Video claims to show revamped Apple in-ear headphones bound for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    If we will see new headphones, noice reduction/cancellation would be great ;-)
  • Reply 22 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Early next year Samsung will be using an eerily similar looking pair of headphones... but it was obvious¡ /s

I'm looking at these things, scratching my head and trying to figure out how they work. Either mine are weirdly shaped or they don't make ears today like they used to.

They are odd looking. I guess that flat, open side is the bass and it's placed in an anterior position just inside the tragus.

They do look real and I do assume that Apple has improved the sound and feel. They certainly couldn't have made the feel any worse. I use in-ear phones as Apple's buds are painful to use. I'd rather be water boarded than have to wear ear buds.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    The font for "R" and "L" is unlike any Apple has used so far, but Apple is known for completely reinventing things we take for granted.

Add the lack of a remote, much less a mic and the photo of the cord branding looks totally shopped and I'm calling fake

Which is to say that yes Apple could be revamping their earbuds. But I don't think these folks have a apir
  • Reply 24 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Add the lack of a remote, much less a mic and the photo of the cord branding looks totally shopped and I'm calling fake
    Which is to say that yes Apple could be revamping their earbuds. But I don't think these folks have a apir

The font looks the same to me. As for the lack of the mic, remember that the iPods get a refresh this time of year, too.

• Reply 25 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Dr Dre has the best ear buds for an iPhone or iPod.

Oh really? Than what about Shure's SE535? In terms of IEM, I haven't found any sounding better than SE535. 

And Apple should revamp their conventional ear buds. Although their $79 in-ear offering is pretty decent for now. 

• Reply 26 of 79

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

However, if they turn out to be the real deal(Apple earbuds) I ain't buying them.

THEY NEVER STAY IN MY FREAKING EAR!!!!

So these earbuds, which you've never used in your ears and don't even know are real, will never be purchased by you because other earbuds, with a different shape and form, don't work.

Okay.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Take 1 minute to look at your current buds.

…59… 60. My letters are narrower. Maybe it's the curve…

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Maybe these are the ones for regular iPods. Doesn't the classic still ship with… OH GOSH THEY'RE KEEPING THE CLASSIC AROUND STILL?! image

• Reply 27 of 79
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Kind of look like these, lending some credibility

(Now, will Bose sue them?)

Keeping my hopes down though, last time there were rumours some non-shit headphones would be included, turned out they were sold separately for 100 dollars. 
  • Reply 28 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Dr Dre has the best ear buds for an iPhone or iPod.

LOL Good one. If you are 12 years old, that might be a semi-valid statement.

• Reply 29 of 79
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I think these are real. I remember an article posted here or some other blog about Apple working on the problem of encasing the entire headbuds and making it one unit. It looks like they finally solved that problem.

That and the fact that the video has been made private probably from Apple lawyers forcing the poster to take down the video.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    tipoo wrote: »
    Kind of look like these, lending some credibility

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2010/1004/learbuds_bose.jpg
    (Now, will Bose sue them?)

Keeping my hopes down though, last time there were rumours some non-shit headphones would be included, turned out they were sold separately for 100 dollars. 

I'm not seeing how they similar. The flat opening for the Bose point directly into your external auditory meatus whilst these rumoured headphones appear to have the flat opening press against the anterior wall of your EAM just to the inside of your tragus, which I don't quite understand when considering what I know about acoustics and comfort.
  • Reply 31 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I'm looking at these things, scratching my head and trying to figure out how they work. Either mine are weirdly shaped or they don't make ears today like they used to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The face of the bud with the letter on it goes into your ear in the same way that the flat, open, speakery face of the current do. The tiny speaker grill there feeds sound in the old way and the front-facing one bounces it through your ear another way.

I'm sure they'll explain how it's better. That is, if these are even real and make any sense at all. I would have assumed the opposite facing way to be true… 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Please oh please tell me that's a joke and you forgot to add /s at the end of the sentence.

About the earbud itself, I can only say: congratulations. Before tossing out my earbuds to the trash, I played around with their positioning and figured out what the Apple engineers have with these: the "sound hole" simply isn't positioned to properly direct the sound, and there is little seal between the ear and the earbud. With this, they'll improve bass response, as the sound source will more easily stay as close to the ear tube as possible, making it closer to the seal of a In-Ear. They also look nice.

I am aware that IEMs have been doing this for quite some time: my GR07s are also edge-firing. But this is the first edge-firing earbud I've seen.

Like DP, I am wondering more how they fit into ears than how the sound travels.

• Reply 32 of 79

I'm quite happy with these ones:

These aren't the standard earbuds though. These are sold separately. I assume the ones in the article are purported to be the "new" standard ones, that come with iPhones, etc. 

• Reply 33 of 79

Lot of people bashing this comment...I wonder if any of you have even tried Dre's headphones?

If not, you should. They are actually amazing headphones. And next time, do some research before you just pop off some ignorant response because a "rapper" invented them. Dre is a producer. 

• Reply 34 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I use in-ear phones as Apple's buds are painful to use. I'd rather be water boarded than have to wear ear buds.

When I get a new device with Apple ear buds, I just hand them to my daughter. I can't use the Apple ear buds at all.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hari5 wrote: »
    Oh really? Than what about Shure's SE535? In terms of IEM, I haven't found any sounding better than SE535. 

And Apple should revamp their conventional ear buds. Although their $79 in-ear offering is pretty decent for now. 

I like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQSGMM?ie=UTF8&tag=custombuildit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000BQSGMM

I'm not real anal about the sound - background noise suppression is far more important to me and the Etymotic ones do that very well.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    The best cord length: Apple's in-ear phones (probably the same as their buds but I wouldn't know).
    The best sound: Shure.
    The best comfort: Klipsch.

jragosta wrote: »
    When I get a new device with Apple ear buds, I just hand them to my daughter. I can't use the Apple ear buds at all.

My first thought: What could she have done that was so bad that you'd make her use those. :D
  • Reply 37 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not seeing how they similar. The flat opening for the Bose point directly into your external auditory meatus whilst these rumoured headphones appear to have the flat opening press against the anterior wall of your EAM just to the inside of your tragus, which I don't quite understand when considering what I know about acoustics and comfort.

Apple's new earbuds will work just like a stethoscope, with the sound directed slightly anterior. The ear canal is not directly perpendicular to the skull.

• Reply 38 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Please oh please tell me that's a joke and you forgot to add /s at the end of the sentence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Fail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Right, and Samsung is company which invents everything by itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

LOL Good one. If you are 12 years old, that might be a semi-valid statement.

Wow, such uber-cool guys. How about laying off the sarcasm and telling folks what you think is better for the price? Or, are you scared that yours might be called out too, given how subjective people's sound preferences are?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

That is actually useful information. Thanks! :-)

• Reply 39 of 79

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, such uber-cool guys. How about laying off the sarcasm and telling folks what you think is better for the price? Or, are you scared that yours might be called out too, given how subjective people's sound preferences are?

I think their complaint comes from the overemphasis Dre's line of headphones puts on bass and bass alone.

And through my own biases, you can see where the "over-" prefix originates.

• Reply 40 of 79

Such elitism here. While the Apple earbuds don't fit the shape of my ear well and tend to fall off (although, if I put on one of little 3rd-party slip-on thingies you can easily buy, they tend to stay better in my ears), I think they're decent. At least as good as the ones that I pay $10 - $20 for.

Most people just get new ones to fit their sound/budget/style preferences anyway, so it doesn't matter much.