Apple new Maps app hints company could extend service to Mac, PC browsers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    flaneur wrote: »
    Not funny. You had around 17 useless and distracting posts in the thread about the NY Times and Apple doomsaying, a topic that was infinitely more interesting than your puerile interruptions. That thread ran to over 400, and you contributed alot to the litter and trash.
    Your ilk is the reason that progress is so difficult in this era of senseless discord. Get out of the way.

"Senseless discord"? HA!
    Not only did NYT write about it but Tim Cook apologized for it and Apple retracted its very own advertising claims. Sorry- not even you can't right an Apple wrong.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    More users = better data.

Roll on maps.apple.com
  • Reply 43 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    This makes perfect sense. Can't people see the potential benefits and why Apple will surely do this one day? The maps will be connected to your iCloud account.
    - syncs bookmarks
    - syncs recent search histories
    - syncs recent routes
    ETC. I'm sure Apple can come up with even more useful syncing options. Just messing with flyover on a big screen would be amazing.

I like this thinking ahead. Your own information embedded in your map of the world. Noetic cartography.

Add stereo 3D flyover and we would have the vision of the gods. Religion would be obsolete, replaced by plantetary ecstasy.

I'd say it's five years out at the max. Keep on mapping, Apple.

Edit: "ecstasy" meaning "ouside one's usual self," or "transported."
  • Reply 44 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    isheldon wrote: »
    "Senseless discord"? HA!
    Not only did NYT write about it but Tim Cook apologized for it and Apple retracted its very own advertising claims. Sorry- not even you can't right an Apple wrong.

I was speaking a little more generally, wasn't I. As in, no good intentioned act of progress can get past the endless carping from backward people who prefer the past to the future.

I have no doubt that iMaps has problems, but the reasons for cutting out Google far outweigh them. That is a future-oriented observation. The Dan Lyonses and the Joe Noceras refuse to confront those reasons.

You, on the other hand, are just obstructing for dollars, or for the perverse fun of it.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    If Apple are not licensing this redirected traffic, I'd expect this to break pretty quickly.

Apple either run their own maps services, or not.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    I would rather see them release a native Mac OS X app that can take advantage of the vector tiles and the GPU.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

If Apple are not licensing this redirected traffic, I'd expect this to break pretty quickly.

Apple either run their own maps services, or not.

So, you think Google will cut off its nose when they hear of this? (Although, I'm sure they already know all about it.) I very much doubt it.

They are simply using published URL formats for referencing locations via Google Maps. If Google were to "break it", they'd also be cutting off traffic sent to them from thousands, perhaps millions, of web sites that use Google Maps to provide visitors with location information. All Apple is doing is redirecting "browsers" to Google Maps if those aren't identified as running on iOS.

So, what you are suggesting is that if someone on an iPhone "shares" a location with a friend who has an Android phone (ignoring the fact that people choose their friends by the smartphone they use), Google would somehow want to block the Android user from bringing up the location in Google Maps. Sounds ridiculous when you think about it that way, right?

• Reply 48 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isheldon wrote: »
    "Senseless discord"? HA!

No matter how many times you spread FUD, it doesn't become true.

Cook did not apologize for releasing Maps. He did not apologize for Maps itself. He apologized for any inconvenience that might have been caused - which is PR-speak for "there's nothing wrong with our product, but we're sorry you're disappointed".
  • Reply 49 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Sorry but I don't see the train of thought here. You share to someone that is not using an iOS device and it sends you to a site that then translates and forwards you to some other service. How does that equal that Apple will ever make a web based service? Huge leaps of thought going there.

Contrary to some folks outlandish ideas, Apple is not trying to rule all things. They aren't trying to provide the best experience for everyone everywhere using anything. They are trying to provide the best experience to those that use their things. Period. If it happens to also be of benefit to someone that has no Apple hardware or software that's just icing. But the cake is their hardware and their software.

I agree that having an Apple maps web site just to handle map-sharing to non-Apple devices and computers makes little sense... at least at this time.

But it may be worthwhile to have such a web site to report errors, user source map and POI entries, etc.

In the future it may become a requirement that Apple maps has a web presence -- to support the concept on moving seemlessly among iPads, iPhones and Macs.

I expect that many 3rd-party developers will take advantage of Apple maps on the iPad and iPhone apps...  It makes sense that they use the same interface on their web sites.

For example, a travel agent uses Apple Maps on iPads to present a travel itinerary to a customer -- in the customer's living room.  Then this itinerary is sent to the customer, and his friends and relatives who may not have Macs...  They are directed to the travel agent's web site which uses the Apple Maps web site to present the itinerary.  It would be counter-productive to the travel agent (and Apple) to wedge Google maps and the incumbent (and potentially competitive) ads into the picture.  

One of the features of Apple maps that should be of great appeal to Travel Agents and their customers is if they can interactively 3D FlyOver locations on the itinerary... it's fun and informative... Now, providing that same experience, via [Apple maps on] the web to friends and relatives of the customer... allows then to have fun too, while following along, vicariously.   What travel agent do you think these friends and relatives will use when planning their next trip?

Come along with us on our European tour... From London to Paris, then cruise the Rhine...

Apple Maps 3D FlyOver will be the Loreli "Siren Song" to travel agents and their customers.

Or even the family planning their vacation:

Then, there are the overlay and layering capabilities of Apple maps... you see a little bit of this now, as the street names and streets displayed vary with the level of detail -- these are layers if detail overlaid on top of a basic map or satellite view.  But PlaceBase maps (the foundation of Apple maps) has much broader overlay capabilities -- anything from population density, annual rainfall, number registered voters by party, average household income, age of roads and bridges infrastructure, type of store within a shopping mall, business offices on floors of an office building... almost any, and any number of, demographic you want to present.

These are the areas where Apple maps will realize their real potential... and they need to be available wherever you are -- even if sitting at a friend's Windows PC.

• Reply 50 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Cook did not apologize for releasing Maps. He did not apologize for Maps itself. He apologized for any inconvenience that might have been caused…

I dunno, this:

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment.

Sounds like it can be interpreted as such.

• Reply 51 of 67
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's for all those trillions of PC users who are insanely jealous of Apple products but are too cheap to actually buy them. Apple wants to give them a chance to experience great products, even if they're too poor to afford one.

Actually, getting iTunes for Windows was my first taste of the Apple way of doing things - and blew away the clunky PC solutions I'd tried, e.g., the spammy beyond measure RealPlayer, even tho' that had a better interface than Windows' own half-baked-in "solutions" - and that led to my first Apple product purchase in 2004.

My work means I'll be using both Mac and Windows likely for the rest of my life, but I believe that next year's Haswell MacBooks (Air or Pro) - which bode better than Ivy Bridge performance and truly outstanding battery life, as in hopefully a leap forward - will be the first where I'll have them both on the same machine via like VM Ware Fusion after Win 8 itself is "service-packed" and the emulators truly manage it well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

"Pisa"

What?!?  And here for all these years I was sure it was "Pizza"........ 

• Reply 52 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Good. Apple maps are only going to get better. The more Apple can compete in Googles areas the better.

The only way to compete with Google is to become a full fledged search engine, which I hope Apple never does because that path leads to entanglement in the sleazy world of advertising. That is a pitfall that Apple really needs to be careful of. Maps and business locations is a slippery slope. You want to have a comprehensive business listing so you allow businesses to list themselves on the map, then you allow users to post reviews of said businesses and the next thing you know you are in the advertising business.

...or rating apps in the app store...

The secret is how it is administered... it has to be open, above-board and controlled to prevent spamming, etc.

• Reply 53 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The only way to compete with Google is to become a full fledged search engine...

Not so many years ago, everyone said that the only way Apple could compete with Microsoft was to license Mac OS. They were clearly wrong. The way to "compete with" Google, if that's what you want to do, is to make traditional search, and thus Google, obsolete.

Oye, Oye, Oye!

• Reply 54 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oye, Oye, Oye!

Oggy Oggy Oggy?

• Reply 55 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This makes perfect sense. Can't people see the potential benefits and why Apple will surely do this one day? The maps will be connected to your iCloud account.

- syncs bookmarks

- syncs recent search histories

- syncs recent routes

ETC. I'm sure Apple can come up with even more useful syncing options. Just messing with flyover on a big screen would be amazing.

I like this thinking ahead. Your own information embedded in your map of the world. Noetic cartography.

Add stereo 3D flyover and we would have the vision of the gods. Religion would be obsolete, replaced by plantetary ecstasy.

I'd say it's five years out at the max. Keep on mapping, Apple.

Edit: "ecstasy" meaning "ouside one's usual self," or "transported."

I'd be happy with "sweet release".

• Reply 56 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oye, Oye, Oye!

Oggy Oggy Oggy?

Listen!  Listen up!  Listen to him!... IOW, pay attention, He speaks the truth!

• Reply 57 of 67

Uh oh...

I think Apple Maps will be sued for "prior art"

for

What's really odd is this video of Hoover Dam from C3 Technologies:

There is a disconnect with Apple Maps and the above...

• Reply 58 of 67
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    These rightful jabs at Maps will seem short-lived when they update iOS 6.x
  • Reply 59 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

These rightful jabs at Maps will seem short-lived when they update iOS 6.x

I hope so...

I was surprised and somewhat disappointed with the iOS 6 beta -- when it didn't show 3D of some cities like London, Oslo, etc...  These had been shown in C3 demos before Apple bought them -- so the 3D vector data already existed.  

Maybe the data wasn't owned by C3, or they didn't have the proper military clearance to use it???

Some other potential uses for Apple Maps (including 3D FlyOver) are:

1. video games

2. military war games and simulations

3. recreation of famous historic battles -- remove recent buildings, etc.

4. artistic and video effects

• Reply 60 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I dunno, this:

Sounds like it can be interpreted as such.

Only if "our product is not the best user experience that could possibly exist" means the same thing as "we screwed up and our product stinks".

Clearly, those are not the same.