Lock & home screen ads aid Amazon's aggressive pricing of Kindle Fire HD

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146

The presentation of targeted ads *MUST* be made an option that owners can turn on or off. I don't get the Amazon supporters that say things like, "Amazon has to make their money somehow!" or "It's not that intrusive.". Those people are missing the main points: one is that Amazon is a multi-billion dollar multi-national company, two is that Amazon is already charging up to $600 for their top end model, and three is that consumers will be constantly purchasing through Amazon's ecosystem thus earning them even more money. So now Amazon is going to present ads so they make money on the transactions and anything they charge third party advertisers?!

The presentation of ads has to be a consumer option. Frankly, I'm tired of companies that think of their customers as incremental revenue generating machines. Amazon needs to dial back their greed.

Oh, and to the person that mentioned being able to eliminate the ads. I just checked and Engadget posted this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/

Evidently, Amazon has heard the complaints already, and they appear to be thinking of the mechanism/cost of eliminating the ads. That said, there is no information as to how to opt out of ads or how much it may cost to do that yet.

--DotComCTO

• Reply 22 of 146
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The service is not of much use without the gadget.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This is an analogy only those that grew up in Britain will get I'm sure. It occurs to me that Apple is becoming like the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) while the rest are the ITV (Independent Television). The BBC had no advertising, was a closed eco system and the quality was awesome but it cost you a fee (read a premium) every year (well worth it IMHO). ITV is like American TV, a mix of good and bad but all with endless advertising interruptions.
  • Reply 24 of 146

The question is:

How long will consumers buy a device who's stated function is to advertise to said consumer to buy more products?

• Reply 25 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud30000 View Post

Link?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/

Actually a pretty funny article.

• Reply 26 of 146
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Thanks once again Bezos for proving to everyone why the iPad remains on top.

He cheapens his product by cramming advertisements in the consumers' face.  If I go to a store and have this and an iPad side-by-side, seeing the crap the Kindle is trying to throw at me, guess which product I will get.  I'd rather have a clean, simple, ad-free tablet than what this joke is, even if I have to pay a little bit more.

Just wait.  Just like when the first Kindle Fire came out, it's sell like crazy for a month, then die off.  If an iPad mini is in the works, it'll put this Kindle in peoples dusty desk drawers.

Bezos should be ashamed of himself.  That's one reason I don't watch much TV anymore as I'm fed up with the constant advertisements every five minutes.

• Reply 27 of 146

Do the ads constantly being on the lock screen affect the battery life ;-)  And as already questioned, do the ads use up that killer $50 per year plan?

Agree with the poster who said he's trying to be Steve, too.  All Bezos is missing is a turtleneck at this point.  Well, that and a really, really great product.

• Reply 28 of 146
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

It would be ironic if an ad was displayed for a discount on an iPad.

why? amazon sells them. i was going to buy my apple TV from there but ended up going to best buy. amazon had them for $85 two weeks ago and now $93 with free 2 day shipping for prime members

i might even buy a new macbook pro from amazon this december

• Reply 29 of 146

Quote:

Link?

This whole "link?" trend really needs to stop.  Its not like I am quoting some crazy statistic.  If you want a link, here is what you do. 

1.  Go to google, or bing, or yahoo, or altavista(are they even around anymore)

2.  Type in Kindle fire HD remove advertising

3.  Hit Go, Search, Bing, or whatever search button terminology the site uses

4.  Bunch of links magically appear. 

Since that is too difficult and I obviously love to make up stuff that could very easily be proven true/false by following the above steps, here is a link:

Let me know if you need more links....

• Reply 30 of 146
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Something tells me he hasn't given a citation for that. Why does he offer gadgets then?
    Yeah, I didn't understand that either.
    How do you use these services without a gadget? Or does he think if a gadget is priced cheap enough it's no longer a gadget?
  • Reply 31 of 146
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

I am going to set up shop on eBay offering fully rooted Fire's with all the Amazon crapware removed.  Running pure Android 4.0.   I'm going to charge $25 per device.  And I'm going to make a killing 

Bezos didn't even mention the ads in his presentation.  What a dickhead move.  He claims he is aligned with consumers, then does not even mention that he is going to pimp them and their personal info out to the highest bidder.  That is such a Google move  

All from a company that made $7 million last quarter vs. Apple's $8,800 million  

• Reply 32 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

This whole "link?" trend really needs to stop.  Its not like I am quoting some crazy statistic.  If you want a link, here is what you do. 

Since that is too difficult and I obviously love to make up stuff that could very easily be proven true/false by following the above steps, here is a link:

No its called citing your sources to defend your argument.  I think you learn this concept in about grade 9.

• Reply 33 of 146

Quote:

How'd you learn this magical "search" process?  Link please?

;-)

• Reply 34 of 146

If you can't turn off the ads, then Amazon should sell the Kindle Fire HD for FREE!

• Reply 35 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

If you can't turn off the ads, then Amazon should sell the Kindle Fire HD for FREE!

You will likely have to pay extra to remove the ads... lol

• Reply 36 of 146
    allenbf wrote: »
    Who are these people you speak of, Jeff?  The ones who don't want gadgets?

I admire Jeff Bezos, he's a great entrepreneur.  But he's out of his league on this, I'm afraid.

But, what if he is right?

What if, instead of bombarding you with random ads, the OS and Amazon's servers could monitor your current interests and show you only [mostly] ads of interest -- helping [serving] you rather than spamming you?

Amazon's web site already tracks your interests, reminds you of them, and suggests other items that may be of interest to you.

Done properly, this could work as a personal shopper's assistant... Rather than a carnival barker!
  • Reply 37 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Gadgets subsidized with ads is relatively new, but ad subsidized products and services that are not new. Magazines, newspapers, cable & satellite TV come to mind. You pay for the product or service, and you still pay by ad exposure.
  • Reply 38 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I knew there was something fishy about this product. I wonder if the ads are sent to your device using up your data plan when on cellular.

Or perhaps pre-loaded in RAM or pre-designated storage space for the "OS". Either way, it's wasting what you've paid too little for.

• Reply 39 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Wow, what an amazing feature! My iPad 3 doesn't have that! I'm fuming mad right about now! I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Every time that I go to the lock screen of my iPad, I always think to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful if there were ads popping up here? Why didn't Apple think of that? Apple really needs to start innovating before all of these innovative Android tablets come up with more and more great ideas.

Who the hell wants ads on their damn hardware devices? I mean, how poor do people have to be to be willing to put up with ads on hardware in order to save a buck or two on the device?

What's next for Android and Amazon tablets? I know, in addition to the ads, if you are willing to sign a contract and whore out your sister for 3 months, you will save 50% on the price of the tablet. Hurry up, before this special time limited offer expires. I've said that this before, but Android's demographic is clearly comprised of bums and cheap people.

• Reply 40 of 146

Except trolls DO do that. Citing one's sources on prompting or otherwise is a sign of intelligence and accuracy. What you're doing here, even though you 'took the time' to explain 'searching', is laziness.