Apple new Maps app hints company could extend service to Mac, PC browsers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Only if "our product is not the best user experience that could possibly exist" means the same thing as "we screwed up and our product stinks".

Clearly, those are not the same.

I don't have to tell you how far a troll can twist a word, eh? image

• Reply 62 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In some ways you're right but I think a great many people won't spend a lot for a computer when all they're going to use it for is email, Facebook, twitter, and browsing the net.

Thus the rise of the tablet, and yet another good reason for the "iPad mini."  

A cheap device that gramps can use to check his email and Facebook. 

• Reply 63 of 67
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Right- I'm sure PC users are clamoring for Apple Maps.
    Nice of Apple to offer it though.

Well I'm a PC user and I don't mind having another maps provider. Apple will have to improve their maps before they became viable choice here in NZ, but once done, I have no problem giving them a go - I'm already using multiple maps. Maybe I'll like flyover feature. Maybe there will be something else competition didn't cover equally good. End of the day, even if I personally don't end up using them, additional competition will make them all try harder to improve and keep current. One way or another, I'm likely to have benefit of having iMaps on my PCs.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's for all those trillions of PC users who are insanely jealous of Apple products but are too cheap to actually buy them. Apple wants to give them a chance to experience great products, even if they're too poor to afford one.

Just because iSheldon is trolling (or at least perceived to) shouldn't be excuse for everyone else... a bit disappointing, really.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Apple can have there maps on or even a website only accessible to apple devices, if it is accessible by a windows it drops value. It can be online and accessible by a apple only software(for apple products only). Though probably the biggest move would be a osx pre installed app(they could sell it on the Mac App Store cheaper.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple can have there maps on or even a website only accessible to apple devices, if it is accessible by a windows it drops value. It can be online and accessible by a apple only software(for apple products only). Though probably the biggest move would be a osx pre installed app(they could sell it on the Mac App Store cheaper.

That wouldn't be a good move. Imagine how well the iPod would have done without Apple building iTunes for Windows.

Now consider that for all the Windows PCs — which most people still use at work even if they have a Mac at home — they would then be redirected to Google Maps if they are sent a map link from Apple Maps. The only way to be the de facto mapping software is to get as many people using it as possible.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    solipsismx wrote: »

That wouldn't be a good move. Imagine how well the iPod would have done without Apple building iTunes for Windows.

Now consider that for all the Windows PCs — which most people still use at work even if they have a Mac at home — they would then be redirected to Google Maps if they are sent a map link from Apple Maps. The only way to be the de facto mapping software is to get as many people using it as possible.

Ding ding ding!