Apple says purple fringing is normal for iPhone 5 camera

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Crappy Map, terrible camera, buggy cellular.... Apple is doom!

Just wait, when all the electronics and electricity in the world shuts down and won't turn back on, you'll be begging for that POS iPhone 5.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    People really have nothing better to do. If they don't like the iPhone, nobody forces them to buy it.
  • Reply 83 of 94
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Cue? It's already queued. A 5 min skim of comment sections..

(yes, this guy is actually outraged that Apple is 'infringing upon his freedoms' with their response. No doubt he's taken similar outraged stances against other issues which do actually infringe freedom. No, I doubt it.)

The vicious, kneejerk Apple hatred online is stunning. If I could bottle it up it would have quite the destructive power. Keep in mind:

1- every single camera ever produced will have some type of fringing when pointing a certain way at a strong light source. 
    2. I've taken a couple hundred photos with the iPhone 5, many which include the sun, and not once have I experienced this purple fringing. 

But yes, it's quite possible to get fringing when pointing at the sun, etc, which my $1,500 SLR also gets.

But I think the media should run with this, I expect some hard hitting piece from the NYT, Washington Post, and another heartfelt analogy from Tim Cook for this unforgiveable travesty. 

I'm seriously starting to get nauseous and losing all faith in humanity by this spoiled, whiny, entitled, ignorant sense of entitlement and faux outrage. Do people not recall it was only 5 years ago when a touchscreen phone entailed using a shitty stylus to try and get a shitty resistive screen to register your taps after after 9 times? I recall it well. God knows where'd we'd still be if Apple didn't pull us out of the darkness, but now, it's an outrage if they don't single-handedly solve the physics of light which has plagued every camera on the planet in their phone. 

Problem here might be, according to some reports, iP5 has much more haze than iP4s in the same conditions. There might be a perfectly good reason for that - wider aperture, changed lens angle, requirements for thinner case thus thinner camera module dictating different lens design)... but for number of everyday Joe users, the only obvious thing will be that camera is not as good as previous iPhone. I think it is in human nature, not being able to balance good and bad, but accepting good for granted, and focusing on bad.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    jragosta wrote: »
    So which is the correct terminology: cameragate or lensgate?

Purplegate?
  • Reply 85 of 94
    well, not really… I can recreate a similar kind of effect using my Canon DSLR… so I guess what we're saying here is that ALL camera designs are faulty? And some people are apparently angry that Apple hasn't 're-invented' THAT part of the camera (never mind that this camera takes nicer photos than a digital SLR I had only 5 years ago…!).

You really had SLR 5 years ago?

Because, I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a pixel peeper... and I haven't seen phone camera, or a compact camera (save for RX100) that gives better output than my 7 years old Nikon D70s.

Technology advances, but still not fast enough to substitute for large glass and large sensor.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    The above is true. There is not a single DSLR ever made that takes worse photos under all but optimal conditions compared to the iPhone 5. Compacts? Sure. DSLR? Uh, no.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

well, not really… I can recreate a similar kind of effect using my Canon DSLR… so I guess what we're saying here is that ALL camera designs are faulty? And some people are apparently angry that Apple hasn't 're-invented' THAT part of the camera (never mind that this camera takes nicer photos than a digital SLR I had only 5 years ago…!).

You really had SLR 5 years ago?

Because, I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a pixel peeper... and I haven't seen phone camera, or a compact camera (save for RX100) that gives better output than my 7 years old Nikon D70s.

Technology advances, but still not fast enough to substitute for large glass and large sensor.

Agreed. But the casual observer can be fooled by post-processing designed to accentuate saturation and other "impressive" character. The benefits of the large lens and bigger sensor are not always apparent if you don't look closely and don't print or display large.

• Reply 88 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

1) My daughter does and it is effecting her.  What people are failing to grasp here is that on the 3, 3G, 4 and 4S this was not a common issue.  People using these phones just like to snap pictures with little to know thought going into composition.  Prior to the 5, it was a no brainer, now this is not the case and it is frustrating to them and her. 

it's effecting your daughter? and what does little to know thought mean?

• Reply 89 of 94
    purple pics, map gate, peeling paint!

was the 5 released prematurely?

what would Steve say?
  • Reply 90 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ElmoDog View Post

was the 5 released prematurely?

No. And it's not paint.

what would Steve say?

"You look like a fool for asking this."?

• Reply 91 of 94
    No. And it's not paint.

can't you make a comment without including a nasty snide remark.
  • Reply 92 of 94

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. And it's not paint.

TS was suggesting that was what Steve would say.

• Reply 93 of 94

Can't you remove "Steve would never have" from your 'arguments'? 

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Well, partially.

• Reply 94 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't you remove "Steve would never have" from your 'arguments'? 

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Well, partially.

Well, of course. Two birds with one stone.