iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Also says "any equipment purchased from us or one of our authorized agents"

I know, it's in the text I quoted and came right after the text I bolded.
    ...If you do accept, you can cancel a line of Service [...] within the applicable return period, any equipment you purchased from [...] one of our authorized agents...

I bet if I took Verizon to court because I returned the iPhone on the 15th day (half way through the allowed cycle) and Verizon still charged me a monthly rate for a phone contract tied to a phone number and phone I don't have that I would easily win, not that it would even make it to court.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

DOH. I never considered the GSM version.

fragmentation ;)

• Reply 84 of 96
    mazda 3s wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a single antenna transmit and receive different frequencies simultaneously?
  • Reply 85 of 96
    hill60 wrote: »
    fragmentation ;)

How is that fragmentation? Same would hold true for the iPhone then.
  • Reply 86 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How is that fragmentation? Same would hold true for the iPhone then.

It absolutely holds true for the iPhone.

• Reply 87 of 96
    elehcdn wrote: »
    The issue here is supporting Voice Over LTE, which neither AT&T nor Verizon do. Ars Technica just recently had an article that Korea has the first cell system supporting Voice Over LTE. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/worlds-first-voice-over-lte-launches-in-korea-us-stuck-with-3g-calls/

According to the article, VoLTE is due to be implemented towards the end of the year or early next year by Verizon and Metro PCS, followed by ATT & Clearwire. Likely, support for simultaneous 3G and LTE is already easy to achieve, since LTE is more similar to 3G than CDMA, giving AT&T bragging rights until Verizon gets their VoLTE going. Since the phone is being released with only 3 to 6 months before implementation of VoLTE, I can see why Apple wouldn't bother including another chip just for a few months for Verizon.

fwiw, this also explains why Apple made a big deal of better audio fidelity for calls, since VoLTE should have better frequency response.

Makes sense. Especially if it can be enables via software.
  • Reply 88 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Why does Google ads continuously show these annoying mormon ads on both Apple Insider and Mac Rumors?? I'm so sick of religious and political ads. Especially the mormon ads.

What are "ads"?  (Seriously, how can someone be geeky enough to visit sites such as Appleinsider and MacRumors and yet not savvy enough use an ad block add-on to their browser?)

• Reply 89 of 96
    Every single one does. I'm not buying this story. In fact some devices like the Galaxy S3 even support simultaneous voice and data over 3G CDMA. if true,this is a huge miss on Apple's part.

They (Verizon) have phones that do work this way but it's because the manufactures saved them by adding the xtra antenna.

Now it would be nice but I can see why apple didn't do this.

If I am not mistaken this a really only a CDMA network thing that is pretty much something most of the world doesn't use.

Apple decided against adding an xtra antenna to fix/mend the issue because ultimately LTE will evolve to allow data/talk, and it is mostly a Sprint Verizon issue.

Also they are trying to avoid lawsuit pitfalls from Samsung as they Have LTE patents.

Here's a good article on it

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

Also I'm sure the design would've been comprised by something that isn't their issue to begin with... so to speak.

Apple bet on the networks future as oppose to fixing what's broken now with Sprint and Verizon networks

Think of it this way, if Apple makes a mountain bike to be 
    versatile enough to ride in the city or in the woods, but, there Is
    are a certain group  of people who want to ride in the woods yet 
    only have the skills to ride on paved roads, then should Apple
    Pave  a road for them in the woods to  "jerry rig" the experience?

Naturally those people should just learn on their own to ride in the 
    woods as its their limitation and should be fixed on their side of the 
    Equation. 

So I can understand this, although it is a very complicated issue.

I have AT&T so it's a non issue for me, but I feel the pain of others on this.

It was apples choice. Also I don't think I'd want the phones design and thinness changed across the board just to fix a mess with CDMA.

But I haven't held it yet so I will resever my judgment until that happens.

From what I hear it feels awesome in hand.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Interesting.
    The Verizon reps I spoke to assured me that simultaneous Voice and Data would be capable over LTE while still not capable over CDMA on Verizon.
    I'm willing to bet this spokesman didn't understand the technology and had no idea what he was talking about.
  • Reply 91 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Most of the world couldn't care less, it's only an issue for customers of a couple of American networks locked into CDMA which was dumped almost everywhere else.

You want a "world" phone, get the AT&T version.

Ummmmmm.....It's already been shown that the AT&T version is NOT a world phone, which is part of the reason I switched. The other part is that Verizon will unlock the sim for world travel while AT&T will gouge you with roaming. 

• Reply 92 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Interesting.

The Verizon reps I spoke to assured me that simultaneous Voice and Data would be capable over LTE while still not capable over CDMA on Verizon.

I'm willing to bet this spokesman didn't understand the technology and had no idea what he was talking about.

Well, they are technically right ... they just didn't explain that since their Voice over LTE network isn't ready yet, you are stuck on CDMA until then.

Ben

• Reply 93 of 96

So I can't receive iMessages or emails while on a voice call?  Can someone confirm this with their current iPhone on Verizon?

• Reply 94 of 96
    ceslar wrote: »
    So I can't receive iMessages or emails while on a voice call?  Can someone confirm this with their current iPhone on Verizon?

Over cellular data whilst on a call, no.
  • Reply 95 of 96

Here's something to think about:

No simultaneous voice and data on Verizon, but have excellent reception, faster data speeds, and excellent customer service.

versus

Simultaneous voice and data on AT&T but have crappy reception, slower data speeds, and crappy customer service.

• Reply 96 of 96

Should you buy iPhone 5? My suggestion is that u needn’t upgrade iPhone 4S to iPhone 5. But you may try iPhone 5 suppose you haven’t owned any apple product. After all, Apple never lets us down for its unique products.

Anyway, if you want to experience the enjoyment about watching movies on iPhone 5 with a bigger touch screen, you’d better care for iPhone 5 supported formats.

Video Formats supported by iPhone 5

a)    H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

b)    MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

c)     Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Since not all the videos can be playback on iPhone 5, here we recommend a free iPhone 5 video converter to make it possible to play any movies on iPhone 5. It is VidPie, totally free video transcoding software for windows users and meets any conversion demands from mp4, mov, mts, mxf, avi, etc to any other formats.

Free video to iPhone 5 converter to convert videos to iPhone formats

Download VidPie from http://vidpie.com/

1.    Import files to VidPie:

VidPie is a professional video conversion tool, supporting to load both videos and folders.

Click “Add” button to load media files, or directly drag and drop files, folders.

2.    Click “Select output format” option to the below picture, then click on “check profile information” customize your output profile, set the video codec, bit rate, frame rate, etc.

PS: VidPie allows users to manually type your needed bit rate, size, frame rate.

3.    Convert any videos to iPhone 5 supported formats, here we suggest you convert movies to h.264 mp4 for iPhone 5.

Mac users may try iPhone video converter for Mac to replace VidPie.

And we welcome digital enthusiast to join us on http://aunmedia.com to share your experience with digital gadgets or editing software.