Apple says purple fringing is normal for iPhone 5 camera

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 94
    Apple seems to be taking its cues from Micrsoft. There are no problems; they are features.

    Anyone taking bets that Apple's stock will drop into the low 500s before the end of the year?

  • Reply 42 of 94
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,439member


    It is NOT chroma abberation. CA shows strong purple fringes.


     


    That's a len flare with purple haze. It's nothing you can do about it. Really.


     


    dpreview.com did review on it and said the same thing:


     


    "The most likely cause of the iPhone 5's purple haze is probably lens flare and internal reflections in the camera lens assembly. All lenses are succeptable to lens flare to some degree, and as you can see from the images at the top of this page, the iPhone 4S isn't immune either (ditto the iPhone 4 and competitive smartphones from other manufacturers)." 


     


    "Really, our advice is not to worry. Just do what you should do anyway, and avoid putting bright lights near the edge of the frame when shooting."


     


    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6867454450/quick-review-apple-iphone-5-camera/3


     


    End of discussion. 

  • Reply 43 of 94
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,100member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by netrox View Post


    It is NOT chroma abberation. CA shows strong purple fringes.


     


    That's a len flare with purple haze. It's nothing you can do about it. Really.


     


    dpreview.com did review on it and said the same thing:


     


    "The most likely cause of the iPhone 5's purple haze is probably lens flare and internal reflections in the camera lens assembly. All lenses are succeptable to lens flare to some degree, and as you can see from the images at the top of this page, the iPhone 4S isn't immune either (ditto the iPhone 4 and competitive smartphones from other manufacturers)." 


     


    "Really, our advice is not to worry. Just do what you should do anyway, and avoid putting bright lights near the edge of the frame when shooting."


     


    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6867454450/quick-review-apple-iphone-5-camera/3


     


    End of discussion. 





    The flaw in your logic is that you're using logic.  This will not appease the iHating fandroid a$$hats that are spewing their Apple-hatred everywhere.  Who cares that every camera (phone and dedicated) out there suffers from lens flare in their own way.  All that matters is that Apple has the problem and nothing more.



    Jeez, I wish mods on all the forums would clamp down on the trolls.  It just really makes me think that the owners of these sites allow it to go on simply for the page hits.  It really becomes a drag to sift through 99% trash to find anything meaningful.



    I have a passion for underwater photography, and guess what??? When I take photos underwater and point the camera up when the sun is up there, I get the exact same thing with a dedicated camera rig!!!



    Fricken sh!theads.  I'd tolerate it if it had even a shred of truth to it, but the reality is they are just hating for the sake of hating.

  • Reply 45 of 94
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    shompa wrote: »
    Everyone with an iPhone5 I know have this problem. 


    Purple haze on ordinary pictures. Something that does not appear on other cameras/phones including the iPhone4S. 

    Many of the Apple fans/users I know are returning their iphones. Something I have not seen in over 12 years following Apple products. This is huge. 

    Antenna gate (that was really a non issue, since it was a USA/AT&T problem) can't compare to this. Lens covers solves the problem. Maybe Apple will release free lens covers? 

    Otherwise: this is a flawed design. Steve would fire Tim on the spot. 

    You troll as badly as you handle the English language.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Flare is a problem that can affect lenses costing many hundreds of pounds/dollars to one degree or another. Maybe Apple should consider a coating on their new lens but actually people could learn some photography basics and the problem would be minimised. Or some manufacturer can work out a way of attaching a tiny lens hood... but that's my idea and I expect Apple and Samsung to get in the queue to buy it.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shompa View Post


    Steve would fire Tim on the spot. 



  • Reply 48 of 94


    BREAKING NEWS


    CAMERA SUFFERS FROM LENS FLARE


    EVERYONE PANIC


     


    ANDROID USERS R**E EACH OTHER IN THANKS FOR A WEAK EXCUSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT APPLE


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


     


  • Reply 49 of 94
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member


     


    Interesting.


     



     


     


    I'm not a photography expert (which I'm sure you are), but when doing a test like this, shouldn't the pictures be taken in the same position and at roughly the same time of day?


     


    I only mention it because the crane in the background seems to be in a completely different position.

  • Reply 50 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rayz wrote: »
    Interesting.

    LL


    I'm not a photography expert (which I'm sure you are), but when doing a test like this, shouldn't the pictures be taken in the same position and at roughly the same time of day?

    I only mention it because the crane in the background seems to be in a completely different position.

    Well, yes. That would make sense. But the iHaters refuse to do anything that makes sense.

    It's like Maps-gate. While there's a ton of whining about how bad Apple's Maps are, no one is willing to do a side-by-side comparison of Apple Maps vs Google Maps under the same conditions. They'd rather simply live in their fact-free Apple-hating world. (Consumer Reports was the sole exception and they found that there was no real difference between the two in terms of accuracy).
  • Reply 51 of 94
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post



    This is a camera design problem.


     


    I don't have an iPhone 5 to play with, but I'd perhaps characterize this as a "design limitation". You want a high resolution camera in a device this thin, this is one of the limitations you are going to have to accept. It might/should be possible to improve it, either with lens design of software, but for a device this thin you are going to be bending light at pretty sharp angles to get it focused on the sensor, likely contributing to the purple shift (from the few photos I've looked at this goes beyond typical purple fringing).


     


    Of course, Apple can't say this...it would make their drive toward thin look like a bad decision (pros and cons in all design decisions). It is was it is. Is it an issue Apple can perhaps improve on? Probably. Is it the end of the world? Certainly not.


     


    Edit: Recall the issue a few years ago where it appeared Apple dropped the camera from the iPod touch at the last minute? The suspected reason was that the camera modules they had to fit in the super thin touch was not of good enough quality. The thinner you try to make a camera the more limitations you are going to have to try to address with the design of the camera. You are going to eventually get to the point where you perhaps can't design around the limitations and you'll just have to accept it.

  • Reply 52 of 94

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post


     


    Interesting.


     



     


     


    I'm not a photography expert (which I'm sure you are), but when doing a test like this, shouldn't the pictures be taken in the same position and at roughly the same time of day?


     


    I only mention it because the crane in the background seems to be in a completely different position.



     


    If you would do some research you'd find lots of those picture comparisons. And if you don't trust them then maybe you should perform your own tests. Maybe you can provide some pictures to prove all smartphone cameras have the same issue.

  • Reply 53 of 94
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kermitos View Post


     


    If you would do some research you'd find lots of those picture comparisons. And if you don't trust them then maybe you should perform your own tests. Maybe you can provide some pictures to prove all smartphone cameras have the same issue.



     


    If you'd done some research and found a decent comparison before running here for your first troll, then you wouldn't have tripped on your first step and fallen flat on your face ... image

  • Reply 54 of 94
    When I was taking photography classes in high school, some 35 years ago, lens flare such as that seen in this photo was called one of two things, a "special effect" or a "bad picture." Nobody ever mentioned "camera design flaw."

    /bs
  • Reply 55 of 94

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post


     


    If you'd done some research and found a decent comparison before running here for your first troll, then you wouldn't have tripped on your first step and fallen flat on your face ... image



     


    Well you can believe whatever you want, it's not really my problem.


     


    I've seen lots of comparisons and people complaining about the issue and saying it wasn't happening with their 4S.


    Do you have anything to prove that it's just as radical with other phones aswell? Oh wait, you don't have to because I'm just trolling.


    Sorry. Continue and enjoy taking pictures.

  • Reply 56 of 94
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member


    Wouldn't HDR mode help? has anyone tried taking the same shot again? 


     


    and aside from action shots that you cannot ask to be repeated - it is so easy to take another picture right away if you are not happy with the results - its not like you take a picture and have to wait 24 hours to see the results. 


     


    and perhaps there will be some sort of option such as red eye removal that can address this either on the fly or in Edit mode.


     


     
  • Reply 57 of 94
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kermitos View Post


     


    Well you can believe whatever you want, it's not really my problem.


     


    I've seen lots of comparisons and people complaining about the issue and saying it wasn't happening with their 4S.


    Do you have anything to prove that it's just as radical with other phones aswell? Oh wait, you don't have to because I'm just trolling.


    Sorry. Continue and enjoy taking pictures.



     


    I will. Thanks. 


     


    And please come again, it's been an absolute treat.


     


    :-)


     


    I wonder how many people have decided to jump in based on complaints they've "seen"?

  • Reply 58 of 94

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post


     


    I will. Thanks. 


     


    And please come again, it's been an absolute treat.


     


    :-)



     


    My pleasure. Just curious did you even look at all the pictures from the test that I pasted? You seemed to just stick to the first pictures.

  • Reply 59 of 94
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post



    When I was taking photography classes in high school, some 35 years ago, lens flare such as that seen in this photo was called one of two things, a "special effect" or a "bad picture." Nobody ever mentioned "camera design flaw." /bs


    World we live in ... :-(

  • Reply 60 of 94

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post


    If it's not a common occurrence, great. I don't see it as a problem.


    But what I see in the example image in the article is very unusual. I've never seen flaring like that from a headlight!


    If it routinely occurs in that kind of a lighting situation, it's a glaring (no pun . . . ) camera design fault.



    Do you even own an iPhone 5? Have you experienced this problem yourself? Why are you so devoted to this issue if:


    1) It is not affecting you or,


    2) You don't even use this phone


     


    Just when I start feeling good about the Internet, I stumble back into these forums and read these threads.

Sign In or Register to comment.