Lock & home screen ads aid Amazon's aggressive pricing of Kindle Fire HD

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146

Now that I am finding the level to which advertising is integrated it certainly makes the thing less compelling to me.

I certainly know some people won't find out about the ads until they've ran out and grabbed one for $199 thinking it was a steal.  Then they'll complain about the ads.

• Reply 82 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    The whole point is to 'not pay' for advertising, which is how the cable and sattelite industry screwed the nation. The idea is to get the content cheap and have the advertisers pay for all or most of it. It worked for years on over the air television and radio and it is a good model. It costs a lot of money to generate that content, and they should be paid, let the advertisers pay for it. Good business!

But remember the networks broadcast ota. Cable companies have to maintain a infrastructure. Yes advertisements pay for the content but getting that content to you is an additional cost.
  • Reply 83 of 146
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152391/lock-home-screen-ads-aid-amazons-aggressive-pricing-of-kindle-fire-hd/40#post_2184702"]
    I have to disagree with you on cable tv. The best series being made today are all produced by cable channels. Network TV is crap in comparison.

Walking Dead, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Hell on Wheels, Deadwood, Curb your Enthusiasm, Breaking Bad, The Wire and countless others...........

dasanman69 wrote: »
    I see that you like me can't do without HBO and AMC, and you forgot Game of Thrones.

I cut the cord and still have access to virtually every excellent television show without commercials for $7.99 per month via Netflix. For those very few television shows I want to see the next day I simply purchase from iTunes.

How many people realize that even mid-sized markets (Des Moines, IA or Little Rock, AR for example) offer a dozen or more channels over-the-air now?
  • Reply 84 of 146

And here I thought that Amazon was actually interested in the User Experience. 

EDIT:

Ok, I'm too smart to think that, but Amazon has had every *opportunity* to prove me wrong.  

• Reply 85 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I see that you like me can't do without HBO and AMC, and you forgot Game of Thrones.

Damn, how could I have missed Game of Thrones? I love that series.

Unfortunately, Game of Thrones doesn't return until March 31, 2013!

• Reply 86 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I cut the cord and still have access to virtually every excellent television show without commercials for $7.99 per month via Netflix. For those very few television shows I want to see the next day I simply purchase from iTunes.

How many people realize that even mid-sized markets (Des Moines, IA or Little Rock, AR for example) offer a dozen or more channels over-the-air now?

Netflix is alright too, I've been a subscriber for years. Netflix does have some decent stuff, but there are certain things that are not on Netflix at all, such as HBO series. The HBO GO app works very nicely on iPad, so does Cinemax GO.

• Reply 87 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

They have been selling service driven gadgets for 10 years. It is entirely possible he knows more than you.

Edit: Ok it was 5 years not 10. They still have some experience.

And you missed my point, but thanks for trying.  

• Reply 88 of 146
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152391/lock-home-screen-ads-aid-amazons-aggressive-pricing-of-kindle-fire-hd/80#post_2184722"]Netflix is alright too, I've been a subscriber for years. Netflix does have some decent stuff, but there are certain things that are not on Netflix at all, such as HBO series. The HBO GO app works very nicely on iPad, so does Cinemax GO.

Netflix DVD

While you may wait a year, there are not advertisements and the cost per month is similar to HBO with a much larger selection. The only channel of which I am aware that doesn't provide any programming to Amazon Instant or iTunes is CBS.

I will probably drop most of the few television shows I watch on iTunes as well. There are much more engaging activities.

I do miss cable news though.
  • Reply 89 of 146
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Maybe Samsung will feel inspired to use the idea. I can only hope.

Well, now that you've referred to it as an "idea", I think its a lock...

• Reply 90 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I do miss cable news though.

News and Sports are the only reason I haven't cut the cable(well, on demand is nice too, but that more was more or less a response to online content anyways).  Everything else is more convenient to either watch online or wait for the DVD's

• Reply 91 of 146

Maybe there won't be any iPad mini after all. Just imagine it would sell for 299 USD with 1024x768 resolution and 16 GB storage. Who will buy it?

• Reply 92 of 146
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud30000 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Its already been confirmed that the advertising can be removed on these new kindles, so it really isn't a big deal...

Link?

The new Kindle Paperwhites (refers to screen technology, not color) can still be purchased without ads, like all the older Kindles, for a higher price,

but on the *new* Fire models, it isn't optional.  

They display full screen when you "sleep" (or "lock") the gadget, and in a lower screen corner when the gadget is in use...

• Reply 93 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

Maybe there won't be any iPad mini after all. Just imagine it would sell for 299 USD with 1024x768 resolution and 16 GB storage. Who will buy it?

Lots of people.

Moving on.

• Reply 94 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But remember the networks broadcast ota. Cable companies have to maintain a infrastructure. Yes advertisements pay for the content but getting that content to you is an additional cost.

That's a good point, but still I think we're overpaying them for their infrastructure, especially since they 'bundle' a bunch of useless crap in their channels. While it 'work's for them, I think they are holding back the technology that allows you to get what you want with a more  ala carte type of purchase. I think that is the kind of thing Steve Jobs wanted to break, but iTunes and Apple TV alone will rarely generate the kind of revenue needed to produce quality TV shows. Maybe with a little ad revenue, they would be closer to approaching that kind of revenue even if it is streamed as opposed to sold. I think the internet is going to surplant their infrastructure. What I imagine will happen is that content creators will find a way through the web to get what they need. Already comedians are selling concerts for $5 and generating profitable revenues and then getting more from cable/OTA as a second level kind of thing. Let someone produce a drama or sitcom that way and then it will really be on. 

• Reply 95 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

The new Kindle Paperwhites (refers to screen technology, not color) can still be purchased without ads, like all the older Kindles, for a higher price,

but on the *new* Fire models, it isn't optional.  

They display full screen when you "sleep" (or "lock") the gadget, and in a lower screen corner when the gadget is in use...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/

I have seen the error of my ways

• Reply 96 of 146
    And no doubt these adverts will be rendered using your puny annual data cap. A data plan for suckers.
  • Reply 97 of 146

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

And no doubt these adverts will be rendered using your puny annual data cap. A data plan for suckers.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that… 

• Reply 98 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    bigpics wrote: »
    PS:  Still, I see many in this Apple-centric crowd underestimating Amazon.  Don't discount the Bezos.  People say the company doesn't "make money," but the stock's up over 12,0000% since the years ago IPO.  Somebody's doing something right.  And Amazon may yet prove the most formidable competitor to AAPL in the tablet space.  

Amazon's EPS is crap though. Their margins do not justify their share price. High share price without fundamental numbers to back it up is what the lay people call a bubble. Keep in mind they have yet to give any figures at all on their Kindle division. They keep talking about the high sales volumes of Kindles, but they don't give any actual figures numbers, which sounds very 1999 bubble to me.

baka-dubbs wrote: »

We'll see. The response they quote doesn't say what the article says. At best, the letter says they'll think about it.

markbyrn wrote: »

That data plan is better than what AT&T offers. Theirs is $15/mo for 250MB, which is $180/yr, Amazon's data plan is $50 for the year on a similar amount of data per month. Still images don't consume much data, banner ads are often 10-20k.
  • Reply 99 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Yes, because I am currently writing a dissertation that includes a detailed cost benefit analaysis of the Ad supported kindle vs the ad free kinde...  Oh wait, Im not doing that, I am posting in a forum.  But your right, I guess going forward we need to implement a quotation system for AI.  My preferred method is footnotes, but maybe AI will implement a standard citation system...

Another reason to take your posts seriously, I guess.

• Reply 100 of 146
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    allenbf wrote: »
    And you missed my point, but thanks for trying.  

Fascinating response. You said.

allenbf wrote: »
    Who are these people you speak of, Jeff?  The ones who don't want gadgets?

I admire Jeff Bezos, he's a great entrepreneur.  But he's out of his league on this, I'm afraid.

You believe he is out of his league because he thinks consumers want devices that deliver services and not just devices that are devices. Maybe you had no point. I said he has quite a bit of experience figuring out what consumers want. I also suggested he was in a much better position than you were to know that.

What part of my response missed the point? There are maybe 5 people in the world that are likely to know as much as he does about what consumers want. If you think I missed the point, you should clarify it. How is he out of his league? What do you know that consumers don't? If you actually heard his statement you would realize it could have just as easily been uttered by Steve Jobs.

Perhaps you missed his point.