Apple new Maps app hints company could extend service to Mac, PC browsers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Clearly.

• Reply 22 of 67

Google started outbreak of hostilities towards Apple, that was until then a reliable partner. They deserve countermeasures ....

• Reply 23 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple has not only dropped Google like a bad habit, they're bringing the heat to other platforms. Very nice. 

• Reply 25 of 67

Ah, the Jolly Green Giant.

"Fee, Fi, Fo, Ka-ching!"

• Reply 26 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Every forum website needs a troll or two.
    Otherwise we'd just get bored- right? :lol:

Not funny. You had around 17 useless and distracting posts in the thread about the NY Times and Apple doomsaying, a topic that was infinitely more interesting than your puerile interruptions. That thread ran to over 400, and you contributed alot to the litter and trash.

Your ilk is the reason that progress is so difficult in this era of senseless discord. Get out of the way.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Good. Apple maps are only going to get better. The more Apple can compete in Googles areas the better.

The only way to compete with Google is to become a full fledged search engine, which I hope Apple never does because that path leads to entanglement in the sleazy world of advertising. That is a pitfall that Apple really needs to be careful of. Maps and business locations is a slippery slope. You want to have a comprehensive business listing so you allow businesses to list themselves on the map, then you allow users to post reviews of said businesses and the next thing you know you are in the advertising business.

• Reply 28 of 67
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The only way to compete with Google is to become a full fledged search engine, which I hope Apple never does because that path leads to entanglement in the sleazy world of advertising. That is a pitfall that Apple really needs to be careful of. Maps and business locations is a slippery slope. You want to have a comprehensive business listing so you allow businesses to list themselves on the map, then you allow users to post reviews of said businesses and the next thing you know you are in the advertising business.

Hopefully, Apple will continue to partner with Yelp on business listings and leave search to Google. I agree, don't spread yourself too thin, Apple isn't a search company.Play to your strengths, you can't be everything.

Having said that, Google isn't a great partner, so I applaud them for finding alternatives.

• Reply 29 of 67

…become a full fledged search engine, which I hope Apple never does because that path leads to entanglement in the sleazy world of advertising. That is a pitfall that Apple really needs to be careful of.

Agreed.

• Reply 30 of 67
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Meanwhile, on topic...

As the mapping improves, I think it will get some converts - I quite like the look of the Apple maps (sure I am biased) and would use it in a browser when it's more mature. For now, I still use Google Maps.

• Reply 31 of 67
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Sorry but I don't see the train of thought here. You share to someone that is not using an iOS device and it sends you to a site that then translates and forwards you to some other service. How does that equal that Apple will ever make a web based service? Huge leaps of thought going there.

Contrary to some folks outlandish ideas, Apple is not trying to rule all things. They aren't trying to provide the best experience for everyone everywhere using anything. They are trying to provide the best experience to those that use their things. Period. If it happens to also be of benefit to someone that has no Apple hardware or software that's just icing. But the cake is their hardware and their software.

Right, trying to make sure sharing a location works even if you aren't on iOS, forwarding non-iOS clients to another service, is hardly evidence that Apple will eventually start serving them Maps directly. This is simply a no-brainer way to make sure that sharing works and not evidence of anything beyond that. One might as well claim that it "could mean" Apple is in negotiations to buy Google.

• Reply 32 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"Daddy, what is that tower called?"

"Hold on let me check my iPhone... it's called the leaning Tower of Piza."

"But I thought that was in Italy? We are in Washington, D.C. "

"..."

Hey fandroid genius, first of all, it's called Pisa, not Piza.

And second of all, it shows up just fine and accurate in Apple Maps.

Apple maps is not recommended for use by fandroids, retards and others with mental disabilities.

• Reply 33 of 67
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

The only way to compete with Google is to become a full fledged search engine...

Not so many years ago, everyone said that the only way Apple could compete with Microsoft was to license Mac OS. They were clearly wrong. The way to "compete with" Google, if that's what you want to do, is to make traditional search, and thus Google, obsolete.

• Reply 34 of 67

This makes sense and will greatly help Apple because it is simply easier to "annotate" on a computer larger than a phone.

• Reply 35 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Right- I'm sure PC users are clamoring for Apple Maps.

Nice of Apple to offer it though.

Right... it's not like they would appreciate having choice right?  I mean, I thought competition was good for the consumer right???

Oh wait, that's only good when it's Android/Google related...  /s

• Reply 36 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

"Pisa"

No onions on mine, please.

• Reply 37 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In some ways you're right but I think a great many people won't spend a lot for a computer when all they're going to use it for is email, Facebook, twitter, and browsing the net.

Well then, that explains the high sales of the iPad.

• Reply 38 of 67
    We have around thirty. None of them are needed.

Also, should that be taken as an admission of guilt?

No sir.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This makes perfect sense. Can't people see the potential benefits and why Apple will surely do this one day? The maps will be connected to your iCloud account.

- syncs bookmarks
    - syncs recent search histories
    - syncs recent routes

ETC. I'm sure Apple can come up with even more useful syncing options. Just messing with flyover on a big screen would be amazing.
  • Reply 40 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"Daddy, what is that tower called?"

"Hold on let me check my iPhone... it's called the leaning Tower of Piza."

"But I thought that was in Italy? We are in Washington, D.C. "

"..."

Pisa