Lock & home screen ads aid Amazon's aggressive pricing of Kindle Fire HD

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But, what if he is right?

What if, instead of bombarding you with random ads, the OS and Amazon's servers could monitor your current interests and show you only [mostly] ads of interest -- helping [serving] you rather than spamming you?

Amazon's web site already tracks your interests, reminds you of them, and suggests other items that may be of interest to you.

Done properly, this could work as a personal shopper's assistant... Rather than a carnival barker!

I dont want advertisers to know what i'm doing. It's none of their business.

• Reply 42 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

No its called citing your sources to defend your argument.  I think you learn this concept in about grade 9.

Yes, because I am currently writing a dissertation that includes a detailed cost benefit analaysis of the Ad supported kindle vs the ad free kinde...  Oh wait, Im not doing that, I am posting in a forum.  But your right, I guess going forward we need to implement a quotation system for AI.  My preferred method is footnotes, but maybe AI will implement a standard citation system...

• Reply 43 of 146
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member

Sure, we'll sell you an ad-free version, but it will cost you the same as an iPad.

• Reply 44 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THAT'S what it says! Thanks; I couldn't remember. 

I love that it's listed like a positive, but that point aside it IS a feature. Of course, exploding fuel tanks have been 'features' of a number of cars, just not something you'd expect to see advertised either!

• Reply 45 of 146

Quote:

What if, instead of bombarding you with random ads, the OS and Amazon's servers could monitor your current interests and show you only [mostly] ads of interest -- helping [serving] you rather than spamming you?

Amazon's web site already tracks your interests, reminds you of them, and suggests other items that may be of interest to you.

Done properly, this could work as a personal shopper's assistant... Rather than a carnival barker!

I've always found ads invasive and annoying - no matter the product. I hate them in apps, on Pandora, on Hulu Plus, cable tv, on satellite radio, regular radio, and while iads aren't invasive, they still suck. I know my interests, I don't need anybody to track them or remind me of them. Of course, I'm just one person... maybe others would love that.

• Reply 46 of 146

Quote:

Honestly, to me it's more about the non-disclosure during his keynote.  If he's going to include ads, he should have disclosed that, thus explaining the relatively low cost of the Fire HD.  Now they're scrambling to find a way to deactivate the ads, and they'll probably charge for that "upgrade."

It's just poor business.

Maybe someone just forgot to put up his "One more thing" slide on the teleprompter? ;-)

Also, just to add, this should really highlight what a great job Apple does on managing its supply chain, and costs/margins.  If an unsubsidized Fire HD would be around $600-$700, this really underscores the value of the iPad.

• Reply 47 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

This whole "link?" trend really needs to stop.  Its not like I am quoting some crazy statistic.  If you want a link, here is what you do. 

1.  Go to google, or bing, or yahoo, or altavista(are they even around anymore)

2.  Type in Kindle fire HD remove advertising

3.  Hit Go, Search, Bing, or whatever search button terminology the site uses

4.  Bunch of links magically appear. 

Since that is too difficult and I obviously love to make up stuff that could very easily be proven true/false by following the above steps, here is a link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/

Let me know if you need more links....

How useful would Apple Insider be if it posted articles but never sourced the information or provided links?

Please think before you post.

• Reply 48 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I've always found ads invasive and annoying - no matter the product. 

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all normal people find ads to be unwanted and annoying.

The only ads that I can understand are if they exist in something that is 100% free, like a free app. You can't really complain about something when it's free.

Though, I will say that I have paid for a few apps where I've seen ads. That is simply unacceptable, IMO. And those companies should think twice about doing that again.

• Reply 49 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Yes, because I am currently writing a dissertation that includes a detailed cost benefit analaysis of the Ad supported kindle vs the ad free kinde...  Oh wait, Im not doing that, I am posting in a forum.  But your right, I guess going forward we need to implement a quotation system for AI.  My preferred method is footnotes, but maybe AI will implement a standard citation system...

Don't have a tantrum. If you don't want to post a link, then don't. I didn't find it unreasonable that another poster asked you to produce one, but apparently you did.

• Reply 50 of 146
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Here's my prediction.  It's going to go the way Cable TV has gone.  In the next 5 years we'll see this sale strategy make it's way around the various tablet and PC companies (except for Apple).

Then it will be just generally accepted that Ads will be part of the user experience...just like cable.  In the early days of cable we paid money to watch commercial-free broadcasting.  That's why we paid for it.  Now you pay money for what?  just expanded programming, and you pay a LOT for it.  That's why pirating is such a huge thing.  It's easy and it's free.

Apple got it right with the iTunes store.  Offer a price-point that people would be stupid not to pay, and a service that's easy as pie, and they'll go for it.

The rest of the world's strategy: we'll give you what you want, but it's going to hurt a little, and you still have to pay for it.

Another great example of the future of mobile computing (tablet or otherwise).  Look at Dwell Magazine.

The first 4 years it came out, it was a 100+ page leaflet with brilliant articles and excellent photography.

Wins April 2005 National Magazine Award for General Excellence in the 100,000-to-250,000 circulation category.

Oct/Nov. 2005 issue...turned a new leaf towards ads and creates the same magazine, but with double the ads (in total a 250+ page tome) with the same amount of content as before.

Wins March 2006 Adweek 2006 Creative Team of the Year award.

Today, they reduced the issues back to the 100+ mark, but now have a better balance of ads and content.  However, the content is no better than any other design magazines found in the check-out line.

• Reply 51 of 146
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member

Quote:

Don't have a tantrum. If you don't want to post a link, then don't. I didn't find it unreasonable that another poster asked you to produce one, but apparently you did.

The ironic part is that all the effort the poster made to explain why he didn't post the link, responding back and forth, he could/should have just made his first post with a link to prove his claim and be done with it.

• Reply 52 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

The funny thing is that although the article link says amazon_confirms_... They really didn't confirm much of anything. They only said they will make an announcement soon. image

• Reply 53 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Here I thought you were smart Jeff, people want both, people always want both.  

Looks like an incomplete quote.

• Reply 54 of 146
    jungmark wrote: »

I dont want advertisers to know what i'm doing. It's none of their business.

There is no reason that the advertiser's need to know what you, as an individual, are doing -- rather they can be provided with aggregate statistics.

Consider that Amazon, as a seller, already tracks your purchases and searches from Amazon-owned sites.

Amazon can display ads that might be of interest to you... Yet only provide aggregate statistics to the advertiser.

It becomes a little murky though, when a site like Amazon, is the seller, tracker and advertiser.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Obviously all the ad money can now go direct to Apple.

Surely they own the lock.
  • Reply 56 of 146
    maestro64 wrote: »
    We all know someone will come up with a hack to allow the removal of all the ads, if they can hack the iphone with all the smart apple engineers who have failed to stop it, you know Amazon bright crews will be no match for the hackers. 

I will make this prediction, if the hackers do not come up a no ad solution, that just tells you it was not worth their time since not enough people are even interested in the product.

It'll get rooted for sure and if the AdFree app doesn't work I'm sure a way to block the ads will be found.
  • Reply 57 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Who are these people you speak of, Jeff?  The ones who don't want gadgets?

I admire Jeff Bezos, he's a great entrepreneur.  But he's out of his league on this, I'm afraid.

No, he's speaking of the older demographic, the 40's and up, which are a huge part of Amazon's business. They mostly don't care about brand or device names and such, they just want to be able to watch Netflix on it, or a listen to music, or read a book. They are looking for access to services and functionality, and the brand and device names all fall away in their minds. In fact, most could give less than a damn about any of that as long as something does what they want it to do, that's all they care about. So if they can get movies, books, Netflix, etc on a $199 Kindle Fire versus a $499 iPad, that's what they are going to buy, because all they care about are those services, not the shiny box it comes in.

You can disagree with that all you want, but it is a valid and actual mindset of many consumers. If it weren't, the Fire would have been pulled from the shelves instead of receiving the major update it just did.

As for Ads, who cares? Ads pop up all over the place these days, especially on mobile devices that don't have adblock software like full fledged computers. Do any of you even notice them anymore, aside from the truly obnoxious ones with the flashing words or weird animations? My current Kindle has ads right now, and I stopped seeing them a long time ago, as that is the way the mind works. If it lowers the buy in cost to a level more people can accept, really, who cares about some ads?

• Reply 58 of 146
    The advertisements throughout Kindle's OS are advertised as a feature on Best Buy shelves.

A feature:lol:

Edit: All right, Just_Me, if this is trolling, care to show pictures of Best Buy cards that don't show this? Or perhaps an intelligent, sourced argument as to why OS-level advertisements that cannot be removed or hidden are good? I'm willing to be shown that I'm wrong in not wanting to be spammed while using a device, and I'm willing to be shown that I'm wrong in wanting a device, too, but the latter will take some serious work. Amazon's deluded as all get out.

You seem surprised. You shouldn't be, after all, Android-based smartphone manufacturers have attempted for years to convince consumers that product issues were features:

• HDMI (No AirPlay)
    • Massive amounts of RAM (to improve performance of poorly designed OS)
    • Micro SD cards (couldn't purchase enough NAND)
    • Overclocked CPUs (to improve performance of poorly designed OS)
    • Oversaturated, oversized displays (to distract from poor quality display)
    • Removable Battery (to reset the device when it crashes or locks)
    • Task Manager (to manage poor battery and memory performance)
    • USB (No AirDrop or AirPlay or excellent synching application)
  • Reply 59 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

My current Kindle has ads right now, and I stopped seeing them a long time ago, as that is the way the mind works. If it lowers the buy in cost to a level more people can accept, really, who cares about some ads?

Just because you've blocked them out of your mind, that doesn't change the reality of things. They're still there and people will notice them. Victims of brutal crimes, like assault, armed robbery and rape do sometimes try and block the incident from their mind, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

• Reply 60 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

So if they can get movies, books, Netflix, etc on a $199 Kindle Fire versus a $499 iPad, that's what they are going to buy, because all they care about are those services, not the shiny box it comes in.

I think that you underestimate the so called over 40 crowd, which you claim to know about. Plenty of older people use Apple's devices, and just because somebody is over 40, that doesn't mean that their senses, such as sight and feel, are not functioning anymore. I bet that even an average 80 year old person can tell the difference between the super fluid iPad and non responsive Android tablets.