Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 142
    I think every one of them is great! Apple has had different, but great ads in the past. And I think these are great, in a new way.

They DO show off the product well, along with being humorous, a bit thought provoking, and generally draw the person in to watch the entire advertisement and become part of the "scene". They draw you in. The "old" ads did a great job of explaining the features. These explain some of the features, and draw you into the experience, in my opinion.

Great job!
  • Reply 42 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like the Thumb idea. I like they demoed the panorama and explained the EarPods ads. I dislike the physics one.

Overall, I would say they are making them feel like they are trying to attract a dumber crowd with the way they speak to the viewer but perhaps that's needed after more than 5 year and having already attracted all the intelligent, attractive people.

What? I totally think the opposite of you on the "Overall..." synopsis, Solip, and I generally agree with most of what you have to say. Sorry. :-/

• Reply 43 of 142
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

EDIT: Yeah, you guys think everything sucks. 

• Reply 44 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I keep hearing that these ads are pretentious. But the only thing that seems pretentious to me these days are certain Apple fans that rip everything Apple does. And chime in with their obligatory "Steve would never have allowed this" crap.
  • Reply 45 of 142
    crisp new ads yo!
  • Reply 46 of 142
    I think Apple should emphasize the one-handed operations. I mean, how many times do we need to take a picture with just one hand?
  • Reply 47 of 142

You guys do know that if you agree with Apple on this whole thumb nonsense, you are agreeing that 4" display is the only way to go, thus any new iPhone will always be 4 inch display, and there will never be a redesign... ever (Aside from outer hardware which does absolutely NOTHING in terms of functionality, which is the reason why people buy smartphones in the first place).

But of course, we all know this is just them trying to make the competition look foolish, and in 2 years when they increase the screen size they'll say "We have found that 4.5 inches, while it can be slightly difficult for the minority of iPhone users, most user are quite capable of using the iPhone with 1 thumb using a 4.5 inch display."

• Reply 48 of 142
    The average Android smartphone user has fingers that stretch a lot further than iPhone users. That's why they're so comfortable using 4.8" and larger displays. You ever see the length of the fingers on a chimpanzee?
    LOL!!! STOP STOP....LOL!!!!!
  • Reply 49 of 142
    All superb. Pithy, funny, attention-grabbing, and with an attitude

Nice to see Apple getting some mojo/punch back in its advertising.
    Yep!
  • Reply 50 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (inhale) eeeeeeeeeese!

That seems longer than the real panorama mode. I can smell a class action suit coming ;)

• Reply 51 of 142
    gregoriusm wrote: »
    What? I totally think the opposite of you on the "Overall..." synopsis, Solip, and I generally agree with most of what you have to say. Sorry. :-/

"How can something be bigger and smaller?" just sounds like a brain teaser I might ask an 8yo, hence by dislike for it. I don't think my other ad comments need further explanation. What are your thoughts on each ad?

PS: It's OK to disagree. I usually agree with you but I'm quite content to know that your PoV is vastly different because I know you've thought about your response instead of making knee-jerk reaction.
  • Reply 52 of 142

The panoroma ad is classic Apple - show it in action without mentioning the word panorama (so unlike Samsung's ad, which practically spells out panorama). As for the thumb and physics ads, they are pointing out design features and may even seem defensive.

• Reply 53 of 142
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    You guys do know that if you agree with Apple on this whole thumb nonsense, you are agreeing that 4" display is the only way to go, thus any new iPhone will always be 4 inch display, and there will never be a redesign... ever (Aside from outer hardware which does absolutely NOTHING in terms of functionality, which is the reason why people buy smartphones in the first place).

But of course, we all know this is just them trying to make the competition look foolish, and in 2 years when they increase the screen size they'll say "We have found that 4.5 inches, while it can be slightly difficult for the minority of iPhone users, most user are quite capable of using the iPhone with 1 thumb using a 4.5 inch display."

I don't know about these ads. The marveling kid within me has died a long time ago. On the other hand, I absolutely dig that marvelously informative Galaxy S3 ad. It touches upon the anthropological, sociological, and technological dimensions of life in the trenches.

So much so, ...that it got me to stand in line to buy one of 'em beauties yesterday. And what a marketing strategy to sell them at an Apple Store, tucked within a handier shell, with the Apple logo on the back ! Hats off, ...these guys at Samsung are brilliant.
  • Reply 54 of 142

Who says Apple will ever have a 4.5" display? Personally I think the bigger is better meme will die out. Especially if battery technology improves to where you don't need a humongous battery to get great battery life. Did Android OEM's really make bigger screen phones because they thought they were better or because they're slaves to the telecoms and you need a bigger battery with LTE? Ultimately the sales figures will tell us the real truth, If a bigger screen is THAT important to people iPhone sales will drop off. So far based on pre-sales figures that isn't happening.

To me design is about a lot more than screen size. While the Galaxy S3 got great reviews for many things, design wasn't one of them. And Nokia? They've been using the same basic design on their phones for a while now. N90. Lumia 800, 900 and 920 all look basically the same except for the screen size getting bigger. Plus the new HTC Windows Phone 8 phones look just like the Lumia's (Nokia even commented on it).
  • Reply 55 of 142
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

... But of course, we all know this is just them trying to make the competition look foolish, and in 2 years when they increase the screen size they'll say ...

I can't believe that anyone is silly enough to believe this.  You have a twisted view of the world.

I bet you are one of those "everything is a conspiracy" people, right?  

• Reply 56 of 142

Originally Posted by natesf View Post

Wow! These are horrible in a way that I never thought possible from Apple. Yikes! Apple -- pull these down like the "Genius" batch. I never make comments here -- I think the last time was like 10 years ago -- these adds are so bad so bad I had to figure out my Appleinsider account info to share my disgust. YUCK!

You were saying?

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

You guys do know that if you agree with Apple on this whole thumb nonsense, you are agreeing that 4" display is the only way to go, thus any new iPhone will always be 4 inch display, and there will never be a redesign... ever 

You do know that you've just exposed yourself in a way worse than nudity, right?

(Aside from outer hardware which does absolutely NOTHING in terms of functionality, which is the reason why people buy smartphones in the first place).

YOU HEAR THAT, FANDROIDS? YOU BUY PHONES BECAUSE OF FUNCTIONALITY. ONE OF YOUR OWN SAID SO. SO I DON'T WANT TO HEAR DIDDLY ABOUT PHONE DESIGN ANYMORE, CAPISCHE? 

But of course, we all know this is just them trying to make the competition look foolish

• Reply 57 of 142
    deleted
  • Reply 58 of 142
    kellya74u wrote: »
    I find it strange that after Apple dumped the integrated YouTube app with my 50 favorites selected over the years, that they either put or allow their commercials to play & be watched on Google's YouTube. Maybe it's an in-your-face to Google, or an oversight, giving Google ad revenues every time some the Apple commercials play, attracting millions of viewers worldwide. Why not put them on Vimeo? I have no favorites there.
    The old YouTube app sucked. There's a new one already available for iPhone and I'm sure google will have one for iPad too.
  • Reply 59 of 142
    Would have rather heard Jeff Goldblum's voice. Not Apple's best work.
  • Reply 60 of 142

Couldn't agree more. I love them and think they are all Very effective. The subtle "apple-esque" music in the background is charming. JD's voice is perfectly suited for Apple ads, sincere with a tinge of snarky.