Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 142
    I was taught that, being right-handed, you're supposed to do that… I've never worn a watch on my right.
    Wristwatches are intended to be worn on the left wrist (or at least they originally were), because the watch stem is on the right side for ease of adjustment or winding by the right hand.
  • Reply 102 of 142
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

The buying public clearly disagrees with you, since the number of total phones larger than 4-in is greater than the number of iPhones sold.

Because for whatever reason, that's all that Android manufacturers are making right now. In 2007, the total number of phones with small non-touch screens and physical keyboard far outsold the number of iPhones sold. In 1990, the number of DOS PCs far outsold the number of Macs. Yet today we are using phones with large touchscreens and computers with graphical user interfaces.

• Reply 103 of 142
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, this is seriously one of my favorite Apple ads of ALL TIME. Cheeky. Fun. Creative. Cool. It makes you want the product.

This was always my favorite Mac Design - it's in the Smithsonian I think.  The lack of screen orientation adjustability (height, angle, cantilever) ever since in the name of some Ives aesthetic has always disappointed me - even if it would have to be engineered differently on a 27" screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

The panoroma ad is classic Apple - show it in action without mentioning the word panorama (so unlike Samsung's ad, which practically spells out panorama). As for the thumb and physics ads, they are pointing out design features and may even seem defensive.

The thumb ad feels defensive because it essentially is defensive.  It's not a "thumb" ad so much as it is "Hey, seriously, there IS an important reason why we don't make our screens wider.  Don't give in to the dark two-thumbs required side of the UI Force just 'cos their screens show photo material larger" (and with more real estate in some of the top competitors) (one of which at least temporarily near the end of our upgrade cycle outsold our flagship for a month this year).

As long as Apple is committed to one hand operation being a core component of "the iPhone experience" they're not gonna go wider (unless they justify it in a new commercial that takes a page from the "earpod" one, e.g.:

"People have different thumb sizes.  That's why, while Apple remains the easiest phone to use with with one hand and always will, but why we make two sizes.  I haven't done the math, but with 4" being at 326 PPI, they could likely go to maybe 4.3 without dipping below the "retina" threshold of 300.  Or, since they're below 720p at 1136 x 640 they could give developers more work to do with their first iteration that doesn't simply double the previous one, but scales it up by a fraction to hit that HD threshold.  (Or I get confused - the publications are saying several phones, e.g., the forthcoming Nokia 920 exceed the iPhone's PPI.......and Apple's pixels aren't doubled against these, right?).

But at some point Apple's gonna have to appeal to the phablet fans with some kind of variant or permanently lose a large niche in the market......  ....they're just too compelling for average folk (and many techies even).  And they only have to do it once.  The 'droid monsters will start to become Nexus tablets with cellular voice in order to grow much more, so they can't get too much larger one expects.  So Apple can have a "big thumb" model if they choose to go for it without abandoning their theories about how their devices "ought" to be used.  Even if some people with small thumbs buy them to get a genuine iPhone with a genuine competitively-sized screen even if they have to use two hands for many functions - as apparently many million of Android users are willing to do....

• Reply 104 of 142
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bigpics wrote: »
    The thumb ad feels defensive because it essentially is defensive.  It's not a "thumb" ad so much as it is "Hey, seriously, there IS an important reason why we don't make our screens wider.  Don't give in to the dark two-thumbs required side of the UI Force just 'cos their screens show photo material larger" (and with more real estate in some of the top competitors) (one of which at least temporarily near the end of our upgrade cycle outsold our flagship for a month this year).

Or, perhaps it's simply "here's just one of the reasons why we have the best phones on the market - we design them for you rather than forcing you to put up with arbitrary limitations."
  • Reply 105 of 142
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

The buying public clearly disagrees with you, since the number of total phones larger than 4-in is greater than the number of iPhones sold.

Got some numbers to back that up?

Some of the flagships have 4"+ screens, a lot of the cheaper phones, which form the bulk of Android activations are below 3"

• Reply 106 of 142
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

I like them. They are much better than the "I am an idiot Mac user" adds. Still a little classy...but edgy. I think it is a good mix.

I think the genius ads had potential. The character was likable. The mistake, however, was making it be Mac users needing help. The whole Apple mantra is the products are so intuitive people don't need help.

Instead, the commercials should have featured Window or Android users that needed help. The Genius would save the day by pulling out his Mac, iPad, or iPhone to show the Window or Android users how easy things are using Apple products. 

• Reply 107 of 142
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Apple's ads have sucked for years now. They are hokey and simple minded. I long for the days of "crazy ones," iMac rainbow, and the iPod silhouettes. The white background narrations lack creativity and intelligence. I hate them all.
  • Reply 108 of 142
    mac-user wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. I know it can also be understood as it tells why the screen being taller is better, comparing to the last iPhone, but my first thought was as a response of not being bigger, as it shows the limits of the fingers. Anyway, I can be wrong.

And about the right or left hand...
    that's why I was wondering as not only left-handed can have this habit, if we speak about holding the phone with the left, and touching with your right hand finger for input, as a right-handed. Although, typing with thumb I would do it with my right hand as I'm right-handed.

I can just see the new Android ad ... "Thumb Gymnastics"! Everything you use our phones, you can exercise your thumb and extend your reach!

As an aside, are there really any owners of those 4.5" screens that actually use their phones with one hand? Every time I see someone using one, they are always using two hands.
  • Reply 109 of 142
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Apple's ads have sucked for years now. They are hokey and simple minded. I long for the days of "crazy ones," iMac rainbow, and the iPod silhouettes. The white background narrations lack creativity and intelligence. I hate them all.

I don't think those would be as effective in getting new users. Let's remember that Apple dominates all the mindshare for all their products. Apple also has all the most important buyers already enjoying their products (most of them for a long time). Now it's getting those undecided bunch, those people that don't understand why Apple would be a better choice for them, people that will blindly think that a 4.8" phone is better than a 4" phone in the same way a bigger TV is typically a better experience.

Think of it like being a math teacher. You've created your lesson specifically for the class but you know a certain part of the class simply won't get it. Now, do you go even slower to serve the lowest-common-denomentator thus keeping everyone else behind or do you make a less that will work for the majority and then help others in small groups or individually with a different way of looking at the lesson.

That is what I think Apple is doing with these ads and with the Genius ads (which I liked). I know plenty of people that think sending their PC in for a warranted repair for several weeks at a time or having to pay some 3rd-party tech is normal. I think it's time Apple starts taking the hands of these people that can't discern quality, usability, or subtly for themselves. It does mean that the ads won't be as iconic, but they will sell more of their products and I bet most of those people will then wonder what they did before their Apple products.
  • Reply 110 of 142
    elehcdn wrote: »
    I can just see the new Android ad ... "Thumb Gymnastics"! Everything you use our phones, you can exercise your thumb and extend your reach!
    As an aside, are there really any owners of those 4.5" screens that actually use their phones with one hand? Every time I see someone using one, they are always using two hands.

I would imagine they would just have an ad that would use a very large hand, which I think they do anyway to make their phones seem more realistic.
  • Reply 111 of 142

When the tech becomes even more power efficient and processors even smaller, Apple could think about a phone looking like a wristwatch (as we thought they were gonna improve the last gen iPod Nano), you could use it with Siri, with a display on it showing brief infos, and communicating wireless with an accessory, a large screen display (with the necessary battery size behind it) that you hold wherever (in your bag e.g.). This is a thinking based on what we already know, what most people would imagine. Of course, I'd like to see some revolutionary ideas from Apple. The phone could charge with your pulse e.g.... :)

But the fact is, you don't need a big screen for using it as a phone. The problem with wristwatch is that you need a headset.

• Reply 112 of 142
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think those would be as effective in getting new users. Let's remember that Apple dominates all the mindshare for all their products. Apple also has all the most important buyers already enjoying their products (most of them for a long time). Now it's getting those undecided bunch, those people that don't understand why Apple would be a better choice for them, people that will blindly think that a 4.8" phone is better than a 4" phone in the same way a bigger TV is typically a better experience.

Think of it like being a math teacher. You've created your lesson specifically for the class but you know a certain part of the class simply won't get it. Now, do you go even slower to serve the lowest-common-denomentator thus keeping everyone else behind or do you make a less that will work for the majority and then help others in small groups or individually with a different way of looking at the lesson.

That is what I think Apple is doing with these ads and with the Genius ads (which I liked). I know plenty of people that think sending their PC in for a warranted repair for several weeks at a time or having to pay some 3rd-party tech is normal. I think it's time Apple starts taking the hands of these people that can't discern quality, usability, or subtly for themselves. It does mean that the ads won't be as iconic, but they will sell more of their products and I bet most of those people will then wonder what they did before their Apple products.

I understand the theory behind the ads. I am just pointing out that something was lost when Apple became so popular (largest corporation in the world). I have been an exclusive Mac user since the Apple II and LC days back in kindergarten. Well- my parents forced upon the family a Packard Hell when I was in middle school, but don't think I didn't protest it!! 

Back then being a Mac user was just.. different. We were more of a family. Now the mainstream hipsters have taken over. Not that I'm not ecstatic that Apple and Google have now dominated Microshaft. It's just that something is gained, and something is lost. 

• Reply 113 of 142
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apologies for being off topic (and posting on two articles, hoping to get a logical non-demeaning answer), can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. 

Serious question: If you didn't have the money last week but you do this week, it would seem, without knowing the details, that your income is somewhat pay day to pay day. Are you sure purchasing an expensive smart phone with an expensive data plan is a prudent course of action if that is indeed the situation? If I was a student working my way through college or on a limited budget I would consider an iPod Touch and an inexpensive feature phone.

• Reply 114 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

On Android and Apple phones, most people use one hand for some tasks and two hands for others. IPhones do allow you to do more with one hand, but no device requires two hands all the time and no device requires only one hand all the time. This is being overplayed, IMO. The experience of holding the iPhone 5 in one hand, however, is a bit unreal at first. I've had it for 2 days now and am still bewildered.

• Reply 115 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It takes time to manufacture millions of phones. You don't turn the switch and suddenly have 10 M phones in inventory. Apple undoubtedly started production the minute the design was finalized and the plants have been running flat out since then. They apparently had millions of phones available for the launch-which is more than any other company on the planet could have done.

They could have waited until they had 10 M phones in inventory, but what good would that have done? First, the orders would continue to come in, so it would have taken months to catch up. Second, this way at least SOME people get to use their phones early on.

Expecting Apple to have enough phones to satisfy demand on launch day is unreasonable.

Quote:

You are ignoring the number of people buying the devices. Let's say an Apple Store can hold 1000 extra iPhones in storage but they have more than 1000 customers for that day. Do you think the Store should pile them up outside like 2 liter bottles of Coke and Pepsi at a gas station convenience store?

Wait until Monday to see how many they sold this past weekend. Last year they sold 4 million units. Note that if you tried to order something from Amazon (an actual example) earlier in the week and wanted it delivered on Friday you couldn't get it. Thursday and Saturday were options, but not Friday. Now, I can't prove it was because of the iPhone but I can't think of another reason.

This isn't just some silly little launch. This is many millions of tangible units being moved in a very short period of time. Tangible is a key word here because unlike SW it has to stored within finite physical space and can't be duplicated with a simple copy command.

Remember when the Kinect was crowned the fastest selling consumer electronics device (even though it's just an accessory to CE) for selling 8 million units in its first 60 days? Well the iPhone 4S killed that but since Apple never reported it as such it was never recorded as such. They sold 4 million iPhone 4S's in the first weekend last year and with the 24 hour pre-orders doubling over last year It's possible that they could sell 8 million units of a $650-$850 smartphone in just 3 days on the market. I call that impressive on every level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Don't forget... Apple will be selling the iPhone 5 for the next year (and beyond actually)

It's not like this weekend is the ONLY time to buy an iPhone 5

And has others have stated... Apple has to make these things by hand. There is only so much manufacturing capability in the world (and Apple already has much of it!)

Just relax and the iPhone 5 will come to a store near you soon.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't agree, but thanks for answering. Appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Serious question: If you didn't have the money last week but you do this week, it would seem, without knowing the details, that your income is somewhat pay day to pay day. Are you sure purchasing an expensive smart phone with an expensive data plan is a prudent course of action if that is indeed the situation? If I was a student working my way through college or on a limited budget I would consider an iPod Touch and an inexpensive feature phone.

What? You are judging me based off one statement, are you insane? You don't know me or how I live. Like most Americans, it is widely stated most Americans are 2-3 paychecks away from being homeless or on welfare. I have a good job making good money and live in a nice home and travel internationally 1-2 times every year. However, I help some people financially who need money more than me and have upcoming travel plans. More important to travel to visit friends and family than buy a phone. Although, I don't need to tell you any of this, I find it outrageous you would judge anyone because they decided there are more important things in life than a phone. And seeing that I have an iPhone now and never missed a payment on this so-called "expensive" data plan, didn't know $58/month was expensive. Sorry, if I'm not rich like you, we can't all have Romney money, some of us are just regular people living life as best we can. You are the epitome of the "Apple snob." Don't judge people's lives off one statement.

• Reply 116 of 142
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

I know the song Melody but I had never looked her up before. She's quite a handsome women with that Filipino and Dutch heritage.

I am wondering why her last name is Earl when she was born, presumably, as Smithson. I'm guessing married because Kate Earl doesn't seem like a stage name.

Maybe...she's the Dutchess of Earl?

• Reply 117 of 142

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Oh, she married Gene Chandler?

• Reply 118 of 142
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Oh, she married Gene Chandler?

Well - He's not Dutch! ;-)

• Reply 119 of 142
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

What? You are judging me based off one statement, are you insane? You don't know me or how I live. Like most Americans, it is widely stated most Americans are 2-3 paychecks away from being homeless or on welfare. I have a good job making good money and live in a nice home and travel internationally 1-2 times every year. However, I help some people financially who need money more than me and have upcoming travel plans. More important to travel to visit friends and family than buy a phone. Although, I don't need to tell you any of this, I find it outrageous you would judge anyone because they decided there are more important things in life than a phone. And seeing that I have an iPhone now and never missed a payment on this so-called "expensive" data plan, didn't know $58/month was expensive. Sorry, if I'm not rich like you, we can't all have Romney money, some of us are just regular people living life as best we can. You are the epitome of the "Apple snob." Don't judge people's lives off one statement.

I was hoping that was not going to be your reaction which is why made my remarks conditional with lots of "ifs and "perhaps" I'm not judging you or criticizing you, and as a matter a fact I actually operate in that exact mode when I travel to my home country. I buy a local sim and use it in a basic flip phone while keeping my iPhone as essentially an iPod Touch for use on wifi. Sorry if you misunderstood my comments, however you must admit your remarks of not having money last week is a bit out of character with typical iPhone buyers. Believe me, I am no Romney fan, in fact completely the opposite.

• Reply 120 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

So where is the screw up Map ads? LOL.........

Give it until Monday.  I'm sure Samsung's ad agency is on it at this very moment.