New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cameronj wrote: »
    I get excited about it, in a bad way.  Keep that tiny mm and devote it entirely to battery!

I'll be more surprised if the battery life isn't increased with this new phone.
  • Reply 42 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianld View Post

Why oh why are they moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the device??  Am I the only person who thinks this is odd?  Honestly can't see the reasoning for that one.  Someone please explain!

Makes sense to me.  With today's iPhone if you want to hear it ring your best bet is to shove it top-first into your pants or jacket pocket, but if you want to use headphones you have to flip it so the top is pointing up.

With this iPhone you'll use the same orientation regardless of whether you're using headphones or not.

• Reply 43 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Agree with you.  Love my 4s.  It's design is a classic.  As SJ said, "Like a fine Leica camera.."  Also, I like the glass back and stainless steel sides.  Makes the phone relatively hard to scratch.

Still, as a stockholder, I fear that the stock will not react too well if everyone starts saying that there is nothing new here - design wise.

They said that last year when 4S was released. The stock has more or less doubled since. Your retirement is fine :)

• Reply 44 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I am. I get excited when a new 911 Turbo Carerra Porsche rolls off the assembly line. The polish and quality of these designs drives the industry, period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll be more surprised if the battery life isn't increased with this new phone.

In keeping with the Porsche analogy, each version of the 911 has at least the same amount if not more gusto under the hood. So we can expect each iPhone to never regress in specs such as speed, battery life and camera.

• Reply 45 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I'm sure Steve had quite a bit of influence on this design.

A good friend of mine who is high up at Apple, told me over 1.5 years ago, well before the 4S came out, that Apple would be going with a taller screen, not a wider screen. Sure enough, he was right.

Haters gonna hate.

From the perspective of video viewing, it will indeed be a wider screen :)

• Reply 46 of 117
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 

Reaction...to what?  The iPhone 5 will be a blockbuster regardless of its thickness (within reason).   It will much faster.  It will be LTE.  The screen will be bigger.  The people that will be most interested are people like me...folks who have an iPhone 4 or earlier.  It will have an improved casing and antenna design.   So please, let's not scream Apple is Doomed just yet.

• Reply 47 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Makes sense to me.  With today's iPhone if you want to hear it ring your best bet is to shove it top-first into your pants or jacket pocket, but if you want to use headphones you have to flip it so the top is pointing up.

With this iPhone you'll use the same orientation regardless of whether you're using headphones or not.

That is a good point which I agree with. I always put my iPhone in my pocket upside down anyway since I am often just checking the time so as I am reaching for the phone I can press the home button simultaneously and that little indention of the home button also give a slightly better grip so I don't accidentally drop it. Never dropped it yet anyway. They probably could make the ring tone a bit louder though.

• Reply 48 of 117

I think the speakers look much better on the 4, I hope at least that part of the leak is not true.  Not that I'm going to get one, but, still those speaker holes are lame.  I want my iPhone peeps to be happy.

• Reply 49 of 117
    mstone wrote: »
    I always put my iPhone in my pocket upside down anyway since I am often just checking the time so as I am reaching for the phone I can press the home button simultaneously and that little indention of the home button also give a slightly better grip so I don't accidentally drop it.

I do the same thing.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    shidell wrote: »
    Consumers are supposed to get excited over this?

I remember when gizmodo first got their hands on the stolen iPhone and put it on display.

First thought I had was

"this isn't apple . .the design is so . . Plain"

Then I got it in my hands and it elegance and simplicity spoke volumes. I still think its the best looking phone on the market 2 years later.

Now I'm ready for a new design and I will admit I felt similar to the way others felt negatively about this design when I first saw it.

It has grown on me but, I think we should (most likely many of us will) hold our judgment until we see it in your greasy little hands.

I actually think whatever they out out there will be a nice looking device.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/goophone-apple-iphone/all/1
    If anyone wants to see the Chinese version...
  • Reply 52 of 117

Never thought about it before that my iPhone 4S looks like an ice-cream sandwich. As long as the next iPhone doesn't look like a jellybean...shudder

• Reply 53 of 117

I agree with most here this is a classic design

Cant beat the integration with other products, blows away my current samsung for music/photo integration

Bought the samsung S2 for LTE here in canada, which I LOVE (LTE that is) and can keep usage under control, but virtually unusable for music, camera sucks...

For those complaining about no design change, look at the new Nokia...

Virtually a copycat of their last years version, which I think is a cool design

Once youve got a great design, hard to justify a switch

I for one will almost certainly go back to iphone now that LTE has arrived!

• Reply 54 of 117
    I find from the pictures online so far, the quality of the metal body on iPhone 5 is too low quality. Worse than a spoon that has been tucked in the corner of the drawer for years unused. Looks like it is too light to be regarded as HQ too. We'll see when we get there.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianld View Post

Why oh why are they moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the device??  Am I the only person who thinks this is odd?  Honestly can't see the reasoning for that one.  Someone please explain!

It lets them make the battery taller, almost to the very top of the phone. It also places the jack at the bottom of the phone, near the new plug, which will come in handy with the 30-pin accessory adaptor (both from an electronic and structural standpoint). 

• Reply 56 of 117
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Reaction...to what?  The iPhone 5 will be a blockbuster regardless of its thickness (within reason).   It will much faster.  It will be LTE.  The screen will be bigger.  The people that will be most interested are people like me...folks who have an iPhone 4 or earlier.  It will have an improved casing and antenna design.   So please, let's not scream Apple is Doomed just yet.

Exactly. The iPhone 5 will be a smash hit no matter what anyone here or elsewhere says. It looks different enough, and packs all the features people have been saying the iPhone lacked for years. Widescreen, LTE, and maybe even an NFC like solution. There won't be anything Android will have over it.

• Reply 57 of 117
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I like the fact that there is a new iPhone model coming out.  I like the fact the screen is larger.  What I do not like is how tall the screen is compared to the 4s.  Honestly I think a wider and Taller screen would have been better.

• Reply 58 of 117

Hope to maybe offer my opinions on some of your concerns;

4G (it will make me get a more expensive data plan

You don't have to use 4G; and pretty much everyone else wants that feature

looks too much like the IPhone 4.

To me, it looks similar, but still quite different.  yes, it's still a rounded rectangle, but this has a solid aluminum body, no glass on back,  is of a different size, and thinner.  The "face" of it is still very "Iphone"  but that is part of their branding.  I mean the de-facto Iphone icon is basically it's silhouette, What other Phone is IMMEDIATELY identifiable by just it's silhouette?

the Notification control panel is confusing and overly complicated

I do think the notification Panel should be "cleaned-up": get rid of the texture there, make it look more like the settings "app".  perhaps then notification categories should be "minimized" by default to just their headings and expand when you touch them (perhaps they "glow" when there is a recent notification?)

The voice-mail interface needs to be the same as the rest of the interface

Seems the same to me... Swipe-to-delete works on IOS5 for me unless I don't understand you.

Provide a way to zoom into websites designed for mobile devices

More up to the website developer;  if they have specified a fixed viewport then they can prevent you from zooming.

Make it so IOS does not hesitate when I'm swiping from the home screen to the search screen

Doesn't happen on my Iphone 4s (ios 5)

Make it easy to automatically switch off data or Wi-Fi based on where you are and your signal to either

IOS5 already does one part of this,  if it detects a known WiFi it automatically connects and all data then goes through the WiFi,  and i thought in IOS 6 they added a feature to automatically switch back to cellular if WiFi signal gets too low, not sure though...

• Reply 59 of 117
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I like the fact that there is a new iPhone model coming out.  I like the fact the screen is larger.  What I do not like is how tall the screen is compared to the 4s.  Honestly I think a wider and Taller screen would have been better.

I think it's funny how many people here wish it were wider and taller.

I imagine if Apple actually did that it'd be "fatty Nano" all over again.

• Reply 60 of 117

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, and I propose a new rule that instates automatic banning for any mention of 'Steve Jobs would have never allowed' horse-shit.

Agreed, but that's not an "official AppleInsider position". 

????

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think it's funny how many people here wish it were wider and taller. I imagine if Apple actually did that it'd be "fatty Nano" all over again.

*nodding* They don't really know what they actually want…