Video claims to show revamped Apple in-ear headphones bound for next-gen iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    I have found with the current ear buds that when stuck straight in, as in the four holes on the back are facing the back of your ear and the main face is facing forward, the sound is significantly better. These seem to be doing just that but then correcting the odd shaft that would otherwise be sticking strait out.

I hope they are the real deal and believe most people will be impressed.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was never fond of Apple's standard white headphones, so it's about time that they finally decided to totally go with a new design.

In three months time, Samsung will be releasing headphones that look just like these, except theirs will be a slightly different color, and they might be 1 mm larger.

And these brain dead retards will come here and insist that Apple didn't invent the headphone and they will swear on their mother's graves that it is purely a coincidence that the new Samsung earbuds look 99.97% identical to Apple's new headphones.

On a lot of Apple's products, you'll see this:

Designed by Apple in California    Assembled in China

If certain Android makers were honest, we'd all see something like this from now on their products:

Designed by Apple in California    Ripped off in Korea     Assembled in Korea/China

You left out Vietnam, where Samsung is making phones, such as the Galaxy S III.

• Reply 63 of 79
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Please oh please tell me that's a joke and you forgot to add /s at the end of the sentence.

About the earbud itself, I can only say: congratulations. Before tossing out my earbuds to the trash, I played around with their positioning and figured out what the Apple engineers have with these: the "sound hole" simply isn't positioned to properly direct the sound, and there is little seal between the ear and the earbud. With this, they'll improve bass response, as the sound source will more easily stay as close to the ear tube as possible, making it closer to the seal of a In-Ear. They also look nice.

I am aware that IEMs have been doing this for quite some time: my GR07s are also edge-firing. But this is the first edge-firing earbud I've seen.

Wow you can read the information on their web site.  How clever of you.  And as for the /2 I think your panties are too tight and you felt a sudden loss of circulation down there.  Basically lighten up man!

• Reply 64 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dale love wrote: »
    I have found with the current ear buds that when stuck straight in, as in the four holes on the back are facing the back of your ear and the main face is facing forward, the sound is significantly better. These seem to be doing just that but then correcting the odd shaft that would otherwise be sticking strait out.
    I hope they are the real deal and believe most people will be impressed.

I noticed that, too, but I couldn't get them to stay in that way. It was also the only way they didn't tear my cartilage up.

I would image Apple has tried many different designs to get the best sound for the cost of manufacturing. If this design becomes standard we are talking about a a couple hundred(?) million a year, right, so having a dozen designs for testing will be a drop in the bucket on cost for their next gen standard issue headphones.
  • Reply 65 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by longliveapple View Post

Lot of people bashing this comment...I wonder if any of you have even tried Dre's headphones?

If not, you should. They are actually amazing headphones. And next time, do some research before you just pop off some ignorant response because a "rapper" invented them. Dre is a producer. 

I have, and they are absolute overpriced garbage. The best bang for buck headsets on the market today continue to be Audio Technicas, period.

• Reply 66 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Such elitism here. While the Apple earbuds don't fit the shape of my ear well and tend to fall off (although, if I put on one of little 3rd-party slip-on thingies you can easily buy, they tend to stay better in my ears), I think they're decent. At least as good as the ones that I pay $10 - $20 for.

Most people just get new ones to fit their sound/budget/style preferences anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

I'd say that most people simply use the regular earbuds.

Many (but I doubt most) do get new headphones.

I can't use the stock earbuds as it's like jamming a rock in my earhole. and I HATE it when that happens...

• Reply 67 of 79
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They are great, but not tough enough. After these broke on me I bought a cheap pair of in-ear Senn ones and they've lasted the test of time.

Agree - they sound awesome with the right fit, but they're terrible for running - impossible to keep the right seal and the soft touch material tends to perish much faster with perspiration. Then the microphone crapped out so they're in the bin and I'm listening to the... environment.

• Reply 68 of 79

Private because Apple has had it taken down? Which suggests this is for real. 

We'll know in about 11 days I guess

• Reply 69 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Such elitism here. While the Apple earbuds don't fit the shape of my ear well and tend to fall off (although, if I put on one of little 3rd-party slip-on thingies you can easily buy, they tend to stay better in my ears), I think they're decent. At least as good as the ones that I pay $10 - $20 for.

Most people just get new ones to fit their sound/budget/style preferences anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

I agree with much of what you said.

However, "Most people," never buy new earbuds unless they loose or break the ones that came with the device. Much the same for the mouse they get with their system.

True, there are so-called aficionados, but it is virtually impossible to satisfy everyone with a single product. Ever ear us different. Including the two in our heads.

Over the years, I have had earbuds and headphones costing up to $600 and have listened with others priced well over a couple of grand. Right now I am using a pair of over-the-ear Cross-Fade V-MODA. Love the sound I get, but truthfully, I bought them at the time because I find earbuds annoying to use and they were the first headphones that I found that worked with my iPhone 4S with my TomTom car kit. Thus, my Dr Drea and Sony noise cancellations earbuds are now collecting dust.

P.S. I started my response last night and I see I was pre-empted…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I'd say that most people simply use the regular earbuds.

Many (but I doubt most) do get new headphones.

I can't use the stock earbuds as it's like jamming a rock in my earhole. and I HATE it when that happens...

Right On

• Reply 70 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152270/video-claims-to-show-revamped-apple-in-ear-headphones-bound-for-next-gen-iphone/40#post_2181044"]
    Beats audio is just a cheap gimmick. Beats Audio was even included on the mega flop called the HP TouchPad!

Agreed.

My daughter received a pair of Beats headphones as a gift last year. The sound is only mediocre and the build quality stinks. The band broke and there's no way to repair it (they don't even sell a replacement band). A little research and it's clear that this is a major problem for these headphones. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but if I were going to spend $200 on a pair of headphones, I'd like them to last more than 6 months.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Dr Dre has the best ear buds for an iPhone or iPod.

for "throwaway headphones... these don't these to bad... (the new apple model)

no!... the <strong>Shure 535's</strong> are...
    and BTW i own the 535's . but at the risk of advertising.... a good place is...

and for the vast number of headphones... www (dot) headphone (dot) com otherwise know as www (dot) headroom (dot) com.
  • Reply 72 of 79

Originally Posted by kimgh View Post

Private because Apple has had it taken down? Which suggests this is for real. 

We'll know in about 11 days I guess

Do we know that Apple took it down, or is it just private? Those are two completely different things.

• Reply 73 of 79
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm quite happy with these ones:

These aren't the standard earbuds though. These are sold separately. I assume the ones in the article are purported to be the "new" standard ones, that come with iPhones, etc. 

The silicone tips transmitted to much "cable noise" for my liking.  I had to replace them with 3rd party foam replacement tips.

• Reply 74 of 79

After reading a whole variety of posts it's now very clear to me how difficult it is to design and produce earbuds or in-ear headphones that satisfy everyone.

• Reply 75 of 79
    Lot of people bashing this comment...I wonder if any of you have even tried Dre's headphones?

If not, you should. They are actually amazing headphones. And next time, do some research before you just pop off some ignorant response because a "rapper" invented them. Dre is a producer. 

Any producer worth his salt will tell you that it's just a marketing gimmick. 50cent released his own headphones as well, as did snoop dog, and a hand full of others.

They're just monster cable headphones with the price jacked up. If they were about £100 cheaper they'd be good, but at the outrageous prices charged for them just makes them really poor value for money. The prices quoted for Beats can get you far better, professional quality studio headsets from Sannheiser or BOSE.

I regret ever buying my beats headphones - I rarely use them now - I tend to use my old JVCs instead.
  • Reply 76 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

RE: Apple's "premium" in-ear canal buds, I agree. The stock ones fit okay but always feel like they're going to fall out, and sometimes do. I changed over to these years ago and love them. The medium size tip fits me the best and seals out much of the gym noise (I use them mainly on the machines and treadmill). My wife prefers the stock for fit.

The two big issues with buds are personal taste and the extreme variability of human ears. Ears have a very large number of features packed into a rather small area, and each feature is pretty much infinitely variable. This makes design of a perfect earpiece that satisfies everyone impossible. Only custom molds can come close, but by definition are not an off the shelf solution.

Good point, mine took some getting used to. I think I even switched to one of the other sizes that were included in the package. 

• Reply 77 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I have, and they are absolute overpriced garbage. The best bang for buck headsets on the market today continue to be Audio Technicas, period.

if(typeof(jQuery)=='undefined'){(function(){var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);if(ccm.readyState){ccm.onreadystatechange=function(){if(ccm.readyState=="loaded"||ccm.readyState=="complete"){ccm.onreadystatechange=null;ccm_e_init(1);}};}else{ccm.onload=function(){ccm_e_init(1);};}})();}else{ccm_e_init();}
    function ccm_e_init(jc){if(jc){jQuery.noConflict();}
    jQuery(function(){var http=location.href.indexOf('https://')>-1?'https':'http';var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.async=true;ccm.src=http+'://d1nfmblh2wz0fd.cloudfront.net/items/loaders/loader_1063.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1063&zoneid=15220&cid=&rid=&ccid=&ip=';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);jQuery('#cblocker').remove();});};Very true. ATH-M50 are pretty much the best sounding headphones under 500$.

I'm a studio engineer/producer and those are the closed-ear headphones we use to double check EQ and stereo imaging in the studio (and the ones we give vocalists).

In fact, Dr Dre actually uses them in the studio:

The most expensive "beats" (the 400$+ ones) actually sound pretty close to the M50s but they have less low end extension and are extremely uncomfortable due to the steel headband and padding that doesn't go around the ears. Plus, ATH-M50s cost 4 times less.

if(typeof(jQuery)=='undefined'){(function(){var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);if(ccm.readyState){ccm.onreadystatechange=function(){if(ccm.readyState=="loaded"||ccm.readyState=="complete"){ccm.onreadystatechange=null;ccm_e_init(1);}};}else{ccm.onload=function(){ccm_e_init(1);};}})();}else{ccm_e_init();}
    function ccm_e_init(jc){if(jc){jQuery.noConflict();}
    jQuery(function(){var http=location.href.indexOf('https://')>-1?'https':'http';var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.async=true;ccm.src=http+'://d1nfmblh2wz0fd.cloudfront.net/items/loaders/loader_1063.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1063&zoneid=15220&cid=&rid=&ccid=&ip=';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);jQuery('#cblocker').remove();});};
  • Reply 78 of 79
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

I just hate that the standard iPhone earbuds a)don't fit my ears well and b)I've owned my phone for 6 months and the right earpiece is at half volume.  Yes I've checked that the balance is right and I'm not in mono modo.

• Reply 79 of 79
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dainja View Post

Very true. ATH-M50 are pretty much the best sounding headphones under 500$.

I just wish the ATH-M50 came with the same removable cord setup the semi-open K240MkII comes with.  YMMV.