iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96

I reaallllyyyyy hope this is not true! I was planning on switching to either VZ or Sprint for the iP5. I hate AT&T -- spotty at best on BART train here in the SF area... with that said, voice and data together although I seldom use it, when I do it's very useful. Just yesterday I used it to email a link to a friend I was talking to. Guess I could email after we hangup, but in this day & age (I think people in every day & age has used that term) no one should have to wait till they hangup to use data. If this is an Apple decision - they really got it wrong!!

• Reply 22 of 96
    It's a hardware issue. Apple didn't include the necessary third antenna to make it possible. LTE will evolve to support voice in the near future....

Apple had to decide whether to add a third antenna or wait until LTE evolves to handle voice(it currently only handles data).
  • Reply 23 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 + View Post

This is confusing. What does it mean?

1. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access LTE on call

2. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access data at all (even 3G) on call

3. All iPhone-5 users (including AT&T) will not be able to access LTE on call but AT&T users will be able to access 3G?

Can anyone clarify? I am contemplating to switch from AT&T to Verizon (for free tethering and facetime) but being able to use data on call (at least 3G) is a deal breaker for me.

AT&T's HSPA+ chips support what is called SVD, which is basically the ability to talk and use data. Sprint and Verizon CDMA chipsets do not support this feature. Don't remember why though. So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE. The phones that Verizon and Sprint that support SVD usually have 2 radios, one for voice and one for data and they utilize a chipset each for Voice and one for Data. Probably a reason the batteries in 4G devices are notoriously terrible. So none of them will have SVD on LTE, but AT&T's HSPA+ network will continue to support it since those chips are built like that already. 

Hopefully it'll be resolved when VoLTE is made available but who knows when that'll be. 

• Reply 24 of 96
    you can't use voice and data at the same time now with verizon, you can with att, its not the iPhones fault its the carriers fault I wish these sensational click bate pieces would be dropped in favor for new original news pieces. Articles like these are a waste of bandwidth.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    mechanic wrote: »
    you can't use voice and data at the same time now with verizon, you can with att, its not the iPhones fault its the carriers fault I wish these sensational click bate pieces would be dropped in favor for new original news pieces. Articles like these are a waste of bandwidth.

Apple could have addressed this by adding an additional antenna(for voice) like Samsung and others have... but since LTE is expected to evolve soon, Apple decided against it.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Too funny. Been using data and voice at the same time for years in Europe, all for the same cost...

Same in Australia, ever since we went from 2G to 3G, years ago.

It used to be pretty annoying (and slow) tethering with 2G GPRS and an incoming call would drop the connection.

• Reply 27 of 96
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    Another couple of years of Vzw customers thinking they're not missing anything. And being told they're not missing anything.

Every other LTE phone allows this why not the iPhone 5?
  • Reply 28 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That's exactly how it works now on every other device. It seems as though Apple didn't enable the ability to tune both dynamic antennas simultaneously. 

Maybe they don't want to use Samsung's LTE patents, so stripped them out and are only using the one's they own or are licensed to use.

This could be a side effect.

• Reply 29 of 96
    mechanic wrote: »

Ummm yes they can. I do it all the time.
  • Reply 30 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I don't think you can blame the carriers for a decision that is made by Apple with regard to how they want to design their phones. Unlike any other manufacturer, NO ONE tells Apple how to design their phones. If Apple would have "maybe" increased the size width wise so they could include an extra chip for a second radio, then all the carriers would be able to talk on legacy networks while utilizing 4G LTE for data only. Maybe Apple knows something we don't know regarding 4G chipsets, they did design this new chip that encompasses both 3G and 4G in one chip. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe they don't want to use Samsung's LTE patents, so stripped them out and are only using the one's they own or are licensed to use.

This could be a side effect.

Good point, never thought of that one. Supposedly Samsung is already in the works to sue them over utilizing LTE on this device. 

• Reply 31 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverjim View Post

So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE. 

Well, I live in Bay Area, LTE is pretty much everywhere, if what you are saying is that I am not be able to use voice with data even on AT&T (not just Verizon)  then OOPS! No iPhone-5 for me.

• Reply 32 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The more I read about this phone, the more I praise my 4S. World phone without bullshit. No LTE support, but with data caps, who really needs that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Another point of confusion. Is iPhone-5 a regression as a world-phone compared to 4S? Doesn't it support same 3G GSM bands as 4S?

Most of the world couldn't care less, it's only an issue for customers of a couple of American networks locked into CDMA which was dumped almost everywhere else.

You want a "world" phone, get the AT&T version.

• Reply 33 of 96
    jason98 wrote: »
    This is confusing. What does it mean?
    1. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access LTE on call
    2. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access data at all (even 3G) on call
    3. All iPhone-5 users (including AT&T) will not be able to access LTE on call but AT&T users will be able to access 3G?

Can anyone clarify? I am contemplating to switch from AT&T to Verizon (for free tethering and facetime) but being able to use data on call (at least 3G) is a deal breaker for me.

This is my understanding, as of now the VZWs LTE network is used for data only and calls are handled by the CDMA network. While on a call I can access the LTE network on my Galaxy Nexus. Can't understand why the same isn't true for the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    riverjim wrote: »
    I don't think you can blame the carriers for a decision that is made by Apple with regard to how they want to design their phones. Unlike any other manufacturer, NO ONE tells Apple how to design their phones. If Apple would have "maybe" increased the size width wise so they could include an extra chip for a second radio, then all the carriers would be able to talk on legacy networks while utilizing 4G LTE for data only. Maybe Apple knows something we don't know regarding 4G chipsets, they did design this new chip that encompasses both 3G and 4G in one chip. 

Technically, it's a limitation of LTE. Currently it only supports data... But like I've said, that's changing soon. Others have gotten around it by adding an additional radio. But the iPhone already has two radios(one is to improve reception). Apple would have to add yet another radio. I'm assuming since LTE will support voice and data soon, Apple chose not to bother with trying to figure how to fit a third antenna.
  • Reply 35 of 96

Good point, never thought of that one. Supposedly Samsung is already in the works to sue them over utilizing LTE on this device. 

But a vzw lte iPhone would need 2 radios to work.
  • Reply 36 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverjim View Post

So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE.

Quote:

Well, I live in Bay Area, LTE is pretty much everywhere, if what you are saying is that I am not be able to use voice with data even on AT&T (not just Verizon)  then OOPS! No iPhone-5 for me.

Well, AT&T seems to state the opposite:

"AT&T customers have the ability to talk and surf simultaneously on the iPhone 5," the company said.
  • Reply 37 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Technically, it's a limitation of LTE. Currently it only supports data... But like I've said, that's changing soon. Others have gotten around it by adding an additional radio. But the iPhone already has two radios(one is to improve reception). Apple would have to add yet another radio. I'm assuming since LTE will support voice and data soon, Apple chose not to bother with trying to figure how to fit a third antenna.

That's true but I meant the fact that they didn't add that additional radio. But you're probably on point on this changing soon. My guess is that Apple know's something that we don't and they are future planning around the option to be available around the corner somewhere and not bothering right now with satisfying everyone.

• Reply 38 of 96
    You can on AT&T @ Jason....
  • Reply 39 of 96
    That's true but I meant the fact that they didn't add that additional radio. But you're probably on point on this changing soon. My guess is that Apple know's something that we don't and they are future planning around the option to be available around the corner somewhere and not bothering right now with satisfying everyone.
    Right. If the network is upgraded soon, the additional radio serves no purpose. It makes total business sense.
  • Reply 40 of 96

Quote:

Well, AT&T seems to state the opposite:

"AT&T customers have the ability to talk and surf simultaneously on the iPhone 5," the company said.

I read somewhere that LTE prioritizes the radio if your in an LTE network. You would need to shut off LTE in order to utilize the HSPA+. They need to do a better job of explaining how this works exactly since they will only tell you what you want to hear. If it's one radio the one that is active is the one that will prioritize how you connect.