Apple's new A6 iPhone 5 appears to be first ARM Cortex A15 phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

They're sampling or still in design. That's not the same as shipping in a production device.

One reason Apple can ship first is that is a new, expensive part and Apple can afford to put it in a device that is guaranteed to sell, and reuse less functional parts as Apple TV/iPod chips. Samsung, for example, does't have a flagship phone that sells in the same quantities, and doesn't have an equivalent to the iPod touch or Apple TV. It doesn't even use the same chips across its smartphone lines. Of course, it doesn't even use the same OS across its smartphone lines. 

Nvidia and TI are also suppling a bunch of products that either sell in the 100k volumes (like the Xoom and PlayBook) or have to be really cheap Nexus 7. 

So Apple has the luxury of selling known large volumes of relatively expensive devices. 

When you don't understand something, don't assume the article is wrong and that everyone else in the world is stupid. 

After searching the other chips mentioned in the article being made by other companies, it seems you are right that they are still in the sampling/design process to put out those chips. But why didn't the article STATE that! Why did I have to search somewhere else because the article was vague and seemed contradictory?

• Reply 22 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Ok but still I was wondering about how many cores because originally about a year back I heard the A6 was a quad core based CPU.  So when I heard that the A6 was in this phone i assumed the # of cores was 4.  I was hoping the # of cores was 4 because samsung released their phone with a quad core processor.  But thank you for setting things straight.

As i said above samsung is using cortex a9 cores 4 of them from arm.  The a9s are slower.  The new iphone 5 uses 2 cortex a15's which are as fast as the 4 a9's.  So like KPOM said its like comparing two core 2 duos to 2 core i7s.   The duos are single threaded,  less on chip cache, and single gate transistors.   The new core i7's (ivy bridge) are dual threaded cores (can handle 2 threads at a time and act like two processors) have more cache, are smaller die size, and use the new trigate transistors.

Long story short the a9's in samsungs current flagship phone the Galaxy SIII use older cortex a9 cores that are slower, and the new iPhone 5 uses the latest cortex a15 chips from arm which are faster by design.  Samsung is working on there own cortex a15 chip for there Galaxy s III  (the Exynos 5) and will no doubt upgrade there Galaxy SIII soon to those new faster cores. 

• Reply 23 of 102
    Am I missing something or is the Qualcomm S4 with the Krait core also an A15 based chip and already shipping in the Evo one x? The S4 has been shipping since June of this year. I think AI needs to check its facts.
  • Reply 24 of 102

Even then the qualcomm s4 came out first because even though its not listed as an a15 it is basically an customized a15 to better fit the need like lte intergration for better battery and asynchronous cores for better battery life also which is because of deal with arm to be able to completely customize the architecture of the chip to fit their needs. and all the other companies are around the corner from releasing their new chips which will easily beat the a6

• Reply 25 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Actually, no, the article doesn't plainly state that. The article says Apple is first to market with the ARM Cortex A15 cores. If it meant first smartphone to market, they should've said that. Also, the article muddies the waters by highlighting what the iPad SoCs are as well, so the article doesn't strictly stick to smartphone CPUs.

Also, while hoping the use of newer tech is true, the article points to no evidence of Apple actually using the newer core architecture. It just points to an article by Anantech which is only speculating because of what Apple vaguely said about performance vs previous A5 chips.

If this turns out not to be true, it'll be more dung in the face from non-Apple users that have a need to feel superior.

I agree at this point it is pure speculation time will tell, one of the chip slicer companies will peel the top of an a6 and then we will know for sure untill then like you said it is speculation and click bate

But I would be very suprised if apple was not using the cortex a15 cores because the a5 in the iPhone 4s is using the cortex a9's and the iPhone 5 is 1.7 to 2.1 times faster than the 4S

• Reply 26 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Ok but still I was wondering about how many cores because originally about a year back I heard the A6 was a quad core based CPU.  So when I heard that the A6 was in this phone i assumed the # of cores was 4.  I was hoping the # of cores was 4 because samsung released their phone with a quad core processor.  But thank you for setting things straight.

It isn't that simple. ARM A9 & A15 cores can be implement Into chips in varying numbers. For all we know this could be a quad core A9 implementation with a higher clock rate.

Frankly I think people are jumping to conclusions here, Apples A6 may or may not contain ARMs A15 cores. At 32/28 nm they could easily get 2X the performance out of A9 cores. It will be very interesting to see the tear downs.

Frankly this chip is a waste in iPhone, I can't wait to see an updated iPad with this processor as a base.
  • Reply 27 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by daironhorse View Post

Even then the qualcomm s4 came out first because even though its not listed as an a15 it is basically an customized a15 to better fit the need like lte intergration for better battery and asynchronous cores for better battery life also which is because of deal with arm to be able to completely customize the architecture of the chip to fit their needs. and all the other companies are around the corner from releasing their new chips which will easily beat the a6

Chips released in the future will beat chips that are currently being produced. Wow!

Thanks for fulfilling my prophecy.

• Reply 28 of 102

Quote:

Just checked on qualcomms sight the s4's currently use quad cortex a7 cores.

• Reply 29 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It isn't that simple. ARM A9 & A15 cores can be implement Into chips in varying numbers. For all we know this could be a quad core A9 implementation with a higher clock rate.

Frankly I think people are jumping to conclusions here, Apples A6 may or may not contain ARMs A15 cores. At 32/28 nm they could easily get 2X the performance out of A9 cores. It will be very interesting to see the tear downs.

Frankly this chip is a waste in iPhone, I can't wait to see an updated iPad with this processor as a base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Chips released in the future will beat chips that are currently being produced. Wow!

agreed one of the chip shavers will pull the top off the A6 and then we will know for sure.  Apple sure has not said whats in it.  But really what does all this matter anyway if the processor is twice as fast  and meets the needs of the phone for apple and customers, does it really matter what clock speed it is and how many cores it has and which cores it has?  Not really lol.

• Reply 30 of 102

Ummm no.... check the evo lte. Its a dual core with a a15 based chip. Qualcomm took a A15 nd put LTE into the chip and ripped out some of the un-needed stuff. Its a custom A15 chip which is what the A6 will likely be. And yes I purchased an EVO lte in June of this year. Google "qualcomm Krait review".

• Reply 31 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I get so tired of this being regurgitated.  The A series of chips are not samsungs and no samsung does not have this exact chip on there website if they did they would be sued and loose.

The only thing in common with samsungs Exynos 5 chips are that they both start with the arm cores.  Other than that the a4, a5 and a6 have not one thing in common with samsungs Exynos 5.  Apple uses different graphics engine Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU. Samsung uses two ARM Mali GPU cores licensed to them from arm.  The A6 is the first to use the arm cortex a15 cores in a smart phone and there inherently faster than the cortex a9 in the a5.  Both samsung and apple license the rights to use the arm cores from arm.  The both then build and add custom parts to there chips to make them unique.  Arm is a company that licenses there tech to people like apple and samsung. Imagination Technologies does the same as well.

The only thing samsung does with the A4, A5, and A6 is manufacture them they have nothing to do with there design nor do they own any part of Apple A series chips design.  Apple owns them period.

The person speaks like the rest of the Android base--dull and dimly lit. At any rate, I'm interested not only with the memory controller changes now patented, but the ImgTec GPGPU and if it's the latest which would be a big bump.

• Reply 32 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Just checked on qualcomms sight the s4's currently use quad cortex a7 cores.

LOLOLOL.... even the s3 was a9 based. Learn how to use google.

• Reply 33 of 102

Some guy named Moore beat him to it. (Not Roger)
  • Reply 34 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Samsung has the exact chip listed on its website. I wouldnt exactly call it beating samsung since samsung did make it. They just gave them priority over its own phones.

Samsung has announced a lot of things. which shipping phones have A15?
    wesallen wrote: »
    Ummm no.... check the evo lte. Its a dual core with a a15 based chip. Qualcomm took a A15 nd put LTE into the chip and ripped out some of the un-needed stuff. Its a custom A15 chip which is what the A6 will likely be. And yes I purchased an EVO lte in June of this year. Google "qualcomm Krait review".

According to this site, the Evo LTE is a snapdragon (A8) chip. Do you have any evidence that it's A15?
    http://drippler.com/htc/evo_4g_lte#!378467

I don't know for sure that the iPhone will be the first A15 phone (if it is, indeed an A15, at all). However, it is clear that it's not mainstream yet - so if it is A15, then it's one of the leaders, at least. So much for the "there's nothing in this phone that hasn't been standard in Android for years" argument.
  • Reply 35 of 102

i know you you like to be like apple and leave out important details to mislead people but the ARMv7 you saw was for the instruction set which all chips have been using for the past 3 years which is why they are coming out with the ARMv8 instruction set soon

• Reply 36 of 102

the a6 cant be a custom chip because qualcomm is the only manufacturers to have true customization of the architecture not just adding on like samsung and all the other companies do that is why the snapdragon chip is preferred for the lte devices this year

• Reply 37 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESALLEN View Post

Qaulcomm doesn't make custom ARM Cortex A-anything chips because they don't license the core architecture from ARM, they only license the instruction set. They design their own core architecture, therefore, they aren't A9 or A15 based chips. That's not to dog them, some say that their S4 chips may be technologically more advanced than A15 cores. But it's kind of hard to judge at this point. Might be better to say they are running near parallel in performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESALLEN View Post

LOLOLOL.... even the s3 was a9 based. Learn how to use google.

They confused instruction set with core architecture. The Qualcomm S4 uses ARMv7 instruction set. Qualcomm doesn't use any specific ARM core architecture from my understanding, as they don't license core architecture from ARM.

Quote:

It's not listed as an A15-based chip because the S4 isn't an A-anything based chip. Qualcomm designs its own core architecture. It only licenses the ARMv7 instruction set.

So if iPhone 5 is indeed using A15-based A6 chips, maybe they would be the first smartphone to use A15-based core architecture. This is regardless of the fact that parallel core architecture designs have been on the month for a few months obviously.

• Reply 38 of 102
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple(s) ... new A6 processor is reportedly using next generation ARM Cortex A15 cores, making it the first to market with the technology. ... "it looks like Apple has integrated two ARM Cortex A15 cores on Samsung's 32nm LP HK+MG process ... a huge deal because it means Apple beat both TI and Samsung on bringing A15s to market."

...Samsung's Exynos 5 Dual pairs two ARM Cortex A15 cores with two ARM Mali GPU cores ... TI's OMAP 5 series and Nvidia's Tegra 4 also use ARM Cortex-A15 cores. ...

These statements are mutually (f*cking) exclusive of each other!!!!!

I'm thinking this is just yet another case of extremely crappy writing from Apple Insider, and not actually a hole in the universe or a logical conundrum etc., but hey, who knows?  Certainly no one reading the shite you guys print and call "journalism."  Seriously, most of the commenters here are better and more careful writers than the Apple Insider staff.  

• Reply 39 of 102

Quote:

the a6 cant be a custom chip because qualcomm is the only manufacturers to have true customization of the architecture not just adding on like samsung and all the other companies do that is why the snapdragon chip is preferred for the lte devices this year

Lol, if you add something to a chip that no one else does, that kind of makes it custom. Qualcomm is only unique in that it doesn't license the CORE architecture so they HAVE to design their own cores, therefore custom cores, therefore not an A9 or A15 core based chip. You make it sound like Qualcomm has some sort of privilege that no one else does, but really it's just they want to design their own cores and no one else does right now. Any other company, Apple included, could start doing the same thing right now.

• Reply 40 of 102
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

This is completely incorrect. Apple has such a licence and they were the first to receive one.