Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"

Comments

• Reply 161 of 186

Right, because that video shows an accurate sampling of iPhone owners. LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, that's too bad..  seems like the average iphone users can't tell the difference anyway..

not sure what your point is...   GS III JB (pre-release) already produced better geekbench results (clearly indicating that it's not a raw cpu performance issue); Note II, to be released in mid-Novemeber, is also known to perform much better than GS III (hence Note II > iPhone 5).  Samsung makes over 20+ smartphone models for the US market; some with much shorter product release cycle.  Furthermore, my understanding is that Apple routinely underc-locks Ax chips to conserve battery life - and this is where Samsung Galaxy S2 falls short -, so clearly Apple is not necessarily interested in this mindless spec race.

Well, enjoy your 15-minutes. *yawn* bye.

• Reply 163 of 186
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Bwa ha ha ha

Did you actually laugh then have to type this, not actually laugh then made up that you did and had typed it, or just typed it because you thought it would convey a false confidence about the poor choice of smartphone that you appear to have made?

• Reply 164 of 186
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

We definitely need Mac.World to explain those results to us.

• Reply 165 of 186

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Did you actually laugh then have to type this, not actually laugh then made up that you had typed it, or just typed it because you thought it would convey a false confidence about the poor choice of smartphone that you appear to have made?

He was dictating with Siri. He's a closet hypocrite.

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

We definitely need Mac.World to explain those results to us.

Apple paid Anandtech, just like they paid the jury to get Samsung declared guilty. If they can afford a jury and judge, they can afford a little review.

• Reply 166 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

------snip------

I see your original post has already been edited, as I had predicted. Since many of your complaints have been addressed by another member I don't need to go over all of them, but I'll expand on a few of them.

Where I work all our documents are stored on a corporate server. There's no need to store local versions on my phone. For my personal files I use a USB thumb drive I keep on my keychain. I can plug it into any PC without having to carry a cable to plug in my smartphone. Even works where there's no wireless.

You can get adaptors to allow you to connect memory cards to your iDevice. There are also external drives made to work with iDevices as well. Most people don't buy them (which proves it's not something people need), but for people who have different requirements there are choices available.

Customize your home screen with icon placements and widgets? Ooooh, the standard comeback for an Android apologist. Don't need it, don't care. Windows also has widgets (gadgets) and of the countless PC's I've fixed for friends over the years I've never come across anyone who uses them. There are only 3 important things I need to be made aware of: phone calls, e-mails and text messages. These are all handled by notifications. I've never seen a widget yet that actually provided something I needed. If there was, I would have probably switched to Android to get something so "necessary".

Run games with emulators? I thought Android users didn't waste time with games and only used their phones for "serious bizzness"? I don't need to waste my time with crappy games when iOS has a great selection of games actually written natively for it. And since iPhones mop the floor with Android phones as far as GPU's go, I get games that look better and run smoother than anything on Android.

Of course, with developers working on iOS projects at a rate of more than 2:1 compared to Android, I also have a better selection of Apps. Despite that amazing 1.3 million devices a day Google brags about activating it hasn't done anything to cause developers to flock to writing programs for Android and all those paying customers. You see, App developers are smart enough to see what's really going on which is why they don't waste their time with Android and put their resources into iOS. Especially tablet Apps, which are horrid on Android.

The real problem with your list (and all the various "lists" Android fans/Apple haters like to create) is they answer the questions nobody asked. You can list off all sorts of things you can do, but can't give any practical daily situation they would be required or wouldn't already be addressed by using another, more efficient method.

And since I'm sure you're going to be hanging on to that Geekbench score, here's something to think about: The GS2 Quad Core only manages to be 11% faster than the iPhone 5 in Geekbench. But it's clocked 40% faster. And it has 4 cores instead of 2. So please tell me what's so impressive about a processor that should be at least 100% faster but only manages to be 11% faster?

• Reply 167 of 186
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I see your original post has already been edited, as I had predicted. Since many of your complaints have been addressed by another member I don't need to go over all of them, but I'll expand on a few...

Wow.

The Half Bee wasn't half-assed about showing Mac.World the finer points of intelligence, was he!

Mac.World just got owned.

And in public.

Bummer.
  • Reply 168 of 186

Now that the troll has been taken care of, I am quite impressed with the benchmarks (especially from Anandtech).  I mean I knew the iPhone 5 was going to be fast but honestly I thought it was going to be what the iPhone 4S was around the time it came out.  the 4S was fast but it had some close contenders.  iPhone 5 just blows away everything.  I mean it even beat the iPad 3 in some graphic tests.  I understand its due to the high resolution of the iPad 3 but that's some serious horsepower.  

• Reply 169 of 186
    postulant wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »

I agree with this, but I don't agree with the time in which they did it or their seemingly lack of interest in any StreetView-like feature.
    Note: I was recorded in line yesterday for the iPhone by a NAVTEQ car. I could see Apple simply licensing their tech instead of doing their own even though they surely could have with ease. It's not like we didn't know about Apple's Maps plans years ago.
    StreetView or a better alternative will come. Because mapping cant be cultivated to perfection in a lab, Apple had no choice but to get maps in the hands of users. The longer maps sat on the shelf, the stronger Google's chokehold became.

People keep saying it took Google 8 years to get here... As if it will take Apple that long. People must remember that Apple has the advantage of 500,000,000 mobile device in the wild now - as users use the service, data will come.

It was a smart move. I only wish they did it sooner.

Very late reply to this post.

I use Street view maybe two or three times a year in little fits of usage.

It's not as important to me as it is to some of you – but when you need it, it's indispensable.

So I bought a little $.99 app called StreetViewer. I've been playing with it for about an hour and I've been able to find everything I needed to find -- from the Old Curiosity Shop in London to former addresses of old girlfriends.

It is based on Google maps data but it is better than the Google maps app.

It can show overview and Street view concurrently in separate windows.

The overview can be map, hybrid or satellite.

You can zoom in and zoom out in the overview window.

You can reposition the location on a macro level in the overview window.

You can navigate more rapidly than Google Maps street view in either window.

It has search and is aware of context.

You can use Siri for input.

When you are positioned, you can eliminate the overview window giving a full screen street view.

To me, It's worth the $.99 not have to bitch about it. And, it is far superior to the Street view in iOS 5 Google maps.

I would use it over street view in iOS 5 Google maps.
  • Reply 170 of 186

The results of the testing at Barefeats.com shows the iphone 5 to be almost 300% faster than the S3 on the LINPACK benchmark.  I tried it on a friend's phone and got similar results, with the iPhone showing 587 Mflops/s, compared to Galaxy SIII score of 154 Mflops/s.   Not sure how useful the LINPACK scores are in mobile device, but it is the benchmark that has been used to determine the fastest Supercomputer in the world.    With this score, the iPhone 5 would close to being one of the Top 500 supercomputers in the world in 1993 (not too long ago)

• Reply 171 of 186
    howyoudoin wrote: »
    1.  Why do I need folders?   I can copy and paste on my iPhone file,  I can copy an entire document or photo without issue.  
    2.  I'll agree with you on this one, Apple needs to work on this
    3. I can check email while watching a video.  I can also listen to music while using turn by turn voice navigation. Receive skype messages or a skype call while multitasking.   Also gps navigation works while talking on the phone.  Multitasking is important but no reason to sacrifice battery life because of useless multitasking.
    4.  Cloud storage is defeating the purpose of wasting space in the phone for a memory card.
    5.  An external drive on my phone....why?
    6. Airplay, bluetooth keyboard do work on a iPhone.  This feature would be more useful on a iPad.  I see the benefits of it.
    7. imap for email so non-issue, Photos and documents on in iCloud now.  
    8. Clearly Maps is having issues, Apple decided that they are no longer going to pay to use Google Maps.  It'll get better over time but there are 3rd party alternatives out there.  Personally I never use public transportation so it'll be a non-issue for many but for those yes its an issue until Apple adds it.  
    9.  Thankfully the majority of 3rd party developers on the App Store actually update their apps.  I would say about 80% of the apps on my iPhone 4 (haven't upgraded yet) have added support for the iPhone 5 already.  Android users will have more of an issue with app compatibility then iPhone users http://pocketnow.com/android/google-getting-more-explicit-with-android-app-compatibility
    10.  How are you going to watch a video and read a recipe on a small phone at the same time?
    11. Apps have permission to local photo storage.  I'm not sure why they haven't added the feature to safari yet but would love this ability.
    12. I don't need any of these.  I don't need folders in folders, don't you understand that actually makes things harder?  You want your phone to run like windows which is just awful.  For those who want the full customization, jailbreak. 
    13. Voiding your warranty but enjoy.  I don't need to overclock because iOS and the hardware get along very nicely
    14. Technically illegal but if an iphone user would like to do this they would have to jailbreak there phone because emulators are available on cydia.  
    15.  Yes since iOS 5 I haven't touched iTunes.  It's not needed for backups (iCloud) and you can buy everything on the phone now.  

Also in relation to the the new lightning connector, how many times have phone connectors changed in the past 9 years?  Heck even pick one manufacturer and let me know.

Yes iOS isn't perfect because I listed several features I would love to have in the next iOS. 

Do you want me to list some issues I have with android phones?   Number 1 would easily be having to wait months (sometimes over a year) for android OS updates.  You can argue with me how you can just root your phone but honestly I could use the jailbreak argument to cover almost every missing feature you listed.

Fanboyism is a joke on both sides.  Android is the best thing for Apple, it forces Apple to innovate and the same on the Android side.  Remember the retina display, how many phones before the iPhone 4 came close to it, but think of how many android phones have substantially better resolution after?  

Apple's A6 CPU wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for the competition from Samsung, HTC, etc.  

#2 and #11 are fixed in iOS 6. I've tried adding photos to emails (tap & hold, scroll right in options list) already. I haven't tried the other one (uploading photos from Safari) yet, but it's in the release notes.
  • Reply 172 of 186

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I see your original post has already been edited, as I had predicted.

That was me. I did that just to get rid of the insults, nothing more. I actually locked the post afterward, so he won't be changing it himself anytime soon.

• Reply 173 of 186
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    garyyds wrote: »
    The results of the testing at Barefeats.com shows the iphone 5 to be almost 300% faster than the S3 on the LINPACK benchmark.  I tried it on a friend's phone and got similar results, with the iPhone showing 587 Mflops/s, compared to Galaxy SIII score of 154 Mflops/s.   Not sure how useful the LINPACK scores are in mobile device, but it is the benchmark that has been used to determine the fastest Supercomputer in the world.    With this score, the iPhone 5 would close to being one of the Top 500 supercomputers in the world in 1993 (not too long ago)

That's a pretty impressive result - not just the iphone, but the idea that the power of one of the world's top computers from 20 years ago can now fit in your pocket. I wonder how far back you'd have to go for the iPhone to be equal to the fastest computer in the world. I'm guessing around 1985.
  • Reply 174 of 186
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's a pretty impressive result - not just the iphone, but the idea that the power of one of the world's top computers from 20 years ago can now fit in your pocket. I wonder how far back you'd have to go for the iPhone to be equal to the fastest computer in the world. I'm guessing around 1985.

Can you also fit 15.8 terabytes in your pants?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 175 of 186

The Apple A6 appears to be slightly superior to the 1982 Cray X-MP dual-CPU at 400 Mflops while the 1984 Cray X-MP/48 quad-CPU at 800 Mflops theoretically outperforms the Apple A6 although the Apple A6 is a single, dual-core CPU. Here is a Cray X-MP in the movie Tron from 1982, look for the multi-colored vertical stripes the foreground of the scene as that is the Cray X-MP supercomputer.

The 1990 Cray Y-MP Model E quad-CPU theoretically reached 2.6 Gflops. Assuming Moore's Law remains applicable, the Apple A8 could surpass 1 Gflops which suggests the Apple A10 would surpass the Cray Y-MP Model E presumably in 2016.

In 1994, Fujitsu's Numerical Wind Tunnel supercomputer with 166 vector processors performing at 1.7 Gflops each reached a phenomenal 236 Gflops.

In 1995, the Intel ASCI Red supercomputer exceeded the 1 Tflop barrier eventually surpassing the 2 Tflop barrier to hold the title of fastest supercomputer until the end of the 20th Century.

At the current rate of innovation, presumably, the Apple A18 would exceed the 1 Tflop barrier in 2024 assuming Moore's Law remains applicable.
  • Reply 176 of 186

Can you also fit 15.8 terabytes in your pants?

[VIDEO]

I can hardly wait until they get bump to share!
  • Reply 177 of 186

I hate to take it to the next level but I can't resist: Docking as defined by Urban Dictionary.

NSFW for work, children, or humanity in general despite it only being a text description. Have made the link as small as possible to help avoid any accidental clicks.

PS: Jokes about defragging your hard drive and disk cleanup are welcome.
  • Reply 178 of 186

I hate to take it to the next level but I can't resist: Docking as defined by Urban Dictionary.

NSFW for work, children, or humanity in general despite it only being a text description. Have made the link as small as possible to help avoid any accidental clicks.

PS: Jokes about defragging your hard drive and disk cleanup are welcome.

Actually I went in a different direction… I was surfing to see if I could find an old audio by Redd Foxx regarding the horse race between my dick and pussy willow.

My dick was supposed to be ridden by jockey strap. But jockey strap was thrown off before the race and was replaced by a crabbe...

The race was a photo finish... pussy willow won -- my dick almost caught her in the stretch, but missed her by a hair!

Edit: Does me posting this qualify as self-dickrecating?
  • Reply 179 of 186
    Somewhat back on topic…

The 2 fastest phones that I ordered for me and my grandson were supposed to be ready for shipment on the 28th. Both have been shipped and will deliver on the 28th… And be included in Apple's quarterly results.
  • Reply 180 of 186
    Has anyone else been having issues with the responsiveness of the touch screen on the iPhone 5? There are often times where I have to hit a button multiple times for it to register, as when I type it will often push keys I know I wasn't pushing. I never had these problems with legacy iPhones, and it has been pretty prevalent for me with this one.