Google debuts standalone YouTube app ahead of iOS 6 launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming one day before Apple is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone running iOS 6, which will no longer include a built-in version of YouTube, Google on Tuesday rolled out a standalone version of the app giving iPhone and iPod touch users access to the ubiquitous online video sharing portal. Apple's iPad is not yet supported.

The move is meant to maintain Google's presence in iOS after Apple announced in August that it would no longer be distributing YouTube as part of the base set of apps pre-installed on iDevices.

YouTube App
Source: YouTube

Google added a number of features borrowed from both the native Android app and the mobile web browser version, including a YouTube channel guide and more robust sharing options through Facebook, Google+, email and more.

width=
Source: officialpsy YouTube channel

Search results have also been expanded to include "tens of thousands more videos" not offered by the comparatively bare-boned app currently shipping with iOS 5. The app's interface has also changed, being more akin to what see in the mobile web browser client, except with fast gesture-based controls.

Landscape

Because the new app is built in-house by YouTube, it is no longer subject to Apple-enforced restrictions, meaning ads are now fair game.

As of this writing, the YouTube app is built for iPhone and iPod touch, though Google said it is working on a version optimized for the iPad to be released "in the coming months."

Google's new YouTube app weighs in at 7.5 MB and can be found in the App Store as a free download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52

w00t... this is a good thing!  Thank you goog, even though you are generally evil.

• Reply 2 of 52
    The HTML 5 version is better anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 52

it doesn't play in the background! basic shit.

• Reply 4 of 52

Deleted.

• Reply 5 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Deleted.

That's the beautiful thing about the new app... you CAN actually delete it!

• Reply 6 of 52
    The Apple version wasn't perfect but there was so much right about it. This is just terrible! It looks horrible on the iPad as well. Between this and the lack of street view it's enough not to make me want to download ios6!!
  • Reply 7 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    bemmer wrote: »
    The Apple version wasn't perfect but there was so much right about it. This is just terrible! It looks horrible on the iPad as well. Between this and the lack of street view it's enough not to make me want to download ios6!!

Ya- no street view sucks. But have you tried this YouTube app? I like it better- more features for sure. I always found the apple version a little too limited.

I wish most apps were deletable and redownloadable. What I would give to delete newsstand.....

More options and a little more custom ability is a good thing. You'll get your street view with a google maps app. And guess what- it'll have more features than the map app has now.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    I refuse to install any more Google related items after I found out Google has patented a way to let all online vendors know if you would pay up to four times more for a product then the next guy.

Basically Google is now using their intimate knowledge of each and every Google user and what we may need or want against us.

http://search.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1738235/google-patents-profit-maximizing-dynamic-pricing

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8312/7940635514_2d1a02ec6b_z.jpg

This is the ultimate in a disturbing pattern of evil from those who saw no problem with ripping off their friend and associate Steve Jobs. Now they are ripping off all former loyal Google fans too.

For many of us, enough is enough! We do not care if Google goes out of business tomorrow.

• Reply 9 of 52
    andysol wrote: »
    Ya- no street view sucks. But have you tried this YouTube app? I like it better- more features for sure. I always found the apple version a little too limited.
    I wish most apps were deletable and redownloadable. What I would give to delete newsstand.....
    More options and a little more custom ability is a good thing. You'll get your street view with a google maps app. And guess what- it'll have more features than the map app has now.

That's quite funny, because that's the thing I hate about the app! It's too limited. Where's the history section? I shouldn't have to re-search a video if I watched another one. It's also lacking the percentage, which is good if you're looking for a clip, there's a few and can help you choose between a dud or not

Though I agree that it's good to have a deleteable app and yes, I think everyone would like to delete newsstand! Fingers crossed Google releases a Map ASAP
  • Reply 10 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

I refuse to install any more Google related items after I found out Google has patented a way to let all online vendors know if you would pay up to four times more for a product then the next guy.

You have a pathetically bad understanding of what that patent is about. You may want to read it for yourself instead of pointing to a link on slashdot that didn't seem to understand it either.

-kpluck

• Reply 11 of 52
    bemmer wrote: »

Well they are still working on the dedicated iPad app.
  • Reply 12 of 52

May as well try this app; it doesn't cost anything. I'm sure that History and other features will be added eventually.

Street View will make its way back to iOS 6 in a seperate Google app. Meanwhile, you have the superior vector-based 3D overhead view of Apple's native Maps app.

• Reply 13 of 52
    Installed it and the first thing my wife said was "It looks like Facebook."
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Wow, Google fails to deliver web proxy and authentication support again. Plus it's not even a Universal app. Who have they got doing this development!?! Major amateur.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

... It looks horrible on the iPad as well. ...

Tell me how this is a valid point since an iPad version is not even available yet and was specifically pointed out in the article?

• Reply 16 of 52
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Thanks to you I discovered that Gangnam guy. Thank you!
  • Reply 17 of 52
    4phun wrote: »
    Basically Google is now using their intimate knowledge of each and every Google user and what we may need or want against us.
    http://search.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1738235/google-patents-profit-maximizing-dynamic-pricing
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8312/7940635514_2d1a02ec6b_z.jpg
    This is the ultimate in a disturbing pattern of evil from those who saw no problem with ripping off their friend and associate Steve Jobs. Now they are ripping off all former loyal Google fans too.
    For many of us, enough is enough! We do not care if Google goes out of business tomorrow.

And Apple patented a way to disable your phone at "police request" or whatever,,,,therefore what?
  • Reply 18 of 52

Any idea when iOS 6 will actually roll out?  I'm sure they'll let us know tomorrow.. I'm hoping soon... like tomorrow! 

• Reply 19 of 52
    macvertigo wrote: »
    Any idea when iOS 6 will actually roll out?  I'm sure they'll let us know tomorrow.. I'm hoping soon... like tomorrow! 

hasn't the usual rollout been within a week of the next iPhone announcement?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Tell me how this is a valid point since an iPad version is not even available yet and was specifically pointed out in the article?

Because of the fact that there isn't an iPad version. If the iOS 6 is being launched soon minus YouTube and there's no iPad version then the only way to have a YouTube app is to have the iPhone version, which looks terrible on the iPad... So yeah, it sort of is a valid point.