Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117

You think this is bad. Wait until tomorrow when AI's reporting gets linked. Then the trolls will pile on.

• Reply 102 of 117

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You think this is bad. Wait until tomorrow when AI's reporting gets linked. Then the trolls will pile on.

Wait, they don't otherwise? image

I really want to issue infractions for all posts tomorrow that include "That's it?", "stale", "boring", "lost its luster", "already know", and all other variants thereof, but alas, that's not happening. image Just gonna have to deal with them.

• Reply 103 of 117
    evertith wrote: »
    Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

You're not quite understanding how it all works. It's complicated, Let me explain some of thing things that I have read.

In an app such as Twitter or Facebook, where posts are displayed within a "GUI frame". In these apps, all the navigation buttons will all remain the same size and same code. The top and bottom of the "GUI frame" stay the exact same. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if the sides of apps need to be coded or if iOS frameworks do it automatically?

Whoops, scratch that about Facebook, there are no sides to the "GUI frame", not sure about Twitter since I haven't used it on an iPhone.

But let's use FaceBook as the most simple example.

Facebook app on the iPhone contains a top navigation bar, and no side or bottom, at least on my version.

The content on screen is a feed or "scrolling list" which Facebook app has already loaded. The only difference between any current iPhone and the presumed iPhone 5, is that the user gets to see more of that list on screen at once. This is easily handled by iOS and will require little or no changes by the app developer.

Games and other apps may need modification.

Simple apps that use the same GUI design concepts as FaceBook, Twitter, Kindle, Instapaper, and many others will require little or no alteration to display their content correctly in their current releases and the new iPhone. 

The TLDR

It's nothing like Android fragmentation

The iPhone 5 only will change in pixel height/vertical, making adapting current apps easy or a non issue. GUI buttons stay the same, don't need to be resized.

Of course many apps will be updated to take advantage of new APIs in iOS 6. That happens on on every good OS, when a new version of the OS is released.

Apps with more complex and custom GUIs will take more effort. Games?

Most of the apps that I use, are designed like Facebook (scrolling lists), and will need little alteration. Maybe tweeking and recompiling in Xcode for iOS 6, if the dev doesn't want to add any new features. They might work perfectly in their current release.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    All those comments and articles from JP Morgan are just to push the Apple stocks.
    There are nothing explaining why, they just make an "analysis report" to looking for move the stocks.

In your world, should we acknowledge that in the last financial quarter, Apple made more profit in 2 hours than Amazon made in the whole quarter? Why is Amazon's P/E astronomical compared to Apple's? Enlighten me please wise one.

I guess you didn't read the 40 page PDF that I got yesterday from JP Morgan.

I don't want to be a jerk, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

That 40 page report covers much more than just Apple. It analyzes Apple's component suppliers, and their competition. It analyzes wireless growth, LTE expansion in the US and internationally. etc....

40 pages of analysis, which sometimes I can do more thoroughly, but you haven't even tried bc you haven't read the report....

I'm a jerk, and you know nothing about what you speak.
  • Reply 105 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

We can switch phones every year.

We can switch carriers, even to t-mobile soon.

Well, why would one do that? Cause they all produce sucky products?

lol, this is why I come to AI, to get a good laugh. Really? You're answer to him is "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else"? You folks here in AI take fanboyism to a whole different level.

• Reply 106 of 117
    I'm buying next iPhone, and so given my budget I'm not renewing my iMac. Does that "impact PC sales"?
  • Reply 107 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

"Some" folks here in AI take Apple/Android fanboyism to a whole different level.

Fixed it for you.

• Reply 108 of 117

iphone-5case.com is an online store to provide you all kinds of iphone5 products, including [url=http://iphone-5case.com/]iphone 5 hot cases[/url]?[url=http://www.iphone-5case.com/iphone-5-accessories-c-6.html]new iphone5 accessories[/url], etc. Iphone5 cases of multi-color ,elegant style, attractive appearance, eco-friendly low price and good quality.

• Reply 109 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

lol, this is why I come to AI, to get a good laugh. Really? You're answer to him is "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else"? You folks here in AI take fanboyism to a whole different level.

Here's the problem with your objection: The truth is biased.

Yes, that's right. I'm sure it will come as a shock to many, but the truth is not fair and balanced. No, in fact, the truth is extremely biased in favor of the way things are. That's right, there's no use pretending that, "they are many companies out there making fine products," there aren't. Most of them are making crap. Some make worse crap than others, but it's still crap.

Who is making better desktops and laptops than Apple? Cheaper maybe, more tricked out perhaps, but in terms of build quality and features (which includes the OS features and integration with other devices) no one is making better computers. Customer satisfaction surveys confirm this.

Who is making better phones than Apple? No one, and again, customer satisfaction surveys confirm this.

Who is making better tablets than Apple? No one. This isn't even a serious question. There is no tablet market, just an iPad market.

Who is making a better package of all these items working together? No one.

Oh, sure, I bet if you dig deep into their accessory collection you'll find some stuff where someone makes something better. But for the headline products, the truth is heavily biased toward the proposition that, "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else." The truth is a real bitch about stuff like this.

So, if not denying the truth is taking, "fanboyism to a whole different level," well, I can live with that.

• Reply 110 of 117

I'm waiting for the myriad of "Steve would have never let this happen if he were there" posts. They're so old and cliche now that its just funny...sad...but funny...that there are a lot of people here who knew the man so well that they can say what he would or wouldn't do. I have a very good feeling that the iPhone 5/New iPhone will be one of the things he would not have let out of the studio...or go beyond a napkin sketch on a designer's lunch break. This will likely be true even if the product ends up being amazing on all fronts...there will still be people who just won't like it cause Steve isn't around for it.

We'll soon see! 

• Reply 111 of 117
    I'm waiting for the myriad of "Steve would have never let this happen if he were there" posts. They're so old and cliche now that its just funny...sad...but funny...that there are a lot of people here who knew the man so well that they can say what he would or wouldn't do. I have a very good feeling that the iPhone 5/New iPhone will be one of the things he would not have let out of the studio...or go beyond a napkin sketch on a designer's lunch break. This will likely be true even if the product ends up being amazing on all fronts...there will still be people who just won't like it cause Steve isn't around for it.

We'll soon see! 

Wait, you can't have it both ways. You got upset with me and the article I linked because people were anticipating being let down and you thought they should "quit whining" until they see it. Now you're complainging about what people "might" say once it is released. Could it be you really just can't stand anyone saying anything negative about Apple?
  • Reply 112 of 117

Right, because anyone who says anything critical about Apple is a troll. Unbelievable.
  • Reply 113 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Agreed. And that is how I am...I'm hoping to be surprised.

Oh well, no surprises.  It's exactly as it was in the leaks. I wonder if NOW we're allowed to have an opinion on it ;)  Probably not.

• Reply 114 of 117

Oh well, no surprises.

What's your problem? Not only are you fundamentally incorrect, you're still making things up, this time not about Apple. 

• Reply 115 of 117

Quote:

Wait, you can't have it both ways. You got upset with me and the article I linked because people were anticipating being let down and you thought they should "quit whining" until they see it. Now you're complainging about what people "might" say once it is released. Could it be you really just can't stand anyone saying anything negative about Apple?

Could it be that you just don't get it? I told you to be disappointed once you saw the actual device. Now that you have seen it...guess what?! You can now have a real opinion about it! You have seen it...and it's exactly like what we've seen in the rumors and mock-ups! It exists now for public consumption! You don't like it? Wonderful. I do not care what you say about Apple. You don't like the iPhone 5? Thats fantastic. Go to Cupertino and tell Cook and Co to go screw themselves. Tell them you and millions of others are disappointed because it doesn't do what you want it to do...or look like what you want it to look like. Why is this so hard to understand? I have asked that question like...I don't even know how many times. I don't care if you are critical of Apple...just be critical of the actual products. Not rumors.

What I said about the people posting about what Steve would have done was said because it's ridiculous to state that they could even possibly have any inside knowledge on what Steve would have done. Nobody knows what Steve would have done. I bet his closest friends at Apple wouldn't know exactly what he would have done. Get over yourself. Ok? It was ridiculous to be disappointed over rumors and mock-ups and it's ridiculous to claim some kind of inner knowledge to what Steve would have said or done. Could it be that you just want to pick some kind of fight now?  

Quote:

Oh well, no surprises.  It's exactly as it was in the leaks. I wonder if NOW we're allowed to have an opinion on it ;)  Probably not.

*Sigh*. Apparently what I've said is pretty hard to understand. That answers my question. Thank you.

• Reply 116 of 117

People are more likely to upgrade their iPhone, rather than their PC every year, than to buy a PC, it's not a lot cheaper.Today most of people use the iphone.Now iphone 5 is lunch.

• Reply 117 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your problem? Not only are you fundamentally incorrect, you're still making things up, this time not about Apple. 

What?  Pretty clear.  I was accused yesterday of whining before it was released (even though I prefaced all my statements) and that I should wait until it's released.  Well, it was released and it's exactly as the leaks showed. How is that making things up?  This has been really fun guys but I do have a job and I can't argue with you all day when you are so biased and keep talking in circles.