I find a digital recorder for HDMI?

Ooh, sounds neat. So something like this, but with HDMI? The page says HDMI, but the images don't show it. And it's not out yet, despite last month having come and gone. It looks like the simplest and cleanest solution, but absolutely there are HDMI capture devices and have been for a long time.