Comments

• Reply 21 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

People GrowUP!, ...

You forgot to add the '/s' at the end.

• Reply 22 of 84

Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

…but lately things aren't so Bright, NOT on Mac OS X neither on iOS, Apple are loosing big time on the Hardware, and Apple Software is missing essential things and not revolutionary as ads say.

And instead of elaborating, you're going to say absolutely nothing but this. Just like everyone else.

This kind of ads comparison, are just are making Apple ridiculous and this is and will hurt the iPhone sales.

That's Samsung's goal, yeah. I know that's not what you're saying, but my answer is the only thing that makes sense out of that.

…some of them have more native speakers in the World than English!!

English is the most spoken language worldwide. It has the most native speakers and even more non-native.

Android 4, is not what Android 2 was… 

Oh, so it's worse now?

• Reply 23 of 84
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Isn't that interesting, Samsung's out there publishing undisclosed spec's for a competitor product that hasn't shipped yet. Did they just breach an NDA, did the supposed chinese wall between departments leak? How did their marketing department have this info ready?

I was wondering the same thing. Samsung has to be under a NDA. Apple's product has not shipped yet. Any information that Samsung has is because it has inside access to the device. 

• Reply 24 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Graphics RAM is (mostly) for the number of pixels a system can display at once. More GRAM means higher resolutions and/or multiple monitors. The power of the processor itself is far more important. Whats the point in RAM when you can't push the pixels?

It has diminishing returns after a certain point but the consoles differ in that they aren't multi-tasking apps and running lots of services. 512MB can choke a desktop card to zero:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428-9.html

Given that most iOS games rarely exceed 1GB in total size, 512MB would have been a decent amount but Safari always uses loads of RAM.

I'd rather have more RAM than less no matter if the benefits aren't immediately obvious. It means more and higher resolution layers in drawing apps.
  • Reply 25 of 84

To funny how y'all rant about Samsung but the RAM is a Samsung PoP on top of Apple's A6 (made by Samsung).

I can understand rooting for a team (Apple) but I would feel a bit stupid rooting that hard for a team if that team "cheats" on me by doing so much business with the enemy LOL!

• Reply 26 of 84
    galore2112 wrote: »
    To funny how y'all rant about Samsung but the RAM is a Samsung PoP on top of Apple's A6 (made by Samsung).

I can understand rooting for a team (Apple) but I would feel a bit stupid rooting that hard for a team if that team "cheats" on me by doing so much business with the enemy LOL!

Godwin's Law, Sunday Edition: Hitler was nice to dogs which means PETA would support him but that doesn't excuse him for his other stuff.

Seriously though, in what way is it cheating? Apple is more and more vertical in their products but you're complaining because they buy a couple components from a company that have stolen their ideas in other departments? Do you have any idea just how big Samsung is? Do you have even th fainted idea how complex how CE is?
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Samsung is grasping at straws, they're soon to be irrelevant as an Apple partner and cell phone company.
  • Reply 28 of 84

@Godwin's Law invoker:

I'm sorry but given how vitriolic people are against Samsung in these quarters it's mind bending to be simultaneously totally cool with Apple purchasing vital components from "Shamesung / Samescum".

Every time I'm disgusted with that Korean copy-machine (and I have a special disgust for them given that I had the pleasure to go through their obscene security procedures in Suwon many times in the past. Samsung as a company is paranoid that someone would steal their IP so they have the most ridiculous security screening for business visitors that I haver seen. Wie der Schelm denkt, so ist er.) and feel that they rip off Apple, my disgust gets attenuated by the fact that when I buy an iPhone5, I buy a phone that was made possible by Samsung.

• Reply 29 of 84

Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

I'm sorry but given how vitriolic people are against Samsung in these quarters it's mind bending to be simultaneously totally cool with Apple purchasing vital components from "Shamesung / Samescum".

That's just because you don't understand the distinction.

As a component manufacturer, Samsung takes an order, takes instructions, and copies them to the letter. That's what you want from a component manufacturer.

You don't want that from a "competitor".

Samsung as a company is paranoid that someone would steal their IP…

What IP?

• Reply 30 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple is more and more vertical in their products but you're complaining because they buy a couple components from a company that have stolen their ideas in other departments? Do you have any idea just how big Samsung is? Do you have even th fainted idea how complex how CE is?

Honey, my professional background is about 15 years in CE (as in Consumer Electronics) both in engineering and management and contrary to you (most likely, making an assumption now), I have worked with Samsung's semiconductor business for years and I know their culture very well. So spare my this condescending BS. Do you even know how Samsung is structured? You honestly believe their BS about their internal firewalls? If so, bless your heart.

And "a couple of components" has got to be the understatement of the day. Look up to the thread's initial story what unimportant component we are talking about.

• Reply 31 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Isn't that interesting, Samsung's out there publishing undisclosed spec's for a competitor product that hasn't shipped yet. Did they just breach an NDA, did the supposed chinese wall between departments leak? How did their marketing department have this info ready?

I was wondering the same thing. Samsung has to be under a NDA. Apple's product has not shipped yet. Any information that Samsung has is because it has inside access to the device. 

We don't know what was in the NDA. Possibly the term was only until the device is announced at the keynote.

• Reply 32 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I'd rather have more RAM than less no matter if the benefits aren't immediately obvious. It means more and higher resolution layers in drawing apps.

That would be true if there weren't tradeoffs. More RAM costs more. More RAM takes up more space (maybe). More RAM uses more battery power.

English is the most spoken language worldwide. It has the most native speakers and even more non-native.

Not true. Mandarin is #1 by a wide margin. English is either #2 or #3, depending on which source you believe:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
  • Reply 33 of 84

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. Mandarin is #1 by a wide margin. English is either #2 or #3, depending on which source you believe:

Oh, I read it wrong, then. The individual pages said that English has 1.8 billion speakers (all) with Mandarin around 1.6.

• Reply 34 of 84
    @Godwin's Law invoker:

Every time I'm disgusted with that Korean copy-machine (and I have a special disgust for them given that I had the pleasure to go through their obscene security procedures in Suwon many times in the past. Samsung as a company is paranoid that someone would steal their IP so they have the most ridiculous security screening for business visitors that I haver seen. Wie der Schelm denkt, so ist er.) and feel that they rip off Apple, my disgust gets attenuated by the fact that when I buy an iPhone5, I buy a phone that was made possible by Samsung.

None of that should matter to you. When Samsung's phone division within their HW design and software group steal from Apple it's Apple that should be upset, not you. If you don't like their product and/or their work ethic then don't buy their products, but I suggest keeping it within the realm of what is being stolen. Is there any evidence that Samsung's foundries are responsible for any IP stealing from Apple? Not that I'm aware of.

Bottom line is Samsung is still the best option for a couple of Apple's components on quality and scale. That doesn't excuse the rest of the company for their other actions but that's being dealt with accordingly as the lawsuits have shown. Consider that the leaks of the iPhone over the past couple months have come from China from employees at companies Apple has contracted with. Chances are there is only one leak from a person in each company. Someone in there found a security hole and took a risk for a little cash or just because. Should Apple stop working with that vendor because someone at the company did that? If that was, say, the camera supplier should Apple go back to the iPhone 4 camera or offer no camera to teach them a lesson.

There is no way to control every aspect of the operation when you have 3rd-parties involved. Security simply becomes impractical to implement at a certain level. You can't have a New Jack City situation where all the employees are building your devices in the nude, but I digress.

Apple isn't as vertically integrated as Samsung at this point because they do still have other companies manufacture their wares and buy components outright but Apple is clearly working toward making that bubble entirely theres where possible.

It was only yesterday that we saw any evidence of what the A6 chip is which was some clever sleuthing by AnandTech. That tells me that Samsung's chip division isn't leaking anything about Apple's chips. What should Apple do? Not use NAND? Use slower NAND? Use another foundry that might only have 45nm foundries or not be able to support the quantity needed? Choose your battles.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Honey, my professional background is about 15 years in CE (as in Consumer Electronics) both in engineering and management and contrary to you (most likely, making an assumption now), I have worked with Samsung's semiconductor business for years and I know their culture very well. So spare my this condescending BS. Do you even know how Samsung is structured? You honestly believe their BS about their internal firewalls? If so, bless your heart.

And "a couple of components" has got to be the understatement of the day. Look up to the thread's initial story what unimportant component we are talking about.

1) It's funny how people make pejorative claims to justify their own vitriol.

2) What are all these extensive components from Samsung Apple buys? I can only think of NAND off the top of my head. The A6 is Apple's design but the ASIC will likely have a package from Samsung or two if not other vendors. You can't claim the A6 is a Samsung product unless you want to claim that iPhone is a Foxconn product. They build it for Apple and it's designed by Apple. If you get a suit tailored do you think it's no longer an Armani Suit but a Lou's Tailoring creation? I sure as hell hope not.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True however most Mandarin speakers are also bilingual except for the Beijing dialect. When at home or in their village they speak their native dialect which may have some crossover in intelligibility however there are many pronunciation variations between Taiwanese and mainland Mandarin as well as the numerous dialects in other regions of so-called native speakers of Mandarin so it is not going to be an easy task to deploy Siri in Mandarin and have it be universally effective for any dialect other than Beijing. Just as they have separated UK English from North American English they will likely have to separate Mandarin into several dialects.

• Reply 37 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    True however most Mandarin speakers are also bilingual except for the Beijing dialect. When at home or in their village they speak their native dialect which may have some crossover in intelligibility however there are many pronunciation variations between Taiwanese and mainland Mandarin as well as the numerous dialects in other regions of so-called native speakers of Mandarin so it is not going to be an easy task to deploy Siri in Mandarin and have it be universally effective for any dialect other than Beijing. Just as they have separated UK English from North American English they will likely have to separate Mandarin into several dialects.

That may be, but it has nothing to do with the false claim that English is the most widely spoken language on the planet.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    jragosta wrote: »
    That may be, but it has nothing to do with the false claim that English is the most widely spoken language on the planet.

It sounds like you're saying that English isn't the most commonly spoken first language. If that is the case then that should be qualified as such.

English as the most widely used language on the planet is accurate but that doesn't mean other langauges can't be the most widely used languages either. It all depends on how you define widely. It's quite ambiguous.

How many people understand English to some degree? Everywhere I've been to in the world English — and American culture, in general — is very prominent. Even most code for programming is written using English as a foundation.

When you count L1, L2 and EFL speakers while excluding any other usage types of a langauge's spread, influence or usage in culture we see English being considerably higher than even Mandarin, according to Ethnologue and The British Council.

There are plenty of English words in this song but I don't recall a single Western pop song with Korean in it.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 39 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

They forgot to mention that the clock on the Samsung runs three hours and four minutes fast, which I see as a deal-breaking drawback.

• Reply 40 of 84
    berpberp Posts: 136member

Do you realize that those air molecules you've been breathing all along have once gone through a Google and a Samsung executive's windpipe, ...and have exited the infringing  loop...mis-aligned circuitry and all...as an Android copycat fart?

Charting pitch-black beats smelling roses galore...