New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Don't some carriers make you pay for it even if you don't use it? I thought Verizon tacks on a $10/mo premium for all their LTE phones, even if you don't live or work in an LTE zone.

I seem to recall Sprint doing that for WiMAX. I'm sure there are others but I don't know who they are and I wonder if LTE is common enough now in networks and devices that it would be like charging a premium for 3G over 2G.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Its so you will buy all new accessories.  The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.

Flimsy? If they're doing what I think they're doing, it won't be flimsy. See "structural" in my previous post.

• Reply 103 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Meh

• Reply 104 of 117

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

Yes. I would. With absolutely no expression on my face nor emotion in my voice. I would say that, not to incense, but to highlight just how wrong said act is, emphasizing it further through the very lack of visual or auditory emphasis. I mean not to devolve arguments, which is why using no expression and no emotion is the cleanest way to fight, and why text-based discussions are so pure. If text is written as simply text, any perceived emotion is just that, and is the fault of the reader if they misinterpret, misconstrue, or otherwise mistake.

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Most tech sites aren't this way though.

Yeah, that's not a complete fabrication… 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is your phone less than 2 years old? I bought my iPhone 4 the day it came out so it's about 2.25 years old now. I have never gone a day without using that phone. I've dropped it, I've thrown it around, I've never had it cleaned.

Same here, but with the first gen. Though it isn't any less responsive (I keep my iPhone pocket empty always).

• Reply 105 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    davestall wrote: »
    Its so you will buy all new accessories. The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Flimsy? If they're doing what I think they're doing, it won't be flimsy. See "structural" in my previous post.

Have there been spy shots of the alleged dock adapter?
  • Reply 106 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So, I guess the addition of a second noise cancelling microphone with the 4, was a total waste of time then?

I don't think it's a noise canceling issue.  I think that actual call sound quality hasn't improved.  I'll admit now that I'm not an expert in this field. It may be cell tower issues, it may be AT&T, it may be the antennas in the iPhone, it may even be a combination of all of them.  Regardless of what's actually causing it, I wish it would be addressed.  If we're able to stream radio and podcasts that sound crisp and undistorted, why can't we have phone calls that are crisp and undistorted?  And then to make matters worse, the sound quality deteriorates significantly more if the other person is also on a cell phone.  

Perhaps it's that we've all been using cell phones for a decade or two and we've become so used to the awful sound of conversations on them, that we simply don't expect them to improve.  I do expect them to improve though.  The Apps and all, are just fine.  I want calls that don't sound like they are on a cell phone.  The noise canceling features are a nice touch, but if the call itself sounds bad, it's like putting sprinkles on an already melted ice cream cone.  If I can be at home and receive a call on my landline and I can tell immediately that the other person is on a cellphone even if they are in a quiet room, that ought to tell you something.  The sound quality of actual phone calls is significantly lacking, and ought to be addressed.

• Reply 107 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.

You're joking, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

A Car-Consumer Electronics comparison. No way it's a flawed analogy. No sir. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's THAT, and everything else as a total package. 

The iPhone is just beautifully put together and it runs iOS. Everyone knows what that means. 

With strange RF windows that break the otherwise decent unibody design. And a OS with an interface that wasn't made for more than the stock 2007 apps and instead had additional function slapped to it as an afterthought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I get excited about it, in a bad way.  Keep that tiny mm and devote it entirely to battery!

Exactly.

• Reply 108 of 117

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

None yet that I've seen.

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

You're joking, right?

On something like an iMac, a millimeter is meaningless. On a phone that is 9mm thick to begin with, 1mm is significant. You can't not understand this. Not that I don't agree with you that it should've been given to battery… 

• Reply 109 of 117
    What has me puzzled is the front camera above the earpiece in the center. Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design? Besides, if the design evolution is headed toward 3D, the eventual 3D design logically would place two front cameras (one on each side) on the same horizontal plane of the earpiece speaker.
  • Reply 110 of 117

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design?

No.

• Reply 111 of 117
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

In keeping with the Porsche analogy, each version of the 911 has at least the same amount if not more gusto under the hood. So we can expect each iPhone to never regress in specs such as speed, battery life and camera.

The biggest difference here between the Porsche 911 and the iPhone...

Porsche knows when it has a good design and sticks with it, only making minor improvements, and that's it.

Apple tries to re-invent look of the iPhone every other generation.

Apple needs to take a queue from Porsche.  The Gen 1 iPhone was a brilliant design, Gen 2 & 3 were just about there...minus the wonderful aluminum chassis.  Why you squared everything off and replaced the durable metal with plastic (and worse yet) then glass is beyond me.

Let's quit this "thinness" pissing-contest you obviously are only playing against yourself and go back to form-follows-function.  It's a hand-held device, it needs more ergonomics!  Thinner doesn't make it any more comfortable to hold.

You know what I was thinking the next best evolution would be to make the phone more like the iPad Gen 1.   Agreed people need flat edges to take photos and what-nots, but give me the subtly curved back again, please.

• Reply 112 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/goophone-apple-iphone/all/1

If anyone wants to see the Chinese version...

that's equally funny and annoying and aggravating all at the same time.

• Reply 113 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

My fav luxury sports car. Change is good.

And 911 sales are tanking http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/cayenne-aside-are-porsche-sales-dropping.html

911 sales were allegedly "tanking" back in the 80's too.  Yet it's still around.

Actually, the analogy should have been between Apple and Ferrari.  They both are the company everyone wants to beat, and they constantly are trying to re-invent the industry.

I prefer the 911.  Classic good looks that keeps getting better.

• Reply 114 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

I remember that the original iphone was described as a design that followed the "golden ratio" a ratio of measurements evident throughout nature and in which we can perceive a lot of natural beauty.

There is something about the new iphones design that just puts me off - it's not a conscious thought I can articulate, just a vague unease that the measurements seem out... perhaps because they have abandoned the golden ratio...

the golden ratio is roughly the mathematically expressed by "phi", which is 1.6180339887...or roughly 16:10.

So no, not even the screen of any of the past iPhones have been these proportions.

• Reply 115 of 117
    peteralt wrote: »
    What has me puzzled is the front camera above the earpiece in the center. Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design? Besides, if the design evolution is headed toward 3D, the eventual 3D design logically would place two front cameras (one on each side) on the same horizontal plane of the earpiece speaker.

More importantly, when are people going to. . .

STOP recording video vertically!?

It's so annoying to watch cats farting on you tube with those black bars on the side!

In all seriousness, I think apple shoukd remove this option from the video OS.

It's fine for still pictures and face time, it has its purpose in those two applications. But for recording and watching video i see no reason for this sort or action. We adopted widescreen tvs for a reason.

And yes I Understand it's easier to record with one hand this way, but anyone who has done it always either regrets doing it when it's transferred to a computer or asks, "why does it look like that?"

You should have seen at the last BBQ I went to, people were drunk trying to hit a piñata. I made sure to film it horozontally and now we have a hilarious video of drunk girls in bikinis falling in bushes . . All in the proper aspect ratio.
    :D
    Everyone else shot vertically.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    None yet that I've seen.

So we don't really know if it exists. I hope so, but I won't count on it.

More importantly, when are people going to. . .
    STOP recording video vertically!?
    It's so annoying to watch cats farting on you tube with those black bars on the side!
    In all seriousness, I think apple shoukd remove this option from the video OS.
    It's fine for still pictures and face time, it has its purpose in those two applications. But for recording and watching video i see no reason for this sort or action. We adopted widescreen tvs for a reason.
    And yes I Understand it's easier to record with one hand this way, but anyone who has done it always either regrets doing it when it's transferred to a computer or asks, "why does it look like that?"

You should have seen at the last BBQ I went to, people were drunk trying to hit a piñata. I made sure to film it horozontally and now we have a hilarious video of drunk girls in bikinis falling in bushes . . All in the proper aspect ratio.
    :D
    Everyone else shot vertically.

I don't get it either. But removing it from the OS would mean the footage will be displayed rotated. I suppose that should help train users to not do it again. And they might be less inclined to post it, so I guess that is a good suggestion.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    I think the 4S design looked better... :(