Online Apple Store, AT&T site both down as iPhone 5 pre-orders loom

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I think it's just worded oddly, as I haven't heard anything about an adapter being included with the phones themselves. Would be nice, as that would save me 30 bucks, but oh well. My fault for buying a car with a hardwired OEM connector.

I dunno, it's worded pretty clearly to me. But I think it is wrong.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the cars with OEM 30-pin connectors. Guess Apple really screwed you guys there. Hopefully there's an elegant solution.

• Reply 82 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

It's MUCH easier to just order from the Apple Store app. No waiting, no refreshing, and it's fast. Learned that the hard way back wit the iPhone 4.

Ordered my iPhone 5 with a few button clicks.

Superb suggestion. Thanks.

• Reply 83 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIA View Post

Another question - is the pre-ordering really a queue? As in, orders will be processed in the order that we pre-ordered?

Just trying to determine my chances of receiving my "present" on 9/21.

If I recall correctly, all orders placed before noon EST Friday of last year all earned first day delivery, and even some shortly after that. Everything else was a day to a week behind. Considering you ordered yours within the first half hour of availability, I'm pretty confident you'll be seeing a small brown box on your doorstep in a week.

• Reply 84 of 113
    recrec Posts: 217member

I believe so AIA.  For now mine says a delivery of 9/21, that the order is received and can't be cancelled.  If its like last year, waiting too long will result in a several weeks delay as you won't get in on the initial batch.

• Reply 85 of 113

Got my order in via the iPhone app while the store is still down. Back to slumber

• Reply 86 of 113
    swssws Posts: 44member

ALSO A REMINDER FOR THOSE WITH DISCOVER CARDS. LOG INTO DISCOVER AND USE THEIR SHOP-MALL. IF YOU ENTER APPLE'S WEBSTORE FROM YOUR DISCOVER CARDS SHOP-MALL, YOU GET 5% CASH BACK. IT WORKED FOR ME WHILE IN "PRIVATE BROWSING".

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! IM OFF TO BED! I HAVE TO GET UP IN 3 HOURS FOR WORK!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 87 of 113

The Apple Store site did not come up on time, but once it did everything went fast!  Order placed and e-mail received by 2:19AM CDT.

• Reply 88 of 113
    recrec Posts: 217member

Appleinsider is taking longer to refresh for me than Apple.com  =)

I think they got the issues sorted out this time.

• Reply 89 of 113

I got my 2nd iphone order completed through ATT. Something of note though. Last year, I ordered through ATT and was only charged $217 total. In the billing receipt, it said $199 for the iphone and $18 upgrade fee. I was never charged for the sales tax but ATT did add another $18 upgrade fee to my phone bill later.

This time, I got my first order through apple and got a receipt for $255.79 ($199 + $56.79 estimated tax).

My second order through ATT has a receipt for $292.86 "total one-time charges" ($199 + $56.87 estimated tax + $36 upgrade fee).

• Reply 90 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIA View Post

I dunno, it's worded pretty clearly to me. But I think it is wrong.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the cars with OEM 30-pin connectors. Guess Apple really screwed you guys there. Hopefully there's an elegant solution.

Eh, if by elegant you mean a chunky adapter that plugs onto the end of your existing connector, like when they changed the pin lineup/charging circuits so they no longer worked with older firewire-compatible cables a few years back, sure. 30 bucks isn't much considering I just dropped several hundred on a set of new phones, but it would have been nice if they'd made the thing in black so it at least matches the cable it's plugging into. As it is, I'll probably throw a coat of black paint on it. I've got some left over from the repair job I did on my wife's side view mirror after someone thoughtfully bashed it off and tossed it into my yard in the middle of the night.

• Reply 91 of 113

Quote:

If I recall correctly, all orders placed before noon EST Friday of last year all earned first day delivery, and even some shortly after that. Everything else was a day to a week behind. Considering you ordered yours within the first half hour of availability, I'm pretty confident you'll be seeing a small brown box on your doorstep in a week.

Excellent, thanks for the reassurances Cash907! This is my first time pre-ordering, so it's all very new and exciting to me.

• Reply 92 of 113
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Wow my phone company went into meltdown, it took twenty minutes of failed calls just to get put on hold.

• Reply 93 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by REC View Post

I believe so AIA.  For now mine says a delivery of 9/21, that the order is received and can't be cancelled.  If its like last year, waiting too long will result in a several weeks delay as you won't get in on the initial batch.

Interesting, my order says "Delivers 9/21-9/25" though I ordered though the Apple Canada store (and the iPhones will be delivered to a Canadian address). Anyways, as long as it gets delivered that week I'll be ok.

Your note about the order not being cancellable intrigued me so I checked my order and it says the same ("Not eligible to edit or cancel"). However, when I click on the "Why?" it explains that we will be able to edit/cancel the order once they begin processing it.

Good point about waiting too long and missing out. If I do end up changing my mind I could resell these easily (and not lose money).

• Reply 94 of 113
    aia wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for the reassurances Cash907! This is my first time pre-ordering, so it's all very new and exciting to me.

Yea your good to go!!!

1st time is always special. This one was not that bad. When I preordered the new iPad, it took me three hours to get through the website!
  • Reply 95 of 113

Quote:

Eh, if by elegant you mean a chunky adapter that plugs onto the end of your existing connector, like when they changed the pin lineup/charging circuits so they no longer worked with older firewire-compatible cables a few years back, sure. 30 bucks isn't much considering I just dropped several hundred on a set of new phones, but it would have been nice if they'd made the thing in black so it at least matches the cable it's plugging into. As it is, I'll probably throw a coat of black paint on it. I've got some left over from the repair job I did on my wife's side view mirror after someone thoughtfully bashed it off and tossed it into my yard in the middle of the night.

I was thinking that some luxury cars might have a dedicated iPhone dock - but I wouldn't know as I don't drive one. If it's just a wired connector then it's not too bad.

Sorry to hear about your wife's side view mirror. Sounds like the doing of some drunk college students... oh the memories!

• Reply 96 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWS View Post

Yea your good to go!!!

1st time is always special. This one was not that bad. When I preordered the new iPad, it took me three hours to get through the website!

Yeah, Apple probably has their fancy server farm handling these orders.

What's surprising to me is the total lack of guilt about having just spent over $1600 (including taxes)! I suppose this is the Apple magic/Steve RDF at work.

• Reply 97 of 113

exactly my question please keep us updated if you find out the answer and if i do I will do the same.....

• Reply 98 of 113

So I tried ordering through Apple's website and got an iPhone reservation.......

It's telling me they will email me when they can get a hold up my carrier's systems and then I can finish my order but I wonder how long that will be and if I will ge my phone in the first batch delivered 9/21

So dumb. I should have just ordered from the Apple Store app on my phone

• Reply 99 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

WTF? Now all the iPhones on Apple's site are saying shipping in 2 weeks. I was going to go ahead and buy one for myself and take the $250 hit for upgrading early.

• Reply 100 of 113
    aia wrote: »
    Yeah, Apple probably has their fancy server farm handling these orders.

What's surprising to me is the total lack of guilt about having just spent over $1600 (including taxes)! I suppose this is the Apple magic/Steve RDF at work.

Yep. I hear ya. I dropped 684 after tax.

And even though I really have no use for it, since I use the new iPad for most of my net browsing and my iMac for more involved stuff, I am slowly convincing myself the retina MacBook pro should be my next buy.