Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 301 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    captain j wrote: »

This!!!!  No site that I know ejects people for disagreeing with a mod. At least no site with any members.  :lol:

It's not true. It depends on how you disagree. On Ars Technica, with some mods, just telling them they're wrong can get you ejected. Other sites can be worse.
  • Reply 302 of 392
    bregalad wrote: »
    Lots of little improvements, but nothing really exciting. Getting rather fed up with their pricing actually.

$199 gets you 16GB
    $299 gets you 32GB
    $399 gets you 64GB

I just picked up 16GB SD cards (Class 10) for $10 each. That's a fully marked up retail price not what Apple pays.

They are making an absolute killing on the 32 and 64 GB models.

You can't compare those cards. Try to buy a fast compact flash card. A 32Gb one can set you back by as much as $150.

There's always the assumption that the cheapest flash is being used in these devices. Why that happens, I don't understand, other than some people just don't like to believe that companies are giving us a decent deal.
  • Reply 303 of 392
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The profit margin on those higher capacity iPhones are over 60%, so they are indeed making a killing.

And you know this, how exactly?
  • Reply 304 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Depends on what your definition of "compelling" is. 

Value for money, bang for the buck, favorable cost-to-benefit ratio <insert favourite term>

• Reply 305 of 392
    hill60 wrote: »
    So how do you think it will stack up against the dual core processor in most of the US versions of the Galaxy S III?

There's no way to know yet. Anand thinks that it must be a dual core Cortex 15. But otherwise, no info on the GPU, none on the amount of RAM, none on the speed of the chip, etc.
    he did a hands on video that on his site, with a few shorter articles on the parts, and he was saying during the video that it was much faster, and smoother than the 4S. Also that the screen looked a lot nicer. But he couldn't do any testing of course.
  • Reply 306 of 392

Hoping turn-by-turn navigation is worth a damn.

I'm in the market for a new GPS and would like to "get one" with a simple install of iOS6.

Garmin, Tom Tom, et. al, should be nervous.

• Reply 307 of 392

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Value for money, bang for the buck, favorable cost-to-benefit ratio <insert favourite term>

Oh, okay. So the iPhone, then, since we're talking about value, which, in computer terms, means a very large number of things, all together, that cannot be individually ignored. 

• Reply 308 of 392
    Androids have been twice as fast as the 4S for the last year?

No. Some of the newest phones are a bit faster, but not by a huge amount. The one thing that kept the 4S in the race was the GPU, which even now, is much better than the ones on competing platforms. With Apple's OpenCL (submitted to, and accepted by the standards group on such things, and available in many places now) leveraging that really powerful GPU, the 4S has remained near the top of the charts of speed in most every area.

If this SoC is as powerful as Apple was saying, the 5 should be a fair amount faster. But I would love to know what the GPU is.
  • Reply 309 of 392

ok, here's my take:

1] industrial design, the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5 what the 2001 titanium powerbook G4 was to the '06 macbook Pro. sleeker, fewer lines, but the same design language. i'm fine with that. this phone is gorgeous. i hope the next few iPhones are just evolutions and not revolutions. Good design isn't about adding more bells and whistles; it's simple and elegant. As for the taller screen - YES. if i can't operate a phone with one hand [the SAME hand i'm holding the phone in] i don't want it. THIS is the heart of the design they were talking about. everyone else is operating under the mantra "if you can't make it better, make it bigger".

2] tech specs [or gigawhistles and megabells]: i don't really give a shit if it has an a6 or a cotex16 tampon running the thing, if everything it does happens "smooove", mission accomplished.

megapixels is a stupid way to measure picture quality. if i want to take really good pictures i have a Canon DSLR with some great glass. battery life is and always has been great. "retina display" is awesome, and i'm looking forward to seeing this in-cell screen in person. charging 100 bucks for a jump from 16 to 32GB pisses me off though.

3] "android phone features":

Inductive charging is great... IF you have a dozen inductive chargers all over your home, office, and car... so basically useless.

NFC is a cool way to have your everything stolen, and is actually useful in about NO places i've been. maybe someday, but not now.

Hyperdynamic animated background wallpaper: ahh there's nothing like having hampsterdance.com behind your icons on a 7" phablet.

3D phones? idiots. the tech available now is laughable, and everyone perceives 3d differently.

someone please tell me one USEFUL feature that another phone/os has that the iPhone 5 does not.

as for the iOS - it's the most enjoyable mobile os i've used [haven't used Metro], but it is feeling stagnant. WHY can't my icons tell me current info? widgets ran in osX 7 years ago on hardware 1/16th as powerful as the iPhone 5. Notifications are antiquated - i want to have updated info from any app far more accessible [more than just a number badge on an icon], and newer or more significant updates should take precedence in some way - larger, highlight, etc.

lastly i HOPE the new iTunes means i don't have ONE place on my Mac to go for media, but four [videos, music, itunes] on my phone - the whole store button in apps vs separate apps is clunky.  /rant

• Reply 310 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't compare those cards. Try to buy a fast compact flash card. A 32Gb one can set you back by as much as $150.

There's always the assumption that the cheapest flash is being used in these devices. Why that happens, I don't understand, other than some people just don't like to believe that companies are giving us a decent deal.

how much does a fast 32G chip cost when you're buying them in quantities of 25 million+ ?

• Reply 311 of 392
    kotatsu wrote: »
    The CPU is the most interesting aspect of this to me, actually, the only interesting aspect. If it really is a Cortex A15, that would represent a huge leap in power over the old A9, but Apple were only claiming a 2x improvement.  The GPU is surely the same quad core chip from the iPad 3, and not the far more powerful Power VR Rogue. That will surely surface in the iPad 4...

Shame about the lack of NFC and the tiny screen size, but at least there's plenty of interesting competition to buy from now.

This is one of the most interesting areas to discuss about the new phone.

The 4S has the A5 chip. The new iPad has the A5x. Now, normally, Apple has given the new iPhone the same SoC as the previous iPad. But that was when the iPhone came out in June/July. Now, near October, new phones are getting faster chips. So Apple comes out with the A6. The new number means an architectural change. As Anand says, from the claimed speed increase, it should be dual Cortex 15's.

But what did the new iPad have? It had the same CPU as the iPhone 4, but, as usual, speeded up to 1GHz, rather than the 800MHz the phone has had. But because of the large number of pixels it has to fling around, it got a much more powerful GPU. So does the new A6 have that GPU?

That's a really good question! The iPhone 5 has a much smaller number of pixels, and doesn't really need that gpu. It also makes the SoC suck more power. So even at 32nm, the SoC would use more power with it than otherwise.

But does that mean that Apple will go backwards with the GPU, particularly as Imagination has a much more powerful series in the wings, possibly slated for the newer iPad? Well, if the die shrink was very effective, then likely not. Possibly, this is also running at 1GHz, a first for the iPhone.

It boggles the mind!

The new iPad has a problem in that the CPU isn't powerful enough for some graphics rendering operations. That, along with memory channel speed, limits how fast the GPU can go. A faster CPU along would make the iPad faster in a number of graphics areas.

So where are we going with this? Possibly the next iPad will have an A6x, with the same CPU as now, but clocked higher, and an even more powerful GPU.

I can't think of any way else they could do it that would make sense.
  • Reply 312 of 392

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how do you think it will stack up against the dual core processor in most of the US versions of the Galaxy S III?

There's no way to know yet. Anand thinks that it must be a dual core Cortex 15. But otherwise, no info on the GPU, none on the amount of RAM, none on the speed of the chip, etc.

he did a hands on video that on his site, with a few shorter articles on the parts, and he was saying during the video that it was much faster, and smoother than the 4S. Also that the screen looked a lot nicer. But he couldn't do any testing of course.

Also, they were, likely, running the iOS6 GM (available today).  It seems much faster even on older iDevices.

• Reply 313 of 392

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The CPU is the most interesting aspect of this to me, actually, the only interesting aspect. If it really is a Cortex A15, that would represent a huge leap in power over the old A9, but Apple were only claiming a 2x improvement.  The GPU is surely the same quad core chip from the iPad 3, and not the far more powerful Power VR Rogue. That will surely surface in the iPad 4...

Shame about the lack of NFC and the tiny screen size, but at least there's plenty of interesting competition to buy from now.

This is one of the most interesting areas to discuss about the new phone.

The 4S has the A5 chip. The new iPad has the A5x. Now, normally, Apple has given the new iPhone the same SoC as the previous iPad. But that was when the iPhone came out in June/July. Now, near October, new phones are getting faster chips. So Apple comes out with the A6. The new number means an architectural change. As Anand says, from the claimed speed increase, it should be dual Cortex 15's.

But what did the new iPad have? It had the same CPU as the iPhone 4, but, as usual, speeded up to 1GHz, rather than the 800MHz the phone has had. But because of the large number of pixels it has to fling around, it got a much more powerful GPU. So does the new A6 have that GPU?

That's a really good question! The iPhone 5 has a much smaller number of pixels, and doesn't really need that gpu. It also makes the SoC suck more power. So even at 32nm, the SoC would use more power with it than otherwise.

But does that mean that Apple will go backwards with the GPU, particularly as Imagination has a much more powerful series in the wings, possibly slated for the newer iPad? Well, if the die shrink was very effective, then likely not. Possibly, this is also running at 1GHz, a first for the iPhone.

It boggles the mind!

The new iPad has a problem in that the CPU isn't powerful enough for some graphics rendering operations. That, along with memory channel speed, limits how fast the GPU can go. A faster CPU along would make the iPad faster in a number of graphics areas.

So where are we going with this? Possibly the next iPad will have an A6x, with the same CPU as now, but clocked higher, and an even more powerful GPU.

I can't think of any way else they could do it that would make sense.

The big question is when Apple can/will upgrade the iPad to A6 or A6X.

• Reply 314 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I must say the more the critters on the tech sites hate this phone the more I love it. Apple isn't designing for fandroids. Apple could have released a phone with the exact same screen size and specs as the Galaxy S III and the haters would still be bitching. One theme I'm seeing from the initial reviews is photos don't do it justice. You have to see it and hold it in your hand. One attendee referred to it as a fine piece of jewelry. Let th haters bitch about the smaller screen size. Me, I'll be loving how it fits comfortably in one hand and that I don't look like an idiot holding it up to my ear.
  • Reply 315 of 392
    Oh and another thing about the screen size, Apple mentiond several times in the keynote that they wanted it to be comfortable to hold in your hand. So the 4" screen is an intentional design decision, not a lack of innovation or laziness. Perhaps Apple has made the wrong bet here but I actually give them props for not following the herd. I just have this feeling a well built phone a world class mobile OS ans ecosystem will trump a larger screen.
  • Reply 316 of 392

Try Anandtech.com they do the best tests. Technical, and complete, with comparisons between phones. Most other sites are suspect.

Here's their 4S test last year. You can find tests from newer Android phones, as well as Windows phones. Just type in their site search box for the review you want, and if they don't it, it will show up.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon

The only other site that does a really good detailed, though not as technical review is ArsTechnica.com.
  • Reply 317 of 392
    macarena wrote: »
    Pity Apple cares so much for form over function.
    Instead of 18% thinner and 20 gms lighter, if they halved those numbers and doubled battery life, that would be something.
    Going through these comments makes one thing clear. No one cares for thinner or lighter beyond a point. I think 4S already was too thin.
    Apple missed some serious wow by actually having a slightly thicker iPhone 5, double bettery life, and a much better camera (cos of increased space available).
    Or maybe all of us on the tech blogs are not clued into what the real world wants, and somehow Apple got it right - but doesn't feel like that.
    It's funny to hear people complain about the phone being too thin when people bitched about the iPad being ever so slightly thinker and heavier. Seems people can't make up their minds what they want. :lol:
  • Reply 318 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by desarc View Post

ok, here's my take:

1] industrial design, the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5 what the 2001 titanium powerbook G4 was to the '06 macbook Pro. sleeker, fewer lines, but the same design language. i'm fine with that. this phone is gorgeous. i hope the next few iPhones are just evolutions and not revolutions. Good design isn't about adding more bells and whistles; it's simple and elegant. As for the taller screen - YES. if i can't operate a phone with one hand [the SAME hand i'm holding the phone in] i don't want it. THIS is the heart of the design they were talking about. everyone else is operating under the mantra "if you can't make it better, make it bigger".

2] tech specs [or gigawhistles and megabells]: i don't really give a shit if it has an a6 or a cotex16 tampon running the thing, if everything it does happens "smooove", mission accomplished.

megapixels is a stupid way to measure picture quality. if i want to take really good pictures i have a Canon DSLR with some great glass. battery life is and always has been great. "retina display" is awesome, and i'm looking forward to seeing this in-cell screen in person. charging 100 bucks for a jump from 16 to 32GB pisses me off though.

3] "android phone features":

Inductive charging is great... IF you have a dozen inductive chargers all over your home, office, and car... so basically useless.

NFC is a cool way to have your everything stolen, and is actually useful in about NO places i've been. maybe someday, but not now.

Hyperdynamic animated background wallpaper: ahh there's nothing like having hampsterdance.com behind your icons on a 7" phablet.

3D phones? idiots. the tech available now is laughable, and everyone perceives 3d differently.

someone please tell me one USEFUL feature that another phone/os has that the iPhone 5 does not.

as for the iOS - it's the most enjoyable mobile os i've used [haven't used Metro], but it is feeling stagnant. WHY can't my icons tell me current info? widgets ran in osX 7 years ago on hardware 1/16th as powerful as the iPhone 5. Notifications are antiquated - i want to have updated info from any app far more accessible [more than just a number badge on an icon], and newer or more significant updates should take precedence in some way - larger, highlight, etc.

lastly i HOPE the new iTunes means i don't have ONE place on my Mac to go for media, but four [videos, music, itunes] on my phone - the whole store button in apps vs separate apps is clunky.  /rant

I agree with most of this, and I compliment you for how you presented it.

Your last point is very significant -- the latest iOS version has, historically, been available on 3 generations of iPhones upon release.

This is far different from playing butt-crack bingo with Google, the OEMs, the Carriers and 3rd-party hackers to get a current release on an Android phone...  especially for the non-techie who just wants the phone to do what is promised.

• Reply 319 of 392
    Does anyone know how the bluetooth 4.0 works, I was surprised for the touch they said you could link it to your car's audio system, what cars allow for this?

We won't know all of this until iOS 6 comes out, at least on the 19th, and for sure until someone gets a phone to test.

They claimed over 200 new features in iOS 6, but only told about 10 of the biggest. I'm sure, buried somewhere in the other 190+ will be something for BT 4.
  • Reply 320 of 392
    But AT&T offers free unlocking for iphones bought with a contract even with 2 years if you pay for the early termination fee. I was wondering if you can do this immediately after you purchase a locked iphone 4 or 4s, or would you have to wait for, say a month first...

I wish we knew this. I'm trying to decide if I should get the 5 and sell my 4S. Apple was offering up to $349 for a 64GB 4S. I have a 32. I don't know if they're still doing that. If not, I might pay to get mine unlocked.

I suppose we'll have to give them a call.