Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 281 of 392

Does anyone know how the bluetooth 4.0 works, I was surprised for the touch they said you could link it to your car's audio system, what cars allow for this?

• Reply 282 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

4. Of course not. You'll have to either wait two years or buy the unlocked version.

But AT&T offers free unlocking for iphones bought with a contract even with 2 years if you pay for the early termination fee. I was wondering if you can do this immediately after you purchase a locked iphone 4 or 4s, or would you have to wait for, say a month first...

• Reply 283 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentation and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

Well, Samsung et al have to leave enough space for their name and a phone company logo, so some space around the screen will remain.

• Reply 284 of 392
    "In addition to the existing HSPA network compatibility, the iPhone 5's new baseband chip brings DC-HSDPA support, allowing Apple to offer the handset over a more diverse set of carriers."

Except T-Mobile USA! : )

Poor T-Mo...
    /
    /
  • Reply 285 of 392

Quote:

That's another example of a lie.

Exactly

• Reply 286 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Precisely! The smartphone industry may be booming right now, but in terms of technology all the major "wow"ness has happened already. Now it's just about faster, clearer, better. Same thing happened in the CPU industry a few years ago. Huge jumps from 8086 to 286 to Pentium; FPUs, MMX/SSE, cache, etc; but now it's more about faster, smaller, less power consumption. Eventually revolutionary jumps just slow down. Not to say Apple won't have "wow"s to give ever again, just not every 12 months.

All the negativity is just haters and what I like to think of as faux fans. They have the fanaticism of a regular fanboy, but only when they can use it to make themselves feel superior to others. The kind of people that get iPhones or buy "Organic" because it's "in" and/or a fashion statement. Fair weather fans to be sure. (Freaking hipsters.)

As a whole, the iPhone 5 is an engineering achievement. Every component works well with each other, and integrates wonderfully with the whole Apple environment. It pushes the high standard of the 4S even further. I won't be buying one, but that's cause I'm cheap. image

(as for what would have wow'ed me... holograms!! And forget voice control, I want mental control. I'd wait all night in front of an Apple store for that.)

I tend to agree, and the criticisms are largely irrational or unrealistic. But, we go through this with the troll army every year. They live for these moments.

• Reply 287 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You have got it all wrong. The third version of the Galaxy Nexus, the one made for Sprint, was released in April. The LTE Galaxy Nexus was released in early December, 10 moths ago.

So they have ten month years where you live?

On which planet is that?

• Reply 288 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Hmmmmm.....that does change things.

That now means the AT&T phone is not a world phone, as advertised, Apple is not making one phone for all networks, as originally reported, and it may be to my advantage to move to verizon......however I will admit most of my time is spent in the US,A, and there in lies the rub......

I have been with AT&T since the iphone 3G (came back to them for the iPhone after dumping cingular to go to T-Mobile.....never again. Only Sprint has worse coverage) and will admit it is tempting to try another network......I can actually transfer my number over now......dammit. I thought I was all decided......

I need to figure out the coverage for Verizon in rural areas I may visit, such as Buckingham, VA......

It will probably still work on 3G, 3G+ etc outside the US.

• Reply 289 of 392
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Imagine how much it costs Samsung to pay people to pump negative contents about the iPhone 5 on websites like this. There is probably a whole department of worker drone people in Korea who do just this.
  • Reply 290 of 392
    (as for what would have wow'ed me... holograms!! And forget voice control, I want mental control. I'd wait all night in front of an Apple store for that.)

Okay, that would just be cool. And not just for awesome phone-ness, but also because it would have created some of the most entertaining discussions I've ever seen on the internet. I can just imagine some of the conspiracy theories that would begin to come about with that. "Apple is programming them to buy more of their products!"
  • Reply 291 of 392

Quote:

The iPhone 4S was the fastest cell phone in the world when it was released.

Don't you mean the 5th iPhone?

• Reply 292 of 392

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Don't you mean the 5th iPhone?

Of course. I imagine the 6th one is again the fastest, but we'll have to wait to see.

• Reply 293 of 392

As an outright purchase Galaxy S3 is more compelling than an iPhone 5

Galaxy S3 16GB + 64GB MicroSD card = AUD584

iPhone 5 64GB = AUD999

• Reply 294 of 392
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

iPhone 5 64GB = AUD999

Wasn't there originally an issue with where the apps could be stored on Android something like they could not be on the memory card. Has that been corrected?

I can see why you would be concerned about price. For the AUD dollar to be almost on par with USD stuff is expensive down under. I was speaking with a friend from Sydney and he was complaining of how you could barely eat lunch for less than $20.

• Reply 295 of 392

iPhone 5 64GB = AUD999

Depends on what your definition of "compelling" is. 

• Reply 296 of 392
    Just as I expected, stretched iPhone4 plus LTE :(. I hope I'll convince wife to accept it as Christmas gift. Nano look epic after fail generation. Touch is OK and that armband is very useful. Earbuds with noise canceling was great idea for the phone. I hope quality will not be as crappy as on classic earbuds. Out of 8 devices (iPads dont have in a box) I have only one survived pair of earbuds and replaced them with durable Sony. Adapter old2new connector for $29 omg. I don't see this as decadence of apple design though. Probably arms race on this market is over.
  • Reply 297 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    mstone wrote: »
    Wow we lucky or what? I think about 90% of the regular users would be gone by this point after that iPhone 5 naming insult fest.

But, nope!
  • Reply 298 of 392

Shit, Oh dear....

Those iOS 6 Maps airplanes have been busy...

I am thinking of doing a flyover of Libya...

• Reply 299 of 392
    Pity Apple cares so much for form over function.

Instead of 18% thinner and 20 gms lighter, if they halved those numbers and doubled battery life, that would be something.

Going through these comments makes one thing clear. No one cares for thinner or lighter beyond a point. I think 4S already was too thin.

Apple missed some serious wow by actually having a slightly thicker iPhone 5, double bettery life, and a much better camera (cos of increased space available).

Or maybe all of us on the tech blogs are not clued into what the real world wants, and somehow Apple got it right - but doesn't feel like that.
  • Reply 300 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Lol are you serious? I think that you are lucky that there are people who come to this site to talk. You are making it sound as if we owe you something.

Saying something without justifying yourself is precisely the behavior of a troll. Your sentence really sounds childish. 

Try saying that somewhere else, and you'll be gone as soon as your post hits.

We have a high tolerance for this here. Maybe too high.