Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 181 of 253

Nokia really messed up yesterday when they released that fake.  However there is now a real video out of it in use:

Before anyone says 'it used a flash', all good cameras use a flash to focus. The picture itself is taken in the dark after the flash.

Shows what an F2.0 lens and hardware IS can do.

• Reply 182 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I got a Lumia 900 to replace my iPhone 4 because, and we all know this is true, Apple is getting complacent with the iPhone.

They aren't creating new and exciting technology anymore, they're just reacting to the competition:

• Apple said 7" screens were bad - the market for 7" screens explodes - Apple makes a 7" screen

• Market for large form factor phones explodes - Apple rush to make a larger screen

• NFC is becoming the big thing - Apple will include it sooner or later and call it magical

You realize that Jobs has been known to retract previous statements and/or just say things just to throw people off.

• Reply 183 of 253

…we all know this is true, Apple is getting complacent with the iPhone.

Except nope. Because it isn't.

They aren't creating new and exciting technology anymore…

Of course they are.

NFC is becoming the big thing - Apple will include it sooner or later and call it magical

Not even gonna quote the 7" screen bit, because it hasn't happened. But this? It's not becoming big at all. It will after Apple makes it big, and then you'll pretend it was big to begin with, but not right now.

I just find it hilarious that the new Lumia range is currently one of the most hyped phones right now.

What will the iPhone 5 give us?

Last years processor (A5X), same screen but slightly longer and a poor excuse for a wallet without NFC. The back might be made out of metal as well.

"Yeah, I'll mock and deride a phone I know absolutely nothing about! That'll get me believers."

The world has had a taste of what Samsung and Nokia are capable of…

Copying and second-besting?

P.S. I still think the Mac is the greatest line of computers currently available and the iPad is one of the best tablets on the market. Just thought I'd clear that up before someone claims I'm a trolling Apple hater.

Except they all specifically mention that, just like you have here, as though it means anything whatsoever.

• Reply 184 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

You realize that Jobs has been known to retract previous statements and/or just say things just to throw people off.

Or, better argument. He's no longer with us, no longer has influence over Apple, Apple want the money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Nokia really messed up yesterday when they released that fake.  However there is now a real video out of it in use:

Before anyone says 'it used a flash', all good cameras use a flash to focus. The picture itself is taken in the dark after the flash.

Shows what an F2.0 lens and hardware IS can do.

That, I think, is worthy of the Pureview branding. That picture in the video looked stunning.

• Reply 185 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course they are.

Not even gonna quote the 7" screen bit, because it hasn't happened. But this? It's not becoming big at all. It will after Apple makes it big, and then you'll pretend it was big to begin with, but not right now.

"Yeah, I'll mock and deride a phone I know absolutely nothing about! That'll get me believers."

Copying and second-besting?

Except they all specifically mention that, just like you have here, as though it means anything whatsoever.

Welp, nice to know people weren't lying about you. Someone has a different opinion (remember when you said opinions were good?) and you start trying to start a flame war. :)

You can't ignore it, Apple have not done anything noteworthy with the iPhone since the initial release of the iPhone 4. If they follow their usual routine then we will get an A5X, we've seen (right here on this site, actually) that passbook is not a wallet (just a glorified coupon book) and there is no wallet in beta builds of iOS 6, that does not bode well for NFC support. Stocks also do not govern the media coverage the devices are getting, and unless they do actually put some new technology inside the iPhone hardware, then I'll stick to my original notion of Apple is not making any new and exciting technology - just last years shit in a different dress.

I want to be proven wrong, but its very hard to ignore the glaring evidence presented to us all.

Now stop being a hypocrite and let people have their opinions, then we'll let you have yours. :)

• Reply 186 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

What happened to these colors?

Wow, you are so funny.

Quote:

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

Because this "thing" is the most innovative smartphone to come out since the original iPhone. Maybe if you dropped the 2-liter kool aid bottle for a second and read what it's got you could figure that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They keep releasing products no one is buying. 

Go to The Verge, Giz, Anand, etc. There are plenty of impressed people over there. And plenty of "Goodbye iPhone/Android!" comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Has a mention of battery life come up?

It has a 2000mAh battery, close to the Galaxy S3's 2100 (I think). The processor however is 30% more energy efficient, not to mention how much Windows Phone is more efficient than Android...

Quote:

Is the implication that you think this is better than Apple's offerings? Can you really say that until the 12th? Of course I look around at other things.

Calling it now. The "Amazing new iPhone 5" has a STUNNING 4" display that is just a stretched standard Retina, thus neither as bright, sensible, or fast as the one found in the Lumia, INCREDIBLY FAST processor that barely keeps up with the S3 and the 920, and a 12mp camera that is a minor improvement and doesn't get near the PureView because the sensor is too small and there's no hardware stabilization to allow for longer exposure times. Battery probably will go up from 1400 to 1600 mAh, not meaning much since the 4S has unimpressive battery life (I have one right here). And it'll run the same tired iOS we know and love (or are sick of).

It will also sell millions more than the Lumia. Because, as someone in this thread ironically said "People have no taste"

Quote:

Blah, blah, FUD, blah blah, gloom and doom… THIS is why I don't like seeing competitor crap here. Pulls the trolls even further out of the woodwork.

How you got to be a moderator is a mystery, on the other hand.

And how exactly was that FUD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Yecch... hideous. It hurts the eyes to even look at those phones and displays. As Steve Jobs said of Microsoft, they just have no taste.

Funny, I could say the same of iOS. And just so you know, yellow is not the only color. We're not talking about monochrome Apple, remember?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

You forget NFC! It has NFC, and a 2000 mAh battery! But wait for Apple to bring the amazing new iPhone with... a new connectooooor!!! Aaaand it's thinneeer!!! It's magic!

And its GORGEOUS 4" display to give you EVEN MORE of the web and your apps, don't you forget!
  • Reply 187 of 253

Quote:

No because no? W O W.

I was going to quote the rest of your post, but that's such a waste of time, isn't it?

• Reply 188 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not going to take off. Let's face it, it sucks and very few will be sold.

It destroys current smartphones and the predicted iPhone 5. Come again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

This too ^

Wow I didn't know Apple made a version of the iPhone 4 running iOS 3, with no front camera, AND that looks exactly like the iPhone 3G/3GS!

That this error wasn't caught during the trial (apparently) is even more telling of Apple's "innovation"

Quote:

Welp, nice to know people weren't lying about you. Someone has a different opinion (remember when you said opinions were good?) and you start trying to start a flame war. :)

You can't ignore it, Apple have not done anything noteworthy with the iPhone since the initial release of the iPhone 4. If they follow their usual routine then we will get an A5X, we've seen (right here on this site, actually) that passbook is not a wallet (just a glorified coupon book) and there is no wallet in beta builds of iOS 6, that does not bode well for NFC support. Stocks also do not govern the media coverage the devices are getting, and unless they do actually put some new technology inside the iPhone hardware, then I'll stick to my original notion of Apple is not making any new and exciting technology - just last years shit in a different dress.

I want to be proven wrong, but its very hard to ignore the glaring evidence presented to us all.

Just emphasizing.

• Reply 189 of 253
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

LL

That being said, most analysis I managed to find on the web agree that stock drop is because of availability date and prices not being announced yet, not because phones are lacking.

Additionally, I recall that Apple's stock often drops a bit after new products announcement.
  • Reply 190 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I believe that shifting mechanism is not much different in sensor and lens shifting, main difference is what is being shifted... But that is not the point - I just wanted to clear are we talking about digital stabilisation or about sensor shift stabilisation, is all.
    Apologies to others for sidetracking off the topic.

I consider shifting the sensor as digital, because it's calculated digitally, and controlled digitally. If you like, we can call it a digital/mechanical hybrid.

Optical is very different. The original systems weren't digitally controlled. But it does require a very precise optical module, which is expensive, often costing more than an entire camera body including a digital anti shake module. The lens doesn shift, of course, just that optical module at the nodal point inside.

It's very different than moving a tiny sensor.
  • Reply 191 of 253
    Your information is wrong.

Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) is used on many cameras, from compact upwards. Panasonic, for example, uses it on many of their point-and-shoot models, and have for years. Both them and Olympus also use it on their Micro Four Thirds models. The cheap kit lens on my Panasonic G3 comes standard with it, as do most of their zoom lenses.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/ois/index.html

And for the record, the OIS on the Nokia 920 moves the entire sensor assembly, not just the lenses. There is a real comparison to a non-OIS smartphone using a proto 920 on YouTube already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSbhyaH0vw.

Well, I'm surprised it's used so much, it wasn't just a few years ago. Manufacturers were moving in droves to sensor based mechanisms. Still, most manufacturers don't use optical.
  • Reply 192 of 253
    Oops![
  • Reply 193 of 253
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Ooooooo, Industry experts, I'm so impressed.

I have an Olympus E-M5 which has an incredible 5 axis in body image stabilisation system which no digital IS can come close to matching, so your industry experts need to get up to speed.  Anadtech tried a Lumia 920 and it did rather better in low light than an iPhone:

LL

I told you so.

New model, not available for a good two months, compared to an old model about to be discontinued. Not a great comparison.
  • Reply 194 of 253
    Or, better argument. He's no longer with us, no longer has influence over Apple, Apple want the money.

That, I think, is worthy of the Pureview branding. That picture in the video looked stunning.

The picture in the video was fake.
  • Reply 195 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

New model, not available for a good two months, compared to an old model about to be discontinued. Not a great comparison.

If you actually think Apple's going to do anything other than increase MP, I have bad news for you.

Quote:

The picture in the video was fake.

How? We saw him taking it.

• Reply 196 of 253

Now stop being a hypocrite and let people have their opinions, then we'll let you have yours. :)

No, you don't want to be "proven" wrong. You're very happy to be making these statements, and to keep thinking this way.

I don't even know what the big fuss about NFC is all about. When you think about it, you realize how limited it is. You must swipe over a terminal. Apple's system is much better. I've bought a number of things in the stores with the app in my iPhone. You don't have to stand in line to swipe a terminal. You can do it anywhere in the store.

And then, some talk about security. Well, it's been found out that NFC isn't secure after all, and the BT 4 Apple is using, is more secure. So, that's one argument out the door.

There's no evidence that Google's wallet is successful. In fact, the evidence is that it's not. We have the major credit companies lining up with their version. We have the phone companies lining up with theirs, and we have the banks lining up with theirs.

Standards? Forget it! Everyone wants a part of what they think will be a large pie, and they all want to control it.

Apple is said to have the best chance, without NFC, possibly. We see a number of large companies using Apple's system.

But there's another thing that must be spoken about, and that's store security. Most stores have these clips that go on a large number of products. They must be removed at the counter, by an employee. So even with NFC, you will still have to stand in another line to get that clip removed.

And NFC chips in other products must be scanned to be deactivated, again at the counter by an employee. So this isn't going to be useful until stores decide to not require all of that. And exactly when will that happen? Trusting their customers not to steal, really?

No other company is doing anything better than Apple is doing with their phones, unless you consider these bloated size things to be major advances. Companies all around reach a certain point of maturity with their products, and then it becomes more difficult to move forwards significantly intel there is a technology breakthrough of some kind.

The entire industry is worried about Apple, something you can read in nu sous articles, because they have the advantage of doing the whole thing, from desktops and notebooks, to the OS, the the major software, to iPods, phones, tablets, aTv and content. And tying that all together now, and increasingly, is iCloud.

There's no other company that has all of that, and it's driving sales. We just read that Apple sold over a million tablets into the education market last quarter. That's very significant. Nac sales to business increased 56% where Windows sales dropped 9%.

There are reasons for all this, even if you don't want to see it.

However little you think Apple is innovating theses days, be assured that everyone else is innovating less.
  • Reply 197 of 253

I fail to see how.

You can't ignore it, Apple have not done anything noteworthy with the iPhone since the initial release of the iPhone 4.

I can, because it's a blatant lie. You can't say that with a straight face.

The evidence that none of us have, no one knows, and which you're basing on nothing, you mean?

Can't really have an opinion based on no facts, can you?

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Because this "thing" is the most innovative smartphone to come out since the original iPhone. Maybe if you dropped the 2-liter kool aid bottle for a second and read what it's got you could figure that out.

Thanks for rendering your argument illegitimate early.

Go to The Verge, Giz, Anand, etc. There are plenty of impressed people over there. And plenty of "Goodbye iPhone/Android!" comments.

And those happen at every phone launch, but the follow through is all that matters. Apparently people don't follow through.

Calling it now. The "Amazing new iPhone 5" has a STUNNING 4" display that is just a stretched standard Retina, thus neither as bright, sensible, or fast as the one found in the Lumia, INCREDIBLY FAST processor that barely keeps up with the S3 and the 920, and a 12mp camera that is a minor improvement and doesn't get near the PureView because the sensor is too small and there's no hardware stabilization to allow for longer exposure times. Battery probably will go up from 1400 to 1600 mAh, not meaning much since the 4S has unimpressive battery life (I have one right here). And it'll run the same tired iOS we know and love (or are sick of).

All right; we'll see if you're at all right when it comes out. The community has really moved past people typing up their own spec lists and then seeing who was right, haven't we? I sort of miss that.

How you got to be a moderator is a mystery, on the other hand.

Yada yada, ad homs… 

And how exactly was that FUD?

I wouldn't imagine you'd see it as such, as you're used to saying the same sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I was going to quote the rest of your post, but that's such a waste of time, isn't it?

Well, the original point has no proof thereof, so until there's something more on that side of the argument than "it's stale", I don't have to say diddly.

I question the image beyond that, too.

• Reply 198 of 253
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nokia faked the still photos too — http://sefsar.com/nokia-faked-the-still-photos-too
  • Reply 199 of 253
    lukeskymac wrote: »

If you actually think Apple's going to do anything other than increase MP, I have bad news for you.

So you have an in at Apple, and have been told their plans.

How? We saw him taking it.

Well, not fake like the others are, but something is hinky. There's no light in that booth they're shooting in, yet the picture the 920 took is overexposed.
  • Reply 200 of 253
    nikon133 wrote: »
    That being said, most analysis I managed to find on the web agree that stock drop is because of availability date and prices not being announced yet, not because phones are lacking.
    Additionally, I recall that Apple's stock often drops a bit after new products announcement.

No, the phones are thought to be lacking.