Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy denying yourself a device for six months for no reason beyond irrational fears.

Not necessarily irrational.  I have had two kernel panics in two days on my MBP Retina.  Quite a few other people are having the problem as well.  Being an early adopter with Apple can be a worry at times.  Of course in usual Apple style, they don't acknowledge there is a problem and don't tell anyone if they are working on a fix.  If they do come up with a fix, they still don't tell anyone, just slip it into an OS update and hope those afflicted do the update at some point.

So I'm currently having a nervous time beta testing for Apple and hoping they can fix it with software and that there isn't an intrinsic hardware problem.

• Reply 102 of 186

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They tell you to use a kayak, just for fun I got directions to a Facebook invite in New York, here's a screenshot I took a couple of months ago:-

B…b…but… seven years! Not months! You're obviously lying. Google has had time to fix this by now.

• Reply 103 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SOT:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/09/apple-cuts-display-orders-to-samsung-loses-patent-case-in-germany.html#more

Phffffttttt... the sound of a deflating balloon!

Being made up for possibly by Apple having to go cap in hand to Samsung asking for more MBP Retina screens, because the ones from LG/Sharp are rubbish.  On the Apple support forums there's quite a thread about MBP Retina screen problems.  Those who find they have a Samsung screen breathe a sigh of relief while those who don't groan or make other unhappy noises.

• Reply 104 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Then the dual core would be a more accurate comparison, because the iPhone 5 has LTE, making it better like-for-like comparison. Quad core may be faster, but I don't expect anyone that wants the most advanced phone would reach for one without LTE.

Except perhaps the overwhelming majority of the world's phone users who don't have access to LTE.

Of course Samsung recently announced they had produced the worlds first A15 core based mobile SOC.  When they get that beast into a phone, and the iP5 no longer has the speed crown, benchmarks will again become a dirty word.

• Reply 105 of 186

It looks like Fandroids now Haemorrhoids after these results.

• Reply 106 of 186
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mac.world wrote: »
    What is sad is that you don't know the reason and have to ask. This is what happens when you are 2 years behind the times on tech for a phone.
    I do like all the copying Apple did in ios6 though. VIP Mail? LOL Gee, so original. Notification center is still just a clone of the Android original. Hell, Apple ran out of ideas and has to rehash the same design every year. Same with ios. Looks the samr today as it did in 2007. Yawn. And i see you still cant do the most basic of functions like attach files to an email. Or look at a single file or folder. How about connecting some devices like a mouse or maybe a game controller? No?
    Apple maps is just plain crap. Most of the buildings and roads in downtown LA melted. Apple couldn't even map their own HQ right! And battery life is the same as the 4S, so in other words, it's shitty. S3 lasts several hours longer, and of course, in 2 seconds you have 100% power again. The speed and smoothness of the S3 puts the crappy stretched turd of an iphone to shame. And of course, Apple is wants to charge you $900 off contract for a 64gb phone and $400 for one on contract. I hope you get a reach around and some ky with that raping, for a phone that is on par with a 2 year old Android phone. But hey, at least you have some benchmarks you can fall back on to cling to the belief you have a good phone.
    I find you ifanboys entertaining. So easily impressed with an antiquated phone and stole operating system that is severely lacking. Anyway, you can get back to jerking each other off and swallowing more Apple juice.

It's not insulting to use such slurs when your writing and formatting are at the seventh grade level.

For one, I don't pay close attention to phone specs between upgrades because contracts last two years, anything in between makes no difference to me because it will all be replaced by new models. I also have no reason to know the minutiae of phones that won't reach my shores either.
  • Reply 107 of 186

Sorry, haters, the iPhone 5 is the fastest phone around with the most advanced architecture in an SoC.

Next gen processors? They are already here. The iPhone 5 even beats the newest Snapdragon S4 Pro. In case you're wondering the S4 Pro has four Krait cores clocked at 1.5-1.7GHz (where the regular S4 has two cores) and has the latest Adreno 320 GPU. And even with with twice the cores and being clocked 50% faster the iPhone 5 still beats them in Sunspider and Browsermark.

In the "synthetic" Geekbench, the newest S4 Pro come in at 1,750-1,800, so it's slightly faster than the iPhone 5.

In GLBench for graphics, there are two S4 Pro's listed. One has numbers slightly slower than the iPhone 5 and the other is slightly faster. The LG phone that was slower is clocked at 1.5GHz. No clock is given for the faster phone, but the S4 Pro can go to 1.7GHz (according to Qualcomm), and considering the difference in numbers it's very likely this phone is running at 1.7GHz.

So it takes the next gen processors four cores and 1.7GHz to finally unseat the iPhone 5. Wow, that S4 Pro is one heck of a processor. /S/S/S/S/S/S

And we haven't even gotten to power consumption yet. :)

EDIT: Xiaomi claims their S4 Pro is in fact clocked at 1.5GHz, so not sure why they benchmark faster than others.

• Reply 108 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    runbuh wrote: »
    I upgraded my wife's 4 to iOS 6 and left mine at 5.1.1.  I went outside to get decent GPS signals, brought up the maps app on both, and had both phones plot directions to the local mall.  iOS 6/Apple maps routed the course via roads that no longer exist, iOS 5.1.1 routed me via roads that exist.  I didn't find that acceptable.  Dick.

First off why do you need GPS to get to the Mall? Second keeping databases updated for GPS systems is an ongoing problem that all GPS systems suffer from. There is an expectation that people make rational evaluations of the routes offered up to make sure they jive with reality.

Apples Maps certainly has issues, that can't be denied, but coming up with artificial tests and then declaring the software useless is garbage. There isn't a GPS system out there that is 100% accurate, this simple due to time lag in many cases.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I love how AI forum goers can troll themselves in the absence of real trolls.

• Reply 110 of 186

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I love how AI forum goers can troll themselves in the absence of real trolls.

I love how you think there's an "absence" of trolls…

????

• Reply 111 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Unfortunately, we've been at it a bit longer than you:

And yet, you have so little to show for it. 

For you folks watching the show from home, please enjoy the double entendre.

• Reply 112 of 186
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Say hello to Jelly Bean.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099

S3 Geekbench score 1781.

And all that all with the disadvantage of the bigger screen.

The rest will follow.

...and only 888Mb of RAM.

What happened to the rest?

• Reply 113 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off why do you need GPS to get to the Mall? Second keeping databases updated for GPS systems is an ongoing problem that all GPS systems suffer from. There is an expectation that people make rational evaluations of the routes offered up to make sure they jive with reality.

Apples Maps certainly has issues, that can't be denied, but coming up with artificial tests and then declaring the software useless is garbage. There isn't a GPS system out there that is 100% accurate, this simple due to time lag in many cases.

It called a test case/scenario, something Apple should have used more before they replaced a less-then-perfect mapping application with a clearly inferior substitute.

• Reply 114 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not insulting to use such slurs when your writing and formatting are at the seventh grade level.

For one, I don't pay close attention to phone specs between upgrades because contracts last two years, anything in between makes no difference to me because it will all be replaced by new models. I also have no reason to know the minutiae of phones that won't reach my shores either.

Obviously the seventh grade writing level is above you.

• Reply 115 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

What fear?  I just don't like paying top dollar for a phone that doesn't work as well as it should -- and I don't like getting lost.

So far, the phone works as advertised. Maps works, has some kinks but so far so good. If you're that dependent on a maps program without getting lost, consider a regular phone and an atlas!

• Reply 116 of 186
    runbuh wrote: »

It called a test case/scenario, something Apple should have used more before they replaced a less-then-perfect mapping application with a clearly inferior substitute.

Apple made the right choice in ditching google maps.
  • Reply 117 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Stolen JVM? Didn't a jury find Google not guilty?

not guilty is not the same as innocent!

• Reply 118 of 186

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

not guilty is not the same as innocent!

Though that IS the definition of innocent, you're right in that courts often get things wrong.

• Reply 119 of 186
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hill60 wrote: »

You're missing out on half the fun of Android. They can name a phone something like the Galaxy SIII, but that still doesn't tell you what the phone is. Different processors, different amounts of RAM and no way of knowing without checking.

Add that to the "what version of Android did my brand new phone come with" and "what are the chances that I'll ever be able to upgrade the OS on my phone or get security patches" and it's a world of fun.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    hill60 wrote: »

The International version only has the 1GB RAM, not 2GB like the other variations. It's also one of the two that has the quad-core Cortex-A9 but I think it's built on the 45nm process so it's very power hungry. I'd rather take the dual-core Krait — essential Cortex-A9 but with many aspects coming to Cortex-A15, not unlike the iPhone 5's A6 — but without al the crap that T-Mobile, AT&T, et al. have added to it the ROM to slow it down.

postulant wrote: »
    Apple made the right choice in ditching google maps.

I agree with this, but I don't agree with the time in which they did it or their seemingly lack of interest in any StreetView-like feature.

Note: I was recorded in line yesterday for the iPhone by a NAVTEQ car. I could see Apple simply licensing their tech instead of doing their own even though they surely could have with ease. It's not like we didn't know about Apple's Maps plans years ago.