iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Most of the world couldn't care less, it's only an issue for customers of a couple of American networks locked into CDMA which was dumped almost everywhere else.

You want a "world" phone, get the AT&T version.

Well Verizon/Sprint iPhone-5 seems to be more like LTE-world phone than AT&T's version.  

AT&T uses LTE frequencies no one else is using while Verizon's version share the same with the rest of the world.

• Reply 42 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well Verizon/Sprint iPhone-5 seems to be more like LTE-world phone than AT&T's version.  

AT&T uses LTE frequencies no one else is using while Verizon's version share the same with the rest of the world.

This is very true.

BTW, if it's using only one radio, you can only be using either LTE or (insert legacy network chip), you can't utilize both at once. So if you're making a call using (insert legacy network) you can't utilize LTE and vice versa if your downloading something in LTE you won't be able to utilize your other chip set? 

I believe so anyway, not 100% on that one but I heard you can't switch in between while one or another session is running.

• Reply 43 of 96

For crying out loud, Verizon, what decade is this??

I was going to switch from AT&T but since Verizon did away with unlimited data and now this, I guess I'll stay with the death star....

• Reply 44 of 96

So do you think apple did it to please AT&T so they still have something exclusive to them, or did it just not fit in the phone?

• Reply 45 of 96
    ktappe wrote: »
    For crying out loud, Verizon, what decade is this??

I was going to switch from AT&T but since Verizon did away with unlimited data and now this, I guess I'll stay with the death star....

It's not VZWs fault. It's Apple's.
  • Reply 46 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

So do you think apple did it to please AT&T so they still have something exclusive to them, or did it just not fit in the phone?

BTW. The AT&T iPhone can do 3G data and voice. It can't do voice and 4G LTE data.

• Reply 47 of 96
    I don't buy this either. Check out:

http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-iphone-5-data-voice-4g-lte-2012-9

for a different take on this.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    jason98 wrote: »
    vaelian wrote: »
    The more I read about this phone, the more I praise my 4S. World phone without bullshit. No LTE support, but with data caps, who really needs that?

Another point of confusion. Is iPhone-5 a regression as a world-phone compared to 4S? Doesn't it support same 3G GSM bands as 4S?

The 4S supports both GSM and CDMA. A single phone covers most carriers in the world, with the downside of not supporting LTE. This upgrade to LTE is actually a compromise, since you're back to having distinct GSM and CDMA models, so your AT&T phone won't work on Sprint/Verizon and vice-versa, and you'll have to make a choice if you buy an unlocked phone directly from Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    Thank you for telling us before 3 am.

Sticking with f*cking AT&T.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    I don't buy this either. Check out:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-iphone-5-data-voice-4g-lte-2012-9
    for a different take on this.

That was from the day before and had made no mention of the new iPhone by the original person asking or in the response. If you can find a response from VZW that says the new iPhone will support SV&D with LTE data then please do.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    applezilla wrote: »
    Thank you for telling us before 3 am.
    Sticking with f*cking AT&T.

I'll be choosing Verizon to see how it works out. Was planning to change my number anyway because I'm in a new area and want a local area code so might as well give it a shot. You get 30 days to return it and cancel the contract. Additionally there is no restocking fee. I'll just keep my iPhone 4 active on AT&T in the interim.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That was from the day before and had made no mention of the new iPhone by the original person asking or in the response. If you can find a response from VZW that says the new iPhone will support SV&D with LTE data then please do.

Question is why can't the iPhone do what every other LTE phone can?
  • Reply 53 of 96
    I'll be choosing Verizon to see how it works out. Was planning to change my number anyway because I'm in a new area and want a local area code so might as well give it a shot. You get 30 days to return it and cancel the contract. Additionally there is no restocking fee. I'll just keep my iPhone 4 active on AT&T in the interim.

It's a 14 day return period.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not VZWs fault. It's Apple's.

So whose fault is it that my Galaxy Nexus can't do voice and LTE at the same time, well can't do LTE at all really,

Samsung or Google?

• Reply 55 of 96
    hill60 wrote: »
    So whose fault is it that my Galaxy Nexus can't do voice and LTE at the same time, well can't do LTE at all really,

Samsung or Google?

You're doing something wrong because I do it all the time on mine. I even tether while on a call. So it's yours.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    I'm going Verizon too as I suspect LTE will support voice soon. Until then, I'll have to rely on wifi for my simultaneous needs.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's a 14 day return period.

Not according to every US document I know of on subsidized smartphones.

• Reply 58 of 96
    This is confusing. What does it mean?
    1. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access LTE on call
    2. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access data at all (even 3G) on call
    3. All iPhone-5 users (including AT&T) will not be able to access LTE on call but AT&T users will be able to access 3G?

Can anyone clarify? I am contemplating to switch from AT&T to Verizon (for free tethering and facetime) but being able to use data on call (at least 3G) is a deal breaker for me.

The article title makes this seem like a Verizon issue. It isn't. There are not enough antennas in the iPhone 5 to support voice and LTE date on ANY network. AT&T will be 3G speeds when talking and surfing.

There are ways around it, however. FaceTime, Skype, bobsled, vonage.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Not according to every US document I know of on subsidized smartphones.

Curious because that conflicts with this.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy

You may be able to return your iPhone to Apple but you might be forced to pay the ETF to VZW.
  • Reply 60 of 96

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Curious because that conflicts with this.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy

You may be able to return your iPhone to Apple but you might be forced to pay the ETF to VZW.

My only hard memories of this concept are of the original iPhone, and so my information might be outdated, but I was under the impression that if you cancel your contract within the first 30 days, you cannot keep the phone at all (the phone that you purchased and own), and after the 30 you must pay the ETF to keep the phone. Nowhere do I remember returning the phone and still having to pay anything.