Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you never left the house before Internet-based mapping services were invented?

I upgraded my wife's 4 to iOS 6 and left mine at 5.1.1.  I went outside to get decent GPS signals, brought up the maps app on both, and had both phones plot directions to the local mall.  iOS 6/Apple maps routed the course via roads that no longer exist, iOS 5.1.1 routed me via roads that exist.  I didn't find that acceptable.  Dick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

I upgraded my wife's 4 to iOS 6 and left mine at 5.1.1.  I went outside to get decent GPS signals, brought up the maps app on both, and had both phones plot directions to the local mall.  iOS 6/Apple maps routed the course via roads that no longer exist, iOS 5.1.1 routed me via roads that exist.  I didn't find that acceptable.  Dick.

Paging Mr. Applebaum… Mr. Applebaum, you have a post on line 2. 

Show a little consideration... @runbuh has obviously lost his wife... or vice versa... More's the pity.  Runbuh.

• Reply 82 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Apple dual-core kicks sand in the face of an Android quad-core. Yep, us iSheep are just hypnotized by marketing.

I heard the next GSIV will have a 5" screen. The screen will be increased for the user experience. Not so they can house a monster battery, a replaceable graphics card and cooling fans so it can run for at least 5 minutes. Just you wait iSheep, the GSIV will destroy iPhone 5.

LOL. "kicks sand in the face"... How old are you?  This reminds me of the He-Man body-building ads in the comic books of the 1950s.  

Then there's the story of the 98-pound weakling...  He spent a summer in Alaska -- and when he came back he was a husky fucker!

• Reply 83 of 186
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Apple is wants to charge you $900 off contract for a 64gb phone and $400 for one on contract. I hope you get a reach around and some ky with that raping, for a phone that is on par with a 2 year old Android phone.

About the same as three Galaxy S III screen replacements, you'd better keep some of that KY handy if you drop your slower phone.

• Reply 84 of 186

SOT:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/09/apple-cuts-display-orders-to-samsung-loses-patent-case-in-germany.html#more

Quote:

The Korean Times is reporting this morning that "Apple has reduced purchases of liquid crystal display (LCD) panels for tablet computers from Samsung Display amid the deepening patent disputes, said a leading market research firm, Friday. Market experts said that the move is aimed at minimizing its reliance on Samsung parts." 

An analysis by DisplaySearch showed Apple bought 683,000 display sheets for use in its 9.7-inch iPad tablet from Samsung Display in August this year ? a cut by nearly 50 percent from a month earlier. 9.7-inch displays are only being used in Apple iPads.

In May, Samsung Display shipped 2.88 million sheets to Apple, which was a monthly record. But the shipments were down to 1.22 million in July from 2.5 million that Samsung sold to Apple in June, according to the research firm.

Phffffttttt... the sound of a deflating balloon!

• Reply 85 of 186
    solipsismx wrote: »
    My reaction to playing with one while the very cute Apple Store employee was on hold with Verizon CS for 20 minutes wasn't too exciting. It looks awkward after 5 years with the iPhone. It's lighter and thinner but it wasn't anything that wowed me. Maybe it was the Apple security cable on the device that was taking away from the effect because after using mine I have been surprised a few times at how light it is.
    The display is certainly better with the thinner GG2, better color representation and removal of the touch matrix being over the display. The quality is really great but that also didn't make me say wow because I expect that from the iPhone even though this really is tops for any Apple product.
    My four biggest "Wow!"s are are 1) from how small the Lightening connector is, 2) seeing it sync faster than before (should we expect faster NAND?), 3) being told it charges faster because the dynamic pins and charger can power over more pins, 4) how incredibly fast the system is compared to my iPhone 4.
    Even the >30Mbps up and >20MBps down for LTE on Verizon wasn't a "Wow!" factor because I'm use to that with my iPad (3). Not that knowing about the device and having experience with other Apple products means it takes away its usefulness. It's still absolutely wonderful upgrade.

Wow! I'm happy that a beautiful mind responded to me!

I can see how the cute girl would be a plus to guys. "Sex sells" is something I hear a lot.

I've seen the security devices I believe, but I don't go to stores often so I don't know how they detract from the experience. I only go to stores for clothes. You do have to try them on after all... Unless you get custom.

I'm really interested in the quality. I think stainless steel is an amazing non-ferrous metal. I didn't like the fact that Apple changed to Al, which also carries with it all of the problems with Al. However with my iPad 3 (or new iPad) there doesn't seem to be a problem with dissimilar metals. Everything seems to be distanced well and no bonding seems apparent. Well engineered!

I gather you went to the store to purchase your phone. I didn't read anything about stock outs. Even on Apple sites. Should be interesting both to investors and speculators.

How is the new connector? Is it really that much faster? Do you think Apple should put it in the iPad right now as an 'unnoticed' update?

I'm also reading about how much faster it is. If my iPhone 4 is working with no 'tech verbiage' stutters on iOS 6, will I notice? I would love Siri on my phone but having it on the iPad is almost better. I have the knowledge to do it but my father says "Right is always right. You have no need to cheat."

Also, it supposedly charges faster. Do you believe it would charge the iPad 3 faster? Irrelevant, because the three will never have that connector and the next one will be battery optimized for the new chip.

LTE is a relatively market ploy. Those that use it are never far from WiFi. Those that do not are not near anything useful. It is definitely faster than WiFi though. While trying to heat up my iPad during the heat issues I was playing movies over LTE for quite a long time (LTE is available in Boston). My iPad never heated up.
  • Reply 86 of 186
    I wouldn't get too excited, iSheep. The latest flagship model of ANY phone is usually the fastest. It will be usurped by the end of the year.

You heard it here first. 8)
  • Reply 87 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

What a ridiculous reply....seriously!

Seriously, about as ridiculous the post it was in response to.

Apple's new maps have a report feature.

Find something wrong, drop a pin, report what exactly is wrong.

If enough people around the world do this then the better the maps will be.

That's called crowd sourcing.

I have already reported a couple of errors.

btw here's a screenshot of a pretty complex road junction, Australia seems to have pretty good flyover views.

Unfortunately, we've been at it a bit longer than you:

• Reply 88 of 186
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I wouldn't get too excited, iSheep. The latest flagship model of ANY phone is usually the fastest. It will be usurped by the end of the year.

When you purchase a category of phone that is in the majority, who exactly is the 'iSheep'?

When you're ready for build-quality, style, and refinement rather than penis-enhancing specs, visit an Apple store.

• Reply 89 of 186
    gtr wrote: »
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Try doing it in person. My dear father pays a person to prevent what you are implying.

Have you ever seen a Football tackle? It's funnier in person!
  • Reply 90 of 186
    penis-enhancing

Yes your quote is taken extremely out of context.

Also, thank you for 'bringing that to the table'.
  • Reply 91 of 186
    waverunnr wrote: »

Water flows downhill.

You heard it here first!
  • Reply 92 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Yes your quote is taken extremely out of context.

Also, thank you for 'bringing that to the table'.

Sorry for the loud sound...

• Reply 93 of 186
    Sorry for the loud sound...

S
    LL

That was funny!

...oh wait? Not really.

Leave posting cool pics to those that used to post cool pics.
  • Reply 94 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

That was funny!

...oh wait? Not really.

Leave posting cool pics to those that used to post cool pics.

Please feel free to lead by example, Oh Great One!

• Reply 95 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

When you purchase a category of phone that is in the majority, who exactly is the 'iSheep'?

When you're ready for build-quality, style, and refinement rather than penis-enhancing specs, visit an Apple store.

Build Quality - No, try the Oppo Finder, that phone can hammer a nail to a wooden board and not break (Literally, check out the youtube video), and it's the thinnest smartphone ever (Unlike what Apple has you believing)

Style - Yes, if you're the guy that pulls out his iPhone just to impress other people (Because NOBODY has the iPhone /s)

Refinement - Definitely true, probably the best iPhone has going for them (If you discount the downgrade iOS 6 brought with garbage Maps)

• Reply 96 of 186
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Actually, it should be usurped quicker than that. The problem is that it will be 'usurped' by a phone with cheap plastic body, poor battery life and running laggy apps on top of a stolen JVM.

The speed is a nice bonus, but that's not what makes it a better phone.

• Reply 97 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Actually, it should be usurped quicker than that. The problem is that it will be 'usurped' by a phone with cheap plastic body, poor battery life and running laggy apps on top of a stolen JVM.

The speed is a nice bonus, but that's not what makes it a better phone.

Stolen JVM? Didn't a jury find Google not guilty?

• Reply 98 of 186
    Say hello to Jelly Bean.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099

S3 Geekbench score 1781.
    And all that all with the disadvantage of the bigger screen.

The rest will follow.

• Reply 99 of 186
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nathillien wrote: »
    Say hello to Jelly Bean.
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099
    S3 Geekbench score 1781.
    And all that all with the disadvantage of the bigger screen.
    The rest will follow.

Once again, how about a side-by-side comparison under the same conditions? Especially one where the test conditions are spelled out.

Many of the Geekbench numbers are based on hacked phones where many, if not most, features have been deactivated in order to get very high performance.

PC Magazine, OTOH, ran side-by-side tests of various phones using a pretty wide variety of tests and under controlled conditions. Anyone but a fandroid would consider that to be much more reliable.
  • Reply 100 of 186
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    hill60 wrote: »
    I believe it has something to do with the LTE drivers, the International quad core version does not have LTE.

Then the dual core would be a more accurate comparison, because the iPhone 5 has LTE, making it better like-for-like comparison. Quad core may be faster, but I don't expect anyone that wants the most advanced phone would reach for one without LTE.