New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    We let them because in the end they're toothless and harmless.

Not to mention brainless, witless, useless.......
  • Reply 82 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.

And you would be the expert on getting excited holding something a millimeter thick in your hand...

• Reply 83 of 117

I'm ready. Bring it on.

• Reply 84 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Consumers are supposed to get excited over this?

Does Porsche change the design of their cars every year? Or decade? How about BMW, or Mercedes? What is it that you are really expecting? This is a beautifully engineered and designed computing device that isn't just good, but outstanding. If you're looking for something that looks like a different design go buy something else. Meanwhile, its Apple's total ecosystem, advanced and upgraded features and functions, iOS and the hundreds of thousands of apps, coupled with this beautifully designed hardware, that make the iPhone the best selling smartphone in the world.

• Reply 85 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

This design is crap. It's basically a 4S S with pretty much the same thickness of body - it's just the thinner glass that is different - and that'll shatter more easily if there is only one layer. Then you've got those untidy holes all over the place - Steve Jobs would never have allowed a product like that to be released, it offends anyone with any artistic sensibilities. They aren't uniform, nor are they symmetrical. Was Jony Ive on leave when they thought this Frankenstein up? I really, really wanted to replace my tired old 3G iPhone this year, it's about 4 years old now and I really don't want a Samesung or a Notia...

wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

• Reply 86 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

And you would be the expert on getting excited holding something a millimeter thick in your hand...

So I take it paxman has met you?

• Reply 87 of 117
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    You know, I'd really suggest whoever hates this design to just jump ship now. This will almost certainly be the exact design for 2013's phone also, so we're looking at 2 years with this, and I'd prefer to go without the incessant bitching and whining throughout that entire time, and repeating this cycle of hype and dissapointment all over again next year. Justdeal with it and move on. Either buy it or don't, but please just shutup about your dissapointment. If you expressed it once, it's more than enough.
  • Reply 88 of 117

Shut up and take my money!

• Reply 89 of 117
    slurpy wrote: »
    You know, I'd really suggest whoever hates this design to just jump ship now. This will almost certainly be the exact design for 2013's phone also, so we're looking at 2 years with this, and I'd prefer to go without the incessant bitching and whining throughout that entire time, and repeating this cycle of hype and dissapointment all over again next year. Justdeal with it and move on. Either buy it or don't, but please just shutup about your dissapointment. If you expressed it once, it's more than enough.

People have hated every iPhone design to date.

Original iPhone - Stupid because it didn't have a slide out keyboard and foolishly had a glass cover instead of plastic (which was just an Apple conspiracy for you to break it and then have to buy another one). Also had easily scratch-prone aluminum casing with stupid two-tone back that was ugly.
    iPhone 3G - Got rid of aluminum for cheap looking and feeling plastic.
    iPhone 3GS - Apple was so cheap that they relabeled the exact same cheap phone again.
    iPhone 4... - (rinse and repeat)
  • Reply 90 of 117
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillio View Post

What I don't know about it:

• if they'll make the home button more reliable, so it does not stop working well after almost two years.

It's due to the layer of carbon formed between the button and the contact below,

Clean off the carbon with an eraser it will work fine (I know you will tell me how to open up the phone to do it, just google for the process)

• Reply 91 of 117

Not referring to just this forum but forums in general.  Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.  Just a few examples from this thread that is actually a very mild thread and only 3 pages long.

1. It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

3. Not to mention brainless, witless, useless.......

4. wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

I think it is sad that talking about tech can reduce us to insulting each other.  Just imagine how bad we would be if we were talking about something that is actually important.

• Reply 92 of 117
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Not referring to just this forum but forums in general.  Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.  Just a few examples from this thread that is actually a very mild thread and only 3 pages long.

4. wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

I think it is sad that talking about tech can reduce us to insulting each other.  Just imagine how bad we would be if we were talking about something that is actually important.

This is like wrestling, we throw insults at each other and then tomorrow is another day.

Nothing to get upset about.

PS no animal was injured or harmed during the creation of this series.

• Reply 93 of 117
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 

I agree. I personnaly find this design wonderful. It's iOS that needs more work imo. Apple is known for its great innovative ideas in OS design, and they haven't changed iOS much in the last three years.

• Reply 94 of 117
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

I've come to accept this as being typical on AI, and moderators do nothing about it. Too bad. Most tech sites aren't this way though.

• Reply 95 of 117

Thin enough, long enough, BUT not wide enough - and so the 4 inch screen is just not big enough in competition with other smartphones with screen sizes 4.5 inches and above.

• Reply 96 of 117
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The special event is set take place on Sept. 12 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern...

What about the people who live in the Mountain and Central time zones?

• Reply 97 of 117
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    paxman wrote: »
    A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.
    And then when it goes into a bumper case ('cos aluminum scratches easily remember) you won't even notice the difference...
  • Reply 98 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dillio wrote: »
    What I don't know about it:
    • if they'll make the home button more reliable, so it does not stop working well after almost two years.

Is your phone less than 2 years old? I bought my iPhone 4 the day it came out so it's about 2.25 years old now. I have never gone a day without using that phone. I've dropped it, I've thrown it around, I've never had it cleaned. My Home Button less responsive but when I consider what my average number of presses per day is and multiply that by 805 days that tells me it's doing a pretty good job. I do wish it was better but that's a different issue altogether.
  • Reply 99 of 117

I was slightly underwhelmed by the exterior design too and was hoping for something less incremental. Personally I've always liked the look (metal back, thinness) of the iPod Touch and was hoping that the iPhone would move in that direction. This would also be consistent with the design language of the iPad too. As other forum members have already pointed out, some symmetry and balance also appears to have been lost, especially if the back panel is two-tone. I guess l'll just have to wait and see how it looks and feels when I go to the store.

Having said all that, the level of competition in design terms is weak. Most phones are pretty drab affairs and look cheap too. The best alternative is probably the Nokia Lumia phones - clean and balanced exterior design (although perhaps a tad too thick), and you do get a choice of colour too.

It'd also be interesting to know how much the design has been compromised by a) hardware/manufacturing/robustness constraints, and b) the volume of work passing through the design department.

As for iOS, all these new features are certainly making it feel more and more congested. But that's progress :)

• Reply 100 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's hard to tell but the first pic makes it look like the internal space height could be ever so slightly increased.
    You can turn off 4G LTE if you want.

Don't some carriers make you pay for it even if you don't use it? I thought Verizon tacks on a $10/mo premium for all their LTE phones, even if you don't live or work in an LTE zone.