Apple A6 SoC 'confirmed' to leverage 1GB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by galore2112 View PostSamsung as a company is paranoid that someone would steal their IP…

What IP?

Or maybe, in fact, they are paranoid that someone will discover whose IP they've stolen?

• Reply 42 of 84
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Isn't that interesting, Samsung's out there publishing undisclosed spec's for a competitor product that hasn't shipped yet. Did they just breach an NDA, did the supposed chinese wall between departments leak? How did their marketing department have this info ready?

So much for that company firewall they were hoping to keep in place to retain Apple as a customer. 

• Reply 43 of 84
    Language Support and Avaialbility of Android Voice Actions:

[LIST=1]
    [*] English
    [/LIST]

Language Support and Availability of Siri

[LIST=1]
    [*] United States (English, Spanish)
    [*] United Kingdom (English)
    [*] Australia (English)
    [*] France (French)
    [*] Germany (German)
    [*] Japan (Japanese)
    [*] Canada (English, Canadian French)
    [*] China (Mandarin)
    [*] Hong Kong (Cantonese)
    [*] Italy (Italian)
    [*] Korea (Korean)
    [*] Mexico (Spanish)
    [*] Spain (Spanish)
    [*] Switzerland (Italian, French, German)
    [*] Taiwan (Mandarin)
    [/LIST]

List of languages by number of native speakers

[LIST=1]
    [*] Mandarin 935 14.1% China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore
    [*] Spanish 387 5.85% Hispanic America, Spain, United States
    [*] English 365 5.52% Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, South Africa, Singapore
    [*] Hindi 295 4.46% India Includes approx. 100 million speakers of other Hindi languages.
    [*] Arabic 280 4.23% Northern Africa, Middle East A language family, not a language
    [*] Portuguese 204 3.08% Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Guinea-Bissau, Macao, Mozambique, Portugal, São Tomé and Príncipe
    [*] Bengali 202 3.05% Bangladesh, West Bengal (India), Tripura (India)
    [*] Russian 160 2.42% Russia, former Republics of the Soviet Union, Mongolia, Israel
    [*] Japanese 127 1.92% Japan
    [*] Punjabi 95.5 1.44% Punjab region (Pakistan, India)
    [*] German 92.1 1.39% Austria, Belgium (Eupen-Malmedy) Germany, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, South Tirol (in Italy)
    [*] Javanese 82.4 1.25% Java (Indonesia)
    [*] Wu 79.5 1.2% Shanghai (China)
    [*] Indonesian/Malay 76.9 1.16% Indonesia, Malaysia
    [*] Telugu 75.9 1.15% Andhra Pradesh (India)
    [/LIST]

List of countries by Human Development Index

1 Norway (Norwegian although a majority of population is fluent in English, many speak German, French and Spanish as well)
    2 Australia (English)
    3 Netherlands (Dutch although a majority of population can speak conversational English)
    4 United States (English and Spanish)
    5 New Zealand (English)
    6 Canada (English and Canadian French)
    7 Ireland (Irish and English)
    8 Liechtenstein (German, Italian and Turkish are somewhat common as well)
    9 Germany (German)
    10 Sweden (Swedish although a majority of population is fluent in English)
    11 Switzerland (German, French, Italian and Romansch
    12 Japan (Japanese although English is compulsory)
    13 Hong Kong (Cantonese, English)
    14 Iceland (Icelandic although Danish and English are compulsory)
    15 South Korea (Korean)
    16 Denmark (Danish)
    17 Israel (Hebrew and Arabic although English is compulsory)
    18 Belgium (Dutch, French, German)
    19 Austria (German)
    20 France (French)
    21 Slovenia (Slovene although a majority of the population can speak English)
    22 Finland (Finnish and Swedish although English is compulsory)
    23 Spain (Spanish although English is widely spoken in tourism areas, primarily along the Mediterranean)
    24 Italy (Italian)
    25 Luxembourg (French, German, and Luxembourgish although English is compulsory)
    26 Singapore ( English, Chinese, Malay, and Tamil)
    27 Czech Republic (Czech)
    28 United Kingdom (English)
    29 Greece (Greek)
    30 United Arab Emirates (Arabic)
    61 Malaysia (Bahasa Malaysia although math and science are taught in English)
    84 Brazil (Portugese)
    124 Indonesia (Javanese)
    134 India (Hindi, Benjali, Punjabi although English is an official language as well)

As we can see, the number eleventh, ninth and sixth most popular languages as well as the top three most spoken languages are supported by Siri. Furthermore, in many regions with a very high human development index English is taught as a second language and is often compulsory.

** As always, Android-based smartphones are far behind. I don't know if I should pity fools that buy Android or not. Some of them seemed well-informed about many topics but are otherwise deceitful or foolish in regards to technology.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It sounds like you're saying that English isn't the most commonly spoken first language. If that is the case then that should be qualified as such.
    English as the most widely used language on the planet is accurate but that doesn't mean other langauges can't be the most widely used languages either. It all depends on how you define widely. It's quite ambiguous.
    How many people understand English to some degree? Everywhere I've been to in the world English — and American culture, in general — is very prominent. Even most code for programming is written using English as a foundation.
    When you count L1, L2 and EFL speakers while excluding any other usage types of a langauge's spread, influence or usage in culture we see English being considerably higher than even Mandarin, according to Ethnologue and The British Council. There are plenty of English words in this song but I don't recall a single Western pop song with Korean in it.
    [VIDEO]

Sorry, but I refuse to count someone as an English speaker just because they happen to listen to a song which has an English word or two.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    jragosta wrote: »
    Sorry, but I refuse to count someone as an English speaker just because they happen to listen to a song which has an English word or two.

I believe the original comment wasn't about the number of fluent English speakers but how widespread English was as a language. Did you not read my comment; I thought I made that very clear?
  • Reply 46 of 84

Quote:

There are plenty of English words in this song but I don't recall a single Western pop song with Korean in it.

I guess that Korean guy copied the steps from this crazy Indian video:

• Reply 47 of 84
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Android is, indeed, just a bloated mess.
    But if you run around the Internet a little bit, you'll find that loads of people complain about inconsistencies with the reported RAM size on Android devices quite frequently.

Take my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, for example:

LL

This device is advertised as having 1GB of RAM - yet I only have 687MB to play with. Is it wired to the Android System?
    If it is, why limit the operating system to 337MB of RAM?
    Why is there a clear memory button? Is Android's memory management that poor it needs user intervention?
    Even after clearing the memory, 387MB of RAM was still in use!
    So 337MB locked to some unknown entity and 387MB of RAM is wired to background services (which, according to the application manager, should only take up a few kilobytes each and in no way totals 300+MB)
    A device advertised with 1GB of RAM has a grand total of 300MB available to user applications.

My iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM in total of which 502MB is available to the end user. If you remove the wired memory, thats 361MB available to user applications. Half the installed ram of the Samsung yet I have more memory to play with.

LL

</rant>

Great example. Thanks for putting it together.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I believe the original comment wasn't about the number of fluent English speakers but how widespread English was as a language. Did you not read my comment; I thought I made that very clear?

Yes, I did. And then you supported it with the claim that many songs have a few English words.

I've traveled to over 25 countries for extended periods of time. There's absolutely no way that 20% of the world's population speaks English fluently. And note that the one bit of evidence you DID cite quotes a figure of nearly a billion people speaking English as a second language - but doesn't define the term. Apparently, they're including the number of people who have heard a song or two with an English word.

Native English speakers are third. Even when you add the number who regularly speak English as a second or third language it doesn't approach the number of native Mandarin speakers:
    http://www.numberof.net/number-of-english-speakers/
  • Reply 49 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The fist iPhone 5 benchmark #s have hit geekbench. 1601. In a word.. insane. For comparison, the 4S (a phone that's still incredibly fast) got 629. We're looking at almost 3X pure performance.  I'm fairly certain this completely eviscerates the S3 on all counts, regardless of ram or mhz. The S3 could have 8GB of RAM and it wouldnt make a damn difference. The below is what happens when you design your own SoC and optimize the hell out of it. The iPhone is doing this while running half the cores of the S3, half the RAM, and less clockspeed. 

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1030202

• Reply 50 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The fist iPhone 5 benchmark #s have hit geekbench. 1601. In a word.. insane. For comparison, the 4S (a phone that's still incredibly fast) got 629. We're looking at almost 3X pure performance.  I'm fairly certain this completely eviscerates the S3 on all counts, regardless of ram or mhz. The S3 could have 8GB of RAM and it wouldnt make a damn difference. The below is what happens when you design your own SoC and optimize the hell out of it. The iPhone is doing this while running half the cores of the S3, half the RAM, and less clockspeed. 

What score does the average netbook get?

• Reply 51 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealMan View Post

What does that have to do with anything? Dunno, you can try looking it up. 

• Reply 52 of 84
    Yes, I did. And then you supported it with the claim that many songs have a few English words.
    I've traveled to over 25 countries for extended periods of time. There's absolutely no way that 20% of the world's population speaks English fluently. And note that the one bit of evidence you DID cite quotes a figure of nearly a billion people speaking English as a second language - but doesn't define the term. Apparently, they're including the number of people who have heard a song or two with an English word.
    Native English speakers are third. Even when you add the number who regularly speak English as a second or third language it doesn't approach the number of native Mandarin speakers:
    http://www.numberof.net/number-of-english-speakers/

No, you didn't read it or you'd have read a sourced link to English being spoken by 1.5 B v 1.2 B for Mandarin when you count L1, L2, and EFL speakers. My second point was that's English is more widespread as being an element in the world's cultures.

All you're doing is making a very selective definition but not acknowledging that you are do so by your simplistic usage of "widely". No one said that Enlish is the most common L1 language.

Your anecdotal experience and claims that if someone can't understand every English word you speak that they must not know any English words, their meaning, or how to use them properly doesn't hold water. That is pretty ignorant to suggest that.

Bottom line, English is the most widespread language on the planet in regards to total number of speakers (as previously defined), modem infusion of words, borrowing of words, usage in entertainment and usage in technology.

All Mandarin seems to have is having the most L1 and L2 speakers. How much does Manadarin influence Western culture? Seems pretty isolated to a certain part of the world to me.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    slurpy wrote: »

I'd say it's ba question because netbooks are a useless metric in 2012. In 2010 it might have had some current relevance.

Atom probably still beats the new Apple A6 chip in most regards. The power efficiency of te chips are vastly different, as well as the OSes they run. WinXP was dog slow on the one I bought.
  • Reply 54 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Tis a rhetorical 

• Reply 55 of 84

LL

That's not quite right. Look at the Geekbench scores for Android phones:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

The SIII is 1560 (although this is the International version with 4 cores).

However, synthetic benchmarks are not all that useful for phones. What really matters is that Android is an extremely inefficient OS and there are lags and clumsiness throughout. For example, even though many phones outperformed the 4S on Geekbench, most reviewers found the 4S to be the most fluid and usable phone.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    realman wrote: »

Lol I think we'll stop seeing the "specs don't matter" copout from Apple fans. It beat the nexus 7 by like 20 points.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Another bad sales point on iOS is that Apple mostly thinks on USA market, Siri flagship is not even translated into several spoken language some of them have more native speakers in the World than English!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

You're seriously faulting Apple for not having Siri in multiple languages yet?  They are (barely) on v1.0 in their native language.  As the mass migration from iPhone 4 to 5 takes place in the coming weeks, Siri will be learning a lot.  Hardly a fault when only the 4S has it stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

English is the most spoken language worldwide. It has the most native speakers and even more non-native.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. Mandarin is #1 by a wide margin. English is either #2 or #3, depending on which source you believe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

True however most Mandarin speakers are also bilingual except for the Beijing dialect. When at home or in their village they speak their native dialect which may have some crossover in intelligibility however there are many pronunciation variations between Taiwanese and mainland Mandarin as well as the numerous dialects in other regions of so-called native speakers of Mandarin so it is not going to be an easy task to deploy Siri in Mandarin and have it be universally effective for any dialect other than Beijing. Just as they have separated UK English from North American English they will likely have to separate Mandarin into several dialects.

That may be, but it has nothing to do with the false claim that English is the most widely spoken language on the planet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I thought the language debate was stemming from the troll remark criticizing Apple for Siri not having any language other than English, but it appears it has now descended into a debate about semantics. Some have said that Siri isn't really very useful even in English. I stopped using it a few months after I got the 4s as I found it contrary to the way I have become used to using a computer, but then again it took a long time for me to warm up to iPad too. Maybe once Siri is released in Spanish I will give it another shot. It will be interesting to see how easily one can switch from one language to the other.

• Reply 58 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Lol I think we'll stop seeing the "specs don't matter" copout from Apple fans. It beat the nexus 7 by like 20 points.

Copout? Specs DON'T matter, in a VACCUUM. ie. its idiotic to sell a phone by advertising specs, as all Android OEMs do. When has Apple advertised specfic specs in its marketing?

Specs are a means to an end, which is to have a smooth, fluid, fast, useable experience with your device. Also, these numbers PROVE just how much specs don't matter, as the iPhone 5 outperforms the S3 in benchmarks, even while being underspeced. And if history is an indication, it will outperform it in a much bigger fashion in practical usage, in terms of OS speed. The 4S is stll more responsive and fluid than any Android phone I've used, including the lastest ones. But hey, you're clearly a troll with no substantial point to make, so not sure why Im even responding  

• Reply 59 of 84
    That's not quite right. Look at the Geekbench scores for Android phones:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
    The SIII is 1560 (although this is the International version with 4 cores).
    However, synthetic benchmarks are not all that useful for phones. What really matters is that Android is an extremely inefficient OS and there are lags and clumsiness throughout. For example, even though many phones outperformed the 4S on Geekbench, most reviewers found the 4S to be the most fluid and usable phone.

Actually if you consider the amount of devices it supports and the scalability of Android, its extremely efficient. I think Google's efforts so far have been to ensure Android becomes available to use on multiple devices, not just smart phones (Ouya, pocket PC, etc).

With their project butter initiative, the android os is bound to get more fluid. The Galaxy Nexus became significantly faster with a single OTA. It felt like a new phone for most people. It doesn't quite match iOS in fluidity, but its getting there.

I don't understand all the bashing on the Android OS. The ability for anyone that has an idea to make a phone or a device to simply go to the android website and download an AOSP OS, or to simply flash any number of available ROMs, is amazing, regardless if you hate the company that put it together.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Copout? Specs DON'T matter, in a VACCUUM. ie. its idiotic to sell a phone by advertising specs, as all Android OEMs do. When has Apple advertised specfic specs in its marketing?
    Specs are a means to an end, which is to have a smooth, fluid, fast, useable experience with your device. Also, these numbers PROVE just how much specs don't matter, as the iPhone 5 outperforms the S3 in benchmarks, even while being underspeced. And if history is an indication, it will outperform it in a much bigger fashion in practical usage, in terms of OS speed. The 4S is stll more responsive and fluid than any Android phone I've used, including the lastest ones. But hey, you're clearly a troll with no substantial point to make, so not sure why Im even responding  

The A6 is based on A15, so no its not underspeced, even if s3 uses a quad core. The score is about what should be expected for the numbers we saw from anandtech.