Online Apple Store, AT&T site both down as iPhone 5 pre-orders loom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Also.  Where does the iPhone 6 go?  We pretty much know that the iPhone 4s was basically the same size and weight as the 4.  So we can assume that the iPhone 5s will be the same size and weight as the 5.  Yet where does Apple go from there?  Will the 6 be wider?  will Apple leave the logic of the thumb and its function in relation to the screen?  Do people see a wider screen as an advantage compared to a taller screen?  Will Apple adapt the wider screen but same thickness in the 8th (iPhone 6) model of iPhone?

The iPhone 6 will feature AirTouch technology - no longer will you touch the screen, rather you just need to gesture with your thumb and these gestures will be picked up by the 3-axis infrared tracking sensors. Since screen size will no longer be restricted by thumb-span, this will allow Apple to upgrade the screen to a 5.5" Retina 4K screen.

The iPhone 7 will have a similar design and form factor as the iPhone 6, but will feature a 5.5" Retina 4K 3D screen.

• Reply 22 of 113

Firstly, I'm happy to be part of this pre-order party.

Secondly, while we are waiting I have a few questions:

1) What kind of limit has Apple placed in the past on pre-ordering iPhones (unsubsidized)?

2) For those who successfully pre-order, when can we expect to receive our iPhones?

• Reply 23 of 113
    aia wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm happy to be part of this pre-order party.

Secondly, while we are waiting I have a few questions:

1) What kind of limit has Apple placed in the past on pre-ordering iPhones (unsubsidized)?

2) For those who successfully pre-order, when can we expect to receive our iPhones?

For 1) I think it was 2 last time, but I'm not really sure.

For 2) When I pre-ordered my iP4 I got it around noon the day before launch, but it was in Los Altos, CA, and I think the bay area gets special treatment. I only have the one data point for reference, however.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    Hey everybody. I guess this is the AI Virtual Queue. I'm down in Santa Cruz teaching seniors how to use their iOS devices. Getting ready to buy my first UNLOCKED iPhone. Recently discovered http://ConsumerCellular.com which lets me fly on the AT&T network for $11.88 a month thus saving me about $800 a year in excessive AT&T fees. So I'm shelling out $849 plus sales tax • BLACK AT&T 64GB • plus $99 for the AppleCare+ to skip the expensive contract. I fact, I just killed my two year contract with AT&T for $215. Will save that much in just a little over 3 months. My main challenge will be to trim my SIM down to Nano size. That will be a lot of fun since almost no one else is doing what I'm doing to save a bucket load of money. ????

Well it's almost time to place our orders. Also grabbing one of the last Refurbished Graphite 16GB iPod nanos for $119. ???? I'm super stoked about the iPhone 5. I've owned every iPhone save the first one. And I'm still excited every year to get the next one. ????

T-Minus 8 minutes and counting...
  • Reply 25 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

For 1) I think it was 2 last time, but I'm not really sure.

For 2) When I pre-ordered my iP4 I got it around noon the day before launch, but it was in Los Altos, CA, and I think the bay area gets special treatment. I only have the one data point for reference, however.

Thanks Dean! The limit of 2 seems to sound familiar to me.

The reason for question #2 is that I'm currently overseas so I'll need to ask someone to bring it back for me. Is there anyone who pre-ordered and did not get their phone within a week of the official launch?

• Reply 26 of 113

So where are you all ordering from: Apple, or your phone carrier? I've done both in the past, and I can't recall which was better.

• Reply 27 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

So where are you all ordering from: Apple, or your phone carrier? I've done both in the past, and I can't recall which was better.

I'll be ordering from Apple (Canada) since I need an unlocked phone.

• Reply 28 of 113
    cash907 wrote: »

I know the AT&T website was a shambles for the iP4 launch, but I didn't do the 4S so it may have been better that time around. I'm going to stick with Apple, nonetheless. Hopefully it won't be as awful as last time; I think I spent a total of 5 hours staring at error messages as Apple tried to reach AT&T's servers.
  • Reply 29 of 113

1 minute to go!

• Reply 30 of 113

AT&T is live!!!

• Reply 31 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

AT&T is live!!!

Says "LOADING" for rme

• Reply 32 of 113

Quote:

AT&T is live!!!

It looks like the Apple Store is late??

• Reply 33 of 113

It's 0:02 PST and the Apple Store is still offline!

Did all of us constantly hitting "refresh" kill it?

• Reply 34 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Says "LOADING" for rme

Just completed my order. Keep trying.

• Reply 35 of 113

Still down.  Come on

• Reply 36 of 113

Quote:

Just completed my order. Keep trying.

Did you order from the Apple Store?

*edit* Nevermind I see you were ordering from AT&T

• Reply 37 of 113

Both Apple and At&T are still down

• Reply 38 of 113

It's alive!!

• Reply 39 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIA View Post

Did you order from the Apple Store?

*edit* Nevermind I see you were ordering from AT&T

I had both windows open, but AT&T went live right on time so I went with them.

• Reply 40 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Just tried ordering through AT&T by going through my account. After showing a picture of the iPhone 5 and showing that my wife's line was eligible for an upgrade, I was given this error:

Quote:

There was a problem with your request.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. Please try again later. Thank you for your patience.

(P1234)