Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 141 of 253
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Nokia busted faking Purview ad:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/05/deceptive-advertising-nokia-admits-to-faking-the-pureview-ad/

Watch the video. Hilarious. And they call the Siri ads deceptive.
  • Reply 142 of 253
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I don't think you're a racist, but maybe the guy works for Nokia? In any event, I could understand him perfectly.

I haven't seen video yet, but I'd guess he was somehow involved in design of new phone(s). It seems to be a trend, putting on stage creative people who actually were behind the product creation.
  • Reply 143 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.

While optical image stabilization can indeed be superior, Nokia has been caught faking stabilized video footage. So the extent of how much superior it is remains to be seen.

• Reply 144 of 253
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member

The floating image sensor looks amazing, the Nokia specific apps look really handy, we know Snapdragon S4 is the best CPU-wise SoC out there, in addition to the low power draw chip there's a huge battery and other optimizations, the screen changes hue in relation to the light you are in....Just really, really impressive in all. And now that WP has 100,000 apps, you can probably find what you need. 

Going to take a lot more than an elongated screen to rustle my jimmies after all this, your move iPhone 5. 

• Reply 145 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What chips are they using and are they over clocking?  Windows PCs tend to do over clocking from time to time, which might be a reason why they have reliability issues.

Uhhh what? The Snapdragon S4 chip in this phone is running at the designed frequency. No phone manufacturer has shipped a phone beyond the chips designed frequency. Some enthusiast PC OEMs do that, but for the most part they run at the designed frequency as well. Overclocking for the most part is user-end. 

• Reply 146 of 253

The ad may have been from an SLR, but the phone camera is still a definite step forward, look at this

http://gizmodo.com/5940697/definite-proof-that-the-lumia-920s-pureview-camera-is-awesome

• Reply 147 of 253
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It actually doesn't (have a better camera).  

Despite what the article says, this camera is nothing like the 41 megapixel camera demonstrated last year.  In fact this camera has almost identical specs to the camera on the iPhone 4s, and works in the same way with more or less the same sensors.  It has optical stabilisation instead of digital (6 of one and half dozen of the other), but otherwise is a fairly standard camera much like you can find on any device lately. 

Anyway, "PureView" is a brand, (not a "technology" as the article states).   

There is no comparison between OIS and digital stabilisation.  You don't know what you are talking about.  The Nokia has an f2 lens while the iPhone 4s has an f2.4 lens, which should give it the edge in light gathering in low light situations. If the sensor area is larger than normal for an 8mp phone camera, the low light performance of the sensor could well be superior due to lower noise..  All in all just looking at specs and declaring that the camera is no better is shooting from the lip.

• Reply 148 of 253

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

…have a separate 'personal' login where you can express your personal opinions.

Seems disingenuous.

i never know whether the comments you're making are in your capacity as official appleinsider.com global moderator or in your capacity as just another site user.

… I think you can figure it out. 

• Reply 149 of 253

Personally I think it looks like a nice phone .I agree that they should take a leaf out of Apple and release the product within a week.

Im due an upgrade so been waiting for the iPhone 5.   If its just a stretched version of the 4S with LTE (no use in the UK) no NFC etc, I think I will pass. Its an ugly mother****. I never thought I would say this but Apple seem to be spending more time in court than QA'ing their designs.

Still  I live in hope that Apple pull the rabbit out the hat, otherwise I may well just get the Lumia when it comes out

Heres hoping :)

• Reply 150 of 253
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

yet you'll love it when Apple introduces it and think they invented it.

I love how nobody can criticize anything anymore without that bullshit statement being vomited out by people like you. Apple would never, ever do something like this and if they did, with the same implementation, I would also say it's stupid and useless. So instead of a cable going from the wall to the phone, its a cable that goes from the wall to a massive brick to my phone. Awesome improvement. 

• Reply 151 of 253
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

There is.

This video looks pretty impressive to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0&feature=BFa&list=PLgKNvl454BxeDMU2rPf3Y7rjegrzYwd7U

Yes, it is impressive. And also a complete fraud. The stabilized video was shot from a van with a camera rig. Woops. 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3294545/nokias-pureview-ads-are-fraudulent ;

• Reply 152 of 253
    haar wrote: »
    name a product that is completely better than apple. (you cant because once you discount the price, either the design or the insides are better than others...)
    um, because apple is the bestest (LOL)... er wise choice because it has the best products, and state-of-art to boot...

What is better for one isn't necessarily better for others.

I know people who believe products like:

Galaxy S3
    Lenovo ThinkPad X1
    Asus Zenbook Prime

just to mention a few... are best in their respective class, and that includes comparable Apple offerings. But like I said, it all depends on one's requirements and priorities.

If you are into gaming, for example, any gaming lappy could be better for you than any luxurious aluminium (or carbon fibre) laptop out there. It is not going to be completely better, but it will be better in things that matter to you. Likewise, Apple products are not completely better, though they can be better for one's needs - there will always be product with bigger storage, higher res screen, faster CPU or some other particular advantage.
  • Reply 153 of 253
    pooch wrote: »
    because it's confusing. because in your role as appleinsider.com global moderator you routinely disparage people for the same type of comments which you yourself post. you most certainly are entitled to your own opinions, but it seems that in your role as global moderator you would, you know, moderate, and then have a separate 'personal' login where you can express your personal opinions. i never know whether the comments you're making are in your capacity as official appleinsider.com global moderator or in your capacity as just another site user.

I did point out to that before... and some others.

T.S., who might be perfectly agreeable companion in real, appears to me here at AI as power user - someone with moderator privileges, but no moderator responsibilities.

Yes, other moderators are biased toward Apple - after all, this is Apple fan site - but their opinions are more... moderate. As it should be.
  • Reply 154 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

Because most of us don't want to live in a bubble....???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Bold move indeed. But Is this also a do-or-die release for Nokia?

If this is a the swansong, it is a beautiful swansong.

A little thick-ish looking (I don't know if that's illusion or fact) - but, based on lots of nice features, and to resurrect a 1964 political slogan, truly "A choice, not an echo."

(which I hate to tell Nokia, was Goldwater's swan song).

"In your heart you know [he's] it's right"... "In your head you know [he's] it's wrong".

• Reply 155 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Nokia busted faking Purview ad:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/05/deceptive-advertising-nokia-admits-to-faking-the-pureview-ad/

Watch the video. Hilarious. And they call the Siri ads deceptive.

Watch the first 20 seconds.  Clearly someone is videoing both people cycling along... likely on a large camera.

Edit: After watching the video slowly, it does look fake.  Until real units are on the street we'll never know just how fake.

• Reply 156 of 253
    filburt wrote: »
    While optical image stabilization can indeed be superior, Nokia has been caught faking stabilized video footage. So the extent of how much superior it is remains to be seen.

Look at Anandtech.com. During hands-on time after presentation, Nokia set up some interesting low light scenes where people were able to actually compare available Lumias with their own phones. If other examples were pre-fabricated, those were not.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6236/hands-on-with-the-nokia-lumia-920-lumia-820

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=27605
  • Reply 157 of 253
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

There is no comparison between OIS and digital stabilisation.  You don't know what you are talking about.  The Nokia has an f2 lens while the iPhone 4s has an f2.4 lens, which should give it the edge in light gathering in low light situations. If the sensor area is larger than normal for an 8mp phone camera, the low light performance of the sensor could well be superior due to lower noise..  All in all just looking at specs and declaring that the camera is no better is shooting from the lip.

Well, the point is that everyone *is* just reading the specs and shooting from the hip at this point.  Most of that shooting has been following Nokia's PR crapola and assuming this is a far better camera.  I was just pointing out that based on the released specs it's essentially in the very same ballpark as any other camera on a modern smartphone.  

Optical versus digital stabilisation is an argument that can go on forever.  All I can say is many industry people I have talked to say that it's "6 of one and half a dozen of the other" so that's why I repeated that.  

Overall, I'm forced to assume that this *isn't* a better camera than the iPhone 4S or if it is it is only marginally so.  The main reason I say that is Nokia's total misrepresentation of "purview" technology as well as the fact that they faked the video showing how good the camera is!  Those two things together imply quite strongly to me that this isn't a great camera.   

• Reply 158 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I wasn't too interested in wireless charging... but then I came across JBL speaker box that charges phone and plays music from the phone wirelessly. You just put your phone on top of the box (actually wireless playback works over some distance too). No docking ports, cables to break/damage. I think it is nice.

Now the question is, how long does it take to charge phone.

wireless playback works over some distance, but this wireless charging doesn't.

So what's the point, wasting energy (for connecting via wifi) and limiting data bandwhith in order to avoid a plug that is on the phone anyways?

• Reply 159 of 253
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    qualar wrote: »
    @Tallest Skil Are you so blinkered that you would not even consider something non-apple even if it was better.  How old are you?

Although IMO it is important to see and understand what the competition is offering, you asked the wrong question. The right question is, would you consider a Phone running Microsoft? And the resounding answer would be NO! To even put the phrase "even if better" is laughable.
  • Reply 160 of 253
    melgross wrote: »
    I used to think so too. Canon invented optical stab. They licensed it to Sony for their camcorders. But Sony decided to use digital for their still cameras, and most other camera manufacturers did too. At first, it wasn't very good, but over the years got much better. It's pretty much equal to optical, except for very expensive glass and very high Rez sensors. But Nikon and Canon still go that way.
    I don't see this as much more than a marketing ploy such as Carl Zeiss, Schneider, and Leica lenses on cheap cameras, and phone cameras.

Um... what still cameras are we talking about?

I'm aware of Sony stills using shifting sensor instead of shifting glass elements in lens... but that is not what they call digital stabilization, to my knowledge. Digital stabilization does not shift anything - it uses larger sensor than actual frame size, and then tries to crop the same frame wherever it is on the image sensor.